COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts

logitextlogitext PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds

Religious belief appears to have negative influence on children’s altruism and judgments of others’ actions even as parents see them as ‘more empathetic’

Children from religious families are less kind and more punitive than those from non-religious households, according to a new study.

Academics from seven universities across the world studied Christian, Muslim and non-religious children to test the relationship between religion and morality.

They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

“Overall, our findings ... contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others,” said the authors of The Negative Association Between Religiousness and Children’s Altruism Across the World, published this week in Current Biology.

“More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularisation of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness – in fact, it will do just the opposite.”

Almost 1,200 children, aged between five and 12, in the US, Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey and South Africa participated in the study. Almost 24% were Christian, 43% Muslim, and 27.6% non-religious. The numbers of Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and other children were too small to be statistically valid.

They were asked to choose stickers and then told there were not enough to go round for all children in their school, to see if they would share. They were also shown film of children pushing and bumping one another to gauge their responses.

The findings “robustly demonstrate that children from households identifying as either of the two major world religions (Christianity and Islam) were less altruistic than children from non-religious households”.

Older children, usually those with a longer exposure to religion, “exhibit[ed] the greatest negative relations”.

The study also found that “religiosity affects children’s punitive tendencies”. Children from religious households “frequently appear to be more judgmental of others’ actions”, it said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/religious-children-less-altruistic-secular-kids-study?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ios_share_flow_optimization&utm_term=enabled&fbclid=IwAR3KiFbDbi-hiHU8lfv1wELjDLYolBSQXZOs5MAqKT_ZOHhZzEjBS3h-I-M

Comments

• logitextlogitext PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Take note:

“While it is generally accepted that religion contours people’s moral judgments and pro-social behaviour, the relation between religion and morality is a contentious one,
    Religious people are more judgemental, thats for sure.
  • TrollmeisterTrollmeister B?nned for trolling PEX PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Oo kasi sinasabi nila na mali talaga ang sex lifestyle ng mga Sodomists    :rofl: 
  • JuanTamad_JuanTamad_ Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ingroup vs. outgroup
  • hsusonhsuson Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Oo kasi sinasabi nila na mali talaga ang sex lifestyle ng mga Sodomists    :rofl: 
    Fr. Trollmeister loves raping religious children

:rofl:
  • AgapitoAgapito Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I think the study mentioned in the article, is rudimentary.

The reason being, just because you identify yourself as "Religious", does not necessarily describe how you are raising your children. The "Theory of Religion" does not necessarily translate to ACTUAL PRACTICE.

In Mexico for example, a predominantly Roman Catholic country, children are often exposed to drugs, and prostitution, and gang life. If you survey the families there, they will readily identify themselves as "Religious", but you have no idea how they live out their day-to-day lives.

Problematic Children who were supposedly raised in a "Religious" Family, may have been raised the wrong way by their parents.

I have visited orphanages run by nuns in the past. I found the children there very polite with good manners.

I also observed even with my house helpers (kasambahay). Those who were Religious, tend to be more OBEDIENT and mild mannered and polite. They are also more subservient in their character. As a result, I trust them more not to do bad things (example, like they won't steal anything from the house while i'm away).

The meaner types I have encountered, are usually those who belong in the more hardcore cult Religions like Jehovah's Witnesses or Iglesia Ni Cristo. The more hardcore a person is with their Religion, the meaner they become. Which is why Roman Catholic people are more acceptable to me (compared to other Religion), they are more liberal and not heavily indoctrinated. They practice Flexibility, so they adapt much better in a social environment.
    Agapito said:
    I think the study mentioned in the article, is rudimentary.

The reason being, just because you identify yourself as "Religious", does not necessarily describe how you are raising your children. The "Theory of Religion" does not necessarily translate to ACTUAL PRACTICE.

Yes it does not describe the 'how'. But the religious would obviously use religion to influence their children. And thats the point of the study, religious children vs secular children regardless of how both were raised.

Agapito said:

I have visited orphanages run by nuns in the past. I found the children there very polite with good manners.

Most children tend to be polite to adults. How they treat other children, especially when no adult is looking, is another matter.

Agapito
     said:

The meaner types I have encountered, are usually those who belong in the more hardcore cult Religions like Jehovah's Witnesses or Iglesia Ni Cristo. The more hardcore a person is with their Religion, the meaner they become. Which is why Roman Catholic people are more acceptable to me (compared to other Religion), they are more liberal and not heavily indoctrinated. They practice Flexibility, so they adapt much better in a social environment.

Those religions you mentioned, what they share in common is the belief that only they are saved while everyone else will burn in hell. Their members can get away with bad behavior from the eyes of their god as long as they maintain their membership.

• TrollmeisterTrollmeister B?nned for trolling PEX PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    hsuson said:
    Fr. Trollmeister loves raping religious children

:rofl:

And Hsuso loves raping the butt of goats!    :rofl:   :rofl:  
  • AgapitoAgapito Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    logitext said:

Yes it does not describe the 'how'. But the religious would obviously use religion to influence their children. And thats the point of the study, religious children vs secular children regardless of how both were raised.

Lessons in Basic manners and good behavior, are practically the same for both "religious children" vs "secular children". I'm just not sure what specific "acts" under Religion, are not taught to Secular children.

Also, the article did not provide an analysis as to why Religious children are meaner. What was it in their Religious upbringing that made them meaner? The article did not say. The article merely gave an "observation". But no explanation. 

In my view, embracing a secular way of life requires a higher degree of mental maturity. So if you have secular parents, it's possible that your parents are intelligent enough to raise you to become a well-mannered child.

Embracing Religion on the other hand, simply requires you to OBEY WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED. You just obey and obey. And we know for a fact, that people who simply obey without question, are usually not very bright people. As a result, if you have Religious parents, they can be very hardcore with their manner of raising children, which tend to result to children rebelling against their parents. OR they can be very dull-minded and simply do not possess the matured skills in raising their children the right way.

logitext said:

Most children tend to be polite to adults. How they treat other children, especially when no adult is looking, is another matter.

No offense to people in the squatters area. But many children from the squatters area, are meaner. They do end up in brawls with other youths, because their parents don't care.

And yes, children do steal property when no adult is looking (TV News reports have shown CCTV footages many times already).

If you want children to behave when adults are not looking, you probably need to scare them with something that is omnipresent, ....... like Santa Claus (no gifts for you come Christmas time, because you've been naughty). Or yes, teach them about God.

logitext said:

Those religions you mentioned, what they share in common is the belief that only they are saved while everyone else will burn in hell. Their members can get away with bad behavior from the eyes of their god as long as they maintain their membership.

I think what is common to them, is HARDCORE INDOCTRINATION. These religious cults treat their members like in concentration camps.  There is always a THREAT involved. You need to threaten people with harm, to force them to obey. 
  • KidlatNgayonKidlatNgayon Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Proverbs 9:10
    New International Version
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

A child raised in the fear of the Lord will follow God's commandments:

Proverbs 22:24 (CEB) 
    Don't befriend people controlled by anger; don't associate with hot-tempered people;

Proverbs 12:26
    The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

Proverbs 13:20 
    Walk with the wise and become wise;associate with fools and get in trouble.

1 Corinthians 15:33 
    Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”

1 Corinthians 5:11 Now, what I meant was that you should not associate with people who call themselves brothers or sisters in the Christian faith but live in sexual sin, are greedy, worship false gods, use abusive language, get drunk, or are dishonest. Don’t eat with such people.

2 Corinthians 6:14
    New Living Translation
    Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness?

O, may kautusan eh, na-snob ka lang, "mean" na? :lol:    
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    fraternities are prevalant in public and non-secular elementary and secondary schools.

while isolated violence like bullying are common in religious schools because most of the students will not fight back.

in short, gang violence is common in public schools while intimidation and coercion is prevelant catholic schools.
  • alchemistofophiralchemistofophir Christian Communist PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    syempre pag may batayan kang criteria/paniniwala/dogma/quotes|versestoliveby at nakikita mo na ang mundo ay isang napakalaking [email protected], maiinis ka..

kung mahilig ka sa [email protected], ok lang sa yo na mabuhay sa isang [email protected] mundo..

ganun lang naman kasimple..

B)B)B)
    .V.. ..I..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file