Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Date Movie of All Time

Maybe I haven't gotten out of the office enough, but my girlfriend and I haven't seen a good "aw, shucks, guy-and-girl-fall-in-love" kind of romantic comedy in ages!

Which makes me wonder: what is the best date movie you've ever seen, bar none?

Comments

• batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    How about the all time great Casablanca?

Honorable mention to An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. This was the movie the more recent Warren Beatty and Annette Bening movie Love Affair was based. (the remake was not nearly as good though!)
  • As far as more recent films are concerned, though, I still revere The Cutting Edge and Sleepless in Seattle. Before Sunrise is great, too, but I'm sure you've seen that a thousand times, Mikoid. When Harry Met Sally is another one...oh boy, makes me wanna watch 'em all over again!
  • I agree with batang uliran, Casablanca is a great date movie although now it's only on video I get to watch it.

I do like "Love Affair" better than An "Affair to Remember" although I only saw Love Affair by myself (without a date). Annette Benning was more charming than Deborah Kerr and Warren Beatty is a graduate of my university so I also have a bias.

Peace.
  • nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    I choose Before Sunrise starring Julie Delpi and Ethan Hawk. It's a simple movie that has the two main characters spending a memorable 24 hours together in romantic Venice (I think). It's a must watch for all you lovebirds out there.
  • While You Were Sleeping was the film which got me interested in movies in general. That sounds quite shallow, but it's true! I must have seen that film about 10 times in the theaters (with different people!) and about a hundred times on video. Which reminds me...I have to go watch it now... :)
  • i truly loved the original sabrina - with audrey hepburn and humprhy bogart... they just don't make movies like they used to,no?
  • i agree with chartreuse...while you were sleeping is the on of the best movie date...simply romantic... cutting edge is nice too...
  • One that I would consider to be an all time romantic movie is West Side Story. It's originally a musical play that they've made into a movie in the 1950's. A classic love story between 2 people of different races caught in the middle of an ethnic gang war. A modern day Romeo & Juliet flavored by the best songs composed by one of the greatest, Leonard Bernstein. I think this is available on tape and believe me this one is worth watching again and again.
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    This was one of Mikoid's very first threads here at PEx. Too early for many of you but here's your chance to reply to it.
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    First Knight. I just found that movie really romantic.
  • i agree with everyone's choices...add ko lang "only you" tsaka "somewhere in time" :)
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Most of Meg Ryan's newer stuff are date movies.
  • hmm nice yung Sliding Doors and Jerry Maguire
  • uy oo nga pala "jerry maguire"!! sobrang sweet talaga...

"you had me at hello..."

:)
  • hey joan, not to mention my fave line ever: "You complete me..."
    aaww shucks..!

i'd have to agree with Ira...most Meg Ryan films are date movies--don't you just love her in it??!!!

pero ang fave ko pala eh yung "While You Were Sleeping"...which I *have not* seen with anyone significant to me.. sana man lang eh kahit sa video may makatabi ako...!

• I agree with you guys, Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks tandem is the best when it comes to romantic comedies. Their movies together are also wholesome...which goes to show that a movie can survive and be a hit without sex and that there are many other ways of expressing love! ?
  • DREW BARRYMORE's flicks... maybe even ET...
    Never Been Kissed, Home Fries, Ever After, The Wedding Singer...
    SHE'S ALL THAT...
    CRUEL INTENTIONS...
    yeah, MEG RYAN's flicks...

hmm... basta anything funny and romantic...
  • ako rin agree.. mga meg ryan.. master na ata sya dun eh hehe tsaka while you were sleeping.. tsaka "a human head weighs 8 lbs.." jerry maguire *hmmm..* ayun.. :)

teka anong klaseng "date" ba yan? kung date lang talaga ok na yung mga nasa taas.. pero kung ibang klaseng "date" yan.. hmm dun na ako sa mga nilalangaw na pelikula.. hahaha ;)
  • Do good date movies have to be really romantic? I think The Mummy was an excellent date movie, although it wasn't that romantic at all. It had the elements of suspense & humour tinged with a little bit of romance. I think oks nga to panoorin sa date dahil the girls can grab onto the guy pag natakot sha & vice versa...o diba?!
  • sleepless in seattle...definitely...i really liked the idea of destiny and fate...especially liked meg ryan's line..."what if this man's my destiny and i never meet him..." also like you've got mail...sleepless is a classic