Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III tests positive for coronavirus

hellraiser2.hellraiser2. Registered User PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
edited March 25 in Local and Foreign Issues

Pimentel tests positive for coronavirus

(3rd UPDATE) Senator Koko Pimentel says he was at the hospital with his wife – who was supposed to give birth on Wednesday, March 25 – when he learned about the test result

MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, making him the second senator to contract COVID-19.

In a statement sent to reporters, Pimentel said he took the test on March 20 and was informed about the result late Tuesday, March 24.

"Since the last day of session March 11, I had already tried my best to limit my movement. I will call (to the best of my ability) those I remember meeting during those crucial days so that I can inform them of my test result," Pimentel said.

"I have quarantined myself upon the doctor’s advice and consistent with the protocol. I feel I am, with God’s help, on the way to recovery," he added.

Pimentel confirmed that he was with his wife at the hospital when he learned about the test result. Kathryna was due to give birth on Wednesday, March 25, but because of the development, her delivery date was postponed.

"I received the call from RITM when I was already in the hospital last night hence I left immediately," he said.

As he went into self-isolation, Pimentel asked for prayers, especially for his wife.

"I would like to ask for your prayers, especially for my wife Kath, who is about to give birth in the next few days to our first baby girl, and with whom I cannot be at this very important point in our lives as parents," the senator said.

He also urged the public to observe physical distance and the enhanced community quarantine, as well as exercise good hygiene.

Pimentel was not able to attend the special session on Monday, March 23, when the Senate approved the law granting Duterte special powers to deal with the pandemic.

Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri was the first senator to test positive for COVID-19 on March 16.

Zubiri was among the 12 senators who went into self-quarantine after Senators Sherwin Gatchalian and Nancy Binay announced they would go into self-quarantine beginning March 11, after learning that one of the resource persons in a March 5 Senate hearing tested positive for the COVID-19. Gatchalian and Binay tested negative for the disease.

Pimentel was among the senators who said they would work from home beginning March 12.

At the time, two weeks ago, there were 49 patients who tested positive with COVID-19 in the Philippines, two of whom died.

As of Tuesday, March 24, the Philippines had 552 confirmed cases of coronavirus, with 33 deaths and 20 recoveries.

Comments

• hellraiser2.hellraiser2. Registered User PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

THIS JUST IN:

Doctors at the Makati Medical Center are now discussing the case of a certain public official who knew he was a COVID-19 PUI (eventual laboratory ...confirmed case) yet went on to accompany his pregnant wife to the hospital, hiding information and even toured the MMC OB area exposing several other patients, newborns, the immuno compromised as well as doctors, OB’s, nurses and staff to the deadly virus.

RA 11332. You are required to provide TRUTHFUL INFORMATION about your condition and possible exposure. Also known as the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act.

Koko Pimentel slammed online for accompanying wife to hospital despite being PUI for COVID-19                                

Koko Pimentel, the second senator to test positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), was slammed online after he admitted accompanying his wife to the hospital on Tuesday night night despite being a person under investigation for the disease.

According to the senator, he took the COVID-19 test on Friday, and only received the results late on Tuesday evening, while he was in the hospital with his wife, Kathryna, who is due to give birth.

Netizens were quick to slam the senator for breaching quarantine guidelines and putting the lives of other people in danger knowing he could be a carrier of the disease.

As of writing, Koko Pimentel's name has appeared in over 13,000 tweets, topping Philippine Twitter trends.

Shame on you, Koko Pimentel! You put doctors and the sick in danger. A PUI not revealing his status was the reason a doctor died a few days ago. How can our senators be so callous, irresponsbible and self-centered? Disgusting!

• hsusonhsuson Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    [email protected]!NA MO KOKO >:(
  • _knorr__knorr_ 2017 Person of the Year PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Image may contain text
    .                                            .
  • Plantation BoyPlantation Boy Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited March 25

49 confirmed cases some 2 weeks ago, now it's 636!
    And that's with the lockdown.

Are we looking at 6000 cases in the next two weeks?
    And people are getting stressed.
    _knorr_ said:
    Image may contain text
  • Koko is a terrible senator. imagine a few years from now, Bato and/or Bong Go like this.

people need to stop voting people like this.
  • Juan Plus OneJuan Plus One Pexer of the Year! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

49 confirmed cases some 2 weeks ago, now it's 636!
    And that's with the lockdown.

Are we looking at 6000 cases in the next two weeks?
    And people are getting stressed.
    _knorr_ said:
    Image may contain text

The lockdown was two months too late.

The virus are already spreading.  It will spread within the barangays, towns, cities, provinces and regions.

Yes, it is stressful for the common people, but for the politicians and the well connected?   No, they have access to everything and will be the first in line.

Palace defends Pimentel amid COVID-19 scare

Malacañang on Wednesday night defended Senator Koko Pimentel from critics for accompanying his wife, Kathryna Yu-Pimentel to the Makati Medical Center’s delivery room despite allegedly knowing he is COVID-19 positive.

In a phone interview, Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said that if Pimentel already knew that he is already positive with the virus, he himself won’t risk the life of his own wife and still unborn child by going to the hospital.

“I think it’s not his fault because one, his wife will be giving birth and two, he did not know yet that he was positive of the disease,” said Panelo in a telephone interview with Daily Tribune

“If he’s not aware that he has symptoms of the virus, how can you blame him?” he added.

The Palace official also said that the Palace is giving the senator the benefit of the doubt with regards to his actions.

Earlier, Pimentel refuted the allegations that he called up Health Secretary Francisco Duque III when MMC denied to admit them in the hospital as Mrs. Pimentel is scheduled to give birth on Wednesday morning.

“I talked to Secretary Duque this morning, March 25, 2020 and he just asked me about my situation. By that time, I have already checked my wife Kath in the hospital since yesterday 6-7 p.m., March 24 2020,” Koko said in a text message.

“Hence, Sec. Duque has and had nothing to do with our getting a room and any room at the hospital. The good secretary was informed of my situation apparently by my sister,” he added.

Note that I didn't transcribe the questions anymore because the director's answers provide more than enough context.

*****START*****

'It’s true that the senator (Senator Koko Pimentel) and the wife went to Makati Med last night. Totoo po iyon. The wife had some tests in the delivery room complex. The complex is composed of the actual delivery room, the examination room, and the foyer. That part, talagang napuntahan ng wife and the senator. We have those on CCTV.

What I can gather also from all the reports and news press that came out today, as early as March 11, there has been a report of a resource speaker in one of their sessions na nag-positive po sa COVID-19, tama po ba attorney?

Even during that time, even Senator Binay and Senator Gatchalian went on quarantine already.

Sa akin po iyon e signal na he should already do something. March 14, the good senator already had body pains similar to flu symptoms.

March 16, nag-announce na po si Senator Zubiri that he is positive. Kung kayo ay may colleague na nag-positibo, dapat po siguro ay lalo tayong mag-ingat, di ba?

And true enough, March 20, the senator had himself tested as on record. When you have yourself tested, you’re gearing towards a positive result or a negative result. And therefore, to be very safe, you want to err on the safer side, mag-iingat na po tayo ng todo, you implement very strict home quarantine protocols.

He did not that. He even went to Makati Medical and violated home quarantine. Iyon pong home quarantine, ina-advocate po yan sa lahat ng mga taong na-expose sa isang positive patient. Ang tawag namin diyan ay person under monitoring. Pag iyon pong PUM ay nagkaroon ng flu-like symptoms, fever, anything, aakyat po ang category niyan to PUI.

PUI na po si senator by the time he went to Makati Med. That is already on record kasi mayroon na po siyang nararamdaman. It’s no longer a matter of getting the result which they claim they got on the evening of March 24. The fact that he had symptoms, and he’s a PUM, nagging PUI na po siya. Dapat, mas lalong pag-iingat.

The news that they were in Makati Med is true, that they entered the complex. Hindi po iyong actual delivery room. Immaterial na po kung yung delivery room or hindi because we do have technicians and people doing the tests in the adjacent… doon po sa katabing examination room and even the foyer.

Naturally, the people who have been exposed in that area will be moving around the complex.

Nag-contact tracing po kami kaya medyo natagalan po kami bago makapaglabas ng statement. Iyon pong pag-contact tracing will also determine kung ano po ba ang level ng inyong risk of exposure. Kung napakalapit niyo po sa senator or sa wife or medyo malayo, kung kayo po’y naka-mask or hindi.

We have been able to track all of those. Meron pong kailangang i-home quarantine. Meron namang very minimal exposure, magtratrabaho po iyan pero naka-mask. So I want to assure the public, iyon pong delivery room area, yung foyer, yung examination room, have been adequately disinfected and ready for use anytime.

Roughly po mga six to eight people (were in close contact) but we also go beyond those six and eight people, iyong mga nakausap non, we also have to track. But iyong immediate ones who were exposed to him, mga iyon po ang bilang namin.

*****END*****

A highly educated person but obviously not smart.   

End of his political career. 

This guy is done, but knowing how dumb some voters in the Philippines.  He may stay in power...unfortunately.
    Pumunta din si [email protected] sa S&R grocery 

:s 
  • laarnilaarni Pang-asar PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    He exposed hundreds of people. Good grief. This is going to explode in two weeks.

• use your Kokote.....kundi PATAY!
  • TrollmasterTrollmaster PEx Rookie ⭐
    Mas maganda daw magkahawaan na tayong lahat parang EQUAL TAYO     :rofl:  
    KOKO = Walang Utak
  • QT IIQT II Bee-doh bee-doh bee-doh bee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited March 27
    A highly educated person but obviously not smart.   

End of his political career. 

This guy is done, but knowing how dumb some voters in the Philippines.  He may stay in power...unfortunately.
    I bet Jewel May Lobaton must be laughing her @r$e off wherever in the world she is....
  • so hindi pa siya inaaresto?

kung pangkaraniwang tao yan, malamang naaresto na.
    Yung head ng DOJ, isa ring inutil.  May naikulong na ba yan na big time lawbreaker?

Dr Sally Gatchalian is one of the 9 doctors who died.

Image may contain 1 person text that says Vivian Velez 29 mins Follow Kokos contact tracing March 5 at Manny Pacquiaos residenceTh The lady in maroon front most left sitting down is Dr Sally Gathialian She died this morning March 26 from Covid 19 Koko in plaid shirt standing in the center with Joey Salceda Lucy Torres seated center

WATCH | Ang kakapal! Cayetano leads House, Cabinet in copying COVID frontliners’ sign

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file