COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Chinese ‘naval warship’ harasses Filipino-crewed ship near Scarborough Shoal

buddywbuddyw Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Chinese ‘naval warship’ harasses Filipino-crewed ship near Scarborough Shoal

A Chinese vessel that introduced itself as a “naval warship” harassed a Filipino-crewed commercial ship near Scarborough Shoal in the West Philippine Sea on September 30, the ship’s captain Manolo Ebora told Rappler on Wednesday, October 30. JC Gotinga reports

In an exclusive video released by Rappler which was also shared in the Juan Luna Blog page as a ”Watch Party” showing the incident from September 30, 2019 where a Greek owned oil-tanker ”Green Aura” bound for China from Thailand commandeered by a Filipino whose name is  Capt. Manolo Ebora were harassed by Chinese warships within Philippine waters and arrogantly demanded that they change their course

Why should I alter my course? Is this Chinese territory?

Capt. Manolo Ebora repeatedly inquired from the Chinese Coast Guard as to why they have been trying to regulate his passage if he knows full well that he is in Philippine waters and of course prior he already confirmed from the Philippine Naval Station that he is indeed entering Philippine territorial waters. So of course – he knows that under International Law, these commercial shipping lanes legitimately belong to the Philippines under its Exclusive Economic Zone.

Why did he know this? Because the standard Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) shows that this ‘Scarborough Shoal’ is administrated by the Philippine government and not China’s new name Huangyan Dao.  He even told the Chinese radio operator that this could not have been controlled by China since this was in fact, even closer to the Philippines than in China’s southernmost province.

But his question of ”Is this Chinese territory” were met with an awkward silence and then just several seconds later, another operator started yapping about what seemed to be a standard spiel stating that ”Scarborough Shoal is under the jurisdiction of the Chinese government” but not directly answering his question of whether this is under Chinese territory. So it sounds Orwellian double-speak to me. Perhaps, China’s own way of vague way of imposing territorial control over these seas within Philippine EEZ without actually directly admitting it.

He even confessed that he couldn’t even sleep after the incident since he was worried that they may be reported to the Chinese authorities and they may well be detained or taken prisoner by the despotic Chinese Communist Party in mainland China which is where they are headed. Fortunately, that didn’t happen and that after staying in China for a couple of days – he was back in the Philippines again and along with it the opportunity to speak up and show the video recording about the incident.

He also mentioned that though they were afraid, but they were happy with what they did and in fact — proud to be a Filipino. Who wouldn’t? If ever I’d have the opportunity to yell at Chinese military thugs through a radio call. I’d be a bit more rough and blunt about this. But anyway – what he did was right, although not necessary for his job but did hell of a better job than our current government.

Comments

• gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

buti pa yun simpleng Pilipino may tapang lumaban sa mga Chinese Invaders ...... habang ang Presidente ay isang TuTa.

• hsusonhsuson Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Du30 sold his soul to the Chinese years ago.
  • knorrknorr 8anned by Abmin PExer

.                                                 .

• buddywbuddyw Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Defense chief: PH should stay mum on China’s blocking of Filipino-manned ship in Scarborough

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 2) — Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said there is no need for the Philippines to comment on China’s shooing off of a Filipino-manned ship in Scarborough Shoal in September.

“I believe that the Philippines need not say anything more because the Liberian ship was able to continue its journey without being harassed or impeded,” Lorenzana told CNN Philippines on Sunday.

M/T Green Aura, a Liberian-flagged ship owned by Greek shipping company Aegean Shipping, was swarmed by at least four Chinese vessels on September 30, with one of the vessels identifying itself as a “Chinese Navy warship.” This is according to M/T Green Aura’s captain Manolo Ebora, who said the Chinese Navy warship told them to change course because the area is “Chinese territory.”

Photos of M/T Green Aura’s Electronic Chart Display and Information System sent to CNN Philippines by Ebora show at least four Chinese ships surrounding the oil tanker, with China Coast Guard 3302 getting nearest to it.

A back-and-forth between the Chinese vessel and Ebora over radio ensued, with the former insisting that the area is Chinese territory and the Filipino captain asserting he has the right to innocent passage.

Pinanindigan ko na hindi ‘yan sa inyo at saka wala namang nakalagay doon sa chart na bawal ako dumaan, so bakit ako pagbabawalan?” Ebora told CNN Philippines on Saturday.

[Translation: I insisted that the area is not theirs and nothing in the chart said I cannot pass through, so why am I being barred from passing?]

At one point, Ebora told the Chinese vessel that he “thinks” the area they are passing through is Philippine territory. Beijing’s ship later responded in Chinese that the area is Beijing’s.

Ebora said one of the ships also tried blocking M/T Green Aura’s passage, while two more ships criss-crossed the Liberian-flagged oil tanker.

The Chinese ship eventually relented and let M/T Green Aura pass, Ebora said, after which he returned the ship to its original course.

Ebora said he reported the incident to the Philippine Navy, but has not heard any updates from them since.

Sabi ko medyo na-bully ako. Kinakabahan ako kasi puro kami Pilipino dahil nakipagsagutan nga ako, at saka … sinagot-sagot kong, ‘Hindi ‘yan sa inyo eh! I think sa Pilipinas ‘yan,’” he said. “‘Yung Navy, sabi ni-report na nila. Kasi bumalik ‘yung video na ni-report na nila sa intel ng Philippine Navy, pero up until ngayon wala naman akong nabalitaan.”

[Translation: I said I was kind of bullied. I was afraid since we were all Filipinos and I talked back, telling them, ‘That’s not yours! I think that’s the Philippines’’ … The Navy said they reported it. The video came back and they reported it to the Philippine Navy’s intelligence, but up until now I haven’t heard anything.]

CNN Philippines is reaching out to the Philippine Navy and Aegean Shipping for comment.

The Foreign Affairs department, meanwhile, said it will “verify the facts of the incident then relevant offices will make the appropriate recommendations.”

China and the Philippines have overlapping territorial claims in an area of the South China Sea which Manila calls the West Philippine Sea.

Included in these areas is Scarborough Shoal, which the Philippines controlled until 2013 when Manila’s ships pulled out following a Washington-brokered deal with China to break up a standoff with Beijing in the area.

The agreement should have seen both Manila and Beijing’s ship withdrawing from Scarborough, but Beijing remained and has since controlled the area.

Beijing’s territorial claims over virtually the entire South China Sea largely rests on its supposedly historical nine-dash line, which the Hague-based international tribunal established by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) has nullified in a historic award in 2013.

China, despite being a party to UNCLOS, still ignores the award to this day and refused to budge from its position even after President Rodrigo Duterte finally raised it with Chinese President Xi Jinping in August.

Duterte said he told Xi he was not satisfied with his response, but would no longer press on the issue, considering that the Chinese leader was “under stress” because of the Hong Kong protests.

‘PH can protest’

Despite Lorenzana wanting the Philippines to keep mum about the incident, international relations experts Lucio Pitlo and Robin Garcia told CNN Philippines that Manila can raise it with Beijing and even lodge a diplomatic protest.

“If the attempt to block transit or passage was established, appropriate actions can be taken, ranging from summoning the Chinese Embassy in Manila for an explanation, raising the matter in official bilateral channels or even filing a diplomatic protest depending on the circumstances of the case,” Pitlo said.

He added that the Philippines can raise the issue with China if it found cause that Chinese government vessels attempted to restrict navigational rights for commercial traffic in its exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Panatag Shoal lies 118 nautical miles west of Zambales province and is within the Philippines’ 200-nautical mile EEZ.

For Garcia, Manila should “forcefully” raise the incident at its next consultation meeting on the South China Sea with Beijing.

“Why do these incidents happen, and that while we may be open to some sort of compromise, we should not allow this from happening,” he said.

Pitlo and Garcia added that the reported presence of a Chinese warship in Philippine waters is a cause for concern.

“Previous incidents featured confrontations from Chinese fishermen who may or may not be representatives of the Chinese state. This incident is clear: a Chinese naval ship representing the Chinese government,” Garcia said.

He also said that the Philippines is “negotiating with miscalculated fear” as China has either dropped or relented to the demands of other claimants in many of its territorial disputes since 1949.

This is not the first time that a Chinese warship was spotted in Philippine waters. At least nine Chinese warships have sailed in Philippine waters since February, with some of these ships failing to inform local authorities or even deliberately turning off their navigation systems to evade detection.

Manila has protested their presence several times.

Show of concern

M/T Green Aura had been at sea for four days and was heading to Longkou, China from Nong Yao, Thailand when Ebora decided to steer off course and moved into Scarborough Shoal, known locally as Panatag Shoal, supposedly to verify the presence of Chinese there.

Ebora, a Philippine Navy reservist, said he wanted to show his concern for China’s incursions into Philippine waters.

Gusto ko lang dikitan ‘yung Scarborough para alam ko ‘yung sitwasyon doon kasi nababalitaan ko na nandoon ‘yung mga presence ng [Chinese] Navy na kinakamkam ‘yung mga isla,” he said.

[Translation: I just want to get close to Scarborough so I know the situation there because I got word of the presence of Chinese Navy there that have been claiming islands.]

But Pitlo said Ebora’s narration of events raises some questions.

“If it was a commercial vessel from Thailand bound to China, is passing by Scarborough Shoal the most expeditious route to take? Where did he get the report and should he, as captain of a foreign commercial vessel, be doing the verification in the first place? Should he not have contacted Philippine Coast Guard or Philippine Navy to do that since that is their mandate?” Pitlo said.

But Ebora said he can pass through any sea route, citing the right to innocent passage.

Bakit ako ipagbabawal? Kahit saan ako dumaan, kahit sa north o sa south, wala dapat magbawal sa akin kasi commercial vessel naman ako,” he said.

[Translation: Why would I not be allowed to pass? I should be able to pass through anywhere — either in the north or in the south — no one should bar me because I am manning a commercial vessel.]

He added, “Medyo masakit sa akin kasi nabanggit ko nga roon, sariling bahay mo, tataboy ka, sarili mong pagkain para sa mangingisda, kinukuha ng iba. Tapos ‘yung sarili mong teritoryo, ‘di ka padaanin.

[Translation: It hurts me a bit, like I said, you will be shooed away from your own house, your own food for fishermen would be taken away by someone else. And you won’t even be allowed to pass in your own territory.]

^Mga DUWAG

:D 
  • lechon xlechon x Olats PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Panelo says harassment of Pinoy-crewed ship near Scarborough Shoal does not concern PHL

The Chinese Coast Guard's harassment of a crude oil tanker manned by Filipino crewmen off Scarborough Shoal (Panatag Shoal) last month does not concern the Philippines because the ship was not a Philippine vessel, Malacañang said Sunday.

On September 30, the Filipino captain of the tanker Green Aura said that they were harassed by a Chinese vessel that introduced itself as a “naval warship” as they sailed near the shoal, which is well within the Philippines’ 200-nautical mile Exclusive Economic Zone.

“In a way, it does not concern us because it’s not a Philippine vessel,” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said at a press conference in Thailand following the 35th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit. “For as long as they do not touch a Philippine ship or vessel, it will be the concern of that country that carries the flag of that particular vessel.”

Panelo added that the incident will have no effect on talks to draft a Code of Conduct regarding the highly disputed South China Sea.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana earlier said the incident must not be “blown out of proportion or sensationalized,” but urged the Chinese government to “respect international maritime laws.”

Panelo said China should agree with Lorenzana’s statement because “China itself says that we should respect international law.”

Claims over Scarborough

According to Captain Manolo Ebora of the Green Aura oil tanker, which is Greek-owned and bears the flag of Liberia, they were within 12 nautical miles of Scarborough Shoal when they received a radio call from a Chinese vessel asking them to keep away from the shoal.

Ebora defied the coast guard's order and the ship continued on its way. 

A landmark ruling in 2016 by the Permanent Court of Arbitration invalidated China’s “nine-dash line” claim over many parts of the South China Sea. 

The same ruling also stated that the Scarborough Shoal is “a traditional fishing ground for fishermen of many nationalities and that China has unlawfully prevented Filipino fishermen from engaging in traditional fishing thereat.”

^Isa pa tong Butiking DUWAG 

:lol:
  • _knorr__knorr_ 2017 Person of the Year PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

.                                                            .
  • bathousaibathousai D. Ainge I Lab u na nga! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

tapang ng indonesia, pres. widodo....."absolutely no negotiations when it comes to sovereignty."
  • bathousaibathousai D. Ainge I Lab u na nga! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    may gyera na ba indonesia at china?lol

yung mga duwag laging "di natin kaya china sa gyera...marami mamamatay gusto mo ba yon?"....komo pumalag ka sa china gyera agad.lol
    DU30 DUWAG.

Widodo MATAPANG.

.                                             .
    _knorr_ said:

.                                             .
    The same China Coast Guard ships that block Pinoys from the Scarborough Shoal.

Mga Traitors talaga.

.                                                   .
  • hellraiser2.hellraiser2. Registered User PEx Rookie ⭐

As China Coast Guard docks in Manila for 'goodwill' visit, one of its ships goes 'back and forth' near Ayungin

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 15) — The Chinese Coast Guard made its presence felt in Philippine-occupied Ayungin Shoal even as its commandant leads what is billed as a goodwill visit in Manila.

This was the observation of Ryan Martinson, assistant professor of the China Maritime Studies Institute at the US Naval War College, who has been monitoring developments in the disputed South China Sea.

In response to CNN Philippines' tweet on the arrival honors accorded to Chinese Coast Guard's Director General Maj. Gen. Wang Zhongcai in Manila, Martinson posted a map tracking the "back and forth" movement of Beijing's Zhongguohaijing 5402 in Ayungin, internationally known as Second Thomas Shoal.

"The Philippines rolls out the red carpet for the Commander of the China Coast Guard. Meanwhile, a China Coast Guard ship steams back and forth, menacing Philippine Marines posted at Second Thomas Shoal," Martinson said.

Ayungin, a submerged reef west of Palawan, is part of the Philippines' 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone, to which only Manila has sovereign rights. This is the ruling of an international tribunal backed by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague which China rejects. The East Asian giant continues to claim almost the entire South China Sea as its own, including Ayungin, which it calls Ren’ai Jiao.

The dilapidated BRP Sierra Madre has served as the Philippines' outpost in Ayungin since 1999, after China occupied nearby Mischief Reef. Known in the Philippines as Panganiban Reef, Mischief is China's biggest outpost in the disputed Spratlys, but the arbitral ruling said it is also part of the Philippines' EEZ and continental shelf.

The Philippines' Defense Department has said China has been regularly deploying at least one Coast Guard ship to Ayungin Shoal, apparently to monitor Philippine activities in the area.

In October last year, the Department of Foreign Affairs protested the presence of a Chinese Coast Guard vessel four to five nautical miles from Ayungin. A month before that, defense officials reported that a Chinese Coast Guard ship had blocked three Philippine civilian vessels in Ayungin.

Meanwhile, the Chinese Coast Guard's Vessel 5204 is on a week-long port call in Manila until January 17 for exploratory talks and joint exercises with the Philippines. Admiral Joel Garcia, commandant of the Philippine Coast Guard, said talking to China is the only solution to the long-standing maritime dispute

• kalyesh!tekalyesh!te IYAKIN PEx Rookie ⭐

Not our fault: DND chief defends public backlash over China Coast Guard goodwill visit

NO ONE TO BLAME BUT CHINA: Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said Thursday he understood why the Filipino public had reacted negatively about the China Coast Guard's goodwill visit to the Philippines.

"Alam mo naman, spillover 'yan ng mga ginawa nila no'ng 2016 and earlier, binully-bully tayo d'yan,” he said at the sidelines during the change of command of the Philippine Air Force. “So it’s an understandable feeling of the Filipinos.”

(You know, it's a spillover from what they had done in 2016 and for bullying us.)

Comments made online were mostly critical, condemning both the China and Philippine Coast Guard—the former for visiting while still demanding ownership of the West Philippine Sea, and the latter for rolling out the red carpet for their counterpart and adversary. 

Retired Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio also condemned the visit, saying it was tantamount to the Philippines condoning all the aggression that the China Coast Guard had applied on Filipino fishers and government vessels in the West Philippine Sea.

Lorenzana said there was no one else to blame for these reactions but China itself. 

“According to the survey about 85 percent of Filipinos distrust the Chinese. So ‘di natin kasalanan na 'yan. Sila ang gumawa ng gano'n,” he said. “Ang akin [negative public reaction] is very normal and understandable.”

(According to the survey about 85 percent of Filipinos distrust the Chinese. It's not our fault. They're to blame.)

Lorenzana also found nothing irregular in reports that another China Coast Guard vessel was spotted making back and forth movements along Ayungin Shoal on the day the China Coast Guard ship 5204 was arriving in Manila.

Ayungin is one of the 9 island detachments maintained by the Philippine military in the West Philippine Sea, which is close to Mischief Reef—one of China’s militarized artificial islands.

“Palagi naman sila nando'n sa Ayungin eh. 'Yong atin namang mga fishermen ay nakakapag-fishing sa paligid ng Ayungin. I don't see the problem there," he said.

(They always frequent Ayungin. Our fishers are allowed to fish there. I don't see the problem there.)

Unlike in 2014, the tension in Ayungin Shoal had dissipated because of the warmer relations of both nations, he said.

"Nag-ease na nga 'yong tension sa Ayungin eh since 2016. Gumanda na ang ating relationship d'yan eh. Na-manage na natin," Lorenzana said.

(The tension in Ayungin has abated since 2016. Our relationship there [with China] has improved.)

Lorenzana sat down at the closed door meeting with the China Coast Guard led by CCG Director General, Major General Wang Zhongcai, and the Philippine Coast Guard led by Admiral Joel Garcia.

The defense chief, however, said that nothing concrete was discussed while he was there. It was more an exchange of pleasantries than a presentation of arguments.

“Nothing, nothing. Friendly visit lang talaga. Getting to know you,” said Lorenzana. “'Yon ay friendly visit para mapalapit 'yong ating Coast Guard from the 2 countries.”

(It was just a friendly visit so the Philippine Coast Guard will get to know their counterpart.)

Admiral Garcia earlier said they would talk about opening a “hotline of communication” between the 2 coast guards to avoid conflict at sea, and that the PCG would ask the CCG to stop driving fishers away. 

But Lorenzana said these matters would be threshed out during the formulation of the Code of Conduct in the West Philippine Sea—a set of protocol that all claimants in the South China Sea should agree to adhere to. 

China is pushing to finalize the Code of Conduct under the term of President Rodrigo Duterte, who has opted to take a friendlier stance with China.

Lorenzana said that like the Philippine Coast Guard, the China Coast Guard was merely following orders, too.

“Hindi naman siguro 'yon ang venue eh,” Lorenzana said of the goodwill visit. “Kasi alam mo 'yong mga coast guard nila, sumusunod lang din sa taas. Kaya nga importante na matapos natin 'yong Code of Conduct, para 'yan na ang ating magiging framework para ma-manage natin 'yong relationship sa EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) natin sa West Philippine Sea," he said.

(It was not the proper venue. The China Coast Guard was also following orders. That's why it's important to create a Code of Conduct, which will serve as our framework so we can manage our relationship in the EZZ in the West Philippine Sea.)

China Coast Guard’s goodwill visit end Friday, with the Philippine Coast Guard awarding customary departure honors through a passing exercise as the Chinese ship leaves the port.

The next time that both coast guards will meet again will be in the West Philippine Sea

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file