Home PEx Hobbies Anime and Manga

What's the overall best anime series/OAV/movie and who's the best anime character?

Lucky are those who have Home Cable.
AXN channel is holding an anime festival this August and it includes such titles as Akira, Ghost In The Shell and Fatal Fury.
Sayang, hindi kasama ang Ninja Scroll, my all-time favorite.

I have watched a fair share of anime pero I still don't understand why people are raving about Ghost In The Shell. It's OK pero medyo boring and the reviews don't exactly reflect the whole film. Parang overrated. Same goes for Akira. I admit, I was blown away when I first saw it pero ng panoorin ko ulit (esp. after watching Ninja Scroll), inaantok na ako sa pacing.

Did you guys watched the Samurai X (aka Ruroukin Kenshin) movie last August 5 on HBO? Whaddayathink?

Do you guys know which video shops have great anime collections?

Comments

• AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Hiya Jacob!

I've also heard that Ghost in the Shell is good (I haven't seen it yet), although an officemate of mine, who saw it after I prodded him to do so, didn't quite like it. He said it was "bitin" and couldn't understand just what the story was all about.

Ninja Scroll is REALLY cool! It was actually the first OAV which I appreciated. I also liked Fist of the North Star eventhough it was violent and gory. My brother loves Ah! My Goddess for the great detail given to the drawings.

Have you seen "Vision of Escaflowne"?

I think Cats is one of the more popular anime stores, although they have exorbitant prices.
  • Yeah! I saw Samuri X on HBO , it was a realy god anime , it had a story and all , and I heard of ghost in the shell , the ghost in the shel I know was a game , does that mean , this ghost in the shell was based on the Game?
  • Ghost In The Shell was based on a comic book.

Ada, I haven't seen those titles YET.

Probably the reason why I didn't like Ghost In The Shell is because I'm a samurai/ninja fan rather than a big robot one.
  • i must admit. i'm not exactly an anime conoisseur but i do appreciate some of the films i've seen.
    to jacob: i love ninja scroll as well, probably my all time fave too.
    with regards to akira, it was regardded in such a way because it was *way* ahead of its time. parang blade runner. so, comparing it to newer and more sophisticated animes just doesn't do the film justice.
    in my opinion, akira the second time around is even better :)
    btw, there's an anime rental place somewhere in BF (near the alabang area)... pretty good collection. they even used to have chasing amy, clerks and the likes...
  • I hope you all know where I got my name, I am not like Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold, the Colorado shooters, I swear.

Ninja Scroll was kick *****, some of the best sword-fighting I've ever seen. Rurouni Kenshin has some of the best character backgrounds, and is thick with story. The movie was more cinematographic and had more story than fighting, but what it lacked for in content, it made up for in quality. (Hint: Shigure uses Musashi Miyamoto's stance Juji dome in his fight with Kenshin. Watch where he croses his swords in front of him). And I'm already done with the Shishio series, hehehe.

Recomendations: Rurouni Kenshin, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Martian Successor Nadesico (REALLY REAlLY GOOD), Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (the 90's version), Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (the sequel to he tv show) (I like mecha)

Do not get: Night Warriors: Darkstalker's Revenge( Slow fights)

• Well, I'd have to say Ranma for the series, with second place going to Macross.

I really haven't decided the best OAV yet, but I have two winners for the movies:
    Ghost in Shell and Akira.

What're your picks?
  • pinheadpinhead PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    akira din,pero try mo rin yung ninja scrolls,malalim masyado yung ghost in a shell...sa tv series, dragon ball siyempre
    second is samurai x....
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    For the TV series, I'd have to go for Ranma for its humor. For the OAV, I'd say Ninja Scroll, hands down. None of the other OAVs I've seen can compare.

Samurai X is okay animation-wise, but I'm bothered that the lead character, err, Bathusai (sp?) sounds so condescending. I guess that's what you get when you translate anime to english. You rob the character of uh, character.

[This message has been edited by Ada (edited 09-06-1999).]
  • Yeah, Rumiko Takahashi hit a gold mine with Ranma 1/2. Did you know that it has shown for nine years in Japan? It's really one of the most popular anime series of all time. I've even read about it breathing life back into anime in the states.

But you also gotta recognize Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. The drawings are unique and the animation's fast.

But who can forget THE milestone of Japanese Animation...none other than Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira. It's story, art, music and style set a new standard for the genre. Another movie worth mentioning is Hayao Miyazaki's Princess Mononke. Bold and beautiful, yet something the whole family can watch.

:)
  • pinheadpinhead PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i've heard no. 1 daw sa US ngayon yung POKEMON....maganda ba talaga siya?
  • well ive seen the whole macross series and its good.. then i saw this dragonball z anime and i find it better, then this ah my goddess series came out its the best...
  • For an ongoing series:
    Rurouni Kenshin(subtitled)-Good characters
    Neon Genesis Evangelion-Disturbing
    Ranma 1/2-Gut-aching funny
    Martian Successor Nadesico-Watch it!

OAV
    Ranma 1/2
    Battle Angel
    Oh! My Goddess

Movie
    Mononoke Hime (any news on the Disney version?)
    Ninja Scroll - Kick *****!
    Eva - WOAH!
    Gundam W: Endless Waltz
  • Pinhead:

Pokemon's really cool. It's kind of new, but already it has an intense following in the states. Do you remember the news about the anime in Japan whose frame rate flickers so fast that it caused some kids to be sick? That's Pokemon. :)

freak:

Dragon Ball's better because it came out after Macross, but have you seen Macross Plus? Moy Fantasitico! You should try it out... :)
  • I always seem to forget something.

Macross Plus for OAV and Movie!
    Tenchi Muyo in Love for Movie
    Tenchi Muyo! for OAV
  • Golden Boy!!! Very funny and I loved the animation style and character designs!
  • i love ranma 1/2 !!! :) whenever im bored or stuck at home..i usually watch the ranma tapes we have...its really funny !!! :)
  • Do Voltes V and Daimos count?? Anyway, I kinda liked Sailormoon. The idea behind the series is so cool (imagine planets and cool powers for the girls, not to mention the skimpy sailorsuits in different colors).

Mononoke is great!
  • Oh, and I also like Akazukin Cha-cha! Too bad it lasts for only 53 episodes...
  • has anyone seen LA BLUE GIRL and
    OROSUKIDOGI(series)?
  • kuluping:

Yup, Urutsukudoji and LA Blue Girl are like...ahem...milestones in hentai anime. Yeah, it's *****, but it's ***** with story and character development. Still, I would rather watch Ranma, or Ninja Scrolls. :)