Official PEx Movie Reviews

Comments

• KaittenKaitten unreliable & irresponsible PExer
    0d2442af3640d2c4440a13b460f9aeba.jpg

Breaking Wind is the comedic spoof of the world wide phenomenon Twilight series. When Bella's life becomes threatened by the vengeful Victoria and her gang of blood sucking newborns. Edward and Jacob must put aside their differences in order to save her life AGAIN.

Breaking Wind is such a perfect parody of this vampire romance flick that captured a lot of hearts. This movie is surely a laugh every minute film with non stop gags and jokes all throughout. The characters are pretty funny, Jacob which they made fat, he always fart and always had a food in his hand in every scene. Together with his wolf buddies that have man boobs instead of six pack abs. The Cullen family also gave me tons of laugh specially Dr.Carlisle Cullen which could not control to drink the blood of Bella in one scene. There are also some cameo characters like Jack Sparrow, Edward Scissorhands, Harry Potter and a midget counterpart of Edward and Jasper. And yes expect a lot of kissing between the leads including a torrid one with...........Edward and Jacob.

images.jpg

Rating: 6.5 out of 10 stars

Cast: Heather Ann Davis, Eric Callero, Frank Pacheco, John Stevenson and Danny Trejo.

Directed By: Craig Moss
    Distributed By: Pioneer Films / Movie Punch

Opens Today at your Favorite Cinemas

5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg

Discuss the movie at Breaking Wind Thread
    the-woman-in-black-poster-7.jpg

The Woman in Black stars Daniel Radcliffe in this spine chilling horror that will surely creeps you in such an amusing way.

The story revolves around Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe) a young lawyer who is still grieving from the death of his wife who died while giving birth to their son. He is ordered to travel to a remote village and sort out the papers of a recently deceased client. As he works alone inside the client's house, He discovers some tragic secrets and sightings of the mysterious woman dressed in black. Soon Arthur founds out about the horrible deaths of children caused by the malicious spirit. Now he is forced to help the village and find what the spirit really wants

401-Woman-in-Black-Photo-Ni-jpg_180652.jpg

They really made a good job with the setting, a classic horror type of film with a brilliant atmosphere that would really give you the creeps. The haunted house was really scary, it solidify the tremendous location of a spooky house inside and out. The score was effective as it gave a chilling experience and the addition of a well dressed ghost that would really hunt you in your dreams. Also add the weird looking dolls all over the place that gave much anxiety.

Though the story was slow paced it keeps up in the middle part which they combined it with terrifying scenes. The rocking chair gimmick never fails when it's in a movie, It's still provide a lot of creeps whenever I see it moving all by it self. The script is easy to follow, it's straightforward and understandable.

wibnew1b.jpg

While Daniel Radcliffe takes charge in his solo role without holding a wand, I can still see Harry Potter and I believe that it's hard for people to recognize him in different roles. However for us he made a job well done and just need a little more maturity.

Overall It's a good classic horror movie.

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars

Casts: Daniel Radcliffe, Sophie Stucky, Roger Allam and Lucy May Barker

Directed By: James Watkins
    Distributed By: Pioneer Films
    Now on it's 2nd Week

5756494783_13ef5406da.jpg

Discuss the Movie at the Woman in Black thread
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    220px-Ghost_Rider_2_Poster.jpg

The first Ghost Rider was not exactly well-loved and Ghost Rider: Spirit Vengeance didn't do that much to elevate itself from the original but it showcases good action sequences and once again features an acting performance that you simply can't take your eyes off even if you want to.

Johnny Blaze (Nicholas Cage) isolates himself in an attempt to keep the demon inside him from hurting people even more but a monk Moreau (Idris Elba) tracks him down to ask his help to save a young boy from the Devil... and the possibility of getting rid of the curse forever.

Ghost Rider: Spirit Vengeance
    is directed by the team of Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor famously known for the Crank movies. Having them on board benefited the movie as this team definitely knows how to shoot stylized action scenes effectively. The visual effects and stunt work are well-coordinated and seamlessly integrated.

However, the story is a hot mess. Yes, it goes to a darker route compared to the first one but it's still too all over the place. The movie still has its morbid sense of humor but there are moments when they try to hard to inject humor like in a quick montage showing pictures of the historic figures associated with evil where the punchline was flat.

The acting is solid as most of the supporting cast are good enough to prevent things from going overboard. But they all pretty much have to bow down to Nicholas Cage as the actor is so engaging to watch frame by frame. He still looks awkward in this role but the sheer audacity he gives in this performance is something that you really want to look away but you simply can't. The actor's screen presence pretty much holds the film together.

Ghost Rider: Spirit Vengeance deserves some props for improved action sequences and visual style but the attempt to have a darker tone didn't work that well. In the end though, it will still depend on how you perceive Cage's performance on whether you will enjoy this movie or not.

Genre: Action / Adventure
    Rating: 6.5 / 10
    Cast:

Nicolas Cage
    Fergus Riordan
    Ciar?n Hinds
    Violante Placido
    Idris Elba
    Christopher Lambert
    Johnny Whitworth

Directed by:
    Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor
    Distributor: Warner Brothers Pictures Philippines

Opens today (Feb. 17) in both 2D and 3D formats.

5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg

Discuss the movie at the Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance thread.
  • paddylastpaddylast Cut & Run Disciple ✭✭✭
    11c1b71138b23cea874efe0e1a788488.jpg

The film starts with Matt King, a lawyer played by George Clooney narrating the skiing accident of her wife Elizabeth who went into a coma and is now struggling to raise his two daughters. The doctor does not think that Elizabeth will survive and as for her last will, they are going to pull the plug on her life support and Matt have to inform the family especially his daughters, Scottie and Alexandria on what has to be done. While grieving to the inevitable, Alexandria told Matt about Elizabeth’s cheating that shocked Matt but nevertheless decided to locate the “man” and inform him about his wife so he could visit her before she die.

I honestly find the plot of the film unbelievably slow. It is not the pace of the film but the lengthy scenes and overly written lines that it sometimes sounds corny and unrealistic. The story about the family land and the debt-ridden relatives is just annoying because it was totally pointless and was just forced for Matt (Clooney) to have something to say about trying to make the audience go ‘awwe” but failed big time.

0794b8f9634a484db5f500603f4bbbfb.jpg

It was a good thing that George Clooney played the part of Matt amazingly, because this movie is beyond corny in my opinion. Shailene Woodley and Robert Foster provided positive support as well. They actually saved the film.

Overall, I thought the film lacks conviction and its promise just got wasted from its poor execution. Maybe it is just not my cup of tea or I was just completely drawn-out by its “I’ve seen this already” plot. Take a shot at it though, five Oscar nominations would want you to see this one and prove me otherwise but hey, to each his own. *okay*

Rating: 5/10
    Genre: Comedy/Drama
    Cast: George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Amara Miller, Nick Krause, Rovert Foster
    Opening: February 15, 2012 in Metro Manila

Director
    : Alexander Payne
    Distributor: Fox Searchlights Pictures

57e51d3d028d3b30ccf9b0faa6e2dda0.jpg

Discuss the movie at The Descendants thread.
    fcc339e0999790d751f44cf59e7e82ee.jpg

Hugo has got to be one of those films I have been waiting to see since I first read about it and surely enough, it didn’t disappoint. The film takes on a different era introducing us to Hugo, a young boy who lives in a Parisian train station setting its clocks and trying to fix a robot (automaton) that may carry a final message from his dad who died earlier.

bcd11c529ba10fd251b1e37c572fbe42.jpg

Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite filmmakers and learning that he’ll direct this film got me all curious. What’s he going to do with this one? Remember Raging Bull, Goodfellas or perhaps the The Departed? These are not ‘family’ flicks so with that in mind – the idea of creating this magical world of “Hugo” got me all pumped-up. I’ve not read the book where it’s based from but the approach of the film itself gave me that incredible feeling of reminiscing Scorsese’s masterpieces that it’s just right. Everything feels good about this film.

3fcf306c636b498fa38779081e518888.jpg

There was also a strong cast that includes Ben Kingsley, Asa Butterfield (Hugo) and Chloe Moretz who made each scene extremely moving that would warmed your heart to the core! Plus the 3D made it more fun to watch all the “wizardry” that it’s sometimes hard to catch up with it. Its cinematography is pure perfection that every detail of the film is just breathtaking. I am also in love with the original score provided by the genius Howard Shore that made each poignant moment so thrilling!

Hugo is one of those films that would make you re-enter the cinema to watch its grandeur and will leave you amazed all over again. There’s just the perfect balance of magic and realism that would make you feel good about just anything. This is yet another Scorsese’s work of art and kids from “one to 92” must really get some time to watch this!

Rating: 9.5/10
    Genre: Period film / Children / Drama
    Main Cast:

Ben Kingsley
    Sacha Baron Cohen
    Asa Butterfield
    Chloë Grace Moretz
    Helen McRory
    Ray Winstone
    Emily Mortimer
    Jude Law
    Christopher Lee

Director: Martin Scorsese
    Released By: Solar Entertainmet Corporation

Opens in Cinemas on February 15, 2012 in 2D and 3D.

Discuss the movie at the Hugo thread
    Watch the trailer at PEx Movie Trailers page.
  • Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    hugo_quotes.jpg

Martin Scorsese's Hugo is a cross between The Artist and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (all three are Oscar-nominated for Best Picture this year).

It's Paris in 1930s, and Hugo Cabret (Asa Butterfiled; The Boy in the Sriped Pyjamas), is an orphaned boy living behind the clock-face in Gare Montparnasse railway station. His everyday routine is to wind the station's clocks (in place of his missing uncle, the station's clock-winder), and try to evade the railway inspector (Sacha Baron Cohen; Bruno), lest he wants to be thrown into an orphanage. And from time to time, Hugo also tries to steal mechanical parts from an old toy owner (Ben Kingsley) to fix his Automaton-- a creepy mechanical man left behind by his late father (Jude Law), in the hopes that once the Automaton works, he'll receive some sort of a message from his father so that he wouldn't feel so alone anymore. Like Oskar Schell in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Hugo is seeking closure for the abrupt and unexpected death of his father. However, no matter how unbearably irritating Oskar Schell was, he's got more personality and depth than the dry and blank-faced Hugo, whose strikingly blue eyes are the only interesting thing about him.

Visually striking as it is, the movie (based on Brian Selznick's bestselling novel The Invention of Hugo Cabret) offers no emotionally connection. Paris in 1930s is charming and magical, yes, but the story is hollow. The narrative is messy, going in awkward directions, and swinging from one subplot to another. The characters are bland. Sacha Brown Cohen brings a little life and laughter in the movie, yes, but the mysterious George M?li?s, the toy owner played Ben Kingsley, is the only engaging character; you can see through the broken man.

Hugo's discovery and the secret behind George M?li?s is the obvious reason why the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences nominated Hugo for Best Picture. I'm not going to give spoilers, so you have to watch the movie. Yes, the revelation of George's secret had woken me up from my stupor, momentarily delighting me, as I am passionate about the subject. But because of the messy storytelling, the entire movie is still underwhelming. Like I said, it's a weird merging of The Artist and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but not weaved smoothly together, scattered and a bit confused.

The movie's visuals are gorgeous and brilliant, and the story of George M?li?s is tragic and beautiful. But Hugo, at its core, is supposed to be a magical and adventure story-- and sadly, it failed to touch and sweep me off my feet, made even worse by the unnecessary 3D. Plainly speaking, I got bored. Without the abrupt twist to George M?li?s' story, I would find the movie soulless and irritating.

The only lingering part of the movie for me are the following lines from the blank-faced Hugo:

"If you lose your purpose, it's like you're broken."

"I'd imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figured if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn't be an extra part. I had to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason too."

hugo-movie-still-9642f.jpg

tw-hugo-movie-650.jpg

1123-Film-Review-Hugo_full_600.jpg

HUGO_07.jpg

4 out of 10 stars

Hugo hits Philippine theaters on February 15, 2012.

Discuss the movie at the Hugo thread.
    this-means-war-poster.jpg
    Action | Comedy | Romance

This movie is proof that you can never rely on trailers.

I had zero intention of watching This Means War when I saw the preview, but circumstances have pushed me a little to watch it and review it for you, dear movie buffs. And, boy, was I pleasantly surprised! I never expected that I'd be doubling over with laughter. Can't remember the last time when I cracked up terribly inside the movie house, along with the audience, and waking up the following day still remembering some of the hilarious scenes.

Best friends FDR (Chris Pine) and Tuck (Tom Hardy) are top CIA agents whose bromance is ruined when they realized that they are both infatuated with the same girl-- the feisty and lovelorn product evaluator Lauren Scott (Reese Witherspoon). What began as a gentlemanly agreement between the two guys to fight fair in the name of love, ends in a heated and hysterical competition filled with absurd spy tactics, eliciting a lot of LOLs. Adding to the equation Lauren's best friend Trish (played by comedienne "Girl Behaving Badly" Chelsea Handler), as a bored mother wanting to live vicariously through Lauren's life, the movie becomes even more thigh-slapping hilarious.

Directed by McG (Terminator: Salvation), This Means War is a fast-paced popcorn flick brimming with wit, with great chemistry between the main cast. What actually makes it a riot of a comedy is the well-written screenplay; the characters firing off intelligent humor with such speed and precision that is perfectly streamlined with the high-level of testosterone in the movie's crazy spy game.

Only one complaint: Although Handler delivers her lines perfectly, oozing with the usual deadpan and sarcastic humor you see in her talk show Chelsea Lately, her eyes are creepily empty. Zero acting in the eyes, which is actually bothersome. But because the script is great and she has the gift of gab, you'd still find yourself bursting with laughter whenever she shoots off her colorful and playful commentaries.

This Means War is a crazy, fun, action-packed romantic comedy that will de-stress you, and make you momentarily forget how unexciting and depressing the line-up of Best Picture Oscar nominees is for this year.

I'd see this movie again.

THIS-MEANS-WAR-1.jpg
    This_Means_War-535x356.jpg
    This-Means-War-Theatrical-Still-5.png
    normal_014.jpg

8.5 out of 10 stars

In cinemas tomorrow, 22 February 2012

Discuss the movie in the This Means War thread.
    the-vow-poster.jpg
    Drama | Romance

The movie is absolutely heartbreaking. Not the story-- but the fact that when Valentine's Day rolled in, poor gooey-eyed females eager for some silver-screen romance trekked to the cinemas and paid for this movie only to have received a pseudo-story.

Based on true events, The Vow's premise is a tragically beautiful love story; but, unfortunately, the story was translated into a movie tragically.

Paige (Rachel McAdams), in one snowy evening, removed her seatbelt and leaned over to kiss her husband, Leo (Channing Tatum). Out of the blue, a truck perfectly rearended their car, sending her through the windshield and into a coma. When Paige wakes up, five years' worth of memory--which includes her entire married life and relationship with Leo--are lost. Her amnesia reverts her back into her juvenile law school days, like a spoiled sorority girl, and back to the arms of her snobby parents (Sam Neill and Jessica Lange) and her old yuppy boyfriend Jeremy (Scott Speedman). Leo (Channing Tatum) is devastated and helplessly tries to win her back by showing his pectoral muscles-- because Paige not only looks at him like a stranger but her brains also seem to have eliminated her manners and sense of consideration for other people, most especially to the sad-eyed stranger telling her that he's her legal husband.

The Vow, directed by Michael Sucsy, fails to elicit the appropriate emotions from a supposedly tragic love story. The couple has zero percent chemistry, and Tatum looks utterly dull and sounds even more dull, which brings back to mind Moose of the Archie comic series-- except Tatum is brunette and is all bohemian with his straw hat. Rachel McAdams is effective as an irritating beatch, but she makes too much cutesy faces and beautiful eyes, which would have been actually cute if it weren't for her glop of bad hair.

The movie, narrated dully by a monotonous Tatum, has a screenplay with painfully shallow and banal lines that feel like that they were written by high school-- lazy high school students for a school project. Did I miss the old Paige and felt Leo's yearning for her? No. Did I feel that that were head over heels in love before the accident? No. Did my heart melt when Leo tried to win her back? No. Did I find it butterflies-in-the-stomach romantic when they were having a marvelous time on their post-amnesia date, intoxicated with happiness while popping various flavors of chocolates in their mouth (could be rigged with weed), or when they skinny dipped just so Leo could seduce her with his pectoral muscles? No! Did I find myself caring for the characters? Hell no! Did I become annoyed with Rachel McAdam's old personality? Check!

The Vow, with poorly written conflicts and shallow lines, wasted such a good idea for a drama love story. Did it urge me to research about the real couple whose story inspired this movie? Nope! After watching the movie, I just felt like exercising and toning my stomach to eliminate my muffin tops.

618-thevow.jpg

300.2vow.ls.2712.jpg

rachel-mcadams-channing-tatum-the-vow.jpg

3.5 out of 10 stars

Still showing in your favorite cinemas.

Agree or disagree with me, or simply discuss the movie in The Vow thread.
    Unofficially-Yours-Poster-1.jpg

Just can't wait to see the most talk about movie this love month. It is the second week of this film and the theater is jam packed as if we were still watching a premiere night. And yes it is OFFICIAL that this movie already reached the 100 million mark in just a week.

Mackie (John Llyod Cruz) met Cez (Angel Locsin) in a beach where they had a one night hook-up. Surprisingly they met again in his new job in the Manila Bulletin. Both agreed to have a no commitment relationship that only intends to have fun. But soon Mackie fall in love with Cez which leads into complication because Cez is still hurt from her past relationship and afraid to take the risk in getting hurt again.

Unofficially-Yours-Official-Movie-Poster.jpg

We really loved the movie, it's like a Filipino version of Friends with benefits starring Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis but Unofficially Yours had a different attack that leads to a lot of fun and cheerful scenes. The leads were at the top of their prime performing in their playful characters. The story was enjoyable all throughout. A very well made romantic comedy genre, though it just lacks a little of cheesy "kilig moments" that Star Cinema films always had. But still the humor and the presence of the stars was strongly felt providing a nice chemistry between the leads in the whole movie.

Director Cathy Garcia Molina never fails in her masterpiece. She always had that magical touch in making this kind of films that always leaves a mark. John Llyod Cruz always a perfect lead that can make any movie a sure hit and adapts well with Angel Locsin, maybe because the two already knew the style of each other as they worked together in Immortal. They are a perfect combination and they really handled their emotions well specially in the serious scenes.

The really fun part is the "patweetums" looks of John Llyod in most of the scenes. The supporting cast also did a nice job in comedic parts. Overall Unofficially yours is not a chick flick, It's a movie to enjoy that is pleasant to watch. It's not to late for the guys to have their post valentines day movie date with their girl in this awesomely funny romantic movie.

Rating:8.5 stars out of 10

Casts: John Llyod Cruz, Angel Locsin, Edgar Allan Guzman, K Brosas, Edgar Mortiz and Tetchie Agbayani.

Directed By: Cathy Garcia Molina
    Distributed By: Star Cinema
    Now on It's 2nd Week

Discuss the movie at Unofficially Yours thread
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    movieimage.jpg

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is anchored by a boy who has idiosyncratic reactions to a life-changing event. With a not-so-likable lead and a real life tragedy in the background, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a difficult movie to sit through but it does offer an interesting point of view of someone going through a deep pain.

Oskar (Thomas Horn) is an eleven year old boy struggling to deal with the death of his father (Tom Hanks) who died during the 9/11 attacks. A year after his death, Oskar finds a key labeled “Black” in his father's belongings and he begins his hunt to track down its origin thinking that this is his father's last challenge that he needs to solve. In his journey, Oskar meets various people including the mysterious The Renter (Max Von Sydow) but at the same time it pulls him away with his mother (Sandra Bullock).

The film suggests that Oskar is suffering from Asperger's Syndrome and with him narrating the story, it gives us a glimpse on how someone who has a special condition like him process a devastating event of a losing someone in such a horrible way. As I said above it's not an easy watch and a lot of Oskar's mannerisms and actions will make you want to slap him but what the film does is to get us in his shoes,to let us see how he process a pain when he doesn't have the emotional capability to digest it all in. That for me is fascinating to watch as I felt Oskar's confusion and the hunger to get an answer to a question he does not fully understand but feels the need to uncover it in any way possible. I felt the struggle of not getting the answer he wanted and letting go of the memory of the person that he loves so much.

I'm not sure if Oskar is an accurate depiction of most kids with special needs but I have to say though that the character resonated well with me because I personally know someone who's just like him and what I saw in the movie mirrors him perfectly. They offend people obliviously because they say things as it is. Deep inside though they want to connect to people better but their obsessive and detail-oriented nature keeps them from doing so.

The controversial aspect of this movie is the fact that story's point of inception is during the September 11 attacks at the World Trade Center in New York. It's a sensitive topic that must be handled delicately and I have to say that some of the choices director Stephen Daldry made pushed the buttons a little too hard making the film somehow exhausting to watch. In some ways it felt like the tragedy was exploited to manipulate emotions but however the sense of grief felt in the incident tied in with Oskar's emotional journey.

With Oskar at the center of the story, it's important that they get the right actor to play this difficult character and Thomas Horn did an excellent job. For a first timer (he was discovered in the quiz show Jeopardy), it's quite impressive how he held his ground with seasoned actors. I can imagine how physically and emotionally difficult the role is and while there were scenes in the first part of the film where Horn's performance felt too calculated, he lets loose as the movie progresses.

Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock are the big names in the cast but it should be noted that their roles are quite small especially Hanks for obvious reasons. But to their credit they made their short scenes shine and Bullock in particular was strong in the confrontation scene she had with Oskar. While the screenplay did not have the extensive background of The Renter like in the novel, Max Von Sydow's performance was so good that the character left a very strong impression.

Screenwriter Eric Roth did a solid job of adapting Jonathan Safran Foer's book as Oskar's voice in the novel was translated well on the big screen. For those who read the book, some characters in the novel are not present here like Ron (Linda's friend whom Oskar suspects as her new boyfriend) and the old man who does not leave his room until he accompanies Oskar in his search. And while the book's original ending was there,the film added a couple of new scenes to wrap up the story in a more traditional way. The film's ending felt a little too heavy-handed but it connects well to the story overall.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close at its core is a film about grief and the process of dealing with a great loss. The film worked for me on an emotional level, it maybe not be for everyone as the divided critical reception suggests, but it has a story worth telling.

Rating: 8 / 10

Cast:
    Thomas Horn
    Tom Hanks
    Sandra Bullock
    Max Von Sydow

Director:
    Stephen Daldry

Distributor:
    Warner Bros Picture Philippines

Opens on February 29, 2012

Discuss the movie at the Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close thread
    war-horse-movie-poster.jpg
    Drama | History | War

Recently, Steven Spielberg has been in the habit of giving us nostalgic movies; the style and storytelling distinctly and refreshingly old-fashioned, like Super 8, The Adventures of Tintin, and now the Oscar-nominated Best Picture and the most old-fashioned of all, War Horse.

The two-hour-and-a-half epic tale about the adventures of wartime horse Joey, a stunningly beautiful thoroughbred, has cinematic style reminiscent of Gone with the Wind. Watching War Horse feels like watching a movie on Turner Classics channel—the sweeping and dramatic landscapes, lush rolling hills, silhouettes against sunsets, storybook cottages and windmills, soaring musical score, and Joey’s teenage owner Albert (Jeremy Irvine) having the classic good looks.

From the time he was a pony, Joey exudes animal magnetism, no pun intended. Aside from his picture-perfect horse physique, there is something extraordinary and almost magical about the horse. Ultimately separated from Albert who raised him, and passed on from one owner to another in the midst of World War I, Joey shows remarkable traits and almost human empathy. And in the end, the great weeper and animal-lover that I am, my throat inevitably constricted and tears trickled down my cheeks. Simply because I'm a sap.

There’s nothing extraordinary or lingering about the linear story. In fact, the lengthy War Horse can be dragging and boring if you don't pay enough attention to it. The story is almost lackluster and requires intense concentration to finish it right until the predictable albeit very touching ending. However, the cinematography is breathtaking-- most especially the war scenes that will really grab your attention; the superb camera angles, the amazing war sounds, and falling soldiers...they all feel real-- very gripping scenes.

Joey was not really given major presence in the movie; rather, the movie’s substance focus on the lives of each passing owner; the horse’s effect on them, the joy that Joey brings into their lives even for only a brief period of time, and of course, their emotional attachment to the remarkable beast. Do not expect Joey, with eyes so alive and so human, to display out-of-this world characteristics (otherwise, this would have been a sci-fi movie); rather he is simply admirably strong, determined, and compassionate in an extraordinary and very human way.

War Horse's distinct, charmingly old-fashioned style, as well as the seriously meticulous production, have earned its right to be Oscar-nominated. However, you just know that it definitely won’t take home the Oscar gold because it doesn't have a strong impact that makes a movie great. And it did not win, based on the recently concluded Oscars. But if you are a fan of the classics, a lover of horses, and you are in the mood to watch a refreshing storybook-like cinematography, then you might appreciate War Horse.

:moviebuff:

Also starring Emily Watson and David Thewlis.

war-horse-movie-image-jeremy-irvine-01.jpg

war-horse-movie-photo-13.jpg

591_6ab_15_02701.png

6 out of 10 stars

Opens today, February 29, 2012

Discuss the movie in the War Horse thread.
    one-for-the-money-poster.jpg

The adaptation of Janet Evanivich's book was really quite entertaining even it's a chick flick. With this movie providing a mystery fun type of a story, One for the Money gave catchy scenes and a well written script.

Stephanie Plum (Katherine Heigl), is a divorced woman who is recently fired from her job at the lingerie department of Newark Macy's. Short at cash and desperately needs a job, his cousin offers her a job as a bounty hunter. Her first assignment is Joe Morelli (Jason O'Mara) which happens Stephanie's Ex-lover and wanted for murder. While chasing Joe, Stephanie was drag down to uncover much darker mysteries along the way.

one-for-the-money01.jpg

The story was fun, with a touch of mystery and romance the film never had a dull moment. Katherine Heigl is the perfect fit for portraying the role of Stephanie Plum. She's hot and admirable from head to toe. Though his leading man is not that popular, O'Mara reminds me of Matthew McConaughey. He is a great lead for Heigl as they had a nice chemistry. Though the movie was only 91 minutes long it was entertaining especially the cat and mouse chases with a little bit of romance between the leads stars. However the mystery of the story did not bring a lot of tension but still managed to stay interesting.

Overall One for the money rendered a nice set of characters including a naked man, a talkative hooker and a witty grandma. With a soft comedy touch and a great delivery by the stars, the movie appealed the audiences. Expect a few good laughs in some of the scenes and expect a hot semi naked Katherine Heigl handcuff in her shower room.

kinopoisk_ru-One-for-the-Money-1661294.jpg

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

Casts: Katherine Heigl, Jason O'Mara, Daniel Sunjata, Sherri Shepherd and Debra Monk

Directed By: Julie Ann Robinson
    Distributed By: Pioneer Films
    Now Showing at your favorite cinemas

Discuss the movie at the One for the Money (2012) thread
    moneyball-movie-photo-01-550x359-thumb-450x293-30094.jpg
    Biography | Drama | Sport

"The problem we're trying to solve is that there are rich teams and there are poor teams, then there's fifty feet of crap, and then there's us.'

Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) is the general manager of Oakland Athletics--or the A's--who's below fifty feet of crap, with only $140 million on their 2002 payroll (compared to the $126 million of the New York Yankees) and on a losing streak. If you say you hate sports or you don't care the least about baseball, then Moneyball, nominated Oscar Best Picture this year, will fascinate you.

Based on Michael Lewis's bestselling business book of the same title, we follow the true story of Billy Beane as he reinvents baseball, defying the rules of scouting for ballplayers-- relying on science and statistics to put together a championship team to compete against rich teams. Together with a 25-year-old Economics Yale graduate Peter Brand (Jonah Hill), a non-athlete follower of statistical guru Bill James, Beane drafts ballplayers based on algorithms, not on the usual criteria for picking out players. He picks the funny, the almost-lame, the almost-freaks, and the insecure for a bargain price, seeing their value based on sabermetrics. As a result, Beane earns the shock and ridicule of the baseball community; he is ostracized and mocked. But Beane stubbornly sticks to his unorthodox management. Will it work? Or will he validate the world's view of him as a cuckoo who diminishes the romance in baseball?

With a brilliant screenplay by Steve Zaillian (Schindler's List) and Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network), under the masterful direction of Bennett Miller (Capote), Moneyball is a triumphant film adaptation, a movie with a heart and soul despite the hard and cold numbers used to measure the value of a ballplayer. Brad Pitt, Oscar-nominated for Best Actor in this movie as the tobacco-chewing, chair-throwing Beane, is captivating and enigmatic, surprisingly effective-- and a delight to watch with Jonah Hill.

What is distinctly excellent about this movie is the way the characters' dialogues flow, complement, and clash together. Also, the baseball sentiments in the movie, the attitudes, the unpredictable tide of losing and winning, can be applied to life in general and will move you in many ways.

With cutting dialogue and sharp humor, elegant and beautiful cinematography (incorporated with real life footages), intelligent narrative, and a musical score that adds to the thrill of Beane revolutionizing the game, the movie is flawless. It's straightforward yet romantic, funny yet dramatic, deadpan yet thrilling, slick and savvy, and surprisingly touching.

Out of all the nine Oscar Best Picture nominees, it was Moneyball that gave me goosebumps.*

:moviebuff:

Also starring: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Wright

moneyball-movie-2011-6_brad-pitt.jpg

moneyball-i1.jpg

moneyball-movie.jpg

9.5 out of 10 stars

Opens in cinemas March 7th, 2012

Discuss the movie in the Moneyball thread.
    movieimage.jpg

John Carter is an adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom series that tells the story of former confederate military captain John Carter who accidentally got transported to Mars where he became in-between conflicts of the inhabitants of the red planet that includes the Tars Tarkas and the people of Helium living in a world that is about to be destroyed and ruled by the leader of an opposing tribe who was gifted a powerful “blue” ray by some ‘supernatural’ beings.

The storyline of the film has so much potential that it will make you really excited from the start since it would explain much of what the struggle of the film is and be introduced to different characters in it. It’s just too bad that the characterization took much of the explaining without actually letting us know more about Barsoom itself.
    c71070171d79287215642badd4655f7a.jpg

The Tars Tarkas were the most interesting characters in the film and it feels like watching Star Wars with all the sub-storyline involving them. I thought their Gladiator-like challenge was fun but it was comical at the end since it’s not even that important which I later figured out why it ended that way (audience alike had a good laugh involving these green Martians.) Nevertheless, I think they are the characters to watch for, as the rest seemed a bit forgettable. Of course, Taylor Kitsch (John Carter) is definitely a one charming hero in the film and thought he delivered the best performance but his lines totally failed him. He and Lyn Collins (Princess of Helium) have great chemistry though, so that should be a bit of a plus to consider.

e9dc09683a28e311bb6fce2c2814f76c.jpg

I will not say that the film reached its maximum potential with all the thrilling action sequences and special effects but it definitely is asking for a sequel (hmm maybe?). I mean, there’s just too many gaps and questions unanswered (especially for someone who have not read the book / series). John Carter is a “Martian hero” and that’s just it – it somehow led you to ask more questions. I mean, I think that’s a good thing because there’s a hunger to know more about John Carter and the people of Barsoom because it goes to show that it’s somewhat interesting to its audience. Overall, I’m not sure if the film will please everybody but I think kids would love this one and its great cinematic effects. It’s maybe a bit underwhelming due to the unrealized sub-plots but it’s okay for an hour and a half film.

Rating: 6.5/10
    Genre: Science-Fiction
    Cast: Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Willem Dafoe, Dominic West
    Director: Andrew Stanton
    Distributor: Disney

Opening on March 9 through Digital 3D and IMAX 3D in Metro Manila.

Discuss the movie at the JOHN CARTER thread.
    The-Lorax-Poster-2.png

"I am the Lorax and I speak for the trees" so said the Lorax, a yellow mustached cat like creature as he explains that trees can't speak for themselves. Thneedville, is seemingly a happy town where people are contented with plastic tress and bottled air. Ted (Zac Efron), a 12 year old kid who wants to impress Audrey (Taylor Swift), her cute neighbor who wanted to see a real tree. His grandmother told him to find the Once-ler outside the town to know what happened to the trees. With lengthy flashbacks the Once-ler told Ted what happened and now the future lies in his hands.

the-lorax-pic04.jpg

We admit that we indeed love animated films as we are still young at heart. With Dr. Seuss: The Lorax, It genuinely amuse us with the CGI effects, fancy characters and the good material of the story. It's not an average animated film as it will taught kids and adults to care for our environment as the movie shows what would happen if there were no trees left. A lot of funny scenes all throughout that everyone would enjoy specially the fishes who loves to sing and amazingly could walk.

2390-FPF-00614R-jpg_175458.jpg

With the a nice variety of voices, the animation feels so right and never had a missed spot. Along with the musical scenes that is so playful The Lorax absolutely gave the audience a reason to enjoy it more. The characters can easily stick in your head specially Mr. O'hare which we can compare with our former president (lol). They are all likable and entertaining. An awesome charming cast leaded by Danny DeVito as the Lorax, Zac Efron as Ted Taylor Swift as Audrey and Ed Helms as the Once-ler.

DD5C2DD9D73859DD190263CBD8B.jpg

Overall the movie is a must watch as the formula of the story relied on preserving our environment and in every ticket you purchase a part of it will go to a tree planting cause in which they are aiming to plant 2012 trees. It also has an awesome 3D visuals so it's worth to see it in an IMAX theater. Experience Dr. Seuss masterpiece: The Lorax only at cinemas this Wednesday.

"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its Not"- The Lorax

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

Casts: Danny DeVito, Zac Efron, Ed Helms, Taylor Swift, Betty White and Rob Riggle.

Directed By: Chris Renaud and Kyle Balda
    Distributed By: United International Pictures through Solar Entertainment Corporation
    Opens on March 14 at your favorite cinemas
    Experience it in IMAX 3D

Discuss the movie at The Lorax thread

Watch the trailer at PEx Trailer Page
    2584d3f88902e4995825d5b51057c560.jpg

Corazon Ang Unang Aswang is about a couple namely Corazon and Daniel who has been trying desperately to have a child for a very long time and are settled in the quiet place of Magdalena. Corazon finally was able to bore a child but became berserk when the child died upon its birth. It is from there that Corazon turned into a monstrous Aswang that terrorized the village.

The film was set in 1946 and is nowhere near the usual scary Aswang film as a regular viewer may perceive upon reading its title. It is somewhat a story that tackles the Filipino myth about “Aswang.” To begin with, there is no mention of Aswang over the whole duration of the film. Superstitions has it that Aswang eats human and animal flesh and in this film, Corazon did all of these.
    694665e9cd08060b13b34011c6423a03.jpg

I thought Erich Gonzales who played Corazon did a fantastic job as a barrio lass being ridiculed by the village people for her inability to bear a child. It was too cliché a scene but she really does look the part! Her innocent charm paired with the very charismatic Derek Ramsay who played Daniel, his loving husband may probably be the main factor that saved the film from its rather draggy feel about it.

Another commendable performances are from Mon Confiado and Mark Gil who delivered the goods as usual but Jeffrey Quizon who somehow played Daniel’s bestfriend and narrated the film in some parts gave the best performance. I will give him an A+ for believability. I thought Tetchie Agbayani’s character was unnecessary if not to build up the parallelism of what happened to her in the past and what will happen to Corazon. The characterization was a total giveaway and just predictable.

I was actually eyeing some loopholes because there seemed to be many but I cannot put my fingers on them because the film’s vibe is sucking me in that I could predict what “will / may” happen next. Clearly, Corazon acquired no superpowers but if she feeds on a dead human flesh – won’t she die or atleast get poisoned and eventually die? I guess I’m being condescending about that fact or maybe, she really did acquire some supernatural attributes that was not mentioned in the film. Also, the shots of Corazon being her evil self are reminiscent of the “monsters” in other Asian horror films such as The Ring and The Grudge. It was all good though as it intensify each scene even more.

On a more positive note, I thought the film’s cinematography is genius! I love how each frame were captured in a very consistent way and kudos to the accompanying score for it gave the maximum feel of the most important scenes – I particularly love the scene when Corazon went to the hill to pray for two weeks. It was just creepy!

Overall, there isn’t much to munch on the film’s plot as it narrowly gives the audience a dramatization of the supposed first “Aswang,” a monster created by the town’s people that eventually evolved to be part of the Filipino culture. The good thing though is that it was a subtle employment of our still existing folklore that younger viewers may or may not appreciate at all. I am hoping it is the former.

Rating: 6.5/10
    Genre: Horror - Drama
    Director: Richard Somes
    Main Cast: Erich Gonzales, Derek Ramsay, Mark Gil, Jeffrey Quizon, Mon Confiado, Tetchie Agbayani
    Distributor: Skylights Films /Star Cinema
    Corazon Ang Unang Aswang is currently showing at your favorite cinemas.

Watch its trailer [URL="http://www.pinoyexchange.com/?page_vie w=trailer"]HERE[/URL].
    Discuss the movie at the [URL="http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/sho wthread.php?t=478077"]Corazon: Ang Unang Aswang[/URL] thread
  • CooCooCooCoo Member ✭✭
    mirror-mirror-movie.jpg

Mirror Mirror is comedy fantasy film based on ‘’Snow White’’ by the Brothers Grimm. It is directed by Tarsem Singh and stars Lily Collins, Julia Roberts, Armie Hammer, and Sean Bean. The film, which had previously been known as Untitled Snow White Project, was officially titled Mirror Mirror on November 4, 2011.

julia-roberts-snow-white-620X400.jpg

When I first learned about this movie I was not excited about it. I thought that this will be just another lame adaptation of the fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves but I was wrong. The story is original. Not the usual “prince saves the damsel in distress” story but it is the opposite. I recommend this movie to people of all ages. Adults will be entertained and kids will have a laugh (especially with the dwarves) and will learn a moral lesson.

Mirror, Mirror stars Lily Collins (Also starred in Abduction – the movie staring the wolf in the Twilight movies) as Snow White, Armie Hammer (Played the twins in the Facebook movie, The Social Network) as the Prince and Julia Roberts (We all know what movies Julia became famous) as the Queen. It is directed by Tarsem Singh, an Indian director who also directed the movie Immortals. I was amused of what the director did to the ending credits of the movie. He incorporated a little Bollywood to it. The effects and technical aspects are impressive. You might be wondering what kind of special effects a Snow White movie needs but the story has creatures and magic spells in it.

I’ve told you that this is not the usual “prince saves the damsel in distress” story because in this movie the damsel has a couple of fight scenes and she is the one who saves the prince from an evil spell.

mirror_mirror.jpg

Overall, the movie was entertaining, funny, worth your time and money and gives a moral lesson in the end. I give this movie PEx Review Rating of 8 out of 10 stars (or apples). A must see movie for the whole family.
    tumblr_lwhdnzz4001qc5ogoo1_500.jpg

All we know that there is two Snow White film adaptation this year and this version is much family oriented and would surely give a color to the classic fairytale.

Snow White (Lily Collins) is living with the wicked queen ( Julia Roberts) who remorselessly rules a kingdom that really belongs to her. With the kingdom in despair of losing royalty the queen wants to marry a young prince (Armie Hammer) but when the prince saw Snow White he quickly fell in love with her beauty. Now the queen wants Snow White dead but with the help of the seven rebel dwarfs they would help her to fight for the freedom of her kingdom.

snow-white-relativity-media-06.jpg

We can say that this is an enjoyable adaptation of Snow White. At first we thought that the story was the same but it is a different untold version. The story was fun and the characters was amusing specially the dwarfs with new names each with unique personality. Lily Collins was a perfect fit to play Snow White, with her alluring beauty you can love her character easily except for her annoying eyebrows that really bothered us. Lynn Collins (John Carter) is a different actress as we would like to clarify that as some people are confused thinking that she is also Snow White. Julia Roberts was a good choice for the evil queen as we saw a pleasant side of her. Instead of hating her because she's a villain, you'll enjoy what she does as she so entertaining. Such a priceless adaptation that will give you something to talk about after.

Mirror+Mirror+18.jpg

Overall Mirror Mirror is a feel good movie, a perfect film for the whole family especially for teens who want to see their childhood favorite come to life. From the cast, to the setting up to the story it's worth to watch in the big screen. We recommend this film as we enjoyed it a lot. It's a plus for us as we are ahead of other countries because we had an earlier release date of the film. Mirror Mirror is slated to open March 30 in the US.

Experience the magical story one more time on March 15.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars

Casts: Lily Collins, Julia Roberts, Sean Bean, Armie Hammer and Nathan Lane

Directed by: Tarsem Singh
    Distributed by: Pioneer Films
    Opens March 15 on your favorite cinemas

Watch the trailer at PEx Trailer page

Discuss the movie at Mirror Mirror thread
    The-Hunger-Games-movie-poster-12162011.jpg

Finally after a long wait The Hunger Games opens today. This is the first time I watched a jam-packed advance screening for a foreign movie as a lot of people took seats on the floor to experience the most anticipated movie this year.

images.jpg

Every year the Capitol hosts an annual game called the Hunger Games in which one girl and boy in each district aged 12-18 are drawn via lottery to participate in a televised battle for survival as everyone should kill one another to become the sole survivor. On the reaping day Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) was frightened when her little sister Prim was drawn to represent district 12 so she decided to volunteer as a tribute in order to save her sister and for the boys Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) was picked. In order to survive the games they were mentored by a drunkard Haymitch Abernathy (Woody Harrelson). The two must survive the odds in order to win this prestigious event

Another saga is born with The Hunger Games providing an epic adaptation of the book written by Suzanne Collins. The movie was just an epic start of the three book series. This is a high adrenaline fast paced complete package film that will surely blow your cinematic experience. No wonder if the film breaks box office receipts next week as it would surely be the newest phenomenon for the youth.

HungerGamesKatnissBowArrow.jpg

The film was brilliant as the story was balanced perfectly all throughout. The action, that everyone expects in this movie that's well provided by minimizing the brutality but still compels to the story. The drama, in which you'll feel the effects of the tragic losses endured by the characters that you care for. The romance, between the leads that would start another triangle affair that will be developed more to the succeeding films. The suspense, from the fight scenes that you cheer for Katniss and Peeta to stay alive against the odds that are thrown to them. A well distributed fast paced story that will pump your energy level and would aim to glue you into your seat until the end of credits.

As for the casts Jennifer Lawrence outlasted a lot of young actresses who auditioned for Katniss role in which perfectly suites her. Those fiery personality gave the audiences a reason to cheer for. She totally made Katniss role so likable and effective. For Josh Hutcherson he did a good job portraying Peeta which soon would start another love rivalry against Gale played by Liam Hemsworth that barely felt in this film. A huge plus for the supporting casts as they did a nice job portraying their characters.

Screen-shot-2012-02-29-at-10.56.53-AM.png

Overall The Hunger Games left me another reason to forget the prediction that the world would end this December as the second installment of this series is set to be released November next year. I recommend this movie to each and everyone who would like to see a one of a kind film that will surely entertain you from start to finish.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars

Casts: Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Wes Bentlry and Stanley Tucci

Directed by: Gary Ross
    Opens today at your favorite cinemas

Discuss the movie at The Hunger Games ReviewsThread

Watch the Trailer here
    888972feac819dfb914d4f177d0aeba4.jpg

I was not even aware of its book until last year when news erupted about its film adaptation. Suzanne Collins, author of the book wrote the screenplay of the film along with director Gary Ross and Billy Ray. There are likely many who have not read the book and do not know their Panems and Districts. Panem is the name of the nation that has risen from the ruins of once then North America. The people from its 12 Districts are subject to select one boy and one girl to participate in the annual ‘Hunger Games’ taking part in a battle where there is only one participant who will emerge as the winner. The Hunger Games is a televised reality show complete with sponsors and commentaries. This, according to the ‘Capitol’ leaders serves as a reminder of the people’s failed uprising against them that happened decades ago.

The film let us in to the colorful universe of Panem and its poor twelve districts. It features the central female protagonist Katniss Everdeen, played by Oscar-nominated actress Jennifer Lawrence who yet again delivered another beautiful performance similar to her lead stint in Winter’s Bone. Katniss is the caretaker of her sister Primrose whom she promised to protect no matter what and her widowed mother who is too depressed to do anything. She is a skilled hunter who uses her skills to feed her starving family.

When Primrose name was selected in her first year of eligibility to the game, Katniss stepped up for her sister and volunteer as a tribute. The baker Peeta Mellark was the boy chosen for their district. Both were brought to the Capitol, went through make-overs and a bit of training and eventually were brought to the battleground where violence soon claimed the lives of those who are participating in the game.

a184ed3eda49f27f72ee6b49b601e012.jpg

dbf4bb84f25b3a5706da646566c30f32.jpg

The film is almost three hours and you won’t even feel that it was that long because there’ just so much in it. It was never boring and the story itself is way engaging that you’d really feel the characters, like she / he are representing your district. The cast ensemble is impeccable. Everyone seemed to really play his or her part really well. My favorite characters in this film would have to be Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks), the mistress of ceremonies during the reaping for District 12 and Rue (Amandla Stenberg) from District 11. Her death was very heartbreaking that I can’t help but tear up a little. Jennifer Lawrence whose vulnerability and pain as she portrayed Katniss was the ultimate torch that carry the film altogether. Gary Ross made some very interesting visuals in the film that contradicts the darkness of its main theme’s premise. There is no hesitation nor inhibition about the brutality of the game and the screenplay is just in its perfect state. The only criticism I may have about this film would have to be the development of Katniss and Peeta’s love story.

Overall, the film is as beautiful as its book but what the movie delivered is a world that captured the essence of its source into an effortless and magnificent cinematic experience.

and with that, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Rating: 9.5/10

Casts: Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Wes Bentlry and Stanley Tucci

Directed by: Gary Ross
    Opens today at your favorite cinemas

Discuss the movie at The Hunger Games ReviewsThread

Watch the Trailer here

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file