Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino

Kotse o Commute?

Okay I'm done with the angstie I hate parking routine. angel.gif Now I'd like to know how people get around, and if some kind souls can teach me the routes of the city.

How do you get to work? By car or by commute, and why?

For me, I would think that paying around P80 a day, P400 a week, and around P2,000 a month on parking is a little much. Plus there's gas expenses and driving through traffic to think about.

Now I'm beginning to see why people commute. Especially with the MRT, that's cool! :D

Comments

• KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Who deleted the parking thread?
  • zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Commuting from where (house) to where (office)?
  • no matter what u guys say about the advantages of commuting... i'd rather still be driving my car! a car is an extension of one's house... so kahit ma traffic and all i still feel fresh when i get to my destination ;)
  • NoisyCricketNoisyCricket PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    sorry, KD. I was the one who deleted the parking thread. On hindsight, it looked a little too angst-y. So I tried to replace it with something more informative.

zimdude: yup! home to office. today i didn't take the car.. no traffic blues and no driving blues! No "ahhh you stupid sh_t get outta my way!".. I think driving sometimes adds stress to our already stress-filled existences.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    For me, it's a combination of both.

I take a private car to work because I don't really like lugging around my bag and (sometimes) my computer. But during the day my car and driver are usually not available because he has to do the "school bus" service for my kids. So during the business day, I have to walk, hitch a ride, or commute if I need to travel outside the office.
    believe me, I know how cool a car can be, because I've been driving since high school. it's just now that things are different, traffic is getting bad, and we have to pay for parking (students don't have to pay for parking when they get to school -- at least I didn't), then i'm considering other alternatives. especially since the mrt is partially functional already. commuting is definitely a skill worth knowing. in this or any country (although admittedly commuting abroad is almost a breeze...)
  • yugayuga PExer
    mas mura pag nagcommute ka, wala pang bayad for parking - if ever may makita ka pa! :)
  • Originally posted by manoksapugad:
    FYI: The definition of the word "commute" as related to travel and transporataion is "to travel back and forth regularly, as between one's place of work and home." (dictionary.com) So if you travel back and forth regularly, whether in your own car or by any form of public transport, you are, in fact, commuting.

But since it seems that Filipinos use the term the same way (i.e., travelling by public transport), I guess it's acceptable as such. Now on to your posts...

from http://www.pinoyexchange.com/Forum7/HTML/000525.html
  • for me it has to be driving my own car! pag nasa bus kasi ako, ang daming bumabangga sa akin... nakatayo ako pag puno na... unahan sa mga upuan... pwede ka pa madukutan... forced ako makinig sa mga april boy songs na trip ng driver at konduktor! but when i'm driving my car, i have the aircon all to myself, ang lambot ng seats, i can switch stations whenever i want, pogi points pa sa chicks! hehehe! but Noisy Cricket is right though... traffic and parking suck!
    pucha, KD , may anak ka nga pala! that puts an interesting twist to the use of car resources and commuting! pero bata pa naman ako.. hehehe wala pa akong anak.. at hanggang sarili ko na lang ang inaasikaso.. i'm still getting used to a career change, and all that other adjustments that go with it, transportation-wise and all.

I am still trying to establish a routine, so I guess you're right. A combination of both as needed.
  • artart PExer
    much as i want to drive my own car, i can't.. coz i don't have one hehehe shy.gif

kaya tyaga sa pagje-jeep.. or fx (twing bagong sweldo) :)
  • Masarap mag-commute dahil wala kang problema sa mga MMDA enforcer, gasolina, parking etc.
  • if my office is in makati i might use the MRT,but i dont.i live in QC and work in manila..so i had to use the car
    kryptonian78: Tama ka doon, kryptonian78! Tumakas ka na ba sa pulis? Noong isang gabing napakadilim sa kanto ng Galleria-EDSA, sa harap ng Poveda, ako'y nasilipan ng isang MMDA na kumakanan papuntang Edsa.. at kaagad siyang kumatok sa bintana ng kotse ko! "Ser, one-way 'to!! Asan na ang lisensiya ninyo??"

evilgrin.gifevilgrin.gifevilgrin.gif Kaagad ko na rin kinambiyo ang kotse sa reverse , at inapakan ng todo-todo ang gas.. upang maka-takas... evilgrin.gifevilgrin.gifevilgrin.gif

at NAKA-TAKAS NGA!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! evil.gifevil.gifevil.gif

boom.gif ngunit napagalitan ng mrs. ko pagkatapos.. hehehe!

[This message has been edited by Noisy Cricket (edited 06-29-2000).]
  • Masarap lang gumamit ng tsikot kapag weekends o may gimik. Wala kang hassle at mas praktikal pa. pag weekdays problema mo pa ang pagpapaayos ng tsikot. Di gaya ng pagcommute derederetso ka na sa pagbiyahe mo.
  • kryptonian78 is right... hassle free...

ako i live in makati...i go to school is in UP diliman. commute lang everyday.

i don't have a car but i know how it feels to drive. and i hate traffic. mas nakakapagod. alalay sa clutch tapos ang ingay ng mga busina ng iba... susdyoskopatawarin
    lumipat na ako sa makati mula qc. hassle mag-commute! baka kapag natapos na nila yung mga MRT sa Ayala, at pati na rin sa Aurora Blvd! Katipunan to Ayala... astig! 12 minutes..!
  • i think its better to use bicycles here in the philippines.in that way, we can exterminate the traffic that causes headaches!you see, we can even save fuel and by that way, the government will no longer need to spend too much buying for oil which even makes the philippines more down in southeast asia.
    I've been wanting to buy a motorbike for quite some time now. Libreng parking most of the time, and do you know how far a full-tank goes? A full tank which is about P80 can get you to Baguio...
  • well, mas gusto ko na nasa car ako kaysa mag-commute. mainit kasi masyado sa labas. at least 'pag nasa car ako, kahit papaano malamig. isa pa, hindi na ako mahihirapan pang maghintay ng public vehicle na i have to take going to my destination. one more thing, hindi kasi ako masyadong marunong mamasahe. ni hindi nga ako marunong pumara ng sasakyan! so hindi ko talaga gusto mag-commute. kailangan ko munang magpaturong mamasahe. or if ever man na i need to commute, kailangan may kasama ako. but i think knowing how to commute is cool.