Home PEx Campus University of the Philippines

Creative Crisis

I'm an incoming fourth year high school student, so, as you might have guessed, I'm having a problem choosing what undergrad program to take for college. This confused little girl would really appreciate your thoughts/advice :).*

I like writing. I'm not good, no, but I enjoy it enough to want to learn more about it. Truth be told, Creative Writing is the only course I can look at and say "Hey, I might make it through this. I might even love it."

But the thing is, I don't think it's going to be good for me career-wise. At least, that's what I've been told. So I'm looking for other courses that I might like, but so far, that search has given me nil, zilch, nada. This is probably because apart from reading and writing, nothing else I do in school really appeals to me. I'm not a big fan of math and the sciences, so that narrows down my possible courses greatly. But even as I scan the impressive list of undergrad programs that UP has to offer, there's really nothing that attracts me but that one course that doesn't exactly offer a secure job for me... Creative Writing.

Anyone here who is/was a Creative Writing student? What do you suggest that I do? And anyone who simply loves reading and writing but did not necessarily take that Creative Writing road... I'd appreciate your thoughts. Your experiences might help, too.:)

*I am, in no way, assuming that I'd pass the UPCAT. But it won't hurt to hope a little, no?

Comments

• I don't really know a thing or two about CW pero you might want to try BA Comparative Literature or BA Journ.
  • I only took CW 10 as a GE and I don't think it's a great enough experience that I could tell you what to expect (it's GE, again).

However, I would think that any writing and research-centric degree offered by the College of Arts and Letters would be a good choice for you. You may check out the different curricula of degrees available in the CAL here, and you can decide which one suits you. In the meantime, I would try to give you a guide to them based on what interests are related to it.

format: Degree - interest (major or concentration)

Art Studies - art, music, reading, writing (Art History, Interdisciplinary, Philippine Art)
    English Studies - reading, writing, analysis (Anglo-American Literature, English Language)
    Comparative Literature - reading, writing, analysis (Asian Literatures, European Literatures, Philippine Literatures in English and in English Translation)
    Creative Writing - reading, writing, analysis (Students major in a specific form of writing)
    Malikhaing Pagsulat - pagbabasa, pagsusulat, pagsusuri
    Filipino - pagbabasa, pagsusulat, pagsusuri
    Araling Pilipino (Philippine Studies) - pagbabasa, pagsusulat, pagsusuri

I only included degrees focusing on reading and writing, per se. The CAL offers other degrees like European Languages (which obviously focuses on languages, whether written or spoken), Speech Communication, and Theatre Arts. Alternatively, the College of Mass Communications offers a Journalism degree.

However, I would like to point out that whichever degree you pursue, you may develop your chosen major or concentration through electives, extra classes or continue on to finish a degree related to your chosen major, i.e. Political Science, Psychology, Film, etc.

Any writing and research-centric degree opens up opportunities in writing for magazines and newspapers or as a researcher for a vast number of companies or institutions and even policy-makers. Also, any Writing or English degree makes you eligible for marketing and advertising positions. It all depends on what you want to concentrate in.
  • Fission wrote: »
    I don't really know a thing or two about CW pero you might want to try BA Comparative Literature or BA Journ.

I'm not sure if I want Journ, but Comparative Literature does sound inviting, since I do love reading. Thank you. :D
    I only took CW 10 as a GE and I don't think it's a great enough experience that I could tell you what to expect (it's GE, again).

However, I would think that any writing and research-centric degree offered by the College of Arts and Letters would be a good choice for you. You may check out the different curricula of degrees available in the CAL here, and you can decide which one suits you. In the meantime, I would try to give you a guide to them based on what interests are related to it.

format: Degree - interest (major or concentration)

Art Studies - art, music, reading, writing (Art History, Interdisciplinary, Philippine Art)
    English Studies - reading, writing, analysis (Anglo-American Literature, English Language)
    Comparative Literature - reading, writing, analysis (Asian Literatures, European Literatures, Philippine Literatures in English and in English Translation)
    Creative Writing - reading, writing, analysis (Students major in a specific form of writing)
    Malikhaing Pagsulat - pagbabasa, pagsusulat, pagsusuri
    Filipino - pagbabasa, pagsusulat, pagsusuri
    Araling Pilipino (Philippine Studies) - pagbabasa, pagsusulat, pagsusuri

I only included degrees focusing on reading and writing, per se. The CAL offers other degrees like European Languages (which obviously focuses on languages, whether written or spoken), Speech Communication, and Theatre Arts. Alternatively, the College of Mass Communications offers a Journalism degree.

However, I would like to point out that whichever degree you pursue, you may develop your chosen major or concentration through electives, extra classes or continue on to finish a degree related to your chosen major, i.e. Political Science, Psychology, Film, etc.

Any writing and research-centric degree opens up opportunities in writing for magazines and newspapers or as a researcher for a vast number of companies or institutions and even policy-makers. Also, any Writing or English degree makes you eligible for marketing and advertising positions. It all depends on what you want to concentrate in.

Oh, wow, thank you for the very helpful rundown :D

I'm definitely putting Comparative Literature and English Studies into consideration. European Languages looks good, too, if not a bit scary.

On the possible jobs, that'll help me persuade my folks to let me take a CAL course, so thank you very much. They know I like writing, but they keep saying that I should go take a course that is more likely to give me a "stable" job, in which case, I'd still get to write in my free time as a freelancer while having a steady income. While that is very reasonable, I don't think I'd enjoy my full-time job, so... no thanks, folks. Just the thought of writing for a glossy, glamorous magazine, on the other hand, gives me a rush, so I'd go propose these possible jobs to them, and hopefully, they'd let me take a CAL course now. :bounce: Thanks again!
  • I would advice you to buy a copy of next Sunday's broadsheet and browse the vast number of job listings. Encircle ALL listings in which your choices of degrees are prerequisites, then show them that there's a demand that could be filled.

Also, if you are looking into European Languages, I must emphasize that there is a very high demand in a vast number of industries for language experts - may it be in accounting, statistics, research, etc. All you would need is to major in a specific language then take classes in the field you are interested in joining. Again, you could show this to your parents through actual job listings.
  • That, I'd do! Thanks again! :D
  • Take note that most CAL courses require a thesis for graduation and writing a thesis is way different than writing a "creative blog"
  • Kolmogorov wrote: »
    Take note that most CAL courses require a thesis for graduation and writing a thesis is way different than writing a "creative blog"

I can't say I'm particularly excited about the thesis part of college, since it does have a quite a dreadful reputation, but I'm well aware of it. Admittedly, I'd enjoy writing, say, a "creative blog" more than slaving over a whole book which would have my future on the line, but it can't be that bad, right?

• Any writing and research-centric degree opens up opportunities in writing for magazines and newspapers or as a researcher for a vast number of companies or institutions and even policy-makers. Also, any Writing or English degree makes you eligible for marketing and advertising positions. It all depends on what you want to concentrate in.

I am an incoming Creative Writing student in UPD. I have not yet experienced the field in the "UP level" yet, but all I really consider in choosing my courses back then (I also considered BA Journ and BA English Studies, but eventually decided on BA Creative Writing) is my interest and ability. Contrary to what others think of writing/reading/the like courses, there are a lot of job opportunities for graduates of these degrees.The careers luna_cyro16 enumerated are actually what I had in mind, too. =) You can even be a politician's underwriter, ha! LOL. Goodluck, anyway. :)
  • penspinner wrote: »
    You can even be a politician's underwriter, ha! LOL. Goodluck, anyway. :)

I think my dad actually wants me to be one after I talked them into letting me take a CAL course :lol:
  • I think my dad actually wants me to be one after I talked them into letting me take a CAL course :lol:

Wow, good for you! =) You're welcome. Besides, I think it's better if you choose a course you like, most especially since this is UP we are talking about. I mean, it is hard to stick around in UP, what with its quality of education. Being interested and able enough in the course is a key. Good luck!