Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks
Join our PEx Olympics Quiz Night and win GCash prizes! 🏅

How do you prepare your adobo? [Merged]

archerguyarcherguy PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Yes friends, ADOBO. One of our famous Filipino specialties. In our home we do the traditional way of preparing it with toyo, vinegar, garlic, paminta and sometime bay leaves. But when I went to my Chinese friend's house, their adobo was entirely different! It's sweet, with eggs, and maraming "sabaw". Kayo how do you prepare them??? Wanna try out different ways sana...

Comments

• IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I prepare adobong manok with a lot of black pepper and loads of vinegar--the more maasim, the better I like it. Then I cook it until the sauce has evaporated and what's left is really thick and gooey, and the chicken is so soft that just spearing it with a fork is going to break it up. Whenever it's my sister's turn to make dinner, she makes adobo naman the sweet way--I think she even adds a bit of teriyaki sauce to sweeten it.
  • i cook the pork with tons of garlic at first, and then add vinegar and soy sauce. then i add a bit of sugar (i like sweet kasi eh!) add a bit of water kung gusto mong maraming sabaw.

• I don't know how to cook it! As in. Everytime I try to cook it, something goes wrong, either sobrang alat, sobrang sour, sobrang masabaw...

We cook it all ways at home, may dry adobo, may masabaw (pero hindi sobra like when I cook :*) ). Nagluluto rin ang mom ko ng Chinese style adobo.

Kaasar nga eh, paborito ko pero 'di ko maluto!!!
  • ----
    sorry guyz..... but it's considered top secret strictly confidential matter to me!!!! :bleh:

*kirei :lol: @ all adobo lovers accross the globe!*

----
    bl_paw.gif
  • violtravioltra PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    big bro kirei: pati naman dito nanloloko ka ng tao?! oh well... :smokin:
  • carloscarlos PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Masarap yung medyo mapula and medyo crispy yung chicken (half-fried)...then thick yung sabaw niya. Yum!
  • Adobo is tastier "daw" the second time around. Meaning if there are adobo leftovers, you can fry them until toasted, mas masarap. I think this is how they make adobo flakes.
  • Yum yum… tsalap naman ng pinag-uusapan ninyo, ginugutom tuloy ako sa inyo. :) Isa sa paborito kong ulam ay adobo lalo na kung pork. Dati may natikman akong luto ng adobo ng kapangpangan na hinahanap-hanap ko dahil ang sarap talaga ng pagkakaluto. Nanunuot sa laman ng baboy yung lasa ng sarsa at malapot-lapot pa ang sarsa kaya kumbaga mas mukhang niluto ng medyo matagal kaya nanuot sa laman yung lasa. Bago pa ako tuluyang maglaway dito ay aalis na ako. :)

O kung sakaling merong ganadong magshare dyan ng kanilang recipe, paki-post lang ng step by step para kung may time ako ay susubukan kong lutuin. :)
  • Originally posted by ck_rei
    Adobo is tastier "daw" the second time around. Meaning if there are adobo leftovers, you can fry them until toasted, mas masarap. I think this is how they make adobo flakes.

Yyyyyup, which is why I always make more than enough! :lickout:

I just dump chopped chicken and ingredients (soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, gaahlic, ginger, crushed peppercorns) over medium heat in either a pot (soupy) or a wok (somewhat gooey reduced) for maybe 20 to 40 minutes, no saute? necessary. For that extra sweetness, li'l chinese rice wine and oyster sauce are optional.

Pork is a different matter--same ingredients as above minus oyster sauce and the wine over low heat until tender (this takes time), drain and set aside rendered juice/sauce, then fry the pork chunks like crazy over highest heat possible, and then combine with soup (or pour back soup for that gooey reduction).

It's amazing that most of us don't have exact ingredient measurements. I always start with about 1/2 cup of soy and 1/4 cup of vinegar, then I adjust and compensate half-way to get the taste right but not get caught up with the touch-up process since this is always the best way to kill the dish. NO WATER!

Dunno about you guys, but I've wasted more than enough pork and chicken in the past to get the taste right. :)
  • Originally posted by ck_rei
    Adobo is tastier "daw" the second time around. Meaning if there are adobo leftovers, you can fry them until toasted, mas masarap. I think this is how they make adobo flakes.

its whats called twice-cooked adobo. whistestop in makati and libis makes those.

i make it here in cali too for my friends.

incorporate chicken or pork or both with vinegar, lots of garlic, peppercorn, bay leaf (optional). when meat is already tender, add soy sauce (i use 1/2 kikkoman lite, 1/2 regular filipino soy sauce). simmer until vinegar and soy sauce evaporate. then fry it in its own fat.

*fry it in medium heat, the soy sauce caramelizes quickly.
  • BlisterBlister PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by congmeister

its whats called twice-cooked adobo. whistestop in makati and libis makes those.

i make it here in cali too for my friends.

incorporate chicken or pork or both with vinegar, lots of garlic, peppercorn, bay leaf (optional). when meat is already tender, add soy sauce (i use 1/2 kikkoman lite, 1/2 regular filipino soy sauce). simmer until vinegar and soy sauce evaporate. then fry it in its own fat.
    *fry it in medium heat, the soy sauce caramelizes quickly.
    :) tama.. pero what i do, hindi ko ini-evaporate lahat ng sauce.. nagtitira ako. then after frying first the chicken and pork, i also use the fat to simmer the remaining sauce... then i pour it over the fried pork and chicken para mas malasa ;)
  • deng2001deng2001 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    in a pot of chicken or pork, i just toss lots and lots of minced garlic,
    crushed pepper, put some soy sauce and vinegar(tantyahan lang,
    kung light brown na siya, tama na toyo then about 4-5 'handful'
    of vinegar...i use my hand as a measuring tbsp) tas simmer sa medium heat till tender enough to your bite. tapos, ipiprito ko sila sa isang wok till brown then set aside. tapus nun, igigisa ko ulit sa bawang, onion and kamatis. cook the kamatis till saucy, then put a lil bit of patis. throw in the meat plus yung pinaglagaan niyang sabaw and let simmer again for another 5 min. the kamatis will blend in sa tangy flavor ng vinegar and the onion adds a lil bit of sweetness and...oohlalah! taob ang sinaeng!
  • Originally posted by Ira
    I prepare adobong manok with a lot of black pepper and loads of vinegar--the more maasim, the better I like it. Then I cook it until the sauce has evaporated and what's left is really thick and gooey, and the chicken is so soft that just spearing it with a fork is going to break it up. Whenever it's my sister's turn to make dinner, she makes adobo naman the sweet way--I think she even adds a bit of teriyaki sauce to sweeten it.

the way you cooked chicken will likely looked like a shredded meat from a mummy.
  • The high school I attended here in the U.S. prepared the best pork adobo ever; I think the head cook in our school was Filipino; they also served bibinka.

The adobo was mildly sour with lots of sauces, it certainly was better than my grandma’s tasteless dry version. Every time they served adobo, about once a month, I would always go for seconds. Adobo has become a local favourite here in Hawaii, mainly because of the large Filipino community. Adobo joins the ranks of local favourites like garlic chicken, chicken katshu, teriyaki, mosubi. Sushi etc.

As for there bibinka it had a crispy top and a “chewy” but not sticky center. I would buy them during recess, it was only 50 cents.
  • Hmmm...adobo!!! I love Adobo. The thing is only my mom knows how to cook good adobo at home. And she rarely cooks. Haaay! I haven't perfected adobo. Gad I don't even know how to cook adobo!

Someone please post a step-by-step recipe for Adobo. Please.

:D
  • whytewhyte PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ingredients

Pork , cut into serving pieces
    soy sauce
    vinegar
    dried bay leaves
    pepper whole/ground
    garlic

Preparation

First of all, I do not usually measure my ingredients. It explains the above.

1. Pinapakuluan ko muna ito sa tubig to get rid of the "dirt" sa baboy. You'll see the "dirt" if you boil it first in water.
    After one round of boiling, discard the water and clean the pork using tap water

2. Mix all the other ingredients to make "adobo broth" and bring to a slow boil for the meat to soften even more at maging mas malasa.

3. After minutes of boiling, fine tune the taste to suit you. (You may add sugar to reduce the sour taste. or you can add other ingredients you want. oyster sauce, chili powder)

4. In a separate pan, heat oil and fry pork and garlic.

5. Add the "adobo broth" if you dont like dry adobo.
  • It helps if u simmer the adobo (especially for pork) over low heat for at least 2-3 hours. This renders a significant amount of the fat off (spoon off from the top layer if u are controlling cholesterol intake). Also reduces the broth and concentrates its flavor. Combination of the reduced broth, the rendered fat and the garlic is SUPER! Lalong sumasarap!!! And if u use the oil to saute garlic then rice..... whoa! Nakakataba, napakasarap, nakakaubos ng kanin, nakakaatake ng puso. hehehe
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    last week, i helped my mom cook adobo...

shemps sa kaartehan ko, naparami ang pineapple sauce!

nag-lasang crispy pata na siya tuloy... :rotflmao:
  • try it with Mama Sita's Adobo Mix! It's gooood!

have you seen the movie American Adobo?
    Cherry Pie adds eggs, tomatoes, etc on hers!
    has anybody tried it the American Adobo way?
  • tektantektan PEx Rookie ⭐
    sabi ng tita ko, gumagamit daw sya ng Sprite, pero secret lang daw yun...ooops!