COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

UP Basketball 3: New Age of WINNING MAROONS

Comments

• blakesiyblakesiy Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Share ko lang. I was in Pop Up Katipunan last Nov 8, actually Nov 9 around 1 or 2am. Nakita ko dun si ricci rivero. 

At the back of my mind, I was like, "DIBA MAY GAME KAAAA?!?! Bat ka nandito???"

Kasama din ata nila dun si Kim Gequillana ng Ateneo

Yun lang
  • FITL97FITL97 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    blakesiy said:
    Share ko lang. I was in Pop Up Katipunan last Nov 8, actually Nov 9 around 1 or 2am. Nakita ko dun si ricci rivero. 

At the back of my mind, I was like, "DIBA MAY GAME KAAAA?!?! Bat ka nandito???"

Kasama din ata nila dun si Kim Gequillana ng Ateneo

Yun lang
    A part of me really wants to like Ricci because of my hatred of DLSU, as the brainwashed born-and-raised Atenean for 12 years, it doubles as a success story at the expense of their school. But ayun, I'll assume what you're saying is true, and it just feeds into their reputation na wala talagang disiplina yung magkakapatid pagdating sa mga ganun. Nung Season 80 finals Prince Rivero was also out partying during the series, don't know about Ricci though.

A current Ateneo player also shared with me before that he felt Prince has the fastest metabolism and is overall a physical specimen pero wala talagang disiplina. Looks like Ricci got at least the same genes and maybe a better work ethic pero his kuya and all the other outside ***** and influences could have done a lot of harm in the long run. Right niya naman magsaya if he wants to but I enjoy hearing stories about discipline and hard work moreso than anything. 

If he does stay in UP, I hope he fixes his act. Enjoyed watching him defensively but seeing him hog the ball gave me shades of Bo Perasol-Era Kiefer Ravena haha not a time I want to revisit. 
  • FITL97FITL97 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited November 14
    Going back to Coach Bo, to give him credit he was responsible naman for UP's turnaround but I do hope he himself realizes that while he's a good recruiter and can at the very least manage good players, he really isn't a coach that can lead a team to a championship. I've heard too many stories that while he can come up with ideas and adjustments at the very least, wala talagang alam sa x's and o's. 

Sana siya mismo mag-insist na dapat palitan na siya.
  • kikini_kiannakikini_kianna Member 🐃 Tamaraw Squad
    Don't be too judgmental. Sa tapat lang ang condo nila and they may be eating in Pop-up because it's the nearest place to their condo and nag-crave in the middle of the night. Pwedeng nakatulog naman na earlier tas nagutom di ba? Hindi lang naman inuman ang Pop-up. May samgyup dun haha. Also, baka rin important thing lang and dumaan lang sya? Daming pwedeng scenario. 
    At the end of the day, di lang sya ang player na nagpupuyat hanggang 3am. hahaha
    edited November 14
    FITL97 said:
    Going back to Coach Bo, to give him credit he was responsible naman for UP's turnaround but I do hope he himself realizes that while he's a good recruiter and can at the very least manage good players, he really isn't a coach that can lead a team to a championship. I've heard too many stories that while he can come up with ideas and adjustments at the very least, wala talagang alam sa x's and o's. 

I think he insists, pero he is respectful enough to discuss things first sa management/admin/sponsors. mabait yan si bo sobra. wag natin pangunahan. his interview with the press last wed was proof na he knows what to do na. it's just that baka mabigla naman lahat pag di sila nag-usap muna. that's the most professional thing to do.
  • Milo96Milo96 Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    edited November 14
    I think it's insanity to think changing coach will automatically mean an improvement in performance. 

I hope those calling for Bo's head realized they did without a replacement yet. 

Even Ateneo had Tab within the organization ahead of Bo's replacement.

I'm hearing suggestions that quite honestly haven't proven themselves against the quality Bo faced in the seniors tournament. 
  • _Phoenix7__Phoenix7_ BEST IN THE WORLD. PEx Expert 🎖️
    Milo96 said:
    I think it's insanity to think changing coach will automatically mean an improvement in performance. 

I hope those calling for Bo's head realized they did without a replacement yet. 

Even Ateneo had Tab within the organization ahead of Bo's replacement.

I'm hearing suggestions that quite honestly hasn't proven themselves against the quality Bo faced in the seniors tournament. 
    Ayo improved UST's performance definitelt. And he wasn't with UST prior to him being the HC.

Just saying, there's more than one way to do things. Not saying your thoughts are wrong - it's more like it isn't the sole correct idea.
    gelodude said:
    Milo96 said:
    gelodude said:
    Lintik itong ilang posters nasa UST vs FEU thread. kung sino daw winner yun daw magfinals. Pareho lang din naman tinalo ng Ateneo yan eh. So funny. HAHAHA! Duh, may twice to beat kami. Tsaka who on UST or FEU can stop Paras unlike La Salle who had Malonzo? We had close winnable games vs those 2 schools in round 2. I like our chances.
    Hehe. Funny nga. 

Wala ka bang buhay maliban sa UP dep*ta ka. Nag backread pa. hahahah. What a loser! Dito pa nakatambay.

Closet USTe fan ba to? Eh dudurugin lang yan ng Ateneo. hahahaha!

Nagsalita ang tumambay sa thread ng FEU vs UST. 

Anyway, that's karma for underestimating UST. 

Next time choose your words wisely since here in pex, your hubris shall be recorded for posterity. 

I dont blame you though. Who wouldn't think the best team on paper would finish 3rd when UP replaced Paul D with highly touted mercenaries Kobe and Ricci to help the reigning MVP this season 82.

Bandwagon fans tend to make that mistake. 
  • Outlander38Outlander38 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Wealth of talent

November 14, 2019

By Enzo Flojo

As we approach the end of Season 82 University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men’s basketball tournament, the curtains should have already been raised for the juniors basketball tournament.

Although the high school hoops war doesn’t receive as much mileage as its counterpart in the seniors division, make no mistake — the talent at this level is highly tantalizing.

... University of the Philippines Integrated School (UPIS)

UPIS head coach Paolo Mendoza declared that his team’s goal for Season 82 is to consistently play great basketball.

That may seem modest, yes, but remember that UPIS was, for the lack of a better term, the doormat last season, winning just one of its 14 assignments.

There’s a lot of potential in coach Mendoza’s young core, though. Their leader this season will likely be team captain Collin Dimaculangan along with the explosive Ray Allen Torres, but we also have to keep tabs on up-and-comers like Jordy Gomez de Liaño, Paolo Galotera and Jonas Napalang.

One kid who can steal the show, however, is 16-year-old high-flyer Aldous Torculas, another potential Batang Gilas gem.

• Outlander38Outlander38 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
  • carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    FITL97 said:

This. People keep saying na palitan na siya - as if may resources tayo to do so. We live off of Palabra de Honor pagdating sa kung-anu-anong appointment sa UP kaya I don't think it will be easy to let go of Coach Bo. Andami rin talagang pagbabago ang ginawa ni Coach Bo sa Basketball system natin pero very obvious na rin talaga na medyo kulang tayo sa gameplay kahit anlalakas ng talent natin.

Kung mahal niya ang UP at gusto niyang magflourish pa ang Basketball natin, he has to let go and step back.
  • half_nakedhalf_naked Registered User PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited November 15
    We will find out Bo's fate pretty soon. Before the year ends dapat naka decide na sya di ba? I think he should and will let go and take a step back. New breed of players, new perspective, new ways of doing things. If it's broken then it should be fixed. And in all honesty, the team is broken, the system is broken. When you have a team as talented as UP not reaching the finals, then for sure something is wrong. Parang tong its lang yan, binigyan na ako ng napakagandang kombinasyon ng baraha pero di ko pa din naipanalo dahil mali ang diskarte ko, i didnt play my cards right.

• updidupdid PEx Rookie ⭐
    BTW sino ba strength and conditioning coach ng UP? Nagtataka lang kasi ako bakit madami injured na player sa atin before magsimula yung season. Also, IMO Bright could stand to lose a little bit of weight. Parang every season lagi siya injured. When we first signed him I was imagining a speedy center much like Chabi Yo. 

Dami UP alum na untapped like Chappy Callanta (kaso naunahan tayo ng DLSU). 
    Bright is going to play next year!
    carlhiro said:
    FITL97 said:

This. People keep saying na palitan na siya - as if may resources tayo to do so. We live off of Palabra de Honor pagdating sa kung-anu-anong appointment sa UP kaya I don't think it will be easy to let go of Coach Bo. Andami rin talagang pagbabago ang ginawa ni Coach Bo sa Basketball system natin pero very obvious na rin talaga na medyo kulang tayo sa gameplay kahit anlalakas ng talent natin.

Kung mahal niya ang UP at gusto niyang magflourish pa ang Basketball natin, he has to let go and step back.
    Pretty true. Si Okumu nga ata walang bayad eh foreign coach na yan. Char
    With Bright saying he's staying, tingin ko Kobe and Ricci, will, too. Sobrang close ni Bright at Kobe. Check their tweets. Haha. If these three will play, I hope the management pursues the GDL more. 
  • half_nakedhalf_naked Registered User PEx Rookie ⭐
    With Bright saying he's staying, tingin ko Kobe and Ricci, will, too. Sobrang close ni Bright at Kobe. Check their tweets. Haha. If these three will play, I hope the management pursues the GDL more. 
    If these 5 will all play, baka maging ganun pa din rapport sa court? Unless of course may new coach. If same players, same coach, then i wont expect a better result.
    If these 5 will all play, baka maging ganun pa din rapport sa court? Unless of course may new coach. If same players, same coach, then i wont expect a better result.
    I still think may *chance* na mag improve even with Bo staying as there are a lot more factors in play, which, just to name a few are -

- Manzo leaving
    - More time together
    - Possible new players coming in
    - Possible improvements in the current players.

Manzo leaving changes the dynamics of the team as he, correct me if I am wrong, started in all of our games this season.

Having more time together is also crucial. While chemistry and other intangibles gets overblown at times, knowing the tendencies, stengths, and shortcomings of your teammates help on the court.

And finally, new players and/or improvement of the current ones can also change the dynamics of the team. Imagine more or improved shooters to open up the post for Bright and the lanes for a driving Juan/Ricci/Kobe. Improved shooting from Ricci and Kobe can also help in that troika playing well together. Improved defense from Javi will make him complement Bright even more.

There are ways for those 5 to play better together even without a coaching change. This is not to say that we need or dont need such a change, only that if in the situation that Bo stays, there is still a chance for improvement.
  • hacksawhacksaw Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    edited November 15
    Granting that UP is going to replace Bo (to which I agree), it's going to be who, how much and can our financial backers afford it. Forget taxpayer money to fund a basketball program. The pay grade of a varsity coach in UP is equivalent to Instructor 1. The great basketball programs are assured of steady and consistent funding, a yearly budget if you will, come hell or high water from Alumni and backers. Establish first how much you can raise to fund a 3-year program before you translate intentions into capabilities. 

Problema natin sa iba rito they make opinions that sound as if they've heavily invested financially in the UPMBT. You lose the financial backing and were back to the dark ages.

hacksaw said:
    Granting that UP is going to replace Bo (to which I agree), it's going to be who, how much and can our financial backers afford it. Forget taxpayer money to fund a basketball program. The pay grade of a varsity coach in UP is equivalent to Instructor 1. The great basketball programs are assured of steady and consistent funding, a yearly budget if you will, come hell or high water from Alumni and backers. Establish first how much you can raise to fund a 3-year program before you translate intentions into capabilities. 

Problema natin sa iba rito they make opinions that sound as if they've heavily invested financially in the UPMBT. You lose the financial backing and were back to the dark ages.

I dont know of bright UP entrepreneurial minds cared to pitch in. But the value of the team and the brand, UP Maroons is worth a lot. 

Did UP ever register it as trademark? Does the team get royalties out of the all merchandise sold? So much have been sold like caps, jackets, and shirts. 

I seriously doubt it. Some smart guy sells caps using the logos of all the UAAP teams with the exception of Atemeo. That tells me only the Blue Eagle brand is protected by the trademark laws of the land. Either that, or Ateneo valued their branding higher than what the cap maker was willing to pay for. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file