pagbabangko | Fraud and Safety Issues; Online Usage & Card Security Code

MERGED WITH
CC | Online Usage
CC | Dapat Ba Talagang Tanggalin Ang CVVs Ng Credit Cards?

BSP Consumer Assistance

Direct Line: 708-7087
Facsimile: 708-7088
Email Address: [email protected]

BDO Fraud Management Unit
(+632) 7026888

BDO Card Delivery Concerns
(+632) 6881222 from 8:30am to 7:00pm

BPI Fraud

(+632) 5803614

CREDIT CARD SAFETY TIPS PARA IWAS-FRAUD.

>Angelica Panganiban, na-fraud ng PHP500,000.

>Mukhang BDO ang credit card na ginamit, sang-ayon sa mga SMS notifications.

Ingat, ingat sa paggamit ng credit card.

(Note: This post was originally posted by another PEXer).

+++++++

Got the following e-mail today:

>
Original Message
> Subject: FW: Beware of Credit Card Duplication
>
>
> >
> >
> > FYI
> >
> >
> > This was sent to me. Read on. Very important.
> >
> > Pls be extra careful when using your credit cards. I was a victim of
> > this syndicate.
> > A substantial amount was charged to my Visa card within 2 hours of use.
> > All purchases were made in SM Makati.
> > Citibank is investigating the case.
> > Regards,
> > Nanette A. Roldan
> > Sales Operations Manager Tel. No. 632-995-2298
> > IBM Philippines Email : [email protected]
> >
> > Jaime Abellano
> > 08/30/2001 07: 14 PM
> > To: Monina Roldan/Philippines/[email protected]
> > cc: Anna Roqueza/Philippines/[email protected]
> > From: Jaime Abellano/Philippines/[email protected]
> > Subject: *IBM Confidential: Re: Credit Card Duplication
> >
> > Hi Nanette,
> > You most probably have been a victim of the "Scheming" syndicate. Our
> > credit cards and ATM cards are very vulnerable, the magnetic stripe is
no
> > longer secure. There are two ways how this syndicate gets our credit
> > card information. One is with the use of a hi-tech electronic gadget the
> > size of a pager where they swipe the victim's card to capture all the
> > information in it.
> > There are different modus-operandi, the most common of which is
> > soliciting the connivance of unscrupulous employees of business
> > establishments, e.g. hotels, restaurants, shops, supermart, etc. The
> > conniving employee is given the gadget which he keeps in his pocket or
> > somewhere in his work area. Whenever a customer pays his bill with a
> > credit card, the employee (i,e. waiter , salesclerk ), before he goes to
> > the cashier, he discreetly swipes the credit card in the gadget and all
> > information therein is captured. After swiping, the waiter/salesclerk
> > then goes on with the normal transaction of paying the bill with the
> > cashier and gives you back the card. Unknown to you, your credit card
is
> > on the process of being duplicated.
> > If the cashier is the one in connivance, her method is to swipe the card
> > twice, once in the card reader that is visible to you and another in the
> > gadget hidden below her counter or stashed somewhere away. Be wary of
> > the cashier when she leaves her station to swipe your card elsewhere ,
> > telling you that the card reader in her counter is not functioning.
> > The conniving employee is being paid by the syndicate between P500.00 to
> > P1000.00 per card swiped which is very tempting to an ordinary
> > salesclerk or waiter. The gadget is returned to the syndicate member
by
> > the waiter/salesclerk or cashier at the end of his duty and is paid
> > according to the number of cards recorded in the gadget.
> > After getting back the gadget, the syndicate member then goes back to
> > their hideout and downloads the captured information in the PC . They
> > then fabricate fake(duplicate) credit cards and encode the information
> > taken from the genuine card. The duplicate card will also have your
name
> > and number and all other information except for the signature which
> > definitely will be different. However, the sales clerks who processed
> > the transaction won't suspect anything since the card has been signed
by
> > the syndicate member using the card.
> > Another way of getting the information is with the use of a blank card
by
> > syndicate members who posed as technicians from the card company
> > allegedly to check a reported problem in the POS machine or PC .. They
> > then key in the PC or POS buttons to arrived at the sales for the day
and
> > swipe the blank card which captures all the information on the day's
> > transaction including information on all credit cards processed. They
> > then tell the unsuspecting cashier that nothing is wrong with the
machine
> > then leave. Upon arriving at their hideout, they download the
> > information from the card into the computer and fabricate duplicate
cards
> > as stated above.
> > The credit card companies are aware of this modus operandi. You can ask
> > them to show you the credit card invoice and you will see that the
> > signature therein is different from your actual signature. Hence, you
> > can contest the bill.
> > >From the above , can you remember when was the last time you used your
> > card under the above mentioned circumstances.The problem is we don't
know
> > who is in connivance and every salesclerk or cashier is therefore a
> > suspect. If that is the case then its better to pay in cash.
> >
> > Best regards.
> > James V. Abellano
> > Facilities and Protection Manager
> > Tel. No. 632+995-2525
> > Fax No. 632+995-8239
> > lotus id: [email protected]
> > email: [email protected]
> >
> > "Except God watches over the City, the Watchman watches in vain."
> >
> > Date : August 29, 2001
> > To: Jaime Abellano/Philippines/[email protected]
> > cc: Anna Roqueza/Philippines/[email protected]
> > From: Monina Roldan/Philippines/[email protected]
> > Subject: *IBM Confidential: Credit Card Duplication
> >
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I would like to report an incident that happened to me awhile ago.
> > Citibank Credit Card Center gave me a call asking if I used my Visa card
> > in SM Makati yesterday afternoon around 4:00 until about 6:00 PM. I
> > told them I did not as I was in the office and I left at around 6:00 PM
> > going to Makati. I arrived Makati at around 7:00 PM and had dinner in
> > Suko Thai in Glorietta (accross Kimpura) a little after 7:00 PM. When
I
> > asked why?, they informed me that my card was used in SM dept. store
and
> > grocery and the purchase amounts were quite huge. I know my card was
> > not missing since I have just used it to pay our dinner in Suko Thai
last
> > night. Since they want me to fax a copy of my card, I refused to do so
> > thus I volunteered to just visit their office to present my credit card,
> > anyway their office is just beside us.
> > I spoke with an officer from the Fraud Control Center and they would
want
> > me to help them track my latest transactions and if there was an
instance
> > where it took quite long for them to process or get an approval. I will
> > have to review my current purchases later. It maybe a mere coincidence
> > but the "user" of my card stopped signing when I was in Makati already
> > and about to go to dinner. This is not my usual route and I seldom go
> > to Makati since we moved here in Libis. The only time I go there is if
I
> > can find a ride on Wednesdays since it's our car ban day otherwise my
> > husband picks me up here in Libis.
> > I would want to warn my fellow IBMers to be extra cautious when they
give
> > their credit cards for approvals to various establishments. Citibank
is
> > still investigating how it happened, I have been informed this is not
> > their usual case.
> > Thanks.
> > Regards,
> > Nanette A. Roldan
> > Sales Operations Manager Tel. No. 632-995-2298
> > IBM Philippines Email : [email protected]

Comments

• KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    edited September 11

Similar things have happened to my associates. Fortunately, the "fraud division" of the credit card company was quite competent and professional. They immediately recognized that the burst of spending was "abnormal" and concluded that the card was fraudulently used. My associates were not held liable for the charges.
  • LeighLeigh Member PExer
    I actually read a couple of emails from the different mailing lists and the thing is some people actually suggested that if ever you feel that the waiter or the sales person "takes a long time" to fix your bills, follow-up asap or follow the person.

It only takes a couple of minutes to copy all the information from your credit card, just one swipe and you'll lose money.

This is an email i received recently, this is not fake, i just didn't put the name of the person who forwarded me the email.

You wouldn't really suspect that something is happening to your card until it already happens. What happened to me was that when I tried using my Citibank Credit Card last Wednesday (Sept 5), the restaurant where I ate told me that they couldn't get an approval for my bill. When I tried using it again last Friday(Sept
    7) in another restaurant, same thing. I became curious at why my bills would not get approval for 2 consecutive times, so I tried using my card again at Rustan's (where I would be able to see in their Omron whatever error message would be returned). The sales lady told me that they couldn't get an approval and showed me a "Call Card Center" message in their Omron.

I then called Citibank the moment I got home, and I was informed that they decided to block my credit card due to an "unusually heavy usage" last Monday (Sept 3). Citibank told me that there was a barrage of 4-figure purchases traced to my card on that date which totalled to more than P100,000, with all purchases having been done at SM Megamall. The unusual volume of bills made them suspicious so Citibank decided to block my card.

I informed Citibank that I never used my Card on Sept. 3 and that it has been ages since I last went to SM Megamall. Moreover, my card has not been lost (My wife and I still had our Citibank cards in our possesions). It was then that Citibank informed me about this "scheming" syndicate, where the magnetic strip of my card might have been copied while I was not looking. This is common daw in restaurants where you give your credit card to the waiter, who then brings your card somewhere for processing of your bills.

During this time where you can't see what is happening to your card, it is possible daw that your card could be schemed. Citibank was good and customer-friendly enough to inform me that they will reverse all the billings that were made to my card on September 3. I'm still apprehensive though, as I still haven't seen my bills and still couldn't be sure that the bills have indeed been reversed. Moreover, I am saddened as I have always taken pride in the fact that I always pay all of my bills on time; because of this syndicate, I find myself becoming a "problem account" of Citibank now.

For now, Citibank asked me to surrender my old card back to them. It is sometimes possible daw to see telltale signs that the magnetic strip has been copied or tampered with. Also, I guess the signatures on the purchases that were made at SM Megamall will not really match mine. Anyway, Citibank advised that the most prudent way to use your credit card is to always see and keep track of your card when paying. Don't just leave your card to your waiter. If possible, follow your waiter and make sure that
    your card is being swiped properly. Also, be suspicious daw of instances where it takes long for the restaurant to return your card.

I remember eating in a Chinese restaurant in Rockwell on Saturday (Sept. 1)--- 2 days before the unusual volume of card usage was spotted. It was my first time to try that restaurant, and it was unusually long for my card to be returned. By hindsight, the waiter also seemed unusually apologetic about the length of time the processing of my bills was taking place. I guess the best protection is just make sure you see always what is happening to your card. I ate at Crocodile Grill this Sunday (September16); pakapalan na ng mukha, I really followed the waiter and physically watched my card.

I really want to tell you guys that Citibank was very professional and customer-oriented in dealing with this. They actually called up my house twice to inform me about the credit block, but I did not return their call. Akala ko kasi magbebenta na naman ng Ready Credit or what not. Anyway, I feel that they did their part well. I am now hoping that they really reversed the September 3 billings.
  • Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I just received a call from Citibank's Fraud control unit. They told me that my credit card is in danger of fraud. It seems that some unscrupulous people have managed to get my credit card number and it's in the process of being cloned. Most likely it happened in the establishments I used it in. They had to cancel the card and issue me a new one which will arrive 7-10 days from now.

The weird part is, I don't use my credit card that often. My last transaction was March 23.

Anyway, I wonder how does one clone a credit card? I mean if all you know is the credit card number, then why aren't there better measures against cloning. And how did the Fraud control find out about this? All they told me was "they have ways" of finding out such Fraud.

See, this really paranoids me right now. I mean I am going on peacefully with my life paying my credit bills on time and now this? It's good that Citibank has called me immediately about this matter. I would hate it if I had to use it in some establishment and find out that the card has been cancelled.

Has this ever happened to you?
    It happened to my partner. We were in Batangas when he checked back with the office and found that Citibank called. It seems his credit card number was used that morning to purchase about P20,000 worth of "telecom equipment" at some store in Megamall.

All this time the credit card in question was in my partner's wallet. In Batangas.

The charges were reversed and my partner's card was cancelled and replaced. We have still not found out the details of the fraud, because Citibank is still investigating. But these things happen and, according to Citibank, quite frequently.

tinkerbell.gif
  • coRinthiancoRinthian Criminally Insane PExer
    Hide your Credit Card receipts- anyone who has access to your credit card number can always order anything online :)
  • kireigonjinkireigonjin ano yan? ano yan? ano yan? PExer
    My officemate told me about this.

Everyday, he would call up his credit card company to check on his outstanding balance. Why everyday, I did not ask. As it turns out, it's a good thing he does. Because just this morning, he found out that somebody has been using his credit card without his knowledge -- to the point of using up his credit limit! After verifying his personal information, the credit card company said that there is indeed a syndicate today that operates this way.

What they do is they make their own credit cards and swipe it. Once they have done that, somehow they are able to record all the information from the last card that was swiped from that "swiping machine" (I don't know what it's called). I am not that knowledgeable about this kind of technical thingie, but the truth is they can steal from you using your credit card even if you have your credit card in your wallet.

So beware. Ako kinakabahan na rin kasi I have 4 credit cards that are all active. How do we prevent this from happening? I guess I shoud check my balance everyday na rin. Nakaka-praning lalo na kung malaki pa ang natitira sa credit limit mo.
  • bronze_freakbronze_freak Professional Dimwit PExer
    na-reverse pa ba ung mga charges na ndi naman nya ginamit?
    One way to prevent this from happening is to not get any credit cards. It's kind of like saying if you don't want to die in a car accident, don't ride a car. Quite effective, but also a little backward.

We must all learn to live with a manageable amount of risk in our lives.

Credit card fraud happens. What we must do is learn how to respond to fraud when it happens. Credit card companies know how to investigate and detect fraud and for the most part have the good sense to assume the losses when fraud affects their customers.

Know where to report fraud and if it happens to you, report it at once. Fraudulent charges made against your account are not your liability, as long as you report them properly and on time.
  • mark_markmark_mark MAXICARE APPLYT 09178046275 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If you are really one of those....

Get a Salary Loan instead. mga 30K for example. or 40K

Put in the bank.

Everytime you wanna buy something, you withdraw money from there and pay for it in cash.

Yung nabawas, iyon iyong gawing mong parang monthly contribution.

Ang dating para ka na ring nag credit card di ba? There is a 30K-40K waiting to be used up pero at least, walang risk na may gagamit nito maliban sa u.

As with the interest, I don't know if it's cheaper.
  • bzbeebzbee madame bee PExer
    na re-reverse naman ang mga purchases pag hindi sa iyo. One of my credit card was used to buy pizza every other day for 2 weeks. Imagine around 60 bucks kada charges. Siguro, nag order thru delivery kasi tinatawag lang naman sa phone. Citicard did not charge me anything.
    Na-reverse naman kaagad kasi nga my officemate found out about it when he called on that same day. In fact, his card was still being fraudulently used as he and the card company officer speak over the phone!

Using credit cards is different from getting loans. With credit cards, you can get items you want on the spot. Whereas if you apply for a loan, maghihintay ka pa ng approval. Kumbaga, yung credit cards pang-whimsical purchases. Yung loan, para sa mga pinaplanong investment like house and lot, kotse, business, etc. Depende sa lifestyle needs mo yan e.

Tama si Kuya Danny, you take risks with technology. I was looking for specific measures, though. Like what my other officemate said: pag meron daw nag-offer (especially over the phone) ng kung ano-ano like a membership card, and asks for the last 3 digits at the back of my card, wag ko daw ibibigay.
    Vigilance is a good measure, not just for credit card transactions but for everything else we do. Whenever you get your credit card bill, I hope you check all the items first. Some people I know look only at the total and instantly write out the check. What is even worse in my book is the auto-debit arrangement offered by some banks. Great for convenience but lousy for control.

In the example given by your officemate, his advice is sound. I would distrust anyone who asks for credit card data over the phone. If he wants to sell to me, let him show his face first.
  • ChadChad Lord of the Morning. PExer
    My sister doesn't sign her credit card with her signature. Instead, she puts the words "ask for ID." Consequently, everytime she uses her card, the vendor asks for her to produce an ID. Works wonders for her. :D

Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of internet transactions or phone transactions. But it chops the problem of physically losing your card and worrying about it.

That is, IF the vendor DOES ask for ID. :lol: Oh well.
  • annieliseannielise sui generis PExer
    Chad: Hmmmm, I think that works in the US (or some place else), but when we were in the Philippines, my husband had this major argument with a saleslady from SM. When the airhead girl saw that my hubby's card had the words "Check I.D.", she INSISTED that my husband SIGN the card. My hubby went, "I'm not gonna sign that card, anyone can just forge my signature". Then she said, "Well sir you hab to tok to our manadyer, pls go to her opis". MY hubby said, "Let her come here, I'm the customer right? Why do I need to go to her office?". Eventually we got so pissed off we just left the items on the counter (which was worth a lot), so at least we thought we got back at her because she had to undo everything at the machine.

The practice of putting "Check I.D" on the space for the signature causes confusion for most ignorant salespersons in Manila, probably because it's not a prevalent practice. Here, we do it all the time. Even though we have a picture and our signature printed in front of our credit card, we still put the magic words "Check I.D." It will save us valuable money in the long run.

Although as one of the posters has said, they can still steal from your card even if it is in your possession. But so far, everything is fine and dandy, we even use our card online, but only for secure and reputable websites like amazon.com.
  • butchoiybutchoiy Member PExer
    my brother and i went to the mall. i bought a pair of shoes. while paying to the cashier, i realized that my cash on hand was not enough to avail the product since my brother has a credit card, he payed my bill.

upon paying, the cashier lady asked for my brother's ID. and so, he showed his school id, (pardon me for my words and pls i just want to gush about this thing) guess what! the cashier lady told us to talk to their manager because they are not allowing school ID. Dam n! what was that!? i think she's stupid enough to think that School ID are unacceptable or she just thought that my brother was never a credit card owner at all? What kind of ID she want?

so far.... the bill is just right and safe..

Um... sorry but what kind of ID's are allowed?

thanks.
    People/establishments who ask for identification should be given some leeway in determining what kinds of IDs are acceptable to them. The cashier is probably refusing your brother's school ID because she was instructed by her boss. Those instructions are not necessarily arbitrary: the cashier has no convenient way of knowing how genuine or valid the ID is.

For example, if somebody presented me with a student ID issued by the Southwestern University in the Visayas, I wouldn't have a clue. Does that make the ID fake? Not always. Could I check and find out if it was? Probably. How long and how much money would that take? Use your imagination.

But I do know what a driver's license looks like. Or a Philippine passport. Or an SSS ID. Or a PRC registration card. And I bet there are a lot more people who hold these cards than SWU student IDs.

For an ID to work well, it must be easily recognizable and respected by a lot of people. It may be genuine, but other people also have to accept it for it to make sense.
  • fatgrrl_slimfatgrrl_slim AgentP PExer
    Question about IDs: is it really a requirement now that customers should present an ID when paying by credit card, or is it a prerogative of the sales people to ask for an ID?

Kasi we had this really bad experience at ULB International in SM North EDSA. My sister is going to buy a cellphone and pay thru credit card, so the sales clerk asked for an ID. There's this rich-looking old lady beside her who's also buying a cellphone using a card, but she was not asked for an ID. The lady asked the sales clerk, "bakit siya hiningan mo ng ID, ako hindi?" (that was really nice of her to ask). The sales clerk answered, "depende po sa itsura ng bumibili", which insinuates that my sister is too poor- or suspicious-looking to own a credit card. :rolleyes: Nainis kami sa sagot nya so we just decided not to buy the friggin' cellphone and walked out of the store. There goes the sales clerk's commission...
    IDs are not required, but the merchant may ask customers to present them.

I have sometimes been asked for identification when making a credit card purchase. I feel better when merchants actually do this. To me it means they at least try to be alert.

As for the ULB sales clerk's answer - that was tactless. She should have said something like we choose customers at random and ask for IDs as a fraud deterrent. That would have sounded better.
    I have never been asked for any ID in the entire 5 years that I have been a cardholder. But yes, I'd appreciate it if the establishments I go to would ask for my ID.

I think it is good for some card companies to allow the use of photos on their credit cards (e.g. Citibank and SCB). Kaya lang some also allow cardholders to put any photo or image as the card member wishes. Heck, you can even put your dog's picture on your card if you want. Cute, but useless.
    A similar thread recently started by kireigonjin has been merged into this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file