Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Join our PEx Olympics Quiz Night and win GCash prizes! 🏅

Balikbayans...hate them...love them...one of them?

Just wondering...what do you think of when you hear someone is called a Balikbayan? Do you think they are rich? Do you think they have a better life or worse? What stereotypes of balikbayans are there?Do you have family out of the country?

I wanna know what filipinoes think about balikbayans...:walkman2:

Comments

• heymikeyheymikey PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by copperportfolio
    Just wondering...what do you think of when you hear someone is called a Balikbayan?
    A "balikbayan" for me is someone who has immigrated to another country and lived there for several years and decided to visit the Philippines permanently or temporarily.
    Do you think they are rich? Do you think they have a better life or worse?
    Well, it depends. There are balikbayans who have good established careers in their new adopted home, whether it's in the US, Canada, Australia, etc. While others are still struggling.
    What stereotypes of balikbayans are there?
    Well, some filipinos think that balikbayans are rich. Based on Philippine standards, they're probably considered rich; but based on American standands, most probably aren't.
    Do you have family out of the country?
    Yeah, I am one of them. It's weird. I probably have more relatives living in Australia, UK, US, Canada, Continental Europe than in the Philippines.
  • Well you have very nice statements....As you are, I am too...out of the country. However people have a preconcieved notion that my family is rich, because we live outside the country. We work as hard as anyone else does...

Yes our standard of living might be significantly "better"....but believe me most of the filipinoes I know can't wait to go back to the Philippines...

I have heard People say that "balikbayans" who do come back to Philippines for vacation, think they are better then the rest. I had a friend who came to the US for a while...he earned some money. He ended up spending most of his money on clothes, shoes, sunglasses,etc... He just wanted to show off his "new found riches"...

I guess its up to the person...
  • JohnstonJohnston PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    balikbayans for me are heroes themselves. syempre they've stayed out of the country just for their families sake.

i am a tourism student.. together with my classmates we've encountered some people/responses who really hate balikbayans. na kesyo "nakatuntong ka lang ng amerika eh.. di ka na marunong magtagalog." na hindi daw marunong mag po at opo.. iba ugali ek ek..

as for me, i can't blame those balikbayans. because the culture in the states and other countries are entirely different from ours. adaptation is one factor.

so i really adore them!

wish i could be one of those "balikbayans" out there someday..

:)
  • since i agree with what heymikey said, no point in answering your questions and repeating what was already said.

although i have yet to encounter this kind of balikbayan, one that would totally annoy me would be someone who would compare how life is abroad and here. let's face it, life abroad is comparably better but heck, no need to keep on repeating over and over again how bad the traffic is, how our roads are full of potholes, how our goverment is so corrupt, yadda yadda yadda. we already *know* that. no need to rub it in.

another trait that would irk me would be for a balikbayan to speak in english constantly and suddenly develop filipino language amnesia. let's face it, some pinoy balikbayan's are like this. they think that just because they know how to speak in english they're so much better than you are. my relatives in the US have lived there for over 3 decades and still speak filipino and kapampangan fluently. i don't see how a balikbayan who has only been in the US for a year can suddenly forget his mother tongue.

lastly, balikbayan's who'd flaunt their material wealth, like those who'd cover themselves from head to foot with designer items. puhleease.
  • Originally posted by iara
    since i agree with what heymikey said, no point in answering your questions and repeating what was already said.

although i have yet to encounter this kind of balikbayan, one that would totally annoy me would be someone who would compare how life is abroad and here. let's face it, life abroad is comparably better but heck, no need to keep on repeating over and over again how bad the traffic is, how our roads are full of potholes, how our goverment is so corrupt, yadda yadda yadda. we already *know* that. no need to rub it in.

another trait that would irk me would be for a balikbayan to speak in english constantly and suddenly develop filipino language amnesia. let's face it, some pinoy balikbayan's are like this. they think that just because they know how to speak in english they're so much better than you are. my relatives in the US have lived there for over 3 decades and still speak filipino and kapampangan fluently. i don't see how a balikbayan who has only been in the US for a year can suddenly forget his mother tongue.

lastly, balikbayan's who'd flaunt their material wealth, like those who'd cover themselves from head to foot with designer items. puhleease.

Very well said!! I even agree with you...:D

Yes my parents are Ilocano, and they speak it in front of me all the time. Thankfully I totally understand!!! That goes for tagalog also...we have The Filipino Channel and I can understand everything...Im so proud that even though I don't know how to speak it, I can understand. I try to speak it, but with the accent...forget it...
  • i am one and i'd have to agree with some posts here.
    Originally posted by iara
    a balikbayan to speak in english constantly and suddenly develop filipino language amnesia. let's face it, some pinoy balikbayan's are like this. they think that just because they know how to speak in english they're so much better than you are.... i don't see how a balikbayan who has only been in the US for a year can suddenly forget his mother tongue.
    tell me about it. the thing is, those balikbayans who have not stayed too long outside of pinas are usually like this. reminds me of my batchmate who went here for 3 months, and i've heard that she suddenly forgot how to speak in tagalog.

isa pa tong reason. for some people kasi they intentionally show off their stuff, but they seem too desperate and pathetic. what's the big deal anyway, diba?
  • I am one and I have a few Balikbayan friends who still possess a strong connection to the Philippines. In my case, my family and I immigrated abroad when I was really young. We settled in a part of town, where there were hardly any pinoys in sight. Most of my peers were of a mixed brew, majority were caucasians and some were wogs (mediterranean and arabs), asians and hispanics, but no Filipino. I quickly grasped the Australian way of life, my perception towards different issues started to be seen from a more Australian perspective BUT I retained my identity as a Filipino and my parents were stern in keeping our Filipino values intact.
    Everytime I holiday back, there's this sense of familiarity that shroud me. The connection to the motherland is strong and the desire to discover more about my roots, my heritage and the many wonderful sceneries, seascapes and festivals intensify as I see vivid images and hear wonderful stories from like minded people. The once every 3 year journey back home became a yearly exodus, my tolerance to the dizzying traffic and congestion of the big smoke grew and suddenly I became one of those rare Balikbayans who quickly learnt the art of commuting in jeepneys and "Ordinary" buses... :glee:
  • Waaaaaaa!!! padala niyo naman ako ng plane tiket kasi wala pa akong pera pang uwi kasama nung balikbayan box na pinupuno wahhhhhhhh huhuhuhuhu..yung PAL ang padala niyo ha para direct flight bwahahahha! =0P
  • Balikbayans who forget the language in three months or just after a year of staying out of the country..... my gosh! it's not even possible (I think it's been said more than twice already). That's my biggest pet peeve. Of course if the said balikbayan immigrated when he/she was young, like three years of age or the likes,then that's alright. I left the Philippines years and years ago and when i met a friend of a very close friend she asked me, "ilang taon ka na sa states," i told her close to 10 years (i left while i was still in highschool) gulat sya marunong pa raw ako mag tagalog.

anyways, i'm generalizing. i think it's just the stereotypes and/or prejudices that people have. yup, yeah, just a small and quick reply to the thread.
  • lastly, balikbayan's who'd flaunt their material wealth, like those who'd cover themselves from head to foot with designer items. puhleease.

walking billboards tawag dyan. :bounce2:
  • LudeSER13LudeSER13 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Originally posted by bluemoon13
    walking billboards tawag dyan. :bounce2:

most flips who are living in another country for years and years and see them would probably call them FOBS. these people are too excited to have the real(sometimes fake) thing that they buy these brand name clothes to show off to fellow flips in p.i. get this, they don't just settle for a small print of the brand, they gotta have the big ***** writing of nautica, polo, guess, etc. funny... i don't have a problem with them, just leave me the F alone.
    i was a balikbayan once and the only thing i hated was dragging those damn boxes!
  • lightoflife2.gif
    :imu: I don't have any problems with "Balikbayans".but what I can't stand is their "kamag-anak" na tutuluyan or uuwian, minsan sila pa ang "mas" kesa sa dumating.I luv the Balikbayan,kung kilala ako at kung may pasalubong :wink:, pero kung gagawin lang ako taga-buhat ng maleta at gagawin personal alalay, wag na lang, lalo na yung mga tinatawag nilang "walking billboards" :glee:
  • One day I will be a balikbayan permanently but nothing will ever change my love and respect for Philippines and my people..I promise!

:)
  • Neither hate them nor love them, but one thing's sure -- I can see them coming a mile away! :D
  • Originally posted by JdelaCruz
    Neither hate them nor love them, but one thing's sure -- I can see them coming a mile away! :D

so true! :glee:
  • Ayoko sa mga balikbayan na puro "hangin" ang dala pag-uwi! :D Kala mo kung sino, pag-balik sa States, mangungutang pa! :down:
  • Puro stereotyping dito...
  • Depende siguro sa balikbayan. I have lots of balikbayan friends na wala naman ipinagbago kumpara sa nung dito pa sila nakatira. Tsaka depende din siguro sa status nila sa buhay bago sila umalis ng Pilipinas. Mahirap mag-generalize kasi mas marami akong nakitang balikbayan na hanggang ngayon humble pa din.
  • Originally posted by Masquerade
    Depende siguro sa balikbayan. I have lots of balikbayan friends na wala naman ipinagbago kumpara sa nung dito pa sila nakatira. Tsaka depende din siguro sa status nila sa buhay bago sila umalis ng Pilipinas. Mahirap mag-generalize kasi mas marami akong nakitang balikbayan na hanggang ngayon humble pa din.

SO TRUE.
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Originally posted by iara

These are the funny ones. We gotta keep them around. You know, just for the entertainment. :glee: