Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks
Join our PEx Olympics Quiz Night and win GCash prizes! 🏅

Where to buy those hard-to-find ingredients (or possible substitutes)

One of the frustrations of using a foreign cookbook or cooking international cuisine is the difficulty in finding the specified ingredients. I have a Chinese cookbook which I've never used because the recipe's call for never-heard of ingredients. Maybe you know where to buy them or what I can substitute for them. For starters:

1. Where can I buy dry sherry?
2. Is five-spice powder (blend of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel and brown peppercorns) sold locally?

Comments

• Lionel_EssrogLionel_Essrog PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    yeah i have the same problem too!

When i was still living in Pampanga i usually bought the exact ingriedients from the DutyFree shops. One of the shops even had an aisle ful of Indian and Chinese spices (nakakaloka!) now i ask my cousins abroad to send me Dry sherry and varieties of cheese.

you can try Santi's, Chocolate Lover castle (for baking ingriedients), supermarkets like Rustan's and shopwise...

more leads anyone? baka may Spice store kayong alam? particularly yung Indian spices para sa mga vegetarians :D
  • you can substitute dry sherry with white wine for cooking. the only thing youll lose is the nutty flavor.
  • Originally posted by Lionel_Essrog
    more leads anyone? baka may Spice store kayong alam? particularly yung Indian spices para sa mga vegetarians :D
    You can try Assad's grocery along UN Avenue near the temple.
  • Hi guys,

Where can I buy a whole vanilla bean?
  • santi's
  • you can find sherry sa international section ng supermarkets.. or subsitute with cooking liquor or white wine nga..

5 spice powder is available din sa supermarkets.. just look in the spice section.. it's also called ngo hiong..
  • What about packed Basil leaves? Where can I get them? wala sa SM Groceries eh. I want to make a Pesto Sauce kase...those being sold in the palengke are different.
  • Hi Bea,

Fresh Basil leaves are usually available at Cash and Carry, Unimart, supermarkets - basta all the supermarkets in that chain.

Santi's, at least at Yakal, also has this all the time.
  • mirun din sa S&R
  • Where's Chocolate lover castle located?
  • it's along p. tuazon. if you're coming from edsa, after sya nang LTO. ;)
  • i bought my 5-spice powder from rustan's. you can also check santi's :)
  • Thanks a bunch guys! I can finally cook those Chinese dishes I've been dying to try. You can be sure I'll be back in this thread in the near future! :D
  • Originally posted by kc0le
    santi's

Hi kcOLe!

I found the Vanilla beans at Santi's.

The sales girl even corrected me na sticks daw iyon, hehehe.

It's P270 for two small pods, inside a testtube - bango!

Thanks again.
  • Originally posted by Anck-Su-Namun
    One of the frustrations of using a foreign cookbook or cooking international cuisine is the difficulty in finding the specified ingredients. I have a Chinese cookbook which I've never used because the recipe's call for never-heard of ingredients. Maybe you know where to buy them or what I can substitute for them. For starters:

1. Where can I buy dry sherry?
    2. Is five-spice powder (blend of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel and brown peppercorns) sold locally?

i recommend this gourmet store called Terry Selection

You'll find it in Karrivin Plaza, along Pasong Tamo extension. You'll see Starbucks and Sugarnuts infront of the building, take the driveway on the side to get you into the "compound".

Terry Selection sells truffle oil, balsamic vinegar, wide array of cheeses, breads like focaccia and has a good selection of wines. That's just a few, they have more stuff from all over the world.
  • vanilla stick? bwahaha! :D bango niya noh? favorite ko yan e. :)
  • hi guys! can u tll me where exactly santi's is located? thanks!
  • Originally posted by [email protected]
    hi guys! can u tll me where exactly santi's is located? thanks!
    Theres one in Timog Ave, QC, near the rotonda. Its right next to Zucchini's. Theres another one along Annapolis in Greenhills. One more along Yakal St in Makati and in Forbes I think.
  • hi :wave: im seriously in need of crisco's butter flavored shortening for my chocolate chip cookies ... anyone knows where i can get this stuff? kahit ndi crisco .. basta butter flavored shortening sha ...

*paw*