Ever traveled Solo? How was it?

12346»

Comments

• nikkilovenikkilove Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I have , in NY and DC, but ive been to these cities with friends or family. so the naive factor was gone.

i know where id go, or what to ride to a certain area.

i just wanted to close / complete my bucket list from those areas...with companions kasi, give and take, i hate it when they want to waste time in outlet stores or malls...its just silly imo...i mean you can do shopping in your own city/country. unless its items you cant find no where else, or the discount is significant.

but ganun talaga, kanya kanyang preference...if wed be only in a country or another city for a few days, lets do the touristy stuff.
  • keniegirl4keniegirl4 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    @nikkilove I will be travelling solo for 1.5 days in NY city, any tips/recommendations on where to stay for 1 night only?  I'm female, 50 yo, my first time in NY but 2nd time in the US.  I want to see times square, madison square garden, central park, etc. tia.
    hi keniegirl14....

it depends how youd arrive in NY....

if flying and only for 1.5 days, just stay in a hotel nearest your airport, most NY hotels have shuttle services just communicate through their website to make sure. this will make your way to manhattan light and easy.

its just the most convenient (not bringing your luggage to Manhattan), the most practical and safest (you dont need to worry on your day of departure), way to lodge in NY.

the NY transport system going to and in Manhattan itaelf is complicated but doable/manageable naman, but you need to do your homework on the bus and subway system.

can you spare a whole day in NY? like your arrival date is before and your departure is after one day?

if darating ka ng umaga sa NY, then alis mo din. bukas na,.. you can only visit as much, like Times Square, Broadway and Empire State....dont stress yourself, dont even attempt to go around NY in the morming of your 2nd day if your flight is 1 PM mamya na...you would miss your flight.

in this case, its either just Times Square and Statue of Liberty only or Times Square and surrounding attractions only like Broadway, Empire Stare, Central Park....
    Nd the shuttle services im mentioning are just from the airport to the hotel, they wont take you to the bus or train stations connecting to manhattan.

but from the airport like Newark and JFK, theyre connected to the train stations going to Manhattan. if you fly into Laguardia, you can take a cab, but just be ready for the fare, coz laguardia is still a little far from the attractions though the closest among the three airports...
    thanks @nikkilove ;
    I will be arriving 430-5pm sunday at jfk, my flight for atlanta will be 1pm tues, jfk also. which is the easiest way to go to manhattan? by bus or by train? for the whole day monday, which sites can i visit? thanks again
    good, you need an entire day at least to get to Manhattan from the Newark and JFK airports and tour some attractions, without fearing of missing your flight.

there are several means to go to Manhattan from JFK, and theres no perfect way. either you pay more, spend more time traveling or take several stops and connections...

to me the best is taking the Airlink in JFK which has a station connected to the LIRR...it is an upgrade train system, better than the subway.

you pay double the price of the subway, but the convenience it brings is worth it.

from your hotel, (choose a hotel with a shuttle service to JFK), return to JFK's arilink (this is the monorail servicing the JFK terminals), and drop off on the station closest to the LIRR,

the LIRR will lead you straight to the Penn Station, the terminal in Manhattan. this is below the Madison Square garden.. as in below it like a basement.

from the Madison Square Garden, you can just walk to Times Square, and get a feel of NY city life, its not far, only half a mile...

unforunately New York attractions are far from each other, a day is not enough to cover many.

im not sure what are your priorities, are you interested going to the Statue of Liberty,

Times Square/Broadway and the Statue are doable in a day, but thats all, youd pass by Wall Street though on your way to Battery Park (the port going to Liberty Island).

if youre not planning to go Liberty Island, and you only want to concentrate around Times Square, then a day is more than enough. you can walk also to Rockefeller Center and St. Patricks Cathedral.

if you want to maximize your trip, use the hop and off bus, youre going to pay much, but it will bring you to the most iconic attractions and landmarks...

just be sure to check the last trip of the LIRR though going back to JFK...
    sorry its not airlink, but Airtrain, the monorail of JFK....
    nikkilove said:
    good, you need an entire day at least to get to Manhattan from the Newark and JFK airports and tour some attractions, without fearing of missing your flight.

there are several means to go to Manhattan from JFK, and theres no perfect way. either you pay more, spend more time traveling or take several stops and connections...

to me the best is taking the Airlink in JFK which has a station connected to the LIRR...it is an upgrade train system, better than the subway.

you pay double the price of the subway, but the convenience it brings is worth it.

from your hotel, (choose a hotel with a shuttle service to JFK), return to JFK's arilink (this is the monorail servicing the JFK terminals), and drop off on the station closest to the LIRR,

the LIRR will lead you straight to the Penn Station, the terminal in Manhattan. this is below the Madison Square garden.. as in below it like a basement.

from the Madison Square Garden, you can just walk to Times Square, and get a feel of NY city life, its not far, only half a mile...

unforunately New York attractions are far from each other, a day is not enough to cover many.

im not sure what are your priorities, are you interested going to the Statue of Liberty,

Times Square/Broadway and the Statue are doable in a day, but thats all, youd pass by Wall Street though on your way to Battery Park (the port going to Liberty Island).

if youre not planning to go Liberty Island, and you only want to concentrate around Times Square, then a day is more than enough. you can walk also to Rockefeller Center and St. Patricks Cathedral.

if you want to maximize your trip, use the hop and off bus, youre going to pay much, but it will bring you to the most iconic attractions and landmarks...

just be sure to check the last trip of the LIRR though going back to JFK...
    Thanks so much @nikkilove
  • letran_jletran_j Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    nikkilove said:
    letran_j said:
    I've traveled to US - NYC, DC, Dallas, San Jose, San Diego, San Francisco and LA by myself... okay naman, kaso nga lang malungkot lang pag kumakain ng walang kasama and walang kahati sa gastos :lol:  

In other Asian countries din, madalas solo-traveler ako. What I like most is that nobody can tell me where to go and pressure me on time. When I travel, I march to the beat of my own drum. :)
    wow, talo mo pako letran_j, i live jere sa US, but i cant afford to go to Cali alone... :lol: 
    Actually sa NYC ako namulubi :lol: super mahal ng hotel ($450 per night), compared sa DC and LA na double sa size yung room pero yung price halos 1/3 or 1/2 lang. It was for my birthday so I treated myself a little. :) 
  • istarbaksistarbaks Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ baka friday or saturday night yung stay mo kaya ganun kamahal. pero generally, every time na pumunta ako sa nyc eh mas lalong tumataas yung mga room rates. eh kuripot pa naman ako :lol: kaya naman papalayo nang papalayo yung mga rooms na nabu-book ko, hanggang umabot na sa brooklyn yung latest na nakuha ko.
  • NalaGidaNalaGida PEx Rookie ⭐
    It was scary at first but eventually, it was fulfilling. that experience actually helped me to be more independent and further develop my confidence as an individual :) 
  • planktontopsplanktontops Traveling the World PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I travel a lot pero most of the time solo traveler ako. I usually meet people along the way sa hostel and/or sa mga walking tours na sinasalihan ko. Super happy ako pag nagtatravel ako magisa na nasanay na ako. Minsan naiinis na ako kapag may kasama ako na hindi kami same ng pace ng travel. I highly suggest solo travels. You'll really learn a lot from it. Sobrang fulfilling sya for me. Eto yung list ng mga countires and cities na napuntahan ko mag isa.

South Korea - Seoul, Busan
    United States - Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Dallas) lived in Houston, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Louisiana, New York, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Michigan, Virginia, DC, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey
    Mexico - Mexico City, Cancun, Chichen Itza
    Colombia - Bogota
    Brazil - Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo
    France
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Germany
    Liechtenstein
    Vatican
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Singapore (Lived here)
    Hong Kong
    China - Shenzhen
    Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru
    Taiwan
  • SamB8SamB8 PExer
    edited May 6
    As for me, I did Madrid solo last year. I had no problems at all. I really don't have any special solo hints, but I felt safe in Madrid and the people were very friendly. On one of these travel forums https://travelsites.com/travel-forums/ I found a local guy in Madrid and we had a great day together. He suggested places for me to visit. He was an older businessman and appeared to have no "other motives" than just being friendly. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file