Grab Taxi is GRABBING the public

vicmesarvicmesar Member PEx Guru ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Last week, I do not have a driver and I do not know how to drive; but, I have a business meeting in MOA. Since I do not have the Grab apps in my cellphone, I asked my niece to book me (Las Pinas to MOA). The bill was PhP390 and she advised me not to pay more than Php400. After the meeting, I hired a regular taxi, my bill is just Php190.  

WOW

For the convenience that Grab Taxi can offer, the riding public is paying in DOUBLE?
This is plain HIGHWAY ROBBERY. If for the convience offered by Grab, I paid an additional PhP100, I will find it  REASONABLE... but no Virginia, its DOUBLE (in fact, more than double [Php390 vs. Php190])

Grab is GRABBING the public

This is the stoopidity when the Government allowed Grab to monopolize the industry.

Comments

• gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited July 6
    ^ worst, the LTFRB is going to provide 10,000 more GRAB franchises eventhough there are GoCab, Hirana, MyCab, Hype and UHop. plus, amidst the controversy that were 15,000 disenfrancied GRAB units this year.

in short, Grab was operating 15,000 illegal units without LFTRB clearance to operate.

iba na yun malakas ang kapit sa mga CRONY ni DuDirty.
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop I Am WHIP PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "The bill was PhP390 and she advised me not to pay more than Php400. After the meeting, I hired a regular taxi, my bill is just Php190.  "

anong time ka pumunta ng moa, and time ka umuwi ng laspinas.

actually, swerte ka at hindi namili yung driver about bringing you to laspinas with the strict use of the meter.

• IronHandofJusticeIronHandofJustice Member PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    ^ That's why, mag Grab ka lang kung wala ng choice. 
  • pong_padourpong_padour Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Convenience ng Grab paglabas mo ng condo/bahay mo andyan na kesa magabang ka sa kalye ng taxi, gabi at umuulan.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Convenience ng Grab paglabas mo ng condo/bahay mo andyan na kesa magabang ka sa kalye ng taxi, gabi at umuulan.
    meron conceirge/security guard ang condominium at subdivision para sa pagtawag ng taxi. taxi dont even charge the distance from the guardhouse to your house for the pick point. plus, there are no NEGO between the passenger and taxi driver. they entered the subdivision with full knowledge on where is the final destination. you pay what is the fare on the meter. of course, a tip is complusary.

ang GRAB magugulat ka na lang sa upsurge.
  • vicmesarvicmesar Member PEx Guru ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    "The bill was PhP390 and she advised me not to pay more than Php400. After the meeting, I hired a regular taxi, my bill is just Php190.  "

anong time ka pumunta ng moa, and time ka umuwi ng laspinas.

actually, swerte ka at hindi namili yung driver about bringing you to laspinas with the strict use of the meter.

it was 1:15 am for lunch meeting in MOA.

Note that Las Pinas is a strong-middle class, most subdivision residents have cars and some of them are Grab Taxi drivers. Minsan nga ang waiting time ko is just 3 minutes kasi ang nakuha is just 2 to 5 blocks away from my house.

There should be a cap regarding this convenience fee or consideration. I guess for short travel, it should not be more than 50% of the bill.

^ worst, the LTFRB is going to provide 10,000 more GRAB franchises eventhough there are GoCab, Hirana, MyCab, Hype and UHop. plus, amidst the controversy that were 15,000 disenfrancied GRAB units this year.

I am not aware of these companies
    meron conceirge/security guard ang condominium at subdivision para sa pagtawag ng taxi. taxi dont even charge the distance from the guardhouse to your house for the pick point. plus, there are no NEGO between the passenger and taxi driver. they entered the subdivision with full knowledge on where is the final destination. you pay what is the fare on the meter. of course, a tip is complusary.

ang GRAB magugulat ka na lang sa upsurge.
    ako nagulat sa difference : P390 vs. P190
  • hsusonhsuson Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited July 6
    Grab gave commuters a choice.  It had better cars, pick up convenience on demand, feedback and safety, etc.

Best of all, it forced the taxicabs to behave better.

Next time, get a regular cab if you dont like the surge price.  Use grab during leaner hours.
    hsuson said:
    Grab gave commuters a choice.  It had better cars, pick up convenience on demand, feedback and safety, etc.

Best of all, it forced the taxicabs to behave better.

Next time, get a regular cab if you dont like the surge price.  Use grab during leaner hours.
    Choice is an issue here. It is about REGULATING A PUBLIC UTILITY which is a MUST.
    Stated otherwise,  the REASONABILITY of the added convenience

By analogy, it is like whether you like EXTRA TOPPINGS in your pizza. If you do, you add, say, 100pesos from the regular price of, say, 500pesos. The customer can see the REASONABLENESS   of the additional price.  
    edited July 6
    ^ You have tons of choices to move around the city. You can take a bus, a PUJ, MRT, taxi, UV Express, Grab, Angkas and even a helicopter ride. If you don't like those options, better buy your own car hehe.
  • IronHandofJusticeIronHandofJustice Member PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    ^ You have tons of choices to move around the city. You can take a bus, a PUJ, MRT, taxi, UV Express, Grab, Angkas and even a helicopter ride. If you don't like those options, better buy your own car hehe.

Parati ko itong naiisip kapag hirap ako magbook ng Grab or sobra akong namamahalan.

From Alabang Town Center, ang taxi fare lang pauwi ay mga under 150 pesos, pero iyong Grab nasa almost 290 pesos. Nag try akong mag cab pero fixed rate sila duon sa ATC, 350 pesos daw. Kaya ayun, nagjeep nalang ako plus air pollution.

Lesson learned: Huwag pumunta ng ATC kahit siya ang pinakamalapit na magandang pasyalan sa akin. :lol:
    Grab Taxi is a PUBLIC UTILITY COMPANY - a holder of FRANCHISE. It is subject to REGULATION

With the added price for the convenience offered, the issue is its REASONABLENESS. I am not arguing about the CHOICE... It is NOT an issue here (got a clerical error in my previous post that should be read as follows: "Choice is NOT an issue here")

it is about what the Government policy/doing for this kind of practice which I think is UNREASONABLE taking cue from the usual business practice that one just add some reasonable amount for added service, e.g. the pizza analogy above; the value meal system in Jollibee, McDo etc.

What bother me most is that: the Grab rate is not in accord with the way Filipino earns; yet, it supposed to serve the public (convenience). MASS transpoitation po ito, masa pa rin ang target nito.

Grab's HIGH RATE for the added convenience affects the people's CHOICE. Consequently, as a public utility, Grab Taxi is not fully serving the ratio of its FRANCHISE: for public convenience).

Again, Grab Taxi must be checked for it is a public utility company.

^ "Dynamic pricing, or surge pricing, uses a complex algorithm to balance supply and demand. When demand exceeds supply, such as during rush hours, fares surge so that those who need a ride urgently – and who are willing to pay the premium – can get a car.
    For drivers, time is money. They want the most bucks for the number of hours they spend on the road. Their earnings help defray the cost of fuel, car rental, insurance and other expenses, which could be around 60 per cent of their driving income."
    During normal hours I pay $10 and peak hours I pay $22 Grab fare from my condo to the airport which is 9.6km when I have a flight late at night. It's more convenient just booking a ride and tracking it's location then alerting you that it has arrived rather than walking outside the condo and waiting for a cab in the street for several minutes. The fare is also the same if I get a cab because they charge night differential and additional airport charges.

^ "Dynamic pricing, or surge pricing, uses a complex algorithm to balance supply and demand. When demand exceeds supply, such as during rush hours, fares surge so that those who need a ride urgently – and who are willing to pay the premium – can get a car.
    For drivers, time is money. They want the most bucks for the number of hours they spend on the road. Their earnings help defray the cost of fuel, car rental, insurance and other expenses, which could be around 60 per cent of their driving income."
    During normal hours I pay $10 and peak hours I pay $22 Grab fare from my condo to the airport which is 9.6km when I have a flight late at night. It's more convenient just booking a ride and tracking it's location then alerting you that it has arrived rather than walking outside the condo and waiting for a cab in the street for several minutes. The fare is also the same if I get a cab because they charge night differential and additional airport charges.

when a company is a holder of a franchise, the so called DYNAMIC PRICING is subject to REGULATION. This must be so because the dynamism is impressed with public interest, public convenience (not convenience of middle-class and rich people). It is part of the State's POLICE POWER.

In the Philippines, an average rank and file employee  merely earns around PhP510 a day minus  tax, so the take home is just around Php400. What makes Filipinos struggling everyday is the GROSS UNPROPORTIONALITY of prices of basic goods and services in relation to Filipinos' income; and, because of this, so many Filipinos were deprived of what is so common to others. For instance, my two new maids here do not eat  beef pala (only baboy); and, my sister said that's because beef for poor people is a luxury, hence, they failed to acquire a taste for a beef which has an "after taste" compared with pork...

My point: NASANAY NA TAYO ng ganito, OPPRESSIVE ang prices (beyond the reach of common tao) such that it becomes a NORM to us....

^ Again you have tons of choices. It's the same why people choose Starbucks instead of cheaper brands. They can even drink a coffee from their office pantry or just buy from 7-11 or McDonalds. You have a choice. I get it, mahal na sa Pinas ngayon, the kry thing is leave within your means. Kung yun lang ang salary ng average rank and file employeoo, then magbus sya or take other cheaper alternative. Pwede ring Grab Share or yung Angkas. 
    Di na uso pasosyal ngayon kung di naman afford. LOL
  • jbpink87jbpink87 Mailap ang Kinse PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Kung namamahalan ka sa grab e di magtaxi or try other modes of transpo.. you want convenience? Pay extra, ganun lang yun.. mura pa nga grab dito e, uber in Australia ranges from 30aud and above, plus kung pinag antay mo pa yung driver papatak pa yan 5aud per min ng pag aantay ng driver sa'yo.. I don't let my family take taxi if di ko sila.mahahatid sa pupuntahan nila because of safety, maraming sira ulong taxi driver diyan, at malabo kausap metro daw pero sisingilin ka ng extra, aawayin at babantaan ka pa. Grab driver can't do that, kundi reklmal aabutin nila at tanggal sila sa grab.. 
    That's not the point here.
    Starbucks and Grab Taxi are two different companies in LEGAL TERMS (your exampe is not logical, not in acord with the "genus" or "nature" of things compared)
    Starbucks' services are not so much impressed with public interest, it is NOT a PUBLIC UTILITY like the Grab Taxi.

Pa sosyal? I beg to disagree. Not only that, even poor people deserves convenience, poor people, in some ocassions, also need the services of Grab like in case of emergency or maulan or maraming dala.., Why deprived poor people of convenience and needs? - para que pa anjan ang Government..Government must REGULATE the Grab... but, HOW? Eh mukhang nasuhulan na - when Grab paid MILLIONS of pesos to Government for franchise violations way back 2017, i guess.  

My point: This is an ADVOCACY thread, not maintenance of STATUS QUO. I find Grab's pricing unreasonable. When Grab was punished for franchise violation and paid MILLIONS OF PESOS, alam na kung KANINO nila babawiin.      
  • jbpink87jbpink87 Mailap ang Kinse PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Well, even the masses can't afford to ride a taxi.. 
    edited July 8
    May premium at may budget. Cinemas, airlines, bottled water, hotels, law firms, clothing brand, delivery service you name it. Kahit nga sa staple food natin may choice ka na mag NFA rice or Jasmine rice. Can't afford to buy a Nankotsu Ramen, then buy the cheape alternative which is an instant noodle. Stick to the budget/cheap ones if you find the premium to be too expensive. Again you have a choice and you need to live within your means. Hayaan mo na yung mga rank and file na employee na tangang magmanage ng finances nila at nagGGrab araw-araw. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file