Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

US Should Stay Away from Our Own Business!

Why does US always comment on Philippines business, such as anti-terror bill and Rappler CEO? our government and our people can handle these things well and alone. it's time for US to stop intervening on our internal affairs!

Comments

• JoseSantos12JoseSantos12 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Hillary, Albright back Ressa on libel case 
    https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/06/17/2021487/hillary-albright-back-ressa-libel-case

Former US secretaries of state Hillary Clinton and Madeleine Albright yesterday expressed support for Rappler chief executive officer and executive editor Maria Ressa, who was convicted of cyber libel on Monday.

“Maria Ressa was convicted in the Philippines yesterday for doing her job. As Amal Clooney wrote, the message to other journalists is, ‘Keep quiet, or you’ll be next,’” Clinton said in a post on Twitter.

“We must fiercely protest attacks on the press. They are attacks on democracy,” the former US first lady said.

Albright also threw her support for Ressa on Twitter.

“I stand with Maria Ressa,” Albright said                        

U.S. should resist Maria Ressa verdict – Washington Post

https://www.rappler.com/nation/263929-united-states-should-resist-maria-ressa-verdict-washington-post

The internationally acclaimed Washington Post called on the US government to show “much greater resistance” against the guilty verdict on Rappler CEO Maria Ressa, as the Philippines “slides toward autocracy” under President Rodrigo Duterte.

In a stinging editorial on Tuesday, June 16, the Washington Post said it was 15 months ago when the US State Department “issued one statement saying it was ‘concerned’ about the prosecution of Ms Ressa, who holds US citizenship.” (Ressa, as a dual citizen, also holds Filipino citizenship.)

“The Philippines’ slide toward dictatorship deserves much greater resistance from Washington – if not from the White House, then from Congress,” wrote the Washington Post Editorial Board.

A Manila court on Monday, June 15, sentenced Ressa and former Rappler researcher Reynaldo Santos Jr for cyber libel. This is the most high-profile case filed by the Duterte government against individual journalists, in what critics view as part of Duterte’s de facto dictatorship.

The Washington Post said Ressa’s conviction “ought to be shocking to democratic nations.” This echoed the view of international journalists who said, in a forum on Monday, that democracies should push back against Ressa’s verdict.

“A court verdict that could lead to a prison sentence of up to 7 years for her and a colleague showed that Mr Duterte is succeeding in compromising the Philippines’ justice system, even as he personally flouts the rule of law,” said the leading American news outlet.

The Washington Post viewed Ressa’s case in the context of Duterte’s recent steps “toward dismantling the Philippines’ 3-decade-old democracy.” The news outlet cited the shutdown of the Philippines’ biggest TV network, ABS-CBN, which according to Human Rights Watch “reeks of political vendetta.” It also mentioned the anti-terror bill, seen as a tool to curtail dissent, that is now awaiting Duterte’s signature.

US ambassador to PH expresses concern over Maria Ressa verdict

https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/06/17/20/us-ambassador-to-ph-expresses-concern-over-maria-ressa-verdict

US Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim on Wednesday expressed concern over the guilty verdict against Rappler CEO Maria Ressa and former writer-researcher Reynaldo Santos over a cyber libel case.

In a tweet, Kim called for a resolution of the case in a manner "that reinforces the U.S. and Philippines’ shared commitment to freedom of expression, including for members of the press."

We are very concerned by the verdict against Maria Ressa and Reynaldo Santos and call for resolution of the case in a way that reinforces the U.S. and Philippines’ shared commitment to freedom of expression, including for members of the press.

— Ambassador Sung Kim (@USAmbManila) June 17, 2020

Kim's statement echoed that of the US State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus.

U.S. 'concerned' over shutdown of top Philippine broadcaster

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/08/asia-pacific/us-concern-philippines-broadcaster-shutdown/

The United States on Thursday voiced concern over the Philippine government-ordered shutdown of the country’s top broadcaster ABS-CBN, which has been targeted by President Rodrigo Duterte.

“We are concerned by the situation regarding ABS-CBN,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said.

“An independent media plays a critical role in facilitating the open exchange of information and ideas which is vital to free, prosperous and secure democratic societies,” she said.

Ortagus said that free media was especially vital in promoting public health amid the global COVID-19 pandemic.

“This is true for the United States, the Philippines, as well as countries around the world,” she said.

Taylor Swift shares petition to junk anti-terror bill in the Philippines

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/showbiz/showbizabroad/740999/taylor-swift-shares-petition-to-junk-anti-terror-bill-in-the-philippines/story/

No less than pop icon Taylor Swift backed the petition to junk the proposed Anti-Terrorism Act in the Philippines.

advertisement

The American singer-songwriter had shared a bunch of petitions on her Instagram following the death of George Floyd, which sparked unrest in the United States.

Among the petitions against racism linked on her Instagram stories is the Change.org petition "Junk Terror Bill," created by user Defend UPLB.

So far nearly 400,000 have signed the petition.

• Herr_StarrHerr_Starr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Why does US always comment on Philippines business, such as anti-terror bill and Rappler CEO? our government and our people can handle these things well and alone. it's time for US to stop intervening on our internal affairs!
    Most of what the Philippine Government does involves the US Government, the Anti-Terror Bill will affect contractual relationships such as the VFA and more. Of course the US will have an opinion on a bill which can impact the current relationship. 

Maria Ressa is a Filipino-AMERICAN, she was raised in the US and is a Princeton Grad, why wouldn't the US be concerned?

Are these facts a surprise to you comrade?  :murica:

• hsusonhsuson PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^PAID CHINA TROLL....BEWARE :s  

hsuson said:
    ^PAID CHINA TROLL....BEWARE :s  

shut the ***** up. I don't like China, either. I hate all countries that bully us. Don't judge me.
    Most of what the Philippine Government does involves the US Government, the Anti-Terror Bill will affect contractual relationships such as the VFA and more. Of course the US will have an opinion on a bill which can impact the current relationship. 

Maria Ressa is a Filipino-AMERICAN, she was raised in the US and is a Princeton Grad, why wouldn't the US be concerned?

but i saw that Harry Roque said that our own system can solve these problems. of course, some decisions we make will have influence on US, but we still have the right to make independent decisions. they shouldn't tell us what to do. if you can accept it without any problem, i think you are deeply influenced by western standards. what a pity.
    if you are a paid US troll or you are ok with US's damn attitude, don't leave a word here.
  • hsusonhsuson PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited June 24
    ^Perhaps you don't realize that if not for the US, there would already be a China Naval + Airbase a few kilometers off Zambales.

In 2016, China sent sand dredgers to Scarborough Shoal.  Pres. Obama called up Xi Jin Ping directly to back down or the US Navy will intervene. China did an embarassing U-Turn.

The US then sent A-10 Attack planes to Clark to guard the Shoal.

The truth is, the Philippines cannot defend itself from outside invaders.  Rebelde pa lang hirap na hirap yung military natin.

:s  

but i saw that Harry Roque said that our own system can solve these problems. of course, some decisions we make will have influence on US, but we still have the right to make independent decisions. they shouldn't tell us what to do. if you can accept it without any problem, i think you are deeply influenced by western standards. what a pity.
    You sound surprised comrade. 

The Philippines is part of the US Sphere of Influence, has been for generations. Duterte pivoted to China, but the next election is in two years, his political capital is mostly spent. 

The Philippines is part of the US Sphere of Influence, has been for generations. Duterte pivoted to China, but the next election is in two years, his political capital is mostly spent. 

isn't that a problem that Philippines has been influenced by US for generations? i think that's why we have so many people like you. i don't care who will be the president and if he prefers US or China or Australia.  i just hate that other countries tries to pressure our government and make decisions that they could benefit from. 
    hsuson said:
    ^Perhaps you don't realize that if not for the US, there would already be a China Naval + Airbase a few kilometers off Zambales.

In 2016, China sent sand dredgers to Scarborough Shoal.  Pres. Obama called up Xi Jin Ping directly to back down or the US Navy will intervene. China did an embarassing U-Turn.

The US then sent A-10 Attack planes to Clark to guard the Shoal.

The truth is, the Philippines cannot defend itself from outside invaders.  Rebelde pa lang hirap na hirap yung military natin.

:s  
    i understand. it's a tragedy that we can't protect us from China's threat. US did help us, but they didn't do it for free. you should know that.
    US report: Philippines complies with ‘minimum’ standards in eliminating human trafficking 
    https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/06/26/2023687/us-report-philippines-complies-minimum-standards-eliminating-human-trafficking

The Philippines fully met the minimum standards in ending human trafficking for the fifth straight year, the US State Department said in an annual report released Friday. 

“The government continued to demonstrate serious and sustained efforts during the reporting period; therefore the Philippines remained on Tier 1,” the State Department said. Those included in Tier 1 are nations whose governments fully comply with US anti-human trafficking measures.

“These efforts included improving the coordination of services for returning Filipino migrant workers who were victims of trafficking overseas; convicting and punishing traffickers, including an official complicit in sex trafficking and labor traffickers; increasing assistance to survivors who provide testimony; and increasing the use of prosecution procedures that reduce the potential for further harm to trafficking victims,” it said.

The State Department cited the conduct of 245 anti-trafficking coordinated operations and investigation of 462 investigations, which resulted in the arrest of 507 suspects.

US report: Philippines remains a destination for foreign terrorists

https://www.asianjournal.com/philippines/across-the-islands/us-report-philippines-remains-a-destination-for-foreign-terrorists/

THE Philippines remains a top destination for foreign terrorists despite the government’s continued efforts to enforce measures against security threats, a recent U.S. State Department study found.

In its Country Reports on Terrorism 2019 released on Wednesday, June 24, the United States found that the Philippine government struggled to apply a concerted approach to prevent terror attacks, as foreign fighters from Indonesia, Malaysia, and countries in the Middle East and Europe continued to arrive in the Philippines.

The report also cited terror groups, such as the Abu Sayyaf, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), Ansar al-Khalifa Philippines (AKP) and the Maute group, which were all active in 2019 and linked to the Middle East-based Islamic State.

“The Abu Sayyaf Group has committed kidnappings-for-ransom, bombings, ambushes of security personnel, public beheadings, assassinations, and extortion,” the report said.

It noted that ASG was responsible for incidents like conducting kidnapping-for-ransom operations targeting Canadian, Norwegian, German, and Filipino citizens in 2016 and 2017, killing nine people and injured others in an attack on Basilan Island in August 2017, and detonating a car bomb at a military checkpoint on Basilan Island, killing 10 people, including a Philippine soldier and pro-government militia.

The report also tackled the continued attacks of the Communist Party of the Philippines and its armed wing New People’s Army on security forces and civilians in the country.

“The CPP/NPA primarily targets Philippine security forces, government officials, local infrastructure, and businesses that refuse to pay extortion, or ‘revolutionary taxes.’ The CPP/NPA also has a history of attacking U.S. interests in the Philippines,” the report said.

It added, “Over the past several years, the CPP/NPA has continued to carry out killings, raids, kidnappings, acts of extortion, and other forms of violence primarily directed against Philippine security forces.”

According to the report, the CPP/NPA’s most deadly attack happened in April 2019, when they detonated bombs by an improvised landmine in a surprise early morning attack clash in Samar, killing six Philippine troops.

The government has made some strides in compliance with United Nations Security Council (UNSCR) 2396, which included trying to curb terrorist travel and improving information sharing with foreign partners.

However, the report noted that the proposed amendments to strengthen the 2007 Human Security Act are still pending in Congress as of the end of 2019.

The controversial Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020, which seeks to strengthen the HSA, has yet to be signed by President Rodrigo Duterte. He has 30 days to act on the legislation or else the bill will lapse into law 30 days after receipt.

edited June 28

isn't that a problem that Philippines has been influenced by US for generations? i think that's why we have so many people like you. i don't care who will be the president and if he prefers US or China or Australia.  i just hate that other countries tries to pressure our government and make decisions that they could benefit from. 
    Would you rather the Philippines be influenced by China, Comrade? :rofl:

Until I see a post from you condemning China's attempt to infringe on Philippine Sovereignity, I advise posters to take your posts with a rather large grain of salt eijo. 

The US is in such a position because of generations of goodwill Filipino's have towards the US. There are millions of Filipino's living and working in the US, something China, or any other country, cannot hope to duplicate in the short term...China has not earned it. 

So, are you a fan of China's land grab in the West Philippine Sea? Your silence means yes.  ;)
    now you are forcing me change my mind? I can't hate US if I don't dislike China? and that's not enough i said i hated China bullying us in WPS? I must post a news to approve it? whatever you say, you seem insane to me.
    now you are forcing me change my mind? I can't hate US if I don't dislike China? and that's not enough i said i hated China bullying us in WPS? I must post a news to approve it? whatever you say, you seem insane to me.
    Don't get so dramatic. Why are you so sensitive on this issue? :lol:   

While its clear you hate the US, China is always in your heart. Why don't you even mention the West Philippine Sea in full? 

China has a long way to go before earning a place in Filipino's hearts...
  • crazy legscrazy legs PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Chinese troll.