Home PEx Campus The Academe
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE-Where to study?

I'd like to study environmental science. I've heard that only Ateneo is offering this course...so i checked the ateneo site.

Wasn't impressed with what they had there, though. Does anyone have info about their course? Its an undergrad course, but I heard there's going to be a master's degree.

Saan kaya okay mag-aral ng ganitong kurso? Kahit overseas....suggestions naman, oh! Puh-leeze!

:D

Comments

• mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    no offense, but i don't think a bachelor's degree in "ES" will qualify you as one. the whole thing's too inter-disciplinary. better to finish a good natural science course or even engineering and then study the various disciplines at the masteral and doctoral level. in short, you need to go to different schools that offer good courses in biology, zoology, geology, meteorology, marine bio, chemistry, engineering, etc.
  • whoa! y werent u impressed with admu's es course? i was! hehe:D

the only schools i know offering that course are ahem ahm) ateneo and ......... ateneo nga lang pala. sa mirriam they have environmental courses but not science. only engineering and management i think..

believe me, es is tough. and if ur not into chemistry then forget it . puro chem talaga. u also have to take higher math. required to take swimming as pe as well as orienteering. (sheesh)

if u want to know about schools offering es abroad, just search here. ul get loads of info.

oh yeah, did u know that es can be pre-med or pre-law??? hmmmm

y r u interested in es anyway?
  • hi! hmmm... for undergrad, ADMU is known for its En Sci course... what i can advise u is try calling or surfing UP website. Diliman is offering MS En Sci, and so does UPLB... and if u want me to recommend which En Sci School is the best, i guess it's School of Environmental Science And Management in UPLB... :)
    I think ES is not just chemistry in UP... it's applying the WHOLISTIC APPROACH! social, biological, physical,... and all the -als... what i mean is they are interdiscipilinary and transdisciplinary... good luck!
  • UPLB SIGURO...

:drive:
  • Originally posted by FiReStArTeR18
    UPLB SIGURO...

:drive:

basura dyan ano..
    go to ADMU.,
    Originally posted by frequency20

basura dyan ano..
    go to ADMU.,
    galing mo naman. nalaman mo 'yun.
  • I was a former ES student of Ateneo but I shifted out because I realized that I don't want to be an environmentalist. :D The Ateneo ES curriculum is really tough. You learn all sorts of sciences --- from Bio to Chem to Physics. Mahirap talaga sya. Anyway, if you really wanna be an environmentalist, then go to Ateneo.
    Originally posted by angst
    I was a former ES student of Ateneo but I shifted out because I realized that I don't want to be an environmentalist.
    not to mention the fact that ES has very little buck-gathering prospects than those other courses ADMU is famous for...

;)
  • Ha ha ha ha ha! MS Envi. Sci- UP Diliman here. Right now, im specializing in Environmental Biology and Quantitative Ecology. Swoosh…ANG HIRAP ‘cause it’s a multidisciplinary program involving all the institutions within the College of Science and very anthropocentric in nature. Admission is not that difficult compared to other graduate programs within the College of Science. It would be fair if you have a good background in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math preferably Calculus. The survival rate in this program is very low…. extremely low!!! Majority of the classes are held after office hrs and the students are usually of broad backgrounds and at the same time working. Subjects may be difficult depending on your undergrad background. In my case, Biology is my undergrad and I find it hard to study Geology (Geochem), Meteorology but I love Oceanography and Biology (These 4 subjects are the core courses to study the Atmosphere, Biosphere, Hydrosphere, and Lithosphere irrespectively). ****, I remember Environmental Economics…blah…blah…blah - BORING! Envi. Sci .in UPLB is more on environmental resource management while in UPD depende na sa estu kung ano ang gusto niyang e-specialize. Yeah, next semester Ateneo will offer MS Envi Sci and some of my classmates taking PhD will teach there.
    who's teaching you geochem?
  • Last semester it was Lito and currently Ando is teaching us marine geo... Did you come from NIGS? Hmmmm…. Everybody from that institution is a good instructor! They’ll explain everything explicitly in detail and can make the lessons so EASY; but during the written or oral exam, you better drop dead!!! I never thought that I would have a grade of 2 last sem ‘cause I was expecting 4. Nobody in the class was confident to pass that subject. It was really a pain in the ***. SSSSSOBRA!

PS,
    If you want abroad, try Germany ‘cause the origin of ES can be traced back in that country (well established yung ES doon). Last year I found out that Germany is the only country, which offers a DSc in ES (take note not PhD). Locally, if you are more likely inclined to management, UPLB is my say. However, if you cannot remove hard-core sciences in your system and if you want a limitless option for specialization, then Diliman is my call for either PhD or MS . Miriam is not that quite established yet ‘cause they usually hire part time prof from UP to teach and ang daming kulang sa curriculum nila eh (PEACE mga taga Miriam diyan…I mean no harm). Ateneo, can’t say anything ‘cause it’s new and ang labas mo diyan …Guinea pig (mga kapatid ko, sowy).
    Originally posted by el_aguila99
    Last semester it was Lito and currently Ando is teaching us marine geo... Did you come from NIGS? Hmmmm…. Everybody from that institution is a good instructor! They’ll explain everything explicitly in detail and can make the lessons so EASY; but during the written or oral exam, you better drop dead!!! I never thought that I would have a grade of 2 last sem ‘cause I was expecting 4. Nobody in the class was confident to pass that subject. It was really a pain in the ***. SSSSSOBRA!
    well, all the PhDs in the NIGs were trained either in the US or Europe. i know ando siringan but i'm not sure who lito is. the thing about geology is that it teaches you to be a good technical writer. it's a lot like being a lawyer:

turbidites is a term used to describe a sequence of marine sediments of onshore origin marked by an extensive stratal thickness and a generally monotonous alternating laminae of mud, sand, silt and conglomerates. its lateral extent is described by a distal fan whose "tail" originates from a river mouth or embayment whereupon the sediments are channeled along a submarine canyon. these transported sediments then spread out into a "fan" once the slope and channeling diminish, causing the deposits to lose motile energy.
  • Originally posted by mac_bolan00

well, all the PhDs in the NIGs were trained either in the US or Europe. i know ando siringan but i'm not sure who lito is. the thing about geology is that it teaches you to be a good technical writer. it's a lot like being a lawyer:

turbidites is a term used to describe a sequence of marine sediments of onshore origin marked by an extensive stratal thickness and a generally monotonous alternating laminae of mud, sand, silt and conglomerates. its lateral extent is described by a distal fan whose "tail" originates from a river mouth or embayment whereupon the sediments are channeled along a submarine canyon. these transported sediments then spread out into a "fan" once the slope and channeling diminish, causing the deposits to lose motile energy.

I think Lito is famous for being…hmmm…the most eligible bachelor in the NIGS ‘daw’. He is a little bit stout and quite a good cook, I might add. Everybody is wondering about his single blessedness… He is the famous thesis adviser of the study, which proves that Laguna Lake was part of Manila bay…it was thought before that Laguna Lake was just a Caldera. Nevertheless, thanks to this latest study; it advances some knowledge.

I think your statement about Geology is overrated. All of the Sciences in the Graduate School teach you to become a technical writer. It is not limited to Geology alone, never…ah…ahh!! The thing in Graduate School is that it trains you to conduct Scientific Research INDEPENDENTLY, communicate clearly through your research publication. In which case, you need to be so technical in writing your research paper. It’s more than being a lawyer ‘cause you can’t play some sophistry when dealing with Scientific-data-interpretation. The interpretation must always be universal and systematic. In my opinion, MSI is very good at this!!! Theirs the title as an institute that excels in research and that their research output is unparallel in number and quality by other institutions with in CS. Their senior staff (faculty) are with PhD or DSc from abroad and UPD at least. All of them are multi-awarded both internationally and locally in the field of research.

I am impressed with your descriptive coastal geology. BRAVO…WAHOO! In ES we study more about the dynamic processes rather than descriptive aspect of it. We look at changes and geological evolution of coast relative to climate change and anthropogenic factors. We deal more with the WHYs, HOWs,and WHAT IFs.
  • whoa! y werent u impressed with admu's es course? i was! hehe:D

the only schools i know offering that course are ahem ahm) ateneo and ......... ateneo nga lang pala. sa mirriam they have environmental courses but not science. only engineering and management i think..

believe me, es is tough. and if ur not into chemistry then forget it . puro chem talaga. u also have to take higher math. required to take swimming as pe as well as orienteering. (sheesh)

if u want to know about schools offering es abroad, just search here. ul get loads of info.

oh yeah, did u know that es can be pre-med or pre-law??? hmmmm

y r u interested in es anyway?
    Meron BS Environmental Science TUP-Manila, PWU, Cavsu Indang, Malayan University etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file