Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

CATS (James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Taylor Swift)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

Take for a first look at the teaser trailer for Universal Pictures’ new epic musical Cats and go behind the scenes for an inside look.

Check out the videos below and watch Cats in Philippine cinemas January 2020.

Comments

• C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    horrible  trailer....why oh why....
  • survivorleosurvivorleo Australian Open 2020 Participant 🎾
    good trailer. got goosebumps even! i mean, what the hell was everyone expecting Cats to be?

pretty generous to put J.Hud's "Memory" in there already as it's probably the one number people are looking forward to see. they DO need step up their VFX game, though. kind of expected it as they just wrapped filming. it feels like they haven't fully figured out how to render the faces. and the scale is a bit inconsistent.
  • pabziclespabzicles PEx Rookie ⭐
    It is not Cats movie if it isn't weird. But the fur coat of Judi Dench is a bad costume design.
    too bad they edited the section of marketing in Wikipedia......I think it was an honest comment albeit funny 😄 
  • pollywogpollywog PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Wow! Just wow!!!

Having seen the play (Manila, 2010) and the Broadway(?) video; this movie version will be quite satisfying. ;)
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

YLOR SWIFT AND ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER

WRITE NEW ORIGINAL SONG

FOR UNIVERSAL PICTURES’ CATS

The song, “Beautiful Ghosts,” is performed

by Francesca Hayward in the film,

and by Swift in the film’s end credits

CATS ARRIVES IN PHILIPPINE CINEMAS JANUARY 8, 2020

Universal Pictures announced that global music icon Taylor Swift and legendary composer Andrew Lloyd Webber have collaborated on a new, original song written for Universal Pictures’ film Cats, based on Lloyd Webber’s record-shattering stage musical. The song, “Beautiful Ghosts,” will feature in both the film and in the end credits.

Cats, in Philippine theaters January 8, is directed by Oscar®-winning filmmaker Tom Hooper (Les MisérablesThe King’s Speech), and stars Swift, James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Rebel Wilson and Royal Ballet principal dancer Francesca Hayward.  

In the film, the song is performed by Hayward, who stars in the role of Victoria. The version of the song performed by Swift, who plays Bombalurina in the film, will play over the end titles.

As part of the announcement, Universal today also released an exclusive, behind-the-scenes video documenting the creation and recording of the song and including an interview with Swift, Lloyd Webber and Hooper. The video can be seen below:

One of the longest-running shows in West End and Broadway history, the stage musical “Cats” includes some of Lloyd Webber’s most indelible songs, including “Memory.” Lloyd Webber, Swift and the filmmakers were excited at the idea of introducing a new song for the film adaptation.

Lloyd Webber saw an opportunity to create a new signature song for Victoria, whose character has been expanded for the film. “When I first read the screenplay, the first thing I said was, ‘We have to have a song for Victoria,’” Lloyd Webber says. “Beautiful Ghosts,” he says, is now, “an incredibly important and central part of the whole film.”

For director Tom Hooper, the song exceeded even his high expectations. “What I couldn’t believe was the extraordinary beauty of these lyrics that Taylor had written,” Hooper says. “It was as if someone had come into the film I was in the middle of making and … had reflected back to me a profound understanding of what we are trying to do with the movie. It was utterly thrilling.”

Taylor Swift - Beautiful Ghosts (From The Motion Picture "Cats" / Lyric Video)

• Sayang next year pa release dahil sa MMFF

EPIC MUSICAL CATS REVEALS NEW TRAILER

You’re invited to the most joyful event of the holiday season. Watch the brand new trailer for Universal Pictures’ epic musical Cats now

In Philippine cinemas January 08, Cats is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.

CATSTHE NEW YEAR’S FIRST CINEMATIC EVENT ARRIVES IN PH JAN 8th

Oscar®-winning director Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech, Les Misérables, The Danish Girl) transforms Andrew Lloyd Webber’s record-shattering stage musical Cats into a breakthrough cinematic event — a spectacular, fun, funny, moving, family-friendly film for all generations.

In Philippine cinemas January 8, Cats stars James Corden as Bustopher Jones, Judi Dench as Old Deuteronomy, Jason Derulo as Rum Tum Tugger, Idris Elba as Macavity, Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella, Ian McKellen as Gus The Theatre Cat, Taylor Swift as Bombalurina, Rebel Wilson as Jennyanydots and introduces Royal Ballet principal dancer Francesca Hayward in her feature film debut as Victoria.

Featuring Lloyd Webber’s iconic music and a world-class cast of dancers under the guidance of Tony-winning choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler (Hamilton, In the Heights), the film reimagines the musical for a new generation with spectacular production design, state-of-the-art technology, and dance styles ranging from classical ballet to contemporary, hip-hop to jazz, street dance to tap.

One of the longest-running shows in West End and Broadway history, the stage musical “Cats” received its world premiere at the New London Theatre in 1981, where it played for 21 years and earned the Olivier and Evening Standard Awards for Best Musical. In 1983, the Broadway production became the recipient of seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, and ran for an extraordinary 18 years. Since opening in London in 1981, “Cats” has continuously appeared on stage around the globe, to date having played to 81 million people in more than 50 countries and in 19 languages. It is one of the most successful musicals of all time.

As a boy, Hooper had seen Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cats” on the stage and had been wonderstruck by it. “I first saw Cats when I was 10 years old, and I have such a vivid memory of what an extraordinary experience it was,” Hooper says. “I felt I was being initiated into the secret world of cats. It felt like I was being given this privileged access to this other way of looking at the world.”

Producer Eric Fellner understood why Hooper was the ideal filmmaker to adapt it for the screen. “Tom Hooper can create narrative and emotion out of stories that often don’t have obvious narrative or emotion,” Fellner says. “That’s the kind of director that you want for a project like this. He is able to bring out the story and emotion, while combining the musical elements beautifully.”

Cats is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph  and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/. Use the hashtag #CatsMovie 

It’s a flop 😝 

Rotten Tomatoes: 16 % as of December 18

JENNIFER HUDSON SINGS “MEMORY” AS GRIZABELLA IN THE JOYFUL MUSICAL CATS

Two-time Grammy Award-winning recording artist and Academy Award®-winning actress Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) stars as Grizabella in Universal Pictures’ Cats, the big-screen adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s record-shattering stage musical.

In the film, Grizabella the Glamour cat is isolated and alone, but she possesses an inner grace and strength. She is mocked by the other cats and has been excluded from the tribe, so she dreams of bygone days when she was young and adored.

Grizabella performs one of the most notable songs from the original Broadway production, “Memory,” and the filmmakers looked no further than iconic singer and actress Jennifer Hudson to bring her to life. “Grizabella has a presence that changes the tone of any room she walks into,” Hudson says. “She was once the cat that brought all of the cats together in happiness and celebration, but now she’s no longer welcome. I sat down with Tom Hooper before we started shooting and we dissected the character of Grizabella. That helped me get an idea for what I felt Grizabella would look like and how she should move. We discussed the details of her past and how that would affect the heaviness in her walk or the brokenness in her facial expressions. We wanted people who saw her on-screen to think, ‘What happened to her?’”

So, how does one go about performing a song that has been recorded by more than 150 artists worldwide? “‘Memory’ is the heart of the story of Cats and of Grizabella’s character,” Hudson says. “It’s such a classic and iconic song. I wanted to reinvent it while also honoring the original. Andrew Lloyd Webber was very trusting and encouraged me to bring what I felt through my character to the song. I got emotional every time I practiced the song. It was as if the music spoke to me.”  

One of the quintessential relationships that forms in the film’s story is between Grizabella and Victoria, played by Francesca Hayward. Victoria expresses a kindness that Grizabella hasn’t seen for a long time, which helps Grizabella regain her confidence in herself. “Victoria is a new, young and innocent cat who has a connection to Grizabella,” Hudson says. “Grizabella has become completely scarred and doesn’t feel like she can trust anyone, but Victoria shows her a bit more mercy and friendliness than the other cats have. Victoria is young, full of life and has a bit of leverage among the cats, so she uses that leverage to help build Grizabella’s confidence in her pursuit of the Heaviside Layer.”  

“I come from a very musical background, so music has always been the magnet that draws me to the projects that I want to be a part of,” Hudson concludes. “Cats is a beautiful tribute to art. So many forms of art—poetry, music, dance, acting—are celebrated and captured at their greatest levels in this film.”

In Philippine cinemas January 08, Cats is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures

TAYLOR SWIFT PUTS YOU IN TRANCE AS BOMBALURINA IN CATS

From cat lover to actual cat, superstar recording artist Taylor Swift becomes Bombalurina in Universal Pictures’ epic musical Cats (in Philippine cinemas January 8).

Bombalurina is trickster cat Macavity’s (Idris Elba) powerful and beautiful partner in crime. She is full of personality and attitude. She loves to be the center of attention and makes a grand entrance into any room she steps. She’s the leader of Macavity’s gang and puts all the other cats in a trance using her catnip.

Oscar®-winning director Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech, Les Misérables, The Danish Girl) transforms Andrew Lloyd Webber’s record-shattering stage musical Cats into a breakthrough cinematic event — a spectacular, fun, funny, moving, family-friendly film for all generations.

In the original show, the song “Macavity” is performed by two cats, but Hooper wanted to expand the role of Bombalurina as Macavity’s partner in crime, and the number was totally reconceived for one performer, which gives it a new and different impact for the film.

The role demands a performer who can hold the attention of the audience by sheer force of personality and with immense singing ability, as well as being able to act and dance, and the filmmakers couldn’t think of anyone better for the part than the multi-platinum, Grammy Award-winning, megastar Taylor Swift.

“There was only one name that we wanted for Bombalurina,” producer Eric Fellner says. “Tom had met Taylor during the casting process for Les Miserables and when this opportunity came up, he reached out to her and we were all so glad when she said, ‘yes.’”

Hooper was delighted that he and Swift had this second chance to work together. “I’ve always wanted to work with her,” Hooper says. “So, to be able to get in touch early on in this process and have this character in mind, and finally have the chance to work with and direct her as an actress, as well as a singer and a dancer, was such an amazing experience.”

Cats also stars James Corden as Bustopher Jones, Judi Dench as Old Deuteronomy, Jason Derulo as Rum Tum Tugger, Idris Elba as Macavity, Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella, Ian McKellen as Gus The Theatre Cat, Rebel Wilson as Jennyanydots and introduces Royal Ballet principal dancer Francesca Hayward in her feature film debut as Victoria.

Cats is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph  and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/.  Connect with the hashtag #CatsMovie 

YOUNG BALLERINA MAKES FILM DEBUT AS THE LEAD CHARACTER IN CATS 

In bringing Andrew Lloyd Webber’s record-shattering stage musical Cats into a breakthrough cinematic event, the filmmakers sought a character that audiences could latch onto. Screenwriter Lee Hall says, “I thought, what if we follow one cat through the whole thing, and that’s how we came up with the idea of following one young cat, Victoria, on a coming-of-age journey through London.”  

London’s Royal Ballet Principal Dancer Francesca Hayward plays Victoria in Cats in her feature film debut.

The character of Victoria was featured in the original stage musical and was a principal dancer in the show, but she was not a prominent character; she didn’t even have her own song. So, the filmmakers expanded the character to serve the narrative.

At the beginning of the film, Victoria has been abandoned in an alley and is introduced to the fantastical world of the cats on the night of their annual ball. Though abandoned, Victoria is not a victim. She needs help but she is not helpless. She has a kind heart and an inner strength.

“When we meet her, she’s still dealing with the pain of that abandonment, but she’s taken on a journey while meeting many new cats over the course of the story,” says Francesca Hayward.  “Victoria quickly realizes that every cat she meets along her journey is practicing their audition pieces for the Jellicle ball. Their auditions are their big moments to prove themselves to Old Deuteronomy, played by Judi Dench, and to be chosen to go to the Heaviside Layer. Along her journey, she realizes that with this group of cats is where she’s meant to be.”

Victoria is drawn to one particular cat, Grizabella (Jennifer Hudson), who has been shunned by the others. Victoria comes to Grizabella’s aid when the other cats mock her. She recognizes Grizabella’s worthiness and teaches the cats to be caring and inclusive, starting with accepting Grizabella back into the tribe. “Victoria and Grizabella form a connection because they’ve both been hurt and have experienced trauma,” Francesca Hayward says. “Victoria is younger than Grizabella, so she has the opportunity to create a better life for herself, and she tries to help Grizabella to see past her pain to do the same.”

By using the character of a shunned cat, Grizabella, and Victoria’s reaction to her, Hooper and Hall were able to create a central emotional arc to match their narrative one. “Cats is really about the power of community,” Hooper says. “It tells the story of this excluded cat Grizabella who’s on the margins of society, almost as if she represents someone in a state of homelessness. We see our tribe of cats viciously excluding her. It’s the innocent outsider, Victoria, who challenges the prejudice of the group. She shows that we are stronger when we are inclusive through the act of forgiveness, that when we include people on the margins of our society our society is stronger. So, at the center of this entertaining, fun, comedic, fantastical and transportive musical is a timely story about the importance of inclusion and community, forgiveness and redemption.”

Cats stars James Corden as Bustopher Jones, Judi Dench as Old Deuteronomy, Jason Derulo as Rum Tum Tugger, Idris Elba as Macavity, Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella, Ian McKellen as Gus The Theatre Cat, Taylor Swift as Bombalurina, Rebel Wilson as Jennyanydots and introduces Royal Ballet principal dancer Francesca Hayward in her feature film debut as Victoria.

In Philippine cinemas January 8, Cats is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures

• pollywogpollywog PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I don't understand where the hate is coming from.

It's not a flawless movie, but it's not that bad.

It complements well the theater version. Some parts from the movie is better actually- particularly the prologue- Jellicle Cats, Mr. Mistoffelees, and Memory.

Jennifer Hudson's Memory is just wow! You get to feel her character more as compared to the theater version.

I have no issue with their "costume"/GCI fur either. In fact I find their 'cat ears' amazing as it moves with them and provided emotions to their character.

Too bad the critics didn't like it.