Midsommar (2019) from the director of Hereditary

pabziclespabzicles Member PEx Rookie ⭐
edited July 10 in International Movies

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF HEREDITARY comes the "Shock-of-your-Life" horror movie unlike any you have ever seen. It will linger in your mind long after you've seen it.

Plot: With their relationship in trouble, a young American couple travel to a fabled Swedish midsummer festival where a seemingly pastoral paradise transforms into a sinister, dread-soaked nightmare as the locals reveal their terrifying agenda.

Coming really soon to PH theaters this July.
Distributed locally by Pioneer Films. 

Comments

• pabzicles said:
    Coming really soon to PH theaters this July.
    Distributed locally by Pioneer Films. 
    Hi, is this confirmed? 
  • pabziclespabzicles Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited July 10
    @boornik yes of course. the film poster comes from the distributor fb page
  • Thought I lost all my hope of seeing it on the big screen. LOL. That's good news then. Apparently, Reality Entertainment didn't want to pick it up. I just hope that it will be screened UNCUT here in the Philippines 'cause I read that it was supposed to be rated NC-17 but they fought for R-rating in the US. Anyway, looking forward for more updates on it.
    edited July 10
    Let us hope. 

Edit: Release date will be on July 31.
    Update: Release date July 24 
  • Oh no, censorship strikes again. But I'm also seeing the R-18 classification on the MTRCB website. Does that mean it will be shown in two different versions here? Sucks that they're trying to butcher the film. I hope we still get the uncut / as is version. Can someone confirm with the distributors or post updates regarding the ratings. Thanks. Haay.

• AquamanAquaman Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited July 19
    Good movie.  Slow to begin.  Starts with a family tragedy experienced by the girl.  While the bf is trying to figure out how to break up.  So they go to Sweden with friends.

They went to a hippie-like cult community in Sweden.  They celebrate @Midsommar" in their own viking way. [spoiler]A gruesome retirement ceremony involving face jumping,  a sex act with one of the guests from America to impregnate a young woman to bring bio-diversity to an enclosed community,  complete with dancing and singing women during the sex act.  Everybody in the theatre :lol: ed,  a dancing marathon, etc.[/spoiler]
    edited July 19
    Sex scene is hilarious.  If censors cut that it would take so much out of the meaning of the movie.  It will be fine if they just blur out the genitals.  Anyway, if you want to see p3nis or boobs just watch p0rn.   But the scene itself is necessary for the story.  Remember its a break up movie.  Without the sex scene the break up and ending doesn't work.

The sex was not graphic anyway.  Just basic missionary and a bunch of middle aged naked women.  But the singing❤️ Perhaps the singing is to encourage fertility.

Is this like or similar or a remake of Wicker Man starring Nicholas Cage?

And the sex act was perhaps the only reason the Americans were invited/allowed to stay in the village.  And why they have a bear in a cage.  And why they have the yellow building which has restricted access.
  • It doesn't matter what a person's purpose is in watching a movie with sex and nudity. It's irrelevant.

The point is that it is really obnoxious to get a butchered version of a movie that goes against a filmmaker's vision. You said it yourself that it would take so much out of the meaning of the movie. Besides, it defeats the purpose of rating / classification of movies. If you already classify a movie for adults (R-16 / R-18) why still edit it down? I think that's incredibly stupid and dumb. 
    edited July 19
    boornik said:
    Oh no, censorship strikes again. But I'm also seeing the R-18 classification on the MTRCB website. Does that mean it will be shown in two different versions here? Sucks that they're trying to butcher the film. I hope we still get the uncut / as is version. Can someone confirm with the distributors or post updates regarding the ratings. Thanks. Haay.

I don't think that they would cut any part of the film. Given that the running time is still the same. Remember that if a movie has an R-18 rating, SM Cinema won't screen it.
  • ^ Yep I'm also wondering about that. If they're literally the same what's with the different ratings? Does that mean that R-16 to be shown in SM Cinemas is exactly the same as R-18 playing in other theaters? What's with the modified by the distributor part? I was thinking they're possibly gonna blur out the genitals as I read that the movie has lots of full-frontal nudity? Like what they did with Fifty Shades movies.
    edited July 19
    boornik said:
    ^ Yep I'm also wondering about that. If they're literally the same what's with the different ratings? Does that mean that R-16 to be shown in SM Cinemas is exactly the same as R-18 playing in other theaters? What's with the modified by the distributor part? I was thinking they're possibly gonna blur out the genitals as I read that the movie has lots of full-frontal nudity? Like what they did with Fifty Shades movies.

Exactly. Regardless, I will surely see this in R-18 rating and would definitely write a full review in here.
    It doesn't matter what a person's purpose is in watching a movie with sex and nudity. It's irrelevant.

The person's purpose is relevant to the person.

• Aquaman said:
    Anyway, if you want to see p3nis or boobs just watch p0rn. 
    ^ I was referring to this. One's purpose may be personally relevant to him/her but it's irrelevant to the argument. It's beside the point. Who would want to get a modified / censored version of any art form? I'll repeat here what I said with a little clarification:

Whether a person just wants to see penis or boobs or not, the point is that it is really obnoxious to get a butchered version of a movie that goes against a filmmaker's vision. You said it yourself that it would take so much out of the meaning of the movie. Besides, it defeats the purpose of rating / classification of movies. If you already classify a movie for adults (R-16 / R-18) why still edit it down? I think that's incredibly stupid and dumb. 
  • From Sureseats

This is from the directors cut

https://youtu.be/bNdNEbI9PM4

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file