Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

George Floyd: Black man dies after US police pin him to ground

George Floyd: Black man dies after US police pin him to ground

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/breathe-black-man-dies-officer-pins-200526165502331.html

A Black man who yelled "I cannot breathe" as a white Minneapolis police officer pinned him down with his knee in the US state of Minnesota died late on Monday, police confirmed, drawing outrage from community members and leaders, and leading to the officers' termination. 

Video of the incident shows the police officer pinning down George Floyd, believed to be in his 40s, to the pavement with his knee on the man's neck for several minutes. Floyd was identified by prominent civil rights lawyer Ben Crump, who said he had been retained by the Floyd family. Floyd can be heard saying in the video: "Please, please, I cannot breathe."

The officer tells Floyd to "relax".

Floyd responds: "I can't breathe. Please, the knee in my neck."

The officer continues to hold down Floyd with his knee for several minutes, with Floyd pleading and asking for water.

"My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Please, please. I can't breathe," Floyd cries out, while moaning and trying to cough.

Floyd eventually appears motionless under the officer's knee.

Those who were watching the incident unfold can be heard begging police to move off Floyd.

"He's not f****** moving," an onlooker can be heard saying. "Get off of his f****** neck."

It is unclear what happened before and after the video was taken.

Comments

• BrwinwaBrwinwa PEx Rookie ⭐

US roils with George Floyd death protests

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/friday-briefing-us-roils-with-george-floyd-death-protests

Thousands of protesters have taken to the streets for another night of mass demonstrations as anger over the death of George Floyd continues to sweep the US. Minnesota’s governor called in the national guard as the city of Minneapolis faced a third night of protests. Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, died on Monday after his neck was knelt on by a white police officer for almost nine minutes despite his cries of “I can’t breathe”.
    Reports emerged last night of large fires breaking out in the city. Elsewhere in the US, dozens were arrested at a large demonstration in New York City, while at a protest which broke out in Denver, Colorado, shots were fired near the state Capitol, though no injuries were reported.

Black live matters!!! They can't just murder someone without being punished!!!

Minneapolis police precinct on fire as protests rage on after death of George Floyd

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/protests-looting-erupt-again-minneapolis-area-following-death-george-floyd-n1216881

A police precinct was burning in Minneapolis as protests over the death of George Floyd raged on for a third straight day.

Protesters late Thursday focused their attention on the police department's 3rd Precinct, the base of four officers who were fired after Floyd's death in their custody Monday.

A fire spread to the interior of the station, which police had evacuated. They cleared the building shortly after 10 p.m., when demonstrators forcibly entered and "ignited several fires," department spokesman John Elder said.

Mayor Jacob Frey said in an early morning news conference Friday that he made the decision to pull police out of the precinct. "You know brick and mortar is not as important as life," he said.

He called the vandalism and arson "unacceptable," but he vowed that officers would continue to patrol the community served by the 3rd Precinct. "We will continue to do our jobs in that area," Frey said.

Fires also burned on both sides of the police station as demonstrators pushed down temporary fencing and occupied property at the precinct. Officers fired tear gas from the ground and a rooftop.

The city of Minneapolis on Twitter urged people to "retreat" from the area as a precaution. "We're hearing unconfirmed reports that gas lines to the Third Precinct have been cut and other explosive materials are in the building."

Police said late Thursday that no serious injuries had been reported.

Multiple blazes also burned on nearby blocks.

The Minnesota National Guard said on Twitter that 500 soldiers had been activated for duty in the Twin Cities. "Our mission is to protect life, preserve property and the right to peacefully demonstrate," it said.

Gov. Tim Walz signed an executive order Thursday activating the National Guard. A statement from the governor's office said the order was needed after "extensive damage to private property occurred and peaceful protests evolved into a dangerous situation for protesters and first responders."

Businesses across the Twin Cities boarded up their windows and doors Thursday to prevent looting.

Looters on Thursday broke into a Target on University Avenue in St. Paul before police arrived, sending the raiders scrambling.

But as police circled the store and faced off with an angry crowd, looters broke into a T.J. Maxx close by and made off with whatever they could carry. That store was later reported to be on fire.

"Officers continue to be hit with rocks and bottles thrown by people who are also breaking into buildings, looting and destroying property," St. Paul police said on Twitter.

People are protesting to show their anger.

Mississippi police officer on leave after video shows him grabbing man by neck

https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/2020/05/25/mississippi-police-officer-on-leave-after-video-shows-him-grabbing-man-by-neck/

A police officer in Mississippi’s capital city is on leave after a video shows the officer holding a man by the neck.

Jackson Police James Davis tells the Clarion Ledger that department’s internal affairs division is investigating and trying to find out everything that happened.

“They were in a struggle, a scuffle,” Davis said.

In the video, the unnamed officer appears to grab a young man by the throat as a nearby bystander pleads with the officer that the man can’t breathe. The bystander then tries to loosen the officer’s grip on the man.

“He’s not breathing. He’s not breathing,” she says.

“Ma’am. You see my hands? I’m not even choking him,” the officer replies as he presses the man against a car.

The nature of the confrontation remains unclear. The officer repeatedly tells the young man that he asked him to leave.

“I asked you to leave. What did you do?” the officer asks.

The officer repeatedly yells into the young man’s face, daring him to resist, saying, “Make me. Make me. I said make me.”

No arrests were made, although a report was written, Davis said. The department didn’t immediately release a copy.

The chief said the Hinds County jail is not admitting prisoners on misdemeanor charges because of the coronavirus pandemic. It’s unclear what charges the young man faces.

Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba released a statement saying he was aware of the video.

“This administration is clear that we are trying to build an approach to public safety that is about trust, collaboration, and integrity,” Lumumba said. “Any Actions that do not reflect those principles have no place in the city of Jackson.”

Another one! What's wrong with these police? 
  • lafilafi PEx Rookie ⭐

US police brutality.

• hellraiser2.hellraiser2. PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

Minneapolis cop who knelt on handcuffed black man George Floyd charged with 3rd degree murder, manslaughter

Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer seen kneeling on George Floyd's neck until he could not breathe, has been charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Friday afternoon.

Freeman said the evidence against Chauvin includes video from a bystander's cell phone, body camera footage as well as statements from witnesses and a preliminary report from the medical examiner.

"We felt in our professional judgment that it was time to charge and we have so done it," Freeman said.

He later added he expected additional charges to be brought against the other officers involved in the incident, but did not go into detail.

Chauvin's arrest follows three days of protests across Minneapolis that led to looting, violence and a police precinct being torched.

Freeman also defended the speed of the arrest against Chauvin.

"This is by far the fastest we have ever charged a police officer," he said. "Normally these cases take nine months to a year. We have to charge these cases very carefully because we have a difficult burden of proof."

According to the criminal complaint against Chauvin, Floyd's autopsy showed he did not die from strangulation alone but a combination of being restrained along with various underlying medical conditions including heart disease and hypertension.

Chauvin is the first white police officer in the state to be charged in the death of a black citizen.

Two hours earlier, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz promised swift justice in Floyd's death, but also pleaded with protestors who have set fire to Minneapolis to stop, so the city could restore justice and order.

"I won't patronize you as a white man about living those experiences... but I am asking you to help us," Walz said. "Help us use humane ways to get the streets to a place where we can restore the justice so that those who are expressing rage and anger and demanding justice are heard, not those who throw fire bombs into businesses."

Minnesota state troopers provide protection as firefighters battle a fire, May 29, after another night of protests, fires and looting over the arrest of George Floyd. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)

Walz added that that the looting and violence was counterproductive to the ultimate goal of seeking justice for Floyd and that underlying issues involved in Floyd's death could not be addressed until there was calm.

"We can't have it because we can't function as a society and I refuse to have it take away from the attention of the state," he said.

Walz also referenced Philando Castile and other black people who have died in Minnesota at the hands of police.

“Their voices went unheard, and now generations of pain is manifesting itself in front of the world,” Walz said. “And the world is watching.”

About a half hour ahead of Waltz's press conference, President Trump tweeted, "The National Guard has arrived on the scene. They are in Minneapolis and fully prepared. George Floyd will not have died in vain. Respect his memory!!!"

Floyd, 46, died in police custody Monday night.

He had been arrested after an employee at a grocery store called police to accuse Floyd of trying to pass a counterfeit $20 bill.

Floyd, who is black, was then handcuffed by Chauvin, who is white, and pushed to the ground. A cell phone video shows Floyd's head is turned to the side and he does not appear to be resisting. Chauvin has his knee pressed to the back of Floyd's neck for several minutes as Floyd is seen gasping for air and begging Chauvin to stop. He does not. Bystanders are also heard shouting at Chauvin to take his knee off Floyd's neck.

Tou Thao, the second officer seen in the video, does nothing as Floyd struggles for several minutes before going limp.

Together, Chauvin and Thao have had more than a dozen conduct complaints against them in the past, but have not been formally reprimanded.

The two other officers were at the scene were Thomas Lane and Alexander Kueng.

• lafilafi PEx Rookie ⭐

Groundhog Day for a Black Man.  LOL

• DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    There's currently a comparison.

edited May 31
    To some members of the Alt-Right, it seems that playing CALL OF DUTY during COVID lockdown (or "fake lockdown", depending on one's political POV) isn't enough. They want the "boogaloo" - code word for civil war.

Far-Right Extremists Are Hoping to Turn the George Floyd Protests Into a New Civil War

edited May 31
    Anonymous steps in. Exposures will happen.

• TrollmasterTrollmaster PEx Rookie ⭐
    ANTIFA  = GOONS OF THE LEFT!  
  • TrollmasterTrollmaster PEx Rookie ⭐

Dunedain said:
    To some members of the Alt-Right, it seems that playing CALL OF DUTY during COVID lockdown (or "fake lockdown", depending on one's political POV) isn't enough. They want the "boogaloo" - code word for civil war.

Far-Right Extremists Are Hoping to Turn the George Floyd Protests Into a New Civil War

left-wing ANTIFA thugs are bused in by George Soros to Minnesota!

Maghanda na kayo sa US Civil War 2.0!  

• Herr_StarrHerr_Starr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Dunedain said:

left-wing ANTIFA thugs are bused in by George Soros to Minnesota!

Maghanda na kayo sa US Civil War 2.0!  

So Trump wants to add the dissolution of the Union to the hundreds of thousands of deaths and tens of millions of jobs destroyed under his watch?

• Herr_StarrHerr_Starr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    When a President of the United States is sworn in, he or she takes the Oath of Office of the President of the United States. That person swears to do the following:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."[
    The Constitution calls for a stronger UNION of the states, by his actions and inactions, Trump is doing everything he can to weaken that Union, and by extension, he is no longer fulfilling his duties as an elected official. 

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

This is a time when a true leader calls for Unity, not create more division...It seems President Trump has failed to uphold every single line item in that preamble. 
    Dunedain said:
    Anonymous steps in. Exposures will happen.

They said that Trump raped a 13-year old girl years ago.
    Guys, I've got cough these days and had to stay in hospital. But don't worry. I am fine now. It's not corona. I hope you all stay healthy and safe.

World alarmed by violence in US; thousands march in London

Nations around the world have watched in horror at the civil unrest in the United States following the death of George Floyd, a black man who died after a white police officer pressed his knee on his neck until he stopped breathing.

acism-tinged events no longer startle even America’s closest allies, though many have watched coverage of the often-violent protests with growing unease. Burning cars and riot police in the U.S. featured on newspaper front pages around the globe Sunday — bumping news of the COVID-19 pandemic to second-tier status in some places.

Floyd's death on May 25 in Minneapolis was the latest in a series of deaths of black men and women at the hands of police in the U.S.

Thousands gathered in central London on Sunday to offer support for American demonstrators. Chanting "No justice! No peace!" and waving placards with the words “How many more?” at Trafalgar Square, the protesters ignored U.K. government rules banning crowds because of the pandemic. Police didn't stop them.

Demonstrators then marched to the U.S. Embassy, where a long line of officers surrounded the building. Several hundred milled around in the street and waved placards.

Protesters in Denmark also converged on the U.S. Embassy on Sunday. Participants carried placards with messages such as “Stop Killing Black People.”

The U.S. Embassy in Berlin was the scene of protests on Saturday under the motto: “Justice for George Floyd.” Several hundred more people took to the streets Sunday in the capital’s Kreuzberg area, carrying signs with slogans like “Silence is Violence,” “Hold Cops Accountable,” and “Who Do You Call When Police Murder?” No incidents were reported.

Germany’s top-selling Bild newspaper on Sunday carried the sensational headline “This killer-cop set America ablaze” with an arrow pointing to a photo of now-fired police officer Derek Chauvin, who has been charged with third-degree murder in Floyd’s death, with his knee on Floyd’s neck. The newspaper’s story reported “scenes like out of a civil war."

In Italy, the Corriere della Sera newspaper's senior U.S. correspondent Massimo Gaggi wrote that the reaction to Floyd’s killing was “different” than previous cases of black Americans killed by police and the ensuring violence.

I have to say that I am so surprised things went so quickly while i am sick. it's just three days and US is like in the war. People gathered and burned.