• Netflix: Stranger Things 2 (2017) - Review

By now you would've probably binge-watched the entire season 2 of Stranger Things. While some might be watching it one episode at a time, I think it is safe to say that we're all excited to come back to Hawkins Indiana. To reunite with the wonderful, funny and amazing gang of the AV club: Mike, Dustin, Caleb and Will.

We had two of our resident movie reviewers watch the entire season and share their thoughts about the latest show that's beginning to be a cult favorite.

Courtesy of Netflix

First, let's open with what did you think of the first season of Stranger Things?
    jesjman: For me, the strongest elements of the first season were definitely the '80s nostalgia setting and the characters that made up the gang: Mike, Lucas, Dustin, and Eleven. The premise is definitely unique, and I could understand its appeal, but I wasn't a huge fan because the plot felt a little forced, and some arcs dragged on. Regardless, it held my attention and curiosity 'til the end.
    kidrender: The first few episodes of season 1 instantly turned me into a fan. It was refreshing, funny, interesting, and the characters are hella adorable!

What are your expectations for Season 2?
    J: The last episode of the first season definitely left the audience hanging, so I was just expecting that the second season pick up from there. I was also looking forward to more antics from the gang.
    K: Coming off the first season's finale, I was hoping for the second season to expand the universe by giving us an in-depth look at the characters, provide more answers about the Nether/ Upside Down, while also opening up tons of mysteries about Hawkins and the Demogorgons.

Courtesy of Netflix

Did you think season 2 lived up to the hype?
    J: I think fans will enjoy the new season. The essence of the first season is preserved, and fans will enjoy the new mysteries, suspense and the ride.
    K: A big YES! Season 2 met every expectation that I had and surpassed it, even.

Should we expect a darker and stranger season?
    J: It is stranger, yes, and more chaotic!
    K: Totally. Stranger Things season 2 hyped up the horror factor this time. It not only paid homage to the classic horror movies of the 80's, it also tackled some pretty dark issues such as abuse.

Courtesy of Netflix

Which episode is your favorite and why?
    J: The first episode was my favorite. It just sweeps you over with '80s feels again, and it was a good pilot to set where the characters since the last season, what to expect, and it had the best cliffhanger at the end of the episode.
    K: My favorite ARE the fifth and sixth episode of the season. Those episodes hit the right balance of drama, horror, and comedy. And Noah Schnapp (Will) stood out on those episodes.

Who is your favorite character in the show?
    J: Eleven used to be my favorite character in the first season, but I felt like she took a little backseat this season, Dustin took the spot. He curses like a sailor at 13 years old, but he is that fun friend you always want to be around. I know it's cliché to pick the funniest character in the show, but he livens up every scene he is in.
    K: Dustin will always be my favorite character in the show

Courtesy of Netflix

How did this season compare to the first one?
    J: This season just builds on the first show, so it's definitely similar in a lot of ways. I think the writing was a little weaker and lazier this season, as there were many cheesy parts and some character treatments could be better and less predictable. Personally, the first season was stronger in terms of suspense and premise, but the second season is successful in maintaining the momentum.
    K: Season 2 is what sequels should be doing- pick up where the first one left off, answer those questions, and start new mysteries to be solved in the next one.

Courtesy of Netflix

What are your favorite moments in season 2?

How do you find the new characters?
    J: For me, it seems that the new characters are not very memorable or an instant crowd favorite, but each of them opens a side of the original characters. They serve their purpose well that way, but in terms of the plot, their contribution is not that important.
    K: To avoid spoiling it- two of them are great and important to the plot while one is obviously added to simply ignite tension.

Overall tell me what you think about this season.
    J: The second season of Stranger Things is back and this time more chaotic, and I think fans will not be disappointed. Despite the writing flaws and predictability, I think it's still enjoyable for what it's worth and next season is definitely something to look forward to.
    K: This season is met with extreme hype but it delivered and even exceeded the expectations that fans had. The best thing about it is how it expanded the universe and made the story more than just about Hawkins. It did all that without compromising the character development, which by the way is astounding.

Netflix's Stranger Things 2 is now streaming! Check out www.netflix.com for more details!

Follow them on:
    Twitter: @stranger_things
    Instagram: @strangerthingsTV
    Facebook: facebook.com/strangerthingstv
    #str​angerthings
    Go back to Netflix's Stranger Things thread

Advertisement

Advertisement

Custom Search