Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Richard Jewell

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

HERO BECOMES SUSPECT IN THE OFFICIAL “RICHARD JEWELL” TRAILER

Warner Bros. Pictures has just released the official trailer of “Richard Jewell,” directed by Clint Eastwood and based on true events.   The film tells the story of what happens when what is reported as fact obscures the truth.

Check out the trailer below and watch “Richard Jewell” in Philippine cinemas January 15, 2020.

“There is a bomb in Centennial Park.  You have thirty minutes.”  The world is first introduced to Richard Jewell as the security guard who reports finding the device at the 1996 Atlanta bombing—his report making him a hero whose swift actions save countless lives.  But within days, the law enforcement wannabe becomes the FBI’s number one suspect, vilified by press and public alike, his life ripped apart.  Reaching out to independent, anti-establishment attorney Watson Bryant, Jewell staunchly professes his innocence.  But Bryant finds he is out of his depth as he fights the combined powers of the FBI, GBI and APD to clear his client’s name, while keeping Richard from trusting the very people trying to destroy him.

The film stars Oscar winners Sam Rockwell (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”) as Watson Bryant and Kathy Bates (“Misery,” TV’s “American Horror Story”) as Richard’s mom, Bobi; Jon Hamm (“Baby Driver”) as the lead FBI investigator; Olivia Wilde (“Life Itself”) as Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Kathy Scruggs; and Paul Walter Hauser (“I, Tonya”) stars as Richard Jewell.

Oscar winner Eastwood directed from a screenplay by Oscar nominee Billy Ray (“Captain Phillips”), based on the Vanity Fair article “American Nightmare—The Ballad of Richard Jewell” by Marie Brenner.  Eastwood also produced under his Malpaso banner, alongside Tim Moore, Jessica Meier, Kevin Misher, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Davisson and Jonah Hill.

Eastwood’s creative team includes director of photography Yves Bélanger and production designer Kevin Ishioka, along with longtime costume designer Deborah Hopper and Oscar-winning editor Joel Cox (“Unforgiven”), who have worked with Eastwood throughout the years on numerous projects.  The music is by Arturo Sandoval, who scored 2018’s “The Mule.”

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents a Malpaso Production, an Appian Way/Misher Films/75 Year Plan Production, “Richard Jewell.”  The film will be distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.

Comments

• AquamanAquaman PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I was watching an interview with Janet Evans when the bomb went  off.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

AWARDS CONTENDER “RICHARD JEWELL” SHARES POSTER

The brand new poster for Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Richard Jewell” has just been released. Directed by Clint Eastwood and based on the true story of the 1996 Atlanta bombing, the film tells what happens when what is reported as fact obscures the truth.

Check out the poster below and watch “Richard Jewell” in Philippine cinemas January 15, 2020.

“There is a bomb in Centennial Park.  You have thirty minutes.”  The world is first introduced to Richard Jewell as the security guard who reports finding the device at the 1996 Atlanta bombing—his report making him a hero whose swift actions save countless lives.  But within days, the law enforcement wannabe becomes the FBI’s number one suspect, vilified by press and public alike, his life ripped apart.  Reaching out to independent, anti-establishment attorney Watson Bryant, Jewell staunchly professes his innocence.  But Bryant finds he is out of his depth as he fights the combined powers of the FBI, GBI and APD to clear his client’s name, while keeping Richard from trusting the very people trying to destroy him.

The film stars Oscar winners Sam Rockwell (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”) as Watson Bryant and Kathy Bates (“Misery,” TV’s “American Horror Story”) as Richard’s mom, Bobi; Jon Hamm (“Baby Driver”) as the lead FBI investigator; Olivia Wilde (“Life Itself”) as Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Kathy Scruggs; and Paul Walter Hauser (“I, Tonya”) stars as Richard Jewell.

Oscar winner Eastwood directed from a screenplay by Oscar nominee Billy Ray (“Captain Phillips”), based on the Vanity Fair article “American Nightmare—The Ballad of Richard Jewell” by Marie Brenner.  Eastwood also produced under his Malpaso banner, alongside Tim Moore, Jessica Meier, Kevin Misher, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Davisson and Jonah Hill.

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents a Malpaso Production, an Appian Way/Misher Films/75 Year Plan Production, “Richard Jewell.”  The film will be distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company. 

KATHY BATES WINS ACTING HONORS FOR “RICHARD JEWELL”

Legendary actress Kathy Bates (Misery, Dolores Claiborne) has been getting rave notices for her performance as the mother of real-life hero security guard-turned bombing suspect in Clint Eastwood’s “Richard Jewell.”

See a glimpse of Bates’ performance that critics are calling “a gutting centerpiece” in the clip below.

After winning the Best Supporting Actress prize from the National Board of Review (NBR), Bates has just received a Golden Globe Awards nomination in the same category.  

“Thank you HFPA for the recognition, I am so proud of this film and it was an honor to work with Mr. Eastwood on telling this important story,” Bates said in a statement after her nomination was announced by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) that hands out the Golden Globes. “I hope our film brings justice and peace to Richard and Bobi Jewell in telling their truth and honoring his heroism.”

Despite her long and respected career, this film marks Bates’ first at bat in an Eastwood movie.  “I have to say what really attracted me to the film was working with Clint, and the idea that I would finally get that opportunity was just amazing.”  

The actress reveals that the first thing she asked the storied director was, “‘Why did you want to make this movie?’  And the first thing he said to me was that it’s a movie he’d want to see.  He said he really felt it was a tragedy that this man was treated so badly by the FBI, that he was tricked when he went in to make this training film, which was all a ruse to get him to waive his Miranda rights.  That just astounded me.  I had known about the bombing, of course, but I had no idea how devastating it was for Richard Jewell and his mother.  And to read about that in the script was just absolutely horrifying.”

In Philippine cinemas January 15, “Richard Jewell” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  

CLINT EASTWOOD DIRECTS THE CAUTIONARY TALE OF “RICHARD JEWELL”

On July 27, 1996, in the middle of the Atlanta Olympics, security guard Richard Jewell discovers a suspicious backpack, hidden under a bench, that is soon found to contain an incendiary device.  With little time to spare, he helps evacuate the area, saving many lives and minimizing potential injuries.  He is hailed a hero.  But just three days later, the humble savior’s life unravels when he—and the world—learn he is the FBI’s prime suspect in the bombing.

Directed by Clint Eastwood, the suspense drama “Richard Jewell” centers around the events that forever made his name synonymous with that terrible act.

What might read as the makings of a suspense thriller are not the imaginings of a creative mind, but were, in fact, the life-shattering reality for the real Richard Jewell.  Ironically, thanks to his selfless act, for 88 days, Jewell lived with an invasive FBI investigation, public scrutiny spurred by unrelenting press coverage, and the uncertainty that his name would ever be cleared, or his life ever be the same.

Eastwood was intrigued enough to dramatize for the big screen the tragic story of this trusting man whose life was turned upside down by both the media and the law enforcement community he idolized.  “We often see stories about powerful people getting accused of something, but they have money, get the right attorney, and escape prosecution,” he says.  “I was interested in Richard Jewell’s story because he was the common man, the average person.  He was never prosecuted, but he was in every way persecuted.  There was this rush to judgment to accuse him, and he didn’t have any power to escape it and was, for a long time, too naively idealistic to see he needed to save himself.

“That’s why I wanted to make this picture,” he continues, “to restore Richard’s honor.  Because it’s the everyday guy—who wants to be a police officer, of all things, to devote himself to the betterment of mankind—who does this heroic thing and then pays a heavy price for it.  He gets thrown to the wolves.”

Whether or not the public at large is aware of Richard Jewell’s innocence, most today still refer to him as the Atlanta bomber, despite his having been cleared.  “People don’t put it together,” the director adds.  “They don’t connect that the real bomber showed up six years later, that he confessed, and that they got him.  I hope audiences learn that from this picture, but that they also learn that, as a society, we can do better.  If that’s a lesson Richard can give us, I think that’s great.  That’s a hero.”

Eastwood concludes, “This is a story that is both true, but also has suspense and somebody the audience can root for.”

“Richard Jewell” stars Oscar winners Sam Rockwell (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”) as Watson Bryant and Kathy Bates (“Misery,” TV’s “American Horror Story”) as Richard’s mom, Bobi; Jon Hamm (“Baby Driver”) as the lead FBI investigator; Olivia Wilde (“Life Itself”) as Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Kathy Scruggs; and Paul Walter Hauser (“I, Tonya”) as Richard Jewell.

In Philippine cinemas January 15, “Richard Jewell” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  

PAUL WALTER HAUSER PLAYS REAL-LIFE WRONGED MAN “RICHARD JEWELL”

The world is first introduced to Richard Jewell as the security guard who reports finding the device at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing—his quick thinking making him a hero whose swift actions save countless lives.  But within days, the law enforcement wannabe will become the FBI’s number one suspect, vilified in the court of public opinion, his life ripped apart.  

Directed by Clint Eastwood, the suspense drama “Richard Jewell” centers around the events that forever made his name synonymous with that terrible act.  

In the movie, the moment Richard is publicly named a suspect in the bombing, the media and the public are eager to jump on the bandwagon, despite a glaring lack of anything more than circumstantial evidence against him.  And while most people would innately jump to defend themselves, Richard, certain of his innocence and, more importantly, staunch in his beliefs in respecting the legal system, misplaces his trust in his accusers.

Paul Walter Hauser, who plays the titular role in the film, states, “It’s an underdog story in a sense.  Richard is a wannabe cop who has worked security and worked for a sheriff but has never really been respected the way he wants to be, the way he respects authority.  This moment—when he saves the lives of hundreds of people at the Centennial Park concert—starts out as a moment of glory.  He thinks he finally has earned that respect, though even then he remains self-effacing.  But in a dark twist of fate, he’s put on the chopping block instead.  Things go from bad to worse very quickly because he refuses to believe the police and the FBI won’t clear him, simply because he knows he’s not guilty.

“As an actor,” he continues, “I liked that the script showed the ins and outs of the investigation, the unconscionable way he was treated, and redemption for this one man who had his entire life altered, if not ruined, by those tragic circumstances.”

Along with wanting to tell Jewell’s side of the story, the actor was also eager to take the role because, he says, “I’ve always wanted to work with Clint Eastwood, and now, having done so, I can see why actors love him.  He’s charming, he’s smart, and he knows what movie he’s making.  He has a vision, for sure.  He’s the boss, you look to him for any and all points of wisdom, collaboration and insight.  But at the same time, he gives you a long leash, he wants you to interpret your character.  And he really trusts you in a grand way that I felt very honored by.”

Eastwood remarks, “I’ve been lucky to have a few films along the way where everything fell into place, and Paul was born to play this role.  He’s a terrific actor.  He got his demeanor down, and portrayed Richard as the hardworking, ingenious guy he was.”

“Richard Jewell” stars Oscar winners Sam Rockwell (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”) as Watson Bryant and Kathy Bates (“Misery,” TV’s “American Horror Story”) as Richard’s mom, Bobi; Jon Hamm (“Baby Driver”) as the lead FBI investigator; Olivia Wilde (“Life Itself”) as Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Kathy Scruggs; and Paul Walter Hauser (“I, Tonya”) as Richard Jewell.

In Philippine cinemas January 15, “Richard Jewell” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  Connect with the hashtag #RichardJewell

SAM ROCKWELL, A STREET-SMART CRUSADING LAWYER IN “RICHARD JEWELL”

Academy Award winner Sam Rockwell (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”) plays the crusading lawyer who defends a wrongly accused man, in Warner Bros. Pictures’ suspenseful real-life drama, “Richard Jewell” (in Philippine cinemas January 15).

The world is first introduced to Richard Jewell as the security guard who reports finding the device at the 1996 Atlanta Games bombing—his quick thinking making him a hero whose swift actions save countless lives.  But within days, the law enforcement wannabe will become the FBI’s number one suspect, vilified in the court of public opinion, his life ripped apart.  Directed by Clint Eastwood, “Richard Jewell” centers around the events that forever made his name synonymous with that terrible act.  

When Richard (Paul Walter Hauser) finds that he needs legal advice, he reaches out to the only attorney he knows, whom he befriended during a brief stint as an office mail clerk years prior: independent, anti-establishment lawyer Watson Bryant.  

Rockwell immediately gravitated toward the character of Watson Bryant, and the relationship between him and Richard.  “Watson is the right fit for Richard as an attorney because he’s a father figure or an older brother archetype.  There is friendship but also mentoring that goes on between them, and I think that relationship is the heart of the film, in a way.”

Rockwell spent time with Hauser, in preparation for filming.  “Paul and I got together in New York about ten days before shooting.  We spent about three days together, inseparable, and read the script out loud.  And we actually sat with the screenwriter, Billy Ray, had a coffee with him, and talked about the story.  And then we met with my dialect coach, and we worked with her for a while on the different dialects.  It was really beneficial for me and Paul to do that because we bonded, which I think you’ll sense on screen as well.”

The actor appreciated the opportunity to work with Eastwood.  “Whenever you’re dealing with an actor-director, you immediately get a lot of compassion from them because they know what it’s like to be in front of the camera, and all the neuroses that go along with that.  Clint is an incredibly compassionate actors’ director, and very trusting of you, lets you play.  And I admire his interest in telling stories about injustice and about people who are underestimated and then rise to the occasion, like Richard Jewell.”

“I’ve always admired Sam,” Eastwood says.  “The way he manages to envelop the roles that he does and make them very personal.  I thought he’d be great for the role of Watson, and he was, he had him down pretty pat.”

"Richard Jewell” also stars Kathy Bates (“Misery,” TV’s “American Horror Story”) as Richard’s mom, Bobi; Jon Hamm (“Baby Driver”) as the lead FBI investigator; Olivia Wilde (“Life Itself”) as Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Kathy Scruggs; and Paul Walter Hauser (“I, Tonya”) as Richard Jewell.

“Richard Jewell” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  Connect with the hashtag #RichardJewell

Son's Persection Becomes a Mother's Ordeal in "Richard Jewell"

Clint Eastwood’s suspense drama “Richard Jewell” serves to finally reveal one man’s truth, one man who, after 88 agonizing days—not one spent in jail—understands what it is to be guilty until proven innocent.

One of the filmmakers’ driving forces in bringing Richard Jewell’s story to the screen was that his mother, Bobi Jewell—who went through those same 88 days at his side—wanted her son’s story told, his name cleared of any wrongdoing, his heroics at long last memorialized.  When she learned it would be Eastwood at the helm, and then Hauser in the role, she felt Richard was in good hands both behind and in front of the camera.  Her dream would soon be a reality.

Paul Walter Hauser who plays the titular character offers, “I think this story is important because we live in a society where people play judge, jury and executioner before all the facts are known.  Richard was tried in the media, and because of that, all the hard work he had done in his life—going to the police academy, coaching baseball, being a thoughtful citizen—was reversed with a headline.  I think it’s a bit of a reality check because we, today, haven’t really righted these wrongs.  It’s still liable to happen to anyone.  Hopefully, this film will make people careful about painting someone with a certain brushstroke, without acknowledging their humanity.  Hopefully this film will serve to honor Richard’s humanity as well as his good deed.”

“Just a small amount of misinformation can turn someone’s life into a nightmare, and when the truth comes out, nobody wants to face it, and that’s a shame,” Eastwood states.  “Because it’s never too late to celebrate our heroes, and if this picture gives Richard the recognition he deserves, I say it’s about time.”

Oscar-winning actress Kathy Bates who plays Richard’s mother was fortunate enough to meet the real Bobi Jewell.  “When I spoke with Bobi, she said she felt that what Richard went through really contributed to his early death.  And it could happen to any of us.  You know, here's this guy who, all of his life, wanted to be a cop, wanted to take care of people, wanted to help people.  He was so vigilant about that, that people thought it was strange, and they turned it around and made it appear like it was something bad, that he bore all the signs of a guy that has the profile of being a killer.”

In the film as in real-life, when her son’s persecution literally hits home, Bobi’s peace is also taken from her.  Bates explains, “She sat down with me on a sofa with the script and went page by page, telling me how it felt then, what she was feeling when 15 or 20 people from the FBI went through her private papers, her date books and journals, and even her underwear drawer, when they came in to search the apartment.”

Producer Tim Moore concludes, “I think that's what resonated with all of us is the idea that not only was this one individual's life was completely destroyed, but his mother, Bobi, instead of being able to be so proud of her son—which she was—had to see him treated as the most hated person in America.  Because everybody hated him, and there was no reason to.”

In Philippine cinemas January 15, “Richard Jewell” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.