Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues

India: A Mysterious Country

Hey, what do you guys know about India? A friend of mine went to India last year and due to pandemic, she just returned to Philippines recently. She told me what she saw and experienced for past months and said that she would never go to India again. It's a dirty and rude country. What's worse, she was almost raped, not just for one time. She told me never choose India as your destination. I will tell you her experience gradually. And I wonder how our Filipinos think about India. Let's talk!

Comments

• Herr_StarrHerr_Starr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hey, what do you guys know about India? A friend of mine went to India last year and due to pandemic, she just returned to Philippines recently. She told me what she saw and experienced for past months and said that she would never go to India again. It's a dirty and rude country. What's worse, she was almost raped, not just for one time. She told me never choose India as your destination. I will tell you her experience gradually. And I wonder how our Filipinos think about India. Let's talk!
    Let's not.

One of my wife's friends had nearly the same experience a few years ago, in China.
    I have zero interest in discussing, or hearing about such sordid details on a forum like PEX. 

Let's not air this sort of dirty laundry, unless you have an axe to grind against India, and your friend is willing to post his or her verifiable name. 

Unless this happens, this is really just another excuse for rumor mongering.  ;)
  • PalmongTulsaPalmongTulsa PEx Rookie ⭐
    if you don't want to talk, you can leave. I didn't ask you to come here. I thought we just had different opinions, but I never imagined that you can be so rude. My friend was a girl. She came to India to study and just came back. I felt bad after I heard what she went through in India and I won't tell you her name in order to protect her. You are disappointing me.
    here is one of stories my friend told me.
    once, she was walking in the street alone and saw an Indian man making a kind of snack. She thought it must be delicious and wanted to have a try. So she asked the man how much it was. The man said 10 rupees. And my friend agreed to buy one. Here is what happened next. The man gave my friend the snack first and told her to taste. After my friend ate it, he said my friend needed to pay 100 rupees. My friend couldn't accept it and asked him why. The man couldn't give her a reason, but just urged my friend to pay. Later, several men surrounded my friend and threatened her. People around them didn't help my friend. They just looked at my friend as if she were an idiot. My friend had no choice. She could only pay the bill and leave.
  • joerizjoeriz PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Why even go to India?
    Work? Education? Sightseeing? Personal enlightenment?
    There are other safer and cleaner countries you can go to!
    Not leaving the Philippines is also a choice! Lots of places you can explore, too.
    joeriz said:
    Why even go to India?
    Work? Education? Sightseeing? Personal enlightenment?
    There are other safer and cleaner countries you can go to!
    Not leaving the Philippines is also a choice! Lots of places you can explore, too.
    my friend went there for her education. For me, I may never go there. It seems too dangerous for me.
    I actually googled about India and found some pictures. I'd like to share it with you.
    India Is Burning How Rapid Growth Is Destroying Its Environment and Future  - The Atlantic
    look at this. How can people live in such a place?
  • karel_mkarel_m PEx Rookie ⭐
    Wow, thats horrible! Almost looks like this place...

Delhi records 240 new Covid-19 cases and 3 deaths, infection tally nears 640,000

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/delhi-news/delhi-records-240-new-covid-19-cases-and-3-deaths-infection-tally-nears-640000-101614791041196.html

In the last 10 days, beginning Feb 22, and including latest figures, Delhi has recorded 200 or more daily cases of coronavirus on six days. Its latest spike was from 68,831 tests, a positivity rate of nearly 35%.
    Delhi on Wednesday recorded 240 fresh cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19), a day after 217 new infections were detected in the city, taking its infection tally to 639,921, according to the latest health bulletin issued by the Delhi government. This is the second time in two days that there has been a spike of over 200 new cases in Delhi, after 197 and 175 infections were recorded on February 28 and March 1 respectively.

There were 196 fresh recoveries from the viral disease in the capital city, taking total recoveries to 627,423 or 98.04% of the infection tally, the bulletin showed. The virus claimed three more lives, as the death toll rose to 10,914 or 1.70% of total cases, according to the bulletin. On Tuesday, there was no death in Delhi due to Covid-19.

Active cases, meanwhile, reached 1,584, up from 1,543 a day ago, and are 0.24% of the overall tally. The capital’s latest positive cases were from 68,831 samples tested for coronavirus, a positivity rate of nearly 35%; the 175 infections recorded on Monday were from 39,733 tests or a positivity rate of 0.44%, the highest here since January 15.

no wonder why India can't control the pandemic. In such a dirty place, it is easy to develop variant viruses. What if India transmit the virus to other countries? We should isolate India.

India coronavirus: 240 new COVID strains found as cases suddenly surge

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/india-coronavirus-240-new-covid-strains-found-as-cases-suddenly-surge/news-story/96c21b64343c9627938cb551275cef98

Life had pretty much returned to normal in India’s bustling cities since the beginning of the year with streets filled with people, marketplaces booming and the smell of street food filling the air.

The coronavirus pandemic had taken world’s most populous nation on a rollercoaster ride that saw it on the brink of utter chaos in September to a sudden drop in cases and deaths that has left health experts all over the world scratching their heads.

Nearly 100,000 new infections were reported each day when the virus took hold of the nation of 1.3 billion people in September – and India was on course to overtake the USA and record the biggest of case toll of any nation.

There were grave fears over the impact of the surge, as hospitals in some of India’s major cities reached capacity.

However, things began to change unexpectedly and suddenly, as cases started to plummet overnight and the number of daily deaths linked to the disease soon followed.

Just last week, new daily cases were hitting around 11,000 each day – a 90 per cent drop from the peak in September – prompting life to return to normal in many parts of the nation.

However, that number has increased substantially in the past few days, to over 14,000, and health experts have made some concerning discoveries among the new infections.

The mystery of India’s ‘lake of skeletons’

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56116533

High in the Indian Himalayas, a remote lake nestled in a snowy valley is strewn with hundreds of human skeletons.

Roopkund Lake is located 5,029 metres (16,500ft) above sea level at the bottom of a steep slope on Trisul, one of India's highest mountains, in the state of Uttarakhand.

The remains are strewn around and beneath the ice at the "lake of skeletons", discovered by a patrolling British forest ranger in 1942.

Depending on the season and weather, the lake, which remains frozen for most of the year, expands and shrinks. Only when the snow melts are the skeletons visible, sometimes with flesh attached and well preserved. To date, the skeletal remains of an estimated 600-800 people have been found here. In tourism promotions, the local government describes it as a "mystery lake".

For more than half-a-century anthropologists and scientists have studied the remains and puzzled over a host of questions.

Who were these people? When did they die? How did they die? Where did they come from?

One old theory associates the remains to an Indian king, his wife and their attendants, all of whom perished in a blizzard some 870 years ago.

Another suggests that some of the remains are of Indian soldiers who tried to invade Tibet in 1841, and were beaten back. More than 70 of them were then forced to find their way home over the Himalayas and died on the way.

Yet another assumes that this could have been a "cemetery" where victims of an epidemic were buried. In villages in the area, there's a popular folk song that talks about how Goddess Nanda Devi created a hail storm "as hard as iron" which killed people winding their way past the lake. India's second-highest mountain, Nanda Devi, is revered as a goddess.

Earlier studies of skeletons have found that most of the people who died were tall - "more than average stature". Most of them were middle-aged adults, aged between 35 and 40. There were no babies or children. Some of them were elderly women. All were of reasonably good health.

Also, it was generally assumed that the skeletons were of a single group of people who died all at once in a single catastrophic incident during the 9th Century.

The latest five-year-long study, involving 28 co-authors from 16 institutions based in India, US and Germany, found all these assumptions may not be true.

Scientists genetically analysed and carbon-dated the remains of 38 bodies, including 15 women, found at the lake - some of them date back to around 1,200 years.

They found that the dead were both genetically diverse and their deaths were separated in time by as much as 1,000 years.

"It upends any explanations that involved a single catastrophic event that lead to their deaths," Eadaoin Harney, the lead author of the study, and a doctoral student at Harvard University, told me. "It is still not clear what happened at Roopkund Lake, but we can now be certain that the deaths of these individuals cannot be explained by a single event."

But more interestingly, the genetics study found the dead comprised a diverse people: one group of people had genetics similar to present-day people who live in South Asia, while the other "closely related" to people living in present-day Europe, particularly those living in the Greek island of Crete.

Also, the people who came from South Asia "do not appear to come from the same population".

"Some of them have ancestry that would be more common in groups from the north of the subcontinent, while others have ancestry that would be more common from more southern groups," says Ms Harney.

So did these diverse groups of people travel to the lake in smaller batches over a period of a few hundred years? Did some of them die during a single event?

No arms or weapons or trade goods were found at the site - the lake is not located on a trade route. Genetic studies found no evidence of the presence of any ancient bacterial pathogen that could provide disease as an explanation for the cause of deaths.

A pilgrimage that passes by the lake might explain why people were travelling in the area. Studies reveal that credible accounts of pilgrimage in the area do not appear until the late 19th Century, but inscriptions in local temples date between 8th and 10th Centuries, "suggesting potential earlier origins".

So scientists believe that some of the bodies found at the site happened because of a "mass death during a pilgrimage event".

But how did people from the eastern Mediterranean land up at a remote lake in India's highest mountains?

It seems unlikely that people from Europe would have travelled all the way from Roopkund to participate in a Hindu pilgrimage.

Or was it a genetically isolated population of people from distant eastern Mediterranean ancestry that had been living in the region for many generations?

"We are still searching for answers," says Ms Harney. 

skeleton lake
    look at the lake of skeleton. What do you think?

NHRC recommends alert system to trace missing children in India

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/nhrc-recommends-alert-system-to-trace-missing-children-in-india-101615443273273.html
    As many as 73,138 children went missing in India in 2019 alone, according to National Crime Records Bureau. The group has said the issue should be made a national priority and recommended incentives for police to proactively investigating cases of missing children
    An early warning system should be developed in India on the lines of America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response (AMBER) Alert to trace the missing, runaway, trafficked, and abducted children, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has recommended.

The AMBER Alert was created in 1996 after Amber Hagerman, 9, was kidnapped and murdered in Texas. Under the system, once a child is abducted, law enforcement agencies notify broadcasters and state transportation officials for alerts. The alerts are issued by suspending regular programming on radio and television. They are also issued via emails, SMS, and electronic billboards on highways.

At a meeting, the NHRC’s Core Group on Children cited growing numbers of missing children to recommend the alert system. As many as 73,138 children went missing in India in 2019 alone, according to National Crime Records Bureau. The group has said the issue should be made a national priority and recommended incentives for police to proactively investigating cases of missing children.

The group has also recommended the revival of the Union home ministry’s Operation Smile under which drives were carried nationally to trace the missing children from 2015 to 2017. Over 70,000 children were traced under the scheme.

The group has also recommended a single comprehensive national standard operating procedure (SOP) to ensure uniformity by doing away with other overlapping procedures. It has said roles of each stakeholder, especially district child protection units, should be defined. There are overlapping Union home and women and child development ministries’ SOPs on missing children.

At the meeting, the group’s members flagged a “lack of accountability in law enforcement agencies and civil servants” and said it was “hindering effective implementation of various policies and guidelines”.

“There is a need to fix accountability for delay or non-registration of FIRs [first information reports],” according to the minutes of the meeting seen by HT. The members underlined the need for using artificial intelligence and heat-map for data collection and identification of the most vulnerable spots and routes. “There is a need to look at why children are leaving home, look at what prevents us from identifying those indicators early on, examine the impact of the response system on children’s right, etc. There is a need to research and evolve a model procedure for investigation for missing children, incorporating all the good practices and doing away with the redundant practices,” said the minutes.

Child rights lawyer Bhuwan Ribhu and Asha Bajpai, a former law professor at Tata Institute of Social Sciences, are among the members of the group. The group also includes representatives from the women and child development ministry, United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, and NHRC. 

Call it what it is: *****

https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/supreme-court-*****-cases-india-women-safety-s-a-bobde-7224377/

Two separate cases on a single day saw the Supreme Court play the patriarch who upholds the institution of marriage and family at all costs. Both hearings, held on March 1, compel us to scrutinise these institutions whose inviolability subsists on the state enforcing the silence of those violated.

In the first case, the bench, headed by Chief Justice of India S A Bobde, asked the accused whether he would marry the teenage girl, a relative, whom he was not only accused of raping when she was a minor but also stalking and threatening. The CJI clarified on March 8 that the bench didn’t order him to “marry”, only asked him if he would. The apex court added, “We do not remember any case of marital ***** was before us …We have the highest respect for women.” In the second instance, the SC bench wondered, rhetorically, whether a man, no matter how brutal he is, could be accused of ***** in a live-in relationship.

Despite the disclaimer, the statements made by the top court delegitimise the lived experience of ***** within the institutions of marriage and family. The bench has also given a generous interpretation of the exception to ***** laws in the Indian Penal Code (IPC) Section 375 — which states that sexual intercourse by a man with his wife cannot be termed as ***** — by extending the protection to men in live-in relationships. The remarks are premised on the view of ***** as stigma and not as violation of bodily autonomy, and of marriage as a restoration of so-called lost honour, never mind that it will reproduce the violation every day.

This view is bolstered by the popular perception of the rapist as the stranger-in-the-dark-alley. Of the 32,033 rapes registered in 2019 under IPC section 376, as per the National Crime Records Bureau, less than six per cent — 1,868 — were by strangers. In 94 per cent of the cases, the accused were known to the survivors and included family members, friends, neighbours, live-in partners, and separated husbands. There is no data on husbands who are offenders as the law dismisses the very possibility of sexual violence within marriage.

A World Health Organisation report released this week states that intimate partner violence (IPV) is the most prevalent form of violence against women. While six per cent women in the reproductive age (15-49 years) have been sexually assaulted by someone other than an intimate partner, 27 per cent have experienced physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner. In India, as per WHO data, the proportion of IPV is 35 per cent.

This is not to argue for expanding the ambit of criminalisation, but to re-examine demands for tougher sentencing and the death penalty. These demands, premised on the myth of stranger-***** prevalence, don’t consider what the survivor wants by way of restitution. Notwithstanding the exception granted to husbands under the ***** laws, survivors of marital ***** have recourse to justice, monetary relief, and shelter under the expansive civil Domestic Violence Act, which recognises the simultaneity of sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. However, the two recent cases reveal our continued refusal to see the family and intimate relations as the primary sites of gendered violence.

“What may appear to be marital ***** (to a wife) may not appear so to others” said the Centre in its September 2017 affidavit before the Supreme Court. When it comes to family honour, appearances are more important. This has implications in how the justice system treats survivors of sexual violence. Forced marriages are a common subterfuge for trafficking vulnerable tribal women from rural India as the traffickers know that a man will never be considered responsible for sexually exploiting his wife. Despite being banned by the SC in 2013, the two-finger test is still used on ***** survivors. It is based on the notion that an intact hymen is the mark of an unmarried woman’s honour and ***** could only be committed against a woman whose hymen — and by extension honour — is still intact. The presumption is that married women can’t be raped, especially not by their own. Similarly, the focus during ***** trials on signs of resistance on the survivor’s body and clothes overlook the fact that, often, survivors simply freeze, especially when the perpetrator is a known person or someone high in the power hierarchy.

Almost 50 years ago, the SC’s dismissal of the Mathura ***** case, on the grounds that there were no signs of struggle, overlooked the power differentials in an Adivasi girl’s ***** and assault by cops in a police station. The outrage that followed wrote custodial ***** into India’s criminal law. Historian Uma Chakravarti has since argued that violence that occurs within the “protective custody” of the institution of family is also a form of custodial violence.

Like the recent open letter to the CJI signed by thousands of activists, there was one addressed to the Supreme Court in the wake of the Mathura case. It read: “Consent involves submission; but the converse is not necessarily true. Nor is absence of resistance necessarily indicative of consent”. When the top court of the country uses the word “seduction” while referring to sexual violence and hesitates to use the term “*****” only because the survivor and the accused lived as husband and wife, consent takes on a more retrograde redefinition — as not merely submission, but servitude.

Amazing all the output after the US, India, Australia and Japan held their first Presidential Confab a few days ago. 

Quick question, when will China release the millions of Uighurs kept in concentration camps? 

Key outcomes:

• India to produce a billion Covid Vaccines to distribute in Asia
    • US and Japan to fund the effort
    • Australia to manage the distribution of the Vaccine
  • The Smartest ManThe Smartest Man PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

12 Indian children given hand sanitizer instead of polio vaccine

In a case of medical negligence, nurses in western India on Tuesday administered 12 children aged 1-5 with hand sanitizer instead of polio vaccine drops. The children have since been admitted to a hospital and are in stable condition. The authorities have suspended the nurses involved and launched an inquiry.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-02-03/12-Indian-children-given-hand-sanitizer-instead-of-polio-vaccine-XzD43Nmj4Y/index.html