COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

1917 (Directed by Sam Mendes)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
edited January 16 in International Movies

TIME IS THE ENEMY IN THE TEASER TRAILER OF WAR EPIC “1917”

Sam Mendes, the Oscar®-winning director of Skyfall, Spectre and American Beauty, brings his singular vision to his World War I epic, 1917 starring Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Check out the film’s teaser trailer below and watch 1917 in Philippine cinemas soon.

At the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (Captain Fantastic’s George MacKay) and Blake (Game of Thrones’ Dean-Charles Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them.

1917 is directed by Sam Mendes, who wrote the screenplay with Krysty Wilson-Cairns (Showtime’s Penny Dreadful). The film stars George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Claire Duburcq, with Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch

1917 is produced by Mendes and Pippa Harris (co-executive producer, Revolutionary Road; executive producer, Away We Go) for their Neal Street Productions, Jayne-Ann Tenggren (co-producer, The Rhythm Section; associate producer, Spectre), Callum McDougall (executive producer, Mary Poppins Returns, Skyfall) and Brian Oliver (executive producer, RocketmanBlack Swan).

The film is produced by Neal Street Productions for DreamWorks Pictures in association with New Republic Pictures.

1917 is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/ ; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/. Use the hashtag #1917Movie.   

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Golden Globe winner for Best Drama and Best Director

Opens locally February 5

1917 | Official Trailer #2

ONE OF THE YEAR’S BEST FILMS “1917” ARRIVES IN PH CINEMAS THIS FEB

Two men, one mission. Save 1600 lives. If they fail, it will be a massacre. Now, there is no turning back.  And every second counts.

Sam Mendes, the Oscar®-winning director of Skyfall, Spectre and American Beauty, brings his singular vision to a visceral new epic 1917 inspired by the experiences of his grandfather and others who served in World War I. 

Nominated for ten Oscar Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay and winner of the Best Picture and Best Director at the recent Golden Globes, 1917 tells the story of two young British soldiers at the height of the war, Lance Corporal Schofield (Gorge MacKay) and Lance Corporal Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) as they are given a seemingly impossible task. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory to deliver a message that could potentially save 1,600 of their fellow soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. In this immersive cinematic experience, Mendes thrusts the audience into the immediate peril and vast scale of World War I, witnessing the conflict in an urgent and propulsive way.

The high-stakes-mission film also stars Mark Strong (The Imitation Game) as the compassionate and wise Captain Smith; Andrew Scott (Amazon’s Fleabag) as Lieut. Leslie, the war-weary commander of the Yorks and Richard Madden (Netflix’s Bodyguard) as Lieut. Blake, Blake’s elder brother, marching toward the Hindenburg Line.  

They are joined by Oscar® winner Colin Firth (The King’s Speech) as General Erinmore, who sends the pair on their mission; and Benedict Cumberbatch (Avengers series) as Colonel Mackenzie, commander of 2nd Battalion, who is convinced they have the Germans retreating and is determined to finish the job.

“I was always fascinated by the Great War, perhaps because my grandfather told me about it when I was very young, and perhaps also because at that stage of my life, I’m not sure I’d even registered the concept of war before,” Mendes says. “Our film is fiction, but certain scenes and aspects of it are drawn from stories he told me, and ones told him by his fellow soldiers. This simple kernel of an idea—of a single man carrying a message from one place to another—stayed with me and became the starting point for 1917.”

Ultimately, the film pays tribute not just to World War I soldiers but to all military members, past and present and their sacrifice for the greater good and pursuit of freedom.  

In Philippine cinemas February 5th, Sam Mendes’ 1917 is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures. 

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/ ; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/. Use the hashtag #1917Movie.   

• QT IIQT II Bee-doh bee-doh bee-doh bee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    forg said:

ONE OF THE YEAR’S BEST FILMS “1917” ARRIVES IN PH CINEMAS THIS FEB

Two men, one mission. Save 1600 lives. If they fail, it will be a massacre. Now, there is no turning back.  And every second counts.

Sam Mendes, the Oscar®-winning director of Skyfall, Spectre and American Beauty, brings his singular vision to a visceral new epic 1917 inspired by the experiences of his grandfather and others who served in World War I. 

Nominated for ten Oscar Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay and winner of the Best Picture and Best Director at the recent Golden Globes, 1917 tells the story of two young British soldiers at the height of the war, Lance Corporal Schofield (Gorge MacKay) and Lance Corporal Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) as they are given a seemingly impossible task. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory to deliver a message that could potentially save 1,600 of their fellow soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. In this immersive cinematic experience, Mendes thrusts the audience into the immediate peril and vast scale of World War I, witnessing the conflict in an urgent and propulsive way.

The high-stakes-mission film also stars Mark Strong (The Imitation Game) as the compassionate and wise Captain Smith; Andrew Scott (Amazon’s Fleabag) as Lieut. Leslie, the war-weary commander of the Yorks and Richard Madden (Netflix’s Bodyguard) as Lieut. Blake, Blake’s elder brother, marching toward the Hindenburg Line.  

They are joined by Oscar® winner Colin Firth (The King’s Speech) as General Erinmore, who sends the pair on their mission; and Benedict Cumberbatch (Avengers series) as Colonel Mackenzie, commander of 2nd Battalion, who is convinced they have the Germans retreating and is determined to finish the job.

“I was always fascinated by the Great War, perhaps because my grandfather told me about it when I was very young, and perhaps also because at that stage of my life, I’m not sure I’d even registered the concept of war before,” Mendes says. “Our film is fiction, but certain scenes and aspects of it are drawn from stories he told me, and ones told him by his fellow soldiers. This simple kernel of an idea—of a single man carrying a message from one place to another—stayed with me and became the starting point for 1917.”

Ultimately, the film pays tribute not just to World War I soldiers but to all military members, past and present and their sacrifice for the greater good and pursuit of freedom.  

In Philippine cinemas February 5th, Sam Mendes’ 1917 is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures. 

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/ ; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/. Use the hashtag #1917Movie.   

Who can imagine Sivana and Doctor Strange in one movie....

DIRECTOR SAM MENDES TAKES YOU INSIDE THE MAKING OF “1917”

For Sam Mendes making 1917 – the critically acclaimed epic set during the First World War inspired by the stories his own grandfather told him – was, he admits, the most challenging experience of his long, acclaimed career. It was also, he says, very, very special.

Nominated for Best Picture and Best Director for this year’s Academy Awards, Mendes set the bar extremely high for himself and his team – including cinematographer Roger Deakins – by filming 1917 as though it is one continuous shot, following two young British soldiers, Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) and Schofield (George MacKay) as they embark on a crucial, extremely dangerous mission, deep behind enemy lines.

“The Germans had retreated to the Hindenberg Line and these two soldiers are tasked with crossing this landscape that has suddenly been abandoned by the Germans to deliver a message to a section of the army that has pushed forward” says Mendes. 

“The two men have until dawn the next day. If they succeed, then potentially they save 1,600 lives. If they fail, then those lives will be sacrificed. On top of that, one of the soldiers, Blake, has a brother in that particular battalion. So there is a personal element to it as well.”

Their perilous journey, through the trenches, across the bombed out craters of No-Man’s Land and a devastated town, is an intense, visceral experience for the audience. The camera never leaves the men as they relentlessly move forwards, in a heart-stopping race against time.

“It felt almost impossible at times, but somehow we managed to do it,” says Mendes. “We started by asking ourselves, ‘If the camera could move anywhere, where, emotionally, is the right place for it to go?’ And only then we would try to figure out how to do it.”

“Sometimes we wanted it to be very intimate and at other times very epic. We never wanted it to feel repetitive – you don’t want to see the same shot over and over again – so it became a dance between the camera, the characters and the landscape, all three of which were constantly changing and evolving. 

“The technical challenges were huge. We shot with a variety of rigs – steadycam, wire, cranes, sometimes the cameras were on a car or a motorbike and sometimes it was old fashioned hand held camera work – yet all of it had to feel like it was one unified style. The movement of the camera had to feel seamless. 

“We rehearsed for months. The first thing we had to do was to measure the length of every section, every scene. It’s all very well for us to write ‘this scene takes place in an orchard’ but we had to build the orchard to fit the length of the scene required. 

“And this was the case all the way through the movie - for trenches, quarries, woods, farmhouses, roads, towns. So the first thing we needed to do, as a crew, was to walk across empty fields with the script, marking out every step of the journey. Then, when we found the natural rhythm of a scene, we planted flags in the ground. 

“And that’s how we did everything. We marked out and planned and built over a mile of trenches, then filled them with hundreds and hundreds of people. Dennis Gassner and his amazing art department created a world. But it all began with the boys, myself and Roger Deakins just walking across a field.”

WITH “1917,” TWO YOUNG BRITISH ACTORS BREAK FROM THE PACK

In the Universal Pictures’ war epic 1917, Lance Corporals Schofield and Blake, of the 8th Battalion, have a comradeship and friendship, which in a short space of time is tested far beyond the point of what either could have imagined.

Nominated for ten Oscar Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, 1917 tells the story of two young British soldiers Schofield and Blake as they are given a seemingly impossible task. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory to deliver a message that could potentially save 1,600 of their fellow soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. In this immersive cinematic experience, director Sam Mendes thrusts the audience into the immediate peril and vast scale of World War I, witnessing the conflict in an urgent and propulsive way.

When Mendes was choosing the actors to portray these young soldiers, it was crucial to him that audiences experience the story with relative newcomers. George MacKay, supporting player of Captain Fantastic, was cast as Lance Corporal Schofield, and Game of Thrones’ Dean-Charles Chapman became Lance Corporal Blake.

“The movie is based around the journey of two young and—at first glance—unremarkable soldiers, and ideally I wanted an audience to have no prior relationship with them,” Mendes says. “It was a real luxury, with the unstinting support of the studio, to make a movie on this scale with two actors in the central roles who really are, relatively speaking, new to the game.”

George MacKay

“There’s something about George that’s slightly old-fashioned, in that he embodies some virtues—honor, dignity, heroism—that are almost of another time. He feels ageless,” Mendes says.

“Schofield is a quiet man,” MacKay says. “He’s someone who deals with what he’s going through and what happens to him by kind of burying it. He’s got a family back home whom he loves very, very much, but because they’re not here and because he can’t be with them he sort of keeps them completely to himself. He tries to navigate the extremes of what he’s living through by keeping himself very levelled, which I found really fascinating to play.”

“When Schofield receives the news about the mission he’s wary at first,” MacKay continues. “Schofield is the more experienced solider of the two of them. He’s been doing this about a year longer than Blake has. That doesn’t make him a super solider or anything, but he’s more practiced at all of it. He’s a moral man and he understands what has to be done, but he’s trying to do it as safely as possible because he’s experienced. It’s alluded to that he survived the Battle of Thiepval, where soldiers were acting on information that they realized wasn’t correct and suffered terrible, terrible losses. He’s lost people, he’s almost died himself, and he doesn’t want to do that again.”

Dean-Charles Chapman

As Schofield’s comrade, Blake, the director aimed to cast a young man that could channel the character’s innocence and simplicity. “I hadn’t seen Dean-Charles at all until he came in and read for the part,” Mendes says. “He has a wonderful vulnerability and a sweetness; he’s a really good, natural, instinctive actor.”

Only 19, Blake is quite good with maps and eager to volunteer for any assignment that would take him back up the line—or even get him more food. “The first time I read the script I just absolutely fell in love with Blake,” Dean-Charles Chapman says. “He’s this country boy who loves his mom, loves his dog, loves his brother. He’s such a lovely, sweet kid that it’s pretty much impossible to not fall in love with him.”  

But when he is selected to pick a fellow member of 8th Battalion and give a vital message to the 2nd Devons, he has no concept of what he is signing them both up for. “He hasn't had much experience with war, at all,” Chapman says. “He's only recently just been deployed there. Throughout their mission, Blake is constantly reminded about his family and his brother and missing home, and his desperation keeps him fighting on, no matter what.”

COLIN FIRTH PLAYS THE GENERAL WHO ORDERS THE PIVOTAL MISSION IN “1917”

Academy Award-winner Colin Firth stars as General Erinmore in Universal Pictures’ critically acclaimed and $100-million grossing war epic 1917.

Nominated for ten Oscar Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Original Screenplay, 1917 tells the story of two young British soldiers Schofield (George MacKay) and Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) as they are given a seemingly impossible task. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory to deliver a message that could potentially save 1,600 of their fellow soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. In this immersive cinematic experience, director Sam Mendes thrusts the audience into the immediate peril and vast scale of World War I, witnessing the conflict in an urgent and propulsive way.

The weight of the war on his shoulders, it is General Erinmore who orders the mission. Few but Erinmore know that the Germans have staged a strategic withdrawal and are now fully prepared to obliterate any troops that challenge them.

“It may be that Erinmore himself privately feels sympathy for the boys,” says Colin Firth. “It may be that he doesn’t allow himself such feelings or simply doesn’t have them. I’m sure he would say that in the end it’s all the same. The job has to be done.

“All we see of Erinmore is the tactician,” Firth continues. “He has, in a short space of time, studied his choice of messenger and deliberately targeted someone who has a deep personal investment in the mission: this young man will want to save his brother. It’s a cruel tactic and hard to imagine a more effective one in the circumstances. Erinmore displays a sense of urgency and pragmatism by that fact that he makes the visit to the dugout himself, to give the orders personally and ensure they are understood. Sam was very keen to keep the tone professional: serious, sober and not melodramatic. All we needed to understand is the mission, what is at stake and what must be done. Not how the General feels about it.”

After some rehearsal, Firth shot his scene in one day. “Getting the whole scene as a single shot requires a great deal of advance preparation by all departments,” Firth says. “For the actors, it’s rather like the first night of a play. There is nothing to cover any mistakes. Of course, one does multiple takes, but not endlessly, and one of them will have to be perfect from beginning to end, from every point of view. You can’t edit. So, the tiniest slip means that the entire unit has to reset and go again.”

Even in his brief time on set, Firth was impressed with the technical precision of what Mendes and his creative team were achieving. “It was fascinating to watch the skill and ingenuity with which the scene was shot,” Firth says. “The preparation and skill on display by all departments was pretty staggering.”

RICHARD MADDEN, BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH LEND SUPPORT TO “1917”

Four of today’s most popular British actors are playing important supporting roles in Universal Pictures’ critically acclaimed and $100-million grossing war epic 1917.  They are Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange), Richard Madden (Game of Thrones), Mark Strong (Shazam!) and Andrew Scott (Spectre).

Nominated for ten Oscar Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Original Screenplay, 1917 tells the story of two young British soldiers Schofield (George MacKay) and Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) as they are given a seemingly impossible task. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory to deliver a message that could potentially save 1,600 of their fellow soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. In this immersive cinematic experience, director Sam Mendes thrusts the audience into the immediate peril and vast scale of World War I, witnessing the conflict in an urgent and propulsive way.

Andrew Scott is Lieutenant Leslie

Now in command of the Yorks division, after several of his men were killed two nights prior, Lieut. Leslie is delirious from both the flu and exhaustion with the campaign. Holding the line at No Man’s Land, Leslie tells our heroes they are foolish to believe that the Germans have gone and reminds them that the Germans had fought and died over every inch of this land. He asks Blake and Schofield to consider: Why now has their enemy decided to retreat and give the British miles?

Mark Strong is Captain Smith

When Captain Smith’s men happen upon Blake and Schofield at an abandoned farm, the Captain is exhausted and reeling. Wise, insightful and kind, he gives Schofield strategic advice regarding the prickly Colonel Mackenzie: If you do get to him, make sure there are witnesses. Smith knows that some men just want the fight…and are willing to ignore any command given them in order to get it.

Richard Madden is Lieutenant Blake

Lance Corporal Tom Blake’s brother, Lieut. Blake is a proud officer in the Devons, A Company and he has followed Colonel Mackenzie to the brink of the Hindenburg Line at Croisilles Wood. He has no inkling that his younger sibling has been tasked to stop his mission. Like his commanding officer, he is uncertain what’s behind the Germans’ new blockade: a three-miles deep arsenal of destruction—with field fortifications, defenses and deep-lying artillery—the likes of which the British have never seen before.

Benedict Cumberbatch is Colonel Mackenzie

In command of 2nd Battalion and leading the march toward Croisilles Wood, Colonel Mackenzie is convinced that he has the Germans on the run and can break their lines. Potentially ignoring incoming orders to stop the attack, Mackenzie is positive that his newly unauthorized mission will turn the tide of the war. Yet, General Erinmore (Colin Firth) is certain that the Colonel, who has ceased all contact with his command, is ill-informed and outgunned.

In Philippine cinemas February 5th, Sam Mendes’ 1917 is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/ ; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/. Connect with hashtag #1917Movie and tag uipmoviesph.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file