Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Killer resumes and acing the job interviews | Q & A Tips (S1)

Comments

• :rolleyes: What is pending application in the first place? How would you answer if the interviewer ask if you have a pending applications with other companies?Is it an disadvantage for you if you have more than one pending applications?:cool:
  • I consider this a questionable interview practice (asking the interviewee if he/she has applied for jobs anywhere else). What justifiable concern is it to the prospective employer if the interviewee is simply trying to cover his or her own bases in a limited job market?
  • A pending application is an application you sent to another company, be it just sending your resume, or even going through several interviews.

It's perfectly ok to have other pending applications. The interviewer may ask this for a variety of reasons. He or she may want to know how much time he or she may have in order to decide if he'll hire you. Also, he may want to know what drive you have in trying to look for a job. that drive could later be translated into the drive you may give in that current job.

the interviewer may have other reasons, but most of the time, those 2 are the most common.

good luck
  • or it could also be the interviewer is just checking out your consistency in the type of industry you are most interested in...

this is true for sales position, for example:

interviewer from i.e. colgate: do you have pending applications with other companies?

applicant: yes mam, have applied at glaxo, eli-lily, mead-johnson and wyeth.

interviewer: i thought you said you want to work for a fast moving consumer products like ours, how come you're applying for pharma companies?

...dito pa lang di ka na consistent...a good answer for this is:

applicant: yes mam, have applied at nestle, p&g, uniliver, etc...:D

...it's a simple question, but to some interviewer it's a trick question...
  • hmm i really don't know if pending applications are disadvantages. I was often asked that question in my interviews and particularly with the ones i received offers from. Recruiters and job hunters are equally competitive and they want to make sure they send their offers first before the others especially if it's against their competitors. The way i see it, time constraints and getting the best possible people for the job are the top reasons.
  • what this question is really asking is, "are you serious in your job application with us?"

the best answer for this is, " Yes I do; however, this firm is my first choice because I feel this company is the best fit for me(elaborate on why you are a great fit.)

this tells the company that you prefer them among the other firms you are applying to, and is serious in your job application.
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    Be honest. Tell the interviewer the truth. Even if you have offers already, mention that too. I don't think it's a disadvantage if you have pending applications.

If the interviewer asks you this question, it may even be a positive thing, 'cause it could mean that you somehow impressed him/her. The usual reason for asking this question is that they want to know if they have competition - they have to decide on your application quickly.
  • Hi there people! I'm a Commerce graduating student and although I still have 1 semester to finish, I want to prepare myself on how to be impressive in finding jobs and on job interviews? With the present economic situation we have, definitely, the new graduates will have a hard time finding jobs since we have to compete with those who are still unemployed and those who have been laid off or retrenched. What are the usual questions asked on job interviews? On what points employers are likely to be most impressed at on a job applicant?
  • sentimentssentiments PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    common questions sa job interview:

1. why should we hire you? (para i-test confidence mo)
    2. what's your weakness? (you've got to think of a weakness na maste-stress pa rin yung strong points mo ex. i easily get bored kaya gusto ko laging may ginagawa)
    3. how would you rate yourself? (again, to test your confidence)
    4. what are your plans 5 years from now (usually, they ask this para tingnan kung magiging loyal ka ba sa future employer mo o ginagawa mo lang silang "stepping stone". ok lang kung gagawin mo lang silang "stepping stone" pero wag mo lang ipa-obvious ;))

what to wear:

1. always wear a skirt (if you're a girl ofcourse)...............pero not too tight or too short (not unless kung GRO ina-apply-an mo, pwede yun ;) )
    2. when wearing a perfume wag yung masyadong matapang yung amoy. because sometimes strong perfume makes a bad impression.
    3. wear an air of confidence (look smart, think smart)

others:

1. don't stammer...pause (but not too long) but don't stammer...
    2. sit straight and don't lean your back on your chair.
    3. don't forget to shake hands with your interviewer

i'll post more pag may naalala pa ako :-)
  • They love asking you for SAR type questions: situation, action, result. As in :" Give me a situation where..., what did you do and what was the result? Apparently at Accenture (formerly Andersen Consulting) they like to give those types of questions. It puts you in a position where you provide concrete examples and not not just say the things they want to hear. Also if you're lying it makes things a bit difficult because you start to unravel as the questioning goes on.

And if you think the job is in the can and they start asking you how much you want to be paid or how much you think you should be paid don't tell them how much you think you should be paid!!! Just tell them something along the lines of "as long as my salary is commensurate with my level of education and experience I am happy. I would really like more than anything you work for a prestigious company such as yours. That is reward enough". BUt don't make it sound too pasipsip.
  • Here are some good interview questions:

1. Why are manhole covers round?

2. Let's say you had a store selling widgets at the mall for P2,000 each. You noticed that another store in the mall has started selling the same widgets for P1,000 each. What do you do?

3. How many barbers are there in the Philippines?

4. It's 6:30 p.m. How many degrees apart are the short and long hands?

Etc.

Sounds stupid, right? But most interview questions result in pre-prepared answers. Questions like the ones above allow you see a candidate's thought process.
  • 1. what made you decide to work for this company?

2. what can you contribute to the company?

3. Where do you see yourself two, three or five years from now in this company?

sya, sya...:cool:
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i encountered too many interviewers like you when i was still in makati. that's one reason why i'm working in quiet quezon city right now and have things going pretty much the way i want them to.
  • to abcxyz:What can u say about the graduates of East Asia College of Information Technology (an eduactional partnership of IBM Phils,IWI and SM shoemart).I heard from a friend that this is a good IT school.May nainterview ka na bang galing sa school na to?Am looking for a good school for my brother.Ano ba maganda?You mentioned above that ur looking for a candidate that came from a good school.Don't mention La Salle n Ateneo di namin kakayanin ang budget dun.The tuition fee of east asia is 18,000 per sem.Tri-mestral din sila.Ano ba magandang school basta di dapat lumampas sa 20 thou per sem and reputable naman.Asia Pacific in Magallanes.Ok din ba dun? Pls. share ur opinions.Thanks

Nasa topic pa ba ako.Medyo related naman eh.Patulan nyo na pls.
  • For abcxyz:
    Would you go for the person with high grades and no extra curricular or the person with a lot of extra curiccular and low grades?

Do you have tips for writing a cover letter that grabs the attention of the HR person?
  • Originally posted by bachelor_zone
    to abcxyz:What can u say about the graduates of East Asia College of Information Technology (an eduactional partnership of IBM Phils,IWI and SM shoemart).I heard from a friend that this is a good IT school.May nainterview ka na bang galing sa school na to?Am looking for a good school for my brother.Ano ba maganda?You mentioned above that ur looking for a candidate that came from a good school.Don't mention La Salle n Ateneo di namin kakayanin ang budget dun.The tuition fee of east asia is 18,000 per sem.Tri-mestral din sila.Ano ba magandang school basta di dapat lumampas sa 20 thou per sem and reputable naman.Asia Pacific in Magallanes.Ok din ba dun? Pls. share ur opinions.Thanks

Nasa topic pa ba ako.Medyo related naman eh.Patulan nyo na pls.
    sorry - have not interviewed anyone from East Asia nor Asia Pacific. so no opinion there.

am also not from IT. i guess among IT practitioners, certain schools would have a reputation and they should know.

what i know works for IT graduates is it helps a lot to have SAMPLES of your work, an original work that you have done. having your own website also helps. the websit and sample of your work ought to showcase your skills and/or interest.
  • Originally posted by jobls_prsn
    For abcxyz:
    Would you go for the person with high grades and no extra curricular or the person with a lot of extra curiccular and low grades?

Do you have tips for writing a cover letter that grabs the attention of the HR person?
    i would consider both - person with high grades and no extra curricular; and person with lots of extra curricular but low grades.

high grades/no extra c to me means the person might have good intellectual abilities but might need to work on leadership or people skills. in the interview i will probe on leadesrhip and people skills.

low grades / lots extra c to me means the person might have good people/leaderships skills. in the interview i will probe on how responsible/irresponsible the person is. will also probe in intellectual skills and comunication skills.

i like cover letters that are :

* error free, absolutely no typo or grammar flaws
    * shows the person did some research about the company and mentions a skill or interest that is specifically applicable to the company
    * shows a lot of interest on the job
    * has spunk, is confident

go check out monster.com they have lots of tips there too.
  • What is the best possible reply you could make to an interview question like this "Tell me something about yourself?". Should I start introducing or giving details about myself or probably my strengths and weaknesses or what?

Just want to know if ever I was ask this kind of question? Thanks in advance...
  • 1. State your nick. ( You are informing the interviewer that you want to be called by that name)

2. Introduce your self, how may siblings do you have, your parents.

3. Your goal, why did you choose that course?

This is just warm up question during an interview.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file