Mavs get Antoine Walker from Celtics in five-player deal

team slickteam slick Ghost Barbarian ✭✭
DALLAS (AP) -- The Dallas Mavericks acquired three-time All-Star forward Antoine Walker from the Boston Celtics in a five-player deal Monday morning.

Dallas is sending Raef LaFrentz, who signed a $69 million, five-year deal before last season, to the Celtics along with Jiri Welsch and Chris Mills, players the Mavericks got in an offseason trade that also brought Antawn Jamison from Golden State. Boston also will get Dallas' first-round pick in 2004.

The Mavericks will also get guard Tony Delk from Boston.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban confirmed the deal to The Associated Press, saying it was pending league approval.

The trade was first reported by the Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on their web sites Monday morning.

Walker, who averaged 17.3 points and 8.7 rebounds last season, will split time with All-Star Dirk Nowitzki and Jamison. The Mavericks also have Eduardo Najera at forward.

Delk, a part-time starter for the Celtics, will give the Mavericks more depth at point guard behind All-Star Steve Nash and Travis Best, another offseason acquisition.

Comments

• team slickteam slick Ghost Barbarian ✭✭
    i mean what are the mavs thinking? that antoine walker would be a better player compared to raef la frentz? i mean at least raef got a 2-3 inch advantage over walker and he is not a go to guy. Now dallas would have the dilemma of having too much players who needs the ball to be effective. Hehehehe puro 3 ball ang ititira ng mga players na yan. From the lineup i guess it would have to be antawn and antoine the two antoine's inside and dirk and nash and finley on the outside. Nice concept except that dallas has gone thin upfront with najera, fortson and bradley coming off the bench for frontline support. how about if dallas sign vlademir stephania to help upfront?
  • yrrejboyyrrejboy Member PExer
    really??? .....sikip na at forward spot.... malamang for trade bait yan... future trade deals
  • leftwingerleftwinger On thin ice ✭✭
    wala talagang magawa si Cuban. now Nelson has to think of time management for his players.
  • color_s_Kaboinkcolor_s_Kaboink panda is going to eat you ✭✭✭
    ano? eh wala na ngang matinong centro ang dallas pinakawalan pa si raef!!!

hmm i smell ......something

antoine walker = trade bait!!

walker? geesh di ako bilib dito bato mga tira nito eh:)
  • kixterkixter LordoftheMonsters PExer
    ito talagang si Cuban, basta me trade, trade agad.... e puro 3 pointers mga players nila nyan.... swerte celtics, me centro na cla nyan and it will be pual pierce's team now..... naging kay antoine nga ba celtics nang dumating na si pierce??? :bonkself:

:hiphop:
  • DI10DI10 Member ✭✭✭
    boston got the better end of the deal, to say the least.
  • StJamesStJames pong! PExer
    As if the Mavs haven't got enough firepower. Then again, they wanted to part with Lafrentz anyway so grabbing Antoine Walker for him aint that bad. Plus Tony Delk is a decent guard, perhaps better than Jiri Welsch at the moment. I agree though that this move is solely for future trade scenarios. Yeah Dallas didn't really improve defensively but with such potent firepower, other teams will in turn, have to figure how to defend against them.
  • The Mavs needs big men and they let go of one curious about that probably more of a trade bait to get a better big man than Lafrentz... wait and see
  • neth_rowneth_row Moderator ✭✭
    Seems like the Mavericks are really, really making true on their philosophy, "If you can't prevent them from scoring, just score more than them" :glee:
  • gakutokamuigakutokamui biased gooner PExer
    stupid move from my fave team. of all the people they had to get for lafrentz it just had to be walker :rolleyes:
  • StJamesStJames pong! PExer
    not that dallas didn't try getting the right people. unfortunately, zo, jermaine o'neal, brand, brad miller & mutombo chose to play elsewhere. toine was available so they grabbed him.

now if only they can figure how to ship toine & 'tawn for shaq :glee:
  • spongklongspongklong chuBBy PExer
    Originally posted by kixter
    ito talagang si Cuban, basta me trade, trade agad.... e puro 3 pointers mga players nila nyan.... swerte celtics, me centro na cla nyan and it will be pual pierce's team now..... naging kay antoine nga ba celtics nang dumating na si pierce??? :bonkself:

:hiphop:

hehehe! :) mahilig siguro maglaro si cuban ng nba live franchise mode! :) hahahaha trade lang ng trade basta all-star ang makuha! :D
  • spongklongspongklong chuBBy PExer
    d ba they made it a point at the start of the off season that they wanted to beef up their front line? they learned their lesson when dirk got injured during the playoffs. i think having fortson, walker and antawn will still be a big advantage for them.. i have a gut feeling too that shawn bradley will be traded..
  • thehitmanthehitman The best there is ✭✭
    Reminds me of RPG archers/snipers. Lots of firepower, little defense. Oh well.

:cool:
  • nastransnastrans pinoybasebol.wordpress.co m PExer
    Problema nanaman dyan e kung papano mapapasok sa opensa tong si Walker o kaya yung mga ibang players nila. Although it is a good acquisition, nadodoubt ako kay Walker, baka yung ego nito e kumana at magdemand ng trade. Pero agree din ako na baka trade bait lang siya.

Para kay LaFrentz, fresh start ito sa Boston. Nung matrade siya sa Dallas malaki ang expectation sa kanya sa Center spot at hindi siya nagdeliver.
  • burn_stampedeburn_stampede [Gryffindor S?eker] PExer
    ang dami na nila masyadong forwards..sayang lang yun trade boston lang makikinabang

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus"
    :bookworm2:
  • DI10DI10 Member ✭✭✭
    pag sobrang yaman siguro eh nasisiraan na rin ng bait.
  • dedandzdedandz agent 42 code 17-7 PExer
    if they play well together baka finals na abutin ng dallas..
    walker is a good addition wag lang kumana yung ego nito and besides mukhang masaya naman siya na napunta siya sa mavs..

jamison will be the sixth man so ok na rin..

"the big three and antoine squared"-don nelson
  • Originally posted by DI10
    pag sobrang yaman siguro eh nasisiraan na rin ng bait.

ok to!! :nuts:

ok sana yun trade kung ang nakuha nila mas pam-bardagul kay lafrentz! kailangan nila yun tipong parang Rudy Distrito yun laro pero hindi mahilig umiskor!!
    they definitely got a good player in Walker, but i personally think they could have opted for a better player than Walker.. owel. tingnan na lang natin ang kalalabasan ng trade na to. :?:
  • hanskyuthanskyut kyut na pexer PExer
    jiri welsch could be the x-factor of this trade

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file