COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Fantasy Island (2020)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

FANTASY ISLAND TRAILER WARNS OF WHAT YOU WISH FOR

Find out where fantasy ends. Watch the international trailer of the new horror thriller Fantasy Island now,  in Philippine cinemas 2020

In Blumhouse’s new spin on Fantasy Island, the enigmatic Mr. Roarke makes the secret dreams of his lucky guests come true at a luxurious but remote tropical resort. But when the fantasies turn into nightmares, the guests have to solve the island’s mystery in order to escape with their lives.

Directed by Jeff Wadlow, Fantasy Island is written by Jeff Wadlow & Chris Roach & Jillian Jacobs and is produced by Jason Blum and Marc Toberoff.

Based upon the Television Series Created by Gene Levitt.

Fantasy Island stars Michael Peña, Maggie Q, Lucy Hale, Austin Stowell, Portia Doubleday, Jimmy O. Yang, Ryan Hansen and Michael Rooker.

Fantasy Island is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  Use the hashtag #FantasyIslandMovie

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Brand new poster

DESIRES COME WITH A PRICE IN BLUMHOUSE’S FANTASY ISLAND

In Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island, any fantasy could come true… but fantasies come with a price.

In this terrifying suspense thriller, the enigmatic Mr. Roarke makes the secret dreams of his lucky guests come true at a luxurious and remote tropical resort. But when the fantasies become nightmares, the guests have to solve the island’s mystery in order to escape with their lives.

Directed by Jeff Wadlow, Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is written by Jeff Wadlow & Chris Roach & Jillian Jacobs and is produced by Jason Blum and Marc Toberoff.  Based upon the Television Series Created by Gene Levitt.

The film stars Michael Peña, Maggie Q, Lucy Hale, Austin Stowell, Portia Doubleday, Jimmy O. Yang, Ryan Hansen and Michael Rooker.

We all have our fantasies. Maybe we picture ourselves on a beautiful tropical island where anything is possible. Or to live out a life we never quite got the chance to experience. Or to make something right that we regret from our past. Or maybe it’s something darker… something we’d never act out in real life but can only imagine making real.

At the center of the movie is the enigmatic Mr. Roarke (Peña), the white-suited steward of an island where fantasies come to life. He has welcomed the island’s guests, all with distinct fantasies, to come to the island where they will live out their dreams, but also with the promise and the warning: the results may not be what was intended.

“It’s the ultimate wish-fulfillment movie,” says producer Jason Blum, whose Blumhouse label has brought horror fans some of the top movies in the genre. “The idea of going to a magical place where all of your fantasies come true – and things go very wrong – that’s very ripe for a thriller.”

For Blum, the movie fits squarely into the Blumhouse oeuvre. “The reason this is a Blumhouse film is that we try to focus on character and drama and story – anything scary is organic to the storytelling and to the dramatic arcs of the characters. When fans go to see Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island, they’re going to see this situation that – except for the island where wishes come true – feels very grounded, it feels very real. And because of that, it feels much scarier.”

Director-screenwriter Jeff Wadlow says that he hopes people have fun seeing the dark fantasies play out as if the audience was orchestrating the fantasies themselves. “We are presenting a narrative that has an awareness that we are intentionally putting the characters through a gauntlet, an ordeal that will force them to grow and change and experience their fantasies in a way that they weren’t expecting,” he says. “I hope that the audience enjoys that process and with a little bit of glee, watching these people learn their lesson.”

In Philippine cinemas February 12, Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International. 

• QT IIQT II Bee-doh bee-doh bee-doh bee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    So no little-person butler welcoming visitors with "De plane, de plane"!!!

MICHAEL PENA  IS THE ICONIC MR. ROARKE IN

BLUMHOUSE’S FANTASY ISLAND

At the center of the new suspense thriller Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is the enigmatic Mr. Roarke, the white-suited steward of an island where fantasies come to life. He has welcomed the island’s guests, all with distinct fantasies, to come to the island where they will live out their dreams, but also with the promise and the warning: the results may not be what was intended.

Michael Peña, last seen in the live-action film Dora and the Lost City of Gold, plays Mr. Roarke. He was also recently in Clint Eastwood's The Mule and the critically acclaimed anthology series Narcos: Mexico on Netflix.

“What I love about what Michael Peña did with the role is that he feels both contemporary and timeless. I can’t think of another actor who could have pulled that off,” says director Jeff Wadlow. “We wanted to keep him in the shadows at first, to make him feel mysterious and elusive, then over the course of the film, pull back the layers and play with the audience’s understanding of Roarke – sometimes he’s funny, sometimes he’s sinister, sometimes he’s curt, sometimes he’s overly formal. There’s a large section of the film where the audience might wonder if Roarke is malevolent, that he somehow wants bad things to happen to these people. They’ll be asking, hopefully, ‘Why would he want that, is he trying to teach them a hard lesson?’ We always want to keep the audience on their toes and keep them wondering, what is this guy’s deal?”

Wadlow also notes that for much of the film, Roarke’s relationship with the island is opaque. “Is the island his, or is he part of the island? I think that relationship starts to become significant as the film progresses. We begin to question the power dynamic as the island starts to manifest as a character itself.”

“Roarke is on his own journey with Fantasy Island,” says Peña. “He has one particular rule, which is to see each fantasy through to its natural conclusion. And he warns that fantasies often do not play out the way they are envisioned. Throughout, it’s not clear – what is Roarke’s relationship to the island. Who is the true orchestrator of the fantasies, Roarke or the island itself? Is Roarke the island’s steward, like he claims – or does he control the island? Or is he actually part of the island, a manifestation of it?”

Peña says that he couldn’t help but take some inspiration from Ricardo Montalbán’s legendary portrayal of Mr. Roarke in the original TV series from which the movie was based. “That performance is so cemented in my imagination, in my recollection, my memories,” he says.

Part of the reason for that cementation, Peña notes, is perhaps that he is an American of Mexican descent and looked to Montalbán, a Mexican actor, in solidarity. “I did it just a little bit like he did – it’s not an imitation, it’s a personalization of things that he did. Number one was the accent, with Montalbán being Mexican. I had just finished doing ‘Narcos,’ where I spent eight months in Mexico City; it’s a very distinct accent that they have – a Spanish accent when they speak English – that I found fascinating.”

In Philippine cinemas February 12, Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  

LUCY HALE, MAGGIE Q HAVE SECRET DREAMS IN

BLUMHOUSE’S FANTASY ISLAND

Maggie Q (Divergent, Mission: Impossible III) and Lucy Hale (Truth or Dare, TV’s Pretty Little Liars) play characters in a quest to fulfill their fantasies in Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island (in Philippine cinemas February 12.)

In the film, the enigmatic Mr. Roarke (Michael Pena) makes the secret dreams of his lucky guests come true at a luxurious and remote tropical resort. But when the fantasies become nightmares, the guests have to solve the island’s mystery in order to escape with their lives.

“You want the plot to illuminate character, and this film has such a clean device to do that,” director Jeff Wadlow says – the characters literally get to say what they want and how they expect it to play out. “Just the expression of that fantasy reveals character. As storytellers, we’ve tried to be clever with how those fantasies unfold. We reveal more about the character, test the character, and force them to grow and change as they confront some twisted version of their fantasy.”

In strong contrast to the others, Gwen Olsen, played by Maggie Q, has a fantasy that right from the beginning seems deeper and full of regret. “Gwen has a lot of questions about paths not taken,” says Wadlow. “I think that’s something we can all relate to – what if I made a different choice, what if I could change this moment. What’s interesting about her character is that at first, she can’t quite pin down what that moment is. We all wonder what our lives would look like if we made different choices, but if I said you could just change one thing, what would it be, I think people would have to wrestle with that.”

“Gwen has these moments from her past where she feels like her life may have passed her by,” says Maggie Q. “She didn’t grab happiness when she had the chance, and now she has a lot of regret. Her fantasy is about being able to get a do-over, to live out her life the other way. But the real reasons for her regret go even deeper, and she’ll have to get to the root of it as her fantasy plays out.”

“Gwen really grounds the movie – she’s a character with real emotional depth, which is always fun to play,” the actress continues. “Right from the beginning, your heart breaks for her, and you want to see her get the life of happiness and peace that we all deserve – and she has to go through a hell of a journey if that’s going to happen.”

Lucy Hale of CW’s Katy Keene and star of Wadlow’s Blumhouse hit Truth or Dare, plays Melanie Cole, whose fantasy at first seems straightforward. “Melanie is hiding some old wounds from her past,” she explains. “She comes to the island because she wants revenge on a childhood bully.”

And that fantasy comes to terrifying life when that bully – Sloane Maddison, played by Portia Doubleday – is suddenly before her, with Melanie at the controls. “Melanie just wanted to feel what it's like to get revenge, but then she realizes that they've actually brought her nemesis to the island and what’s happening is real. As soon as she realizes that, she tries to put a stop to it.”

In Philippine cinemas February 12, Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  Connect with #FantasyIslandMovie

THE MEN OF “FANTASY ISLAND” SHARE THEIR EXTREME WISHES

Joining Michael Pena, Lucy Hale and Maggie Q in Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island are three talented actors who round-up the principal cast: Ryan Hansen (Central Intelligence, CHiPs), Jimmy O. Yang (Crazy Rich Asians) and Austin Stowell (Bridge of Spies, Whiplash, 12 Strong).

In the film, the enigmatic Mr. Roarke (Pena) makes the secret dreams of his lucky guests come true at a luxurious and remote tropical resort. But when the fantasies become nightmares, the guests have to solve the island’s mystery in order to escape with their lives.

As director-writer Jeff Wadlow and his writing partners, Chris Roach and Jillian Jacobs, began to plot out what they wanted the movie to be, the first step (natch) was to start fantasizing. “We listed the kind of fantasies you would expect – sure, we had the deep, emotional ones, but we also had the fun, superficial fantasies. And we kept in mind that the fantasies were going to be realized, but they were never going to come to fruition exactly the way that you expected. In fact, we made a point of telling the guests and the audience that up front – so we’re not trying to trick anybody in that respect.”

Perhaps the seemingly shallowest of the fantasies is JD’s (Hansen), who has brought his adopted brother, Brax (Yang), to Fantasy Island to share his wish “to have it all.” They are almost immediately introduced to a wild and luxurious rave, surrounded by beautiful people.

“They fantasize about this baller lifestyle, ‘to have it all,’ but the truth of it is that they already had it all, which was a real connection, a real relationship, a real familial bond that they would quite literally give up their lives for,” says Wadlow.

Yang says that he was excited to join the party. “Of course, I’d heard of the show, and in the research for this, I watched a whole bunch of episodes and it’s a very cool show.

Really reminds me of ‘The Twilight Zone’ and all the great fantasies gone awry. Now we’re making a really cool version of that with a Blumhouse twist – adding the Blumhouse thriller to it.”

Austin Stowell plays Patrick Sullivan, a cop who’s always daydreamed of meeting his father, who died in combat.

But like the others, Patrick soon discovers that his fantasy goes much deeper than he was expecting. “It’s a childlike fantasy to get to run around and play with guns and shoot the bad guys, but that quickly evolves,” says Stowell. “These are real people dealing with regret and having the one chance to reverse it and come to terms with the events of their past. It’s a scary film, but it’s also incredibly relatable.”

Now playing in cinemas nationwide, Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.  Connect with #FantasyIslandMovie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file