COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Bicol's Local Cuisine

2»

Comments

• Max_BuwayaMax_Buwaya Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    kelunji wrote: »
    Pinangat is over-rated. Mas masarap ang tinuktok ng Camarines Sur.

agree. tinuktok over pinangat, either in rich coconut milk or as bola bola in sinigang soup.
  • LJ_McKanasLJ_McKanas Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    From Something Staple to Something Customized: Cookies & Mint Blend with Pili Nut Toppings

14517609_10202073696720206_8967028946715859362_n_zpsxxurgtn4.jpg

This afternoon, a lazy one on a Saturday, I went to this local caf? known as La Mia Tazza Caf? where I ordered a drink customized to fit my palate. I have done this more than five times already as I was pleased with my discovery.

At La Mia Tazza, you will taste the only drinks (some caffeinated, some not) in the world that contain pili. Pili is a nut that is endemic only to Bicol whose volcanic soil is a fertile ground for
    trees bearing these fruits.

How does pili taste? It's nothing like peanuts or almond or hazelnut. Whatever its flavor is, I can't describe... but it's often satisfying when used as a topping for coffee or other concoctions with whipped cream, something that this coffee shop thankfully discovered...

The creaminess of whipped cream blends well with pili's often fresh texture and crispy nature... I would even say that this is much better than Starbucks. Way, way better. Why? I often long for it as I just did a few hours ago. A gulp of this drink made my Saturday satisfyingly delectable...

La Mia Tazza Caf? is located at Rizal St., Old Albay District, Legazpi City. It's walking distance from the capitol. Once in Legazpi or in Bicol, it's advisable to try some of the unique drinks from this caf?. Ranked sixth among 73 places to eat in Legazpi according to tripadvisor, it's highly-recommended.

A review from tripadvisor I quote:
    Let's face it. Getting great coffee in Asia is difficult. Trust me I've been pretty much everywhere and tried. This will be about as good as you'll find in the philipinnes. Don't be expecting fancy latte art and gorgeous deep brown flat whites and you'll come away pleasantly surprised. The pilli cappuccino was very good indeed. Give it a try. Nice jazz music plays in the background and good WiFi makes it a nice spot to chill for 30 minutes

Visited February 2016
  • kelunjikelunji Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    LJ_McKanas wrote: »
    I haven't heard of Tinuktok, tbh. Is it the same as inulukan?

Tinuktok is cooked the same as pinangat but instead of a bunch of gabi keaves with 1or 2 pieces of meat or seafod inside, ground seafood (fish or crabs or shrimps) mixed with grated coconut is wrapped in 1-2 layers of gabi leaves (think suman but instead of banana wrappers, its gabi and instead of rice, its seafood.
    ^^So it's something else. Inulukan is almost the same as pinangat; only that, it's filled with very tiny (oh so tiny!) crablets. It's also awesome but the last time I've eaten it was about 8 years ago. I sort of miss the taste, particularly the crunchiness. It's like pinangat with a different twist. :)
  • ka_denizka_deniz bagong buhay PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    this thread is a waste.

another poser posting, trying to sound... intelligent? authentic?

can't cook. don't know the difference between laing, pinangat and tinuktok. [email protected]@! recipe available online?!?!?! sh1t! even bhb cant come up with something stoopider than that.

Fu2king plagiarist!!! puro copy paste. a least credit your sources.
  • BombaBomba Member PExer
    Sa bicol ano brand masarap pili nut and available sa metro manila or kung pwede magpaship?
    ka_deniz wrote: »
    this thread is a waste.

another poser posting, trying to sound... intelligent? authentic?

can't cook. don't know the difference between laing, pinangat and tinuktok. [email protected]@! recipe available online?!?!?! sh1t! even bhb cant come up with something stoopider than that.

Fu2king plagiarist!!! puro copy paste. a least credit your sources.

I have no sources. ;)
    Bomba wrote: »
    Sa bicol ano brand masarap pili nut and available sa metro manila or kung pwede magpaship?

Chocogems. It's chocolate filled with pili nuts. :)
  • limahllimahl Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i miss bicol food with gata and chili..yummm
    Bicolano cuisine to be featured on CNN Philippines' Harvest, a show hosted by Chef Margarita Fores, on Saturday, February 18, 2017, at 7:00 pm.

Here's an article about the show:

Gaita Fores explores Pinoy cooking in new TV show
    Business World Online

MORE THAN a year after she won the title of Asia’s Best Female Chef at Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants awards in 2016, Margarita Fores of Cibo fame has once again embarked on a culinary journey, this time taking her around the Philippines.

A four-part series, Harvest with Margarita Fores, has the chef going to various Philippine destinations such as Bicol, General Santos City, and Davao City, discovering the unique ingredients the locales are known for.

In a snippet shown to the media on Feb. 6 during the launch held at Ms. Fores’s Lusso restaurant in Greenbelt 5, Makati, she was shown marvelling at the way coconut milk is harvested and how to make laing (a spicy dish of dried taro leaves and coconut milk), a dish she is unfamiliar cooking.

“It’s her unique Filipino character, her experience and passion and her commitment to the craft that makes the show unique,” Armie Jarin-Bennett, CNN Philippines president, told BusinessWorld shortly after the program.

While the cooking-while-travelling genre is staple lifestyle channel fare, Ms. Jarin-Bennett said that Ms. Fores’s personality and her desire to promote local ingredients and local cuisine is what sets this show apart from others.

“There are very few unique ideas, but she is, in herself, a unique personality who is an expert in culinary... but I like her commitment to others: farmers, fishermen. Her agenda is to help them,” Ms. Jarin-Bennett noted.

“I love the whole concept of Harvest -- it allows me to travel the Philippines and discover many more dishes, ingredients, and concepts that have to do with food that will enrich my work. At the same time I look forward to meet all the people who grow and create wonderful things... I love the fact that I’m no longer a tourist in my own country,” Ms. Fores was quoted as saying in a press release.

Ms. Jarin-Bennett said that they would have done more episodes of the show if not for Ms. Fores’s busy schedule, which includes arranging the annual Madrid Fusion Manila which will be held from April 6 to 8.

Harvest with Margarita Fores airs over four Saturdays at 7 p.m., starting on Feb. 18, on CNN Philippines (Ch. 9, free TV) or via livestream on cnnphilippines.com/videos. -- Zsarlene B. Chua
    Last Night's Dinner: Bicol Express - Iba Version!

I wasn't expecting that the last moments of yesterday would be this awesome. After working at the office for 8 hours and lifting at the gym for 2 hours, I came home for a sumptuous dinner...

I had galunggong and my most favorite dish ever, Bicol Express - Iba Version!

Its ingredients are the usual but what makes it extra special are the iba bits poured into it. As I was so excited, I took spoons full of the dish and poured it onto my plate and devoured it. Bicol Express is always awesome when eaten with any kind of fish so even if the galunggong was, as usual, dry and tasteless, it was more pleasant than the ordinary.

It was a bit late when I realized I had to take a picture of the Bicol Express on our dining table but, still, I had to take shots to immortalize that pleasant moment. It was already half-empty when I took the shot:

20170215-0012_zpsirsm20n7.jpeg

After a few moments, I devoured it all --- no, I gulped it!

20170215-0013_zpsqxnhga73.jpeg

:lol: The taste? It was a curious mix of sour and spicy! :love: Yummmmm.....
  • ach_chooach_choo Repent you savages! Repent! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Shark Kinunot. Basically kilawen but with coconut milk. And the meat has to be pre-boiled, not raw, to take out the ammonia, and to flake off the bones.

kinunot2.jpg
    ^^They're different. Kilawen is half-cooked, right? Kinunot is not. Another difference would be the use of moringga leaves for kinunot. :)
    Two days ago, we just had a very rare but awesome dish on our plates. It's what my mum calls "ginataang lubi-lubi con medyo hinog na langka."
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    wala kuwentang thread puro pictures lang. meron ng Food n Beverage thread for posting pictures,

I'm sorry if you don't find this thread useful enough... but I will post more pictures about the local foods I eat. Some recipes too if necessary. The thing about pinangat is that it has become popular that its recipe is already available online so I didn't feel the need to post the recipe anymore... but whenever I encounter a food or drinks that is unusual and whose recipe is not yet available online, I will post the recipe. I do hope you find my tips useful enough; they are not to be disregarded. :)
    isang taon na po at hanggang ngayon waleh pa rin.

correct me if im wrong but your thread just got booted out of the BP forum?
    ^^I will correct you; it wasn't.
  • SamanthaBSamanthaB PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hey TS! Can you provide recipes for Fish cocido, for a sweet merienda they call nilupak, as well as for tinutungang manok?
  • I haven't tasted tinuktok. Pinangat and inolokan lang alam ko. Want to try it tuloy! 
  • SamanthaBSamanthaB PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    So I have searched the Internet for some help with cooking Bicolano recipes and here's what I found https://www.yummy.ph/lessons/cooking/coconut-recipes-bicol-a00261-20180903?ref=feed_1
    https://www.yummy.ph/tag/bicolano-recipe

Have already tried tinutungan na manok, pansit bato, nilupak na pili, kinunot na isda, and laing.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    yun thread starter dapat magpost ng recipes pagkatapos ibandera ang Bicolano Cuisine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file