Home PEx Business and Careers Banking and Finance

BPI in crisis, stealing money from accounts

I have an Express Savings account with BPI. Unfortunately, the bank is clearly undergoing huge difficulties, and may be on the brink of collapse. At this time they have blocked all my funds (over half a million) and are not responding to email or phone communication.

I must also tell you of a terrible incident in March. At that time, they were already in chaos due to the Quarantine. I went to make a simple ATM withdrawal. No cash was dispensed. I retried it. Again, no cash. Now, when I checked my online account, it showed that 35K had been withdrawn, well over my daily limit. I was horrified.

I phoned BPI but could not get through due to their sudden staff shortages -- I was just disconnected every time. I also informed them by email within two days, but they did not respond.

Three months later I finally got through to them. They said, "Yes, we will return the money in 7 days." Nothing. I called again. "We will return it in 14 days." Nothing. Then, "We will return it in 45 days." Of course, nothing. They stopped answering my emails and calls, except to say on one occasion: "Over 30 days has passed so we don't know anything about it."

Obviously, this is fraud.

Have you experienced similar difficulties at the ATM? If not, you may do soon. They may simply not have the money to give you. If you are withdrawing money, make sure you go into a branch, so they do not simply steal money from you the way they have done with me. And make sure you have a lot of cash in storage in case the bank collapses. At this stage you would be safer keeping your money under your mattress.

Are you aware of what happened in Argentina in 1989 and 2001? Due to the economic collapse, ATMs simply stopped giving out money. People were astonished, then furious. I fear that the same thing may be happening now in the Philippines due to the COVID-19 situation.

Please save this message to your computer. If this message disappears, you will know BPI is trying to cover up a serious emergency.

Tagged:

Comments

• aeonfenriraeonfenrir PEx Rookie ⭐
    ... did you try contacting your branch of account...?
  • markapinya2markapinya2 PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited August 2020
    ^Yup. Undispensed atm error has happened to me with BPI couple of times. Inconvenient, but it's always sorted out in a few days. No need to let your imagination run wild :)
  • IronHandofJusticeIronHandofJustice Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    BPI may be older than your lolo sa tuhod. 

Doesn't mean they didn't return your money, they have nothing left in their vault. 

• piquanteyepiquanteye Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    edited August 2020
    BSP is doing everything to check and balance the financial health of Ph. The statements above is defamatory to BPI, BSP and BAP. Is there anyone who could take this thread down? If your account has serious issues like that foreign based company try to talk to BPI. 
    BPI is currently upgrading their resources even the Makati building. Maybe you are talking about the BPI Makati building is about to collapse due to a New and Upgraded BPI bldg is about to be constructed this year? lol

• BoychupitoBoychupito PEx Rookie ⭐
    The simple solution to this is to go to your branch of account and sort this out.

I don't think BPI will risk it's reputation for half million pesos. 
  • ehleesyanehleesyan Kapag nasa katwiran, isumbong mo! PEx Moderator
    Like what others said:

1. Reach out to your Branch of Account (BOA)
    - if BOA is not open during M-ECQ / GCQ, then call BPI Hotline.
    2. Undispensed cash through ATM but deducted in your account can be fixed by a simple report via telephone call to your Bank's hotline.

Recently, my parents had withdrawn 10,000 through an RCBC ATM Machine (her bank is RCBC too) - unfortunately, the ATM did not dispense any cash, but my mom reviewed their account transactions two days after, and found out that her account was debited for that. This atm is located in her BOA, unfortunately, due to the imposed Community Quarantine, this particular branch is not operating. So they opted to call the RCBC Hotline to report about it, and voilà, the amount was returned two days after.
  • northkidnorthkid PEx Rookie ⭐
    The OP mentioned on their post/s in the other BPI threads that he's out of the country right now so going to their branch is not an option.
  • aeonfenriraeonfenrir PEx Rookie ⭐
    The branch should still have a phone number.
  • markapinya2markapinya2 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Kung overseas ang withdrawal, he needs to follow up with the bank that owns the atm. BPI won't know of the error until the overseas bank 'reverses' the transaction. Locally, Bancnet have protocols na number of days lang. But internationally, this goes through Mastercard/Cirrus, so it will take months possibly.