Brightburn: Son of Evil (2019)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

FIRST TRAILER OF “BRIGHTBURN” HERALDS NEW GENRE `SUPERHERO HORROR’

Imagine what he could become.  Watch the full trailer now of Columbia Pictures’ new supernatural thriller Brightburn from producer James Gunn, the visionary director of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Check out the trailer below and watch Brightburn in Philippine cinemas in 2019.

Synopsis: What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?  With Brightburn, the visionary filmmaker of Guardians of the Galaxy and Slither presents a startling, subversive take on a radical new genre: superhero horror. 

Brightburn is directed by David Yarovesky (The Hive) and written by Mark Gunn & Brian Gunn. Elizabeth Banks (The Hunger Games, Pitch Perfect) stars alongside David Denman (13 HoursPower Rangers), Jackson A. Dunn (Shameless), Matt Jones (Mom, Home) and Meredith Hagner (Younger, Set it Up).  

James Gunn produces, with executive producers Mark Gunn, Brian Gunn, Dan Clifton, Simon Hatt, and Nic Crawley.  

Brightburn is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.

Comments

• QT IIQT II Bee-doh bee-doh bee-doh bee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    It's Superman gone really twisted
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Opens May 22
  • magnabashmagnabash Swaying person. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I first watched the trailer via the video feature of Facebook thru IMDB(?).

According to Wikipedia:

Brightburn follows a couple who adopts a child that crash-landed on Earth from another world, who is raised to use his powers as a hero for the betterment of mankind. However, as an evil grows inside of him, the child uses his powers for something even more sinister.

The film stars and reunites Power Rangers actors/cast members Elizabeth Banks and David Denman. The movie takes horror on the genre on the superhero genre like The New Mutants.

Here is the official website.

And here is the trailer:

edited January 22
    Threads merged
  • magnabashmagnabash Swaying person. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

NEW “BRIGHTBURN” TRAILER FURTHER REVEALS SINISTER TALE

The world will never be the same. Watch the new trailer for Columbia Pictures’ Brightburn, produced by James Gunn, the visionary director of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Check out the trailer below and watch Brightburn in Philippine cinemas in 2019.

• Aya_AlexaAya_Alexa Vision of Perfection PEx Guru ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Injustice Superman. :lol:

NEW POSTER UP FOR BRIGHTBURN

The first poster for Columbia Pictures’ superhero horror Brightburn has just been unveiled.

Check out the poster below and watch Brightburn in Philippine cinemas on May 29

About Brightburn

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?  With Brightburn, the visionary filmmaker of Guardians of the Galaxy and Slither presents a startling, subversive take on a radical new genre: superhero horror.

Brightburn is directed by David Yarovesky (The Hive) and written by Mark Gunn & Brian Gunn. Elizabeth Banks (The Hunger Games, Pitch Perfect) stars alongside David Denman (13 Hours, Power Rangers), Jackson A. Dunn (Shameless), Matt Jones (Mom, Home) and Meredith Hagner (Younger, Set it Up).

James Gunn produces, with executive producers Mark Gunn, Brian Gunn, Dan Clifton, Simon Hatt, and Nic Crawley.

Brightburn is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  Use the hashtag #Brightburn  

WATCH A SUSPENSEFUL CLIP FROM “BRIGHTBURN: SON OF EVIL”

Columbia Pictures has just released a clip from its highly anticipated Brightburn: Son of Evil, producer James Gunn's new superhero horror movie.

Check out the clip entitled “Wrecked” below and watch Brightburn: Son of Evil in Philippine cinemas on May 29.

Brightburn: Son of Evil is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  Use the hashtag #Brightburn  

“BRIGHTBURN: SON OF EVIL” DEPICTS SUPERPOWERS WITH HORROR CONTEXT

At a time when comic book superheroes dominate the pop culture landscape, the filmmaking team of Columbia Pictures’ Brightburn: Son of Evil saw a unique opportunity to use the long-held tropes of the genre and turn them on their head to create a terrifying horror film that would feel entirely new.

The idea originated with the screenwriting team of cousins Brian Gunn and Mark Gunn. Brian, younger brother to Guardians of the Galaxy filmmaker James Gunn, had worked with Mark on a range of movie and TV projects throughout his professional career stretching back nearly 20 years. Together, they hit on the notion to tell an extreme story in which a couple’s worst fears about their child come true.

“There’s a tradition that goes back to Moses up through contemporary superhero stories about childless parents who take in an infant that they find in the wild,” Brian Gunn says. “Those figures grow up to be noble and heroic, but we wondered what would happen if it went the other way and this child ends up being something sinister.”

Initially, the script was a slightly more modest take on the premise, written to be made on a micro-budget. Director David Yarovesky (The Hive) and executive producer Simon Hatt thought it had far grander potential. They pictured an unrelenting, straight-ahead horror film rooted deeply in the comic book iconography that has come to feel so familiar to moviegoers, one that would yield non-stop surprises and scares.

“They encouraged us to play up the superhero element even more than we had in our original script,” Mark Gunn says. “To put superpowers in a horror context seemed really fun to us—it was an opportunity to mix together two different genres that hadn’t really been mixed together before.” Adds Brian Gunn: “We realized that there are many superhero abilities that if you were on the receiving end of them would be terrifying. Flying could appear very ghostly. Laser eyes can be demonic. Super strength can be horrifying. Lots of super abilities, if you turn them just a couple of degrees, become grist for horror.”

“I, like many people, grew up watching superhero movies and fantasizing about what it would be like to have super powers,” director Yarovesky concludes. “When I imagined it, it was always so much darker than what I see in movies. I wanted to make something that was closer to my heart. I wanted to go all in on scary.”

In Philippine cinemas May 29, Brightburn: Son of Evil is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  Use the hashtag #Brightburn  

DISTURBED CHILD IN “BRIGHTBURN: SON OF EVIL” 

SUPERHERO OR VILLAIN?

In Columbia Pictures’ superhero horror film Brightburn: Son of Evil, a child from another world crash-lands on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister.

Growing up on the Kansas farm, Brandon is a bright boy who doesn’t necessarily makes friends easily, but like many only children, he enjoys time with adults—not only his parents, but also his aunt and uncle.

When he reaches his 12th birthday, however, Brandon begins to change. He becomes moody, rude, disrespectful, an attitude that doesn’t sit well with his more traditional father. At first, his parents chalk the trouble up to puberty. But his mother increasingly fears there’s something else, something menacing, taking hold of her darling boy. She fights her maternal instincts, refusing to believe the signs that are right in front of her—until it’s much too late.

Pivotal to the success of the film was finding the right actor to play Brandon. He had to be believable as a teen who begins the story as basically a good kid before harnessing his extraordinary gifts to terrible ends. Surprisingly, the search didn’t take long. Jackson A. Dunn was the first to audition. “He was impossible to top,” says producer Simon Hatt.

Although barely a teenager himself when he landed the role, Dunn projected the necessary range for the disturbed Brandon. “He’s got a great sensibility,” says Elizabeth Banks, who plays his mom. “He’s great for this part. He’s a perfect Brandon. He’s got just enough charm in him that you really fall in love with him, and then he can be cold and evil at the same time.”

The young actor was excited by the challenges at playing an academically gifted teen who realizes he possesses other, more deadly gifts as well. “At the beginning of the movie, he is completely normal,” says Dunn. “He loves his family. He probably feels self-conscious that he’s not able to bond with the other kids his age, but he’s at a mental level where he understands that he prefers to converse with his family and adults. I get to experience the changes that he goes through throughout the movie and how different he is from the start to the end.  It’s weird, because some of it is stuff that I can pull from real-life experience. And then, some of it is killing people.”

As Brandon becomes increasingly confident in his powers, unleashing the full force of his fury on his family members and the residents of his sleepy Kansas hometown, BRIGHTBURN: SON OF EVIL moves toward a punishing conclusion that sees Tori finally confront the terrible truth about her beloved son. “He’s compelled by his nature to do something truly awful,” producer James Gunn says.

Yet Gunn is quick to point out, too, that it’s still possible to feel a connection to Brandon—he is recognizable as the boy-next-door gone wrong, or something even closer to the darkest corners of own selves. “Even Brandon, as bad as he is and as terrible as he is and as alien as he is, there’s something very human about him,” he says. “He isn’t Michael Meyers, he isn’t Freddy Krueger. He is something that we both can relate to and be afraid of at the same time—and maybe be afraid of what parts of Brandon are like us.” 

In Philippine cinemas May 29, Brightburn: Son of Evil is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  Use the hashtag #Brightburn  

ELIZABETH BANKS PROTECTS `EVIL’ SON AT ALL COSTS IN “BRIGHTBURN”

“It’s a huge adrenaline rush watching this movie,” says Elizabeth Banks, star of Columbia Pictures’ new superhero horror film, Brightburn: Son of Evil.  “It really skewers our ideas about heroes.” 

Elizabeth Banks (The Hunger Games trilogy) plays Tori Breyer who is in a happy marriage with a passion for art. The one thing that would complete her life is a child. After years spent trying and failing to conceive, she’s nearly given up hope. And then, something miraculous happens. She and her husband Kyle are blessed with an infant son who seems to be the healthy and happy baby they hoped might complete their family someday.  But will he?

Producer Simon Hatt explains, “Elizabeth is who we wanted in the role of Tori from day one. The second we decided we were going to make this movie, it was Elizabeth who would play the part. She’s a mother herself. You can see that reality in her performance. Those maternal instincts, I feel like they live on the surface with her.”

Banks, who is raising two sons, says she was intrigued by the larger questions the film posed about rearing a difficult child. “When I read the script, I felt like this was a movie about parenting,” she says. “So many parents put their heads in the sand about their children’s issues. But even when you do acknowledge that your child has issues, you still don’t necessarily know how to respond or react in the right way. I think that’s a balance every parent can relate to—how much do I discipline him? How much do I love him? How much do I give support, how much do I offer criticism?”

In Tori’s case, she showers her son with love and affection and tries to give him space to mature. She witnesses some of his unnerving behavior, but rather than take action on the concerns she has, she opts for a wait-and-see approach, believing that her boy ultimately will find the right path.

“She’s really letting Brandon be Brandon, as much as she can,” Banks says. “She knows that he’s in that time of life when he’s going to want to be independent and break away a little bit and figure out who he is. When she sees him being problematic, that’s what she believes is going on. It’s just the beginning of adolescence.” 

For director David Yarovesky, that aspect of Brightburn: Son of Evil felt quite personal. “I was a kid that people thought was different and strange because I loved horror movies and I wanted to be a filmmaker,” he says. “All the parents thought I was weird. But my mom believed in me and thought I was a good person and that I was just creative and different. In many ways, the themes of the relationship between Brandon and his mother echo that.”

JAMES GUNN SELECTS TWO PINOY ARTISTS AS WINNERS OF
    THE “BRIGHTBURN” FAN ART COMPETITION

MANILA, May 24, 2019 -- From over six hundred submissions worldwide, Brightburn producer James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy, upcoming The Suicide Squad) has selected five winners in the “Brightburn / Talenthouse Fan Art Competition” with no less than two Filipino artists in the champions circle.

They are millennial artists Jaye Atienza from Mabalacat, Pampanga and Dennis Radaza of Rodriguez, Rizal.  They are joined by co-winners Adam Stephens (United States), Kumail Shareef (Pakistan) and Liza Shumskaya (Ukraine).

Besides receiving $2,000 each, the artists’ winning artwork will potentially be featured across the film's marketing campaign, including social accounts, print materials and merchandise.

Get to know the prize-winning Pinoy artists as they discuss the competition below.

Question: What motivated you to join the Brightburn/Talenthouse contest?  Is this your first time to join? If not, how was your past experience(s).

Jaye Atienza: I am a big fan of art and movies. I've been joining art contest in Talenthouse since 2017. This is not my first time to join and win.  Last year, I was blessed enough to win 4 creative campaign invites by Talenthouse (Rampage, The Nun, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, and Aquaman).

Dennis Radaza:  Talenthouse is a great community and a big opportunity for artists around the world. It's my 11th time to join the contest and this is my second time to be selected. It's a blessing and a great experience for me and I thank God for it.

Q: What can you say about the caliber of the Brightburn entries? Did you expect to win after seeing the submissions?

Atienza: A lot of entries are complex and deeply thoughtful. I did not expect to be selected.

Radaza: There is a lot of awesome entries but this didn't stop me to create what's on my mind and focus on my artwork. I didn't expect to win. I just want to create and share my artwork, winning is God's work.  

Q: What was your reaction when you learned that it was producer James Gunn himself who chose your artwork?

Atienza: I'm on cloud nine! I was at work when I received the email from Talenthouse, and a week after James Gunn announced it on his instagram account.

Radaza: When I saw James Gunn’s name, I was shocked because he's the director of Guardians of the Galaxy!!!

Q: How did you conceptualize your entry? What is the story behind it?

Atienza: I watched the trailer a lot of times. I wanted my entry to be different, something that is not totally shown on the trailer. That's where I decided to use an image of the swing. The rest is history.

Radaza: I wanted to make it as a minimalist flat-looking mask of Brandon and I used the logo/symbol as a shoelace on his mask.

Q: What are you going to do with the prize money?

Atienza: I'll save the money for the future needs of my wife and three-year old daughter, Maria Hermione.

Radaza: Help my family and support my studies. My girlfriend and I are thinking about some business too.

“BRIGHTBURN: SON OF EVIL” UNVEILS SPECIAL `MOTION COMIC’

Columbia Pictures has just unveiled a special video called `Brightburn Motion Comic’ to celebrate the highly anticipated Brightburn: Son of Evil, from producer James Gunn.

Check out the motion comic below, and watch Brightburn: Son of Evil in Philippine cinemas May 29.

• AquamanAquaman Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    What happened to Mom (Elizabeth Banks) was 😢 

The broken glass to the eye was cringy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file