The Speakership Battle for the incoming 18th Congress

buddywbuddyw Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

The Speakership battle for the incoming 18th Congress is projected to be a four-way battle:

Davao del Norte  Pantaleon Bebot Alvarez,
Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco
Representatives-elect Alan Peter Cayetano (Taguig-Pateros)
Ferdinand Martin Romualdez (Leyte)

Dark horse Pulong Duterte

Comments

• buddywbuddyw Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Cayetano warns party-list solons who won’t support his Speakership bid – source

Taguig-Pateros Representative-elect Alan Peter Cayetano has allegedly threatened the House party-list bloc that he can be their worst enemy if ever they will not support his Speakership bid this coming 18th Congress.

Multiple sources from the party-list coalition disclosed to Politiko that Cayetano allegedly issued the warning during the bloc’s annual general assembly at the Marco Polo Ortigas in Pasig City last week.

Cayetano together with two other contenders for the Speakership namely Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco and Leyte Representative-elect Ferdinand Martin Romualdez met with the 54-man party-list coalition last Thursday to discuss their respective legislative agenda and platform if ever chose to become the next leader of the Lower House.

The former Foreign Affairs Secretary arrived few minutes after Velasco left the function room, where in he supposedly told the group that “he didn’t came there to negotiate,” but rather insisted that he already has the mandate of President Rodrigo Duterte to led the 303-man chamber.

Another source said Cayetano further stressed he can be the worst of those legislators who will not support his quest to seek the House leadership.

The party-list solon who requested anonymity said he wasn’t shocked by the pronouncement of incoming solon since no less than Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte claimed that Cayetano issued a “veiled threat” against her and that she is about to destroy the administration coalition if ever she decides to back the Speakership bid of Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco.

“He, however, came with a veiled threat, that if I endorse Rep. Velasco for Speaker, I would break up the ‘group’,” said Mayor Duterte.

Cayetano, according to the Presidential daughter, further warned her that backing the Speakership bid of the gentleman from Marinduque “will affect the Presidential elections of 2022.”

House for sale! Bebot Alvarez claims vote buying in Speaker race going for P1M per congressman

If you think vote-buying is bad in the just concluded 2019 mid-term elections, you haven’t heard about the seven-figure going rate for a vote in Speakership race in the 18th Congress.

In an interview with ANC’s Karen Davila, former Speaker Bebot Alvarez revealed a candidate like him would have to spend between P500,000 and P1 million for each vote to be Speaker.

But Alvarez is adamant that he won’t engage in vote buying because he doesn’t want to get his hands tied by bilyonaryo financiers.

“Tingin ko I’m sincere enough para tulungan ang ating Pangulo. Purposely, hindi ako lumapit doon sa mga funders para meron akong may ipamigay ako na P500,000 to P1 million,” said Alvarez in an interview with ANC’s Karen Davila.

“Ganoon po, sadly, (ang nangyayari) sa Lower House…ayaw ko nang sabihin kung sino,” he added.

Practically all of the top candidates for Speaker are rich men – Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco, Martin Romualdez, and Alvarez.

“Pag gagawin natin ‘yun (bumili ng boto), we will be compromising the position of the Speakeship, mahirap po ‘yun specially may mga tax reforms packages pa na kailangang ipatupad pa,” said Alvarez in explaining why he refused to buy his way to a return to the House’s summit.

‘Spend P150M to P300M, to be next Speaker’

MANILA, Philippines — Will money decide who will be the next Speaker of the House of Representatives?

To win the speakership, top contenders for the post must be willing to shell out between P500,000 and P1 million per vote for each of the 300 incoming House members, according to former Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez.

In a startling revelation, the Davao del Norte congressman-elect heavily implied on Monday that the speakership could be bought after all.

Money race

In an interview on ANC, Alvarez, who earlier declared his ambition to reclaim the leadership of the House, vouched for his own sincere intentions in helping the Duterte administration push its legislative priorities.

Which was why, according to Alvarez, he would not be taking part in a money race.

“Purposely, I did not approach funders to give out P500,000 to P1 million,” he told broadcaster Karen Davila.

“That, sadly, is what’s going on in the Lower House,” Alvarez said without elaborating.

“I won’t say who it is,” he added.

Alvarez said participating in such dubious methods as vote-buying would compromise the Speaker’s position.

“If we do that, we will be compromising the position of the speakership,” he said.

4 top contenders

Top contenders for the speakership to be vacated by outgoing Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo include incoming Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez, Alvarez, former Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano and Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco.

Other possible contenders are outgoing Sen. Loren Legarda, Majority Leader Fredenil Castro, Pampanga Rep. Aurelio Gonzales, San Juan City Rep. Ronaldo Zamora and Cavite Representatives Alex Advincula and Abraham Tolentino.

Outgoing Minority Leader Danilo Suarez said that whoever ends up as the Speaker of the House in the 18th Congress would be well-positioned to influence the outcome of the 2022 presidential race.

“You bet. The political aspirants are very sensitive to who will be the next Speaker … and the polarization of the House will be a factor” in who wins the presidency, he told a press briefing on Monday.

A big factor in 2022

“I’m not saying it will be the winning edge, but it will be a factor,” said Suarez, a member of the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats (Lakas-CMD), who earlier expressed support for the candidacy of Romualdez.

Suarez earlier said a manifesto of support for Romualdez had been circulated, gathering some 126 votes.

Sara’s favorite

But he answered in the affirmative when asked if the victory of Velasco would be to the advantage of President Duterte’s daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, should the latter run for presiden

• gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    PANTyAlvarez will never return as the new Speaker of the House. that is why he is doing his mudslinging in favor of his TSONGressman. he only claims there two Congressmen running vote buying for the speakership. this leaves Alan Cayetano and Polong Duterte squeaky clean. he also claims the latter is not interested in the speakership.

in short, TSONG is Cayetano.
  • knorrknorr 8anned by Abmin PExer

.                                                       .

Villar refuses to sign resolution on Sotto’s continued Senate presidency

MANILA, Philippines — Sen. Cynthia Villar has refused to sign a resolution supporting the continued leadership of Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III.

Villar, who is reportedly being eyed as a possible replacement of Sotto, even confronted Senators Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III and Manny Pacquiao for dragging her into their “rift” with Sotto.

“Bakit kelangang magpirmahan tayo? Bakit niyo ako sinasali sa away niyo? Bakit kayo ganyan?” Villar could be heard telling Pimentel and Pacquiao on the floor on Monday.

[Why do we have to sign this? Why are you getting me involved in your quarrel? Why are you like that?]

“Ayusin niyo ‘yung kapartido niyo. Huwag niyo akong idadamay sa away niyo,” she added.

[Get your party mate in line. Don’t drag me into your quarrel.]

Pimentel is president of the ruling PDP-Laban, which is chaired by President Rodrigo Duterte. Pacquiao is a party member of PDP-Laban.

Turning to Pacquiao, Villar said: “Kasi ikaw dinala mo kay Sotto ‘yung mga kapartido. Sabi niyo mag gu-good time lang kayo. Tapos bigla ng sinabi niyo na supportive sila kay Sotto.”

[You brought the party mates to Sotto. You said you we’re just having a good time. Then suddenly you said they were all supportive of Sotto.]

“Bakit ako pipirma dyan? Kung mapahamak ‘yung aking kapartido, ako’y nakapirma dyan? …Hihintayin ko na maayos si Pia at si Imee. ‘Di ba tama ‘yun?” she went on.

[Why should I sign that? What if my party mates get into trouble? I will wait for Pia and Imee to get settled in. Isn’t that just right?]

Villar was referring to Senators-elect Pia Cayetano and Imee Marcos. The three — Villar, Cayetano, and Marcos — all belong to the Nacionalista Party (NP).

It was Marcos who earlier disclosed an alleged move to push for Villar as new Senate president.

In a text message to Sotto, Marcos also claimed that it was Senator-elect Francis Tolentino who was egging Villar to challenge Sotto’s leadership.

Tolentino is also a member of PDP-Laban.

Pimentel then advised Villar that as NP head, she should also talk to Sotto.

“Eh hindi naman niya [Sotto] ako kinakausap,” Villar said. “Dinidiktahan niya ako…”

[He’s not talking to me. He’s dictating on me.]

• TrollmeisterTrollmeister B?nned for trolling PEX PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sino pa bang maniniwala sa mga sinasabi ni Trapong Pantaleon Alvarez, e kahit totoo niyang asawa kinaliwa niya e!   :rofl: 

.                                          .

Para magkaalaman na! Velasco to accept Pacquiao’s dinner invite to resolve Speakership row in PDP

Reelected Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco will attend next week’s private dinner meeting hosted by Senator Manny Pacquiao to finally resolve who among the three Speaker-wannabes within the ruling administration party, PDP Laban will be chosen as their bet in the hotly-contested Speakership battle.

In a text message sent to Poltiko, Velasco confirmed his attendance in the coming private talks set by Pacquiao in his Forbes Park residence sometime next week.

“Yes! (I’ll be there). Para malaman na natin kung sino ang susuportahan (ng partido),” said Velasco.

It was Pacquiao’s idea to bring Velasco and two other PDP aspirants for the House leadership in one table so that the Speakership will remain with the ruling party.

Pacquiao is reportedly concerned that their allies in the House of Representatives will be split among Velasco, reelected Pampanga Rep. Aurelio “Dong” Gonzales, and former House Speaker Pantaleon “Bebot” Alvarez.

Having PDP three contenders means a possible disaster for the party since there might be a possibility that the next House leader may come from another political entity.

Aside from the three members of the ruling party, two other prominent solons outsidet PDP are also vying for the Speakership namely, incoming Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez (Lakas-CMD) and Taguig-Pateros Representative-elect Alan Peter Cayetano.

Velasco on Friday just arrived from Singapore after he and his wife, Wen Velasco hosted a private birthday celebration for the President’s daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte at the Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa Resort in Sentosa Island last June 5.

.                                            .

.                                      .
    edited June 11

.                                        .

Pacquiao: ‘Dangerous’ to pick Speaker who’s not from PDP-Laban

MANILA, Philippines — It would be “dangerous” to select a House Speaker who is not from the ruling party Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), Sen. Manny Pacquiao said on Wednesday.

“It’s dangerous. He might clash with the President,” Pacquiao, speaking in Filipino, told reporters at a press briefing in Pasay City.

He acknowledged, however, that the President might opt to endorse an aspirant who was not from the PDP-Laban.

According to Pacquiao, one of the considerations for selecting the party nominee for House Speaker is loyalty to President Rodrigo Duterte.

“Ang tinitingnan natin dito baka mamaya last two years or last one year before elections baka susuwagin na ang Pangulo natin. Dapat tuloy-tuloy hanggang sa matapos. Maganda naman ang programa ng Pangulo,” Pacquiao said.

[What we’re looking at is this: In the last two years or last year before elections, the Speaker might clash with our President. He should continue to be with the President until the end of his term. Anyway, the President’s programs are good.]

Asked if no impeachment would emanate from the House if the Speaker would be from the ruling party, Pacquiao’s response was short: “Wala.”

Pacquiao added another reason why the next House Speaker should be from the ruling party.

“Ang Pangulo kasi PDP. Tapos pinakamalaking party member sa lower house, PDP,” Pacquiao said. “Ang Pangulo naman natin ang ginagawa para sa bayan, hindi para sa sarili. So pangalagaan natin. Suportahan natin.”

[The President is with PDP. And the biggest party in the lower house is PDP. Our President is doing everything for the country, not for himself. So let’s take care of him. Let’s support him.]

What if Duterte endorses someone from another party?

Three PDP-Laban members are vying for the speakership — Davao del Norte Rep. Pantaleon Alvarez, a former House Speaker; Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco; and Pampanga Rep. Aurelio Gonzales Jr.

Also vying for the post are Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez of Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats and Taguig-Pateros Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano of the Nacionalista Party.

If the President should choose to endorse an aspirant outside the PDP-Laban party, Pacquiao said he would still suggest that to him to pick someone from the ruling party.

“Saka tayo mag-suggest na kailangan PDP kasi PDP ang Pangulo natin,” Pacquiao said.

[That’s when I will suggest that the Speaker will have to be from PDP because the President is from PDP.]

According to Pacquiao, the party is eyeing to select its nominee for the speakership before he leaves on Saturday for his boxing match in the United States.

Pacquiao said the party would still need to consult with the President, PDP-Laban chairman, before revealing the nominee.

“Hindi pa tayo nakapag-finalize sa napili kung sino sa partido. Ikokonsulta din natin sa Pangulo. alam niyo naman ang Pangulo, PDP,” Pacquiao said.

[We have not finalized the selection for the party nominee. We will consult with the President. As you know, the President is with PDP.]

The next Speaker will be elected at the opening of the 18th Congress on July 22.

• troll_anustroll_anus Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    eh bob0 pala itong si Knorr

rename mo na lang ang Cubao as Makati, tapos na problema.

bakit santolan at crame pa i-rename mo?

https://www.pinoyexchange.com/discussion/comment/78401221/#Comment_78401221
    knorr said:

It can be done. Just rename Santolan.Crame as Makati :lol:

• lechon xlechon x Olats PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    eh bob0 pala itong si Knorr

rename mo na lang ang Cubao as Makati, tapos na problema.

bakit santolan at crame pa i-rename mo?

https://www.pinoyexchange.com/discussion/comment/78401221/#Comment_78401221
    knorr said:

It can be done. Just rename Santolan.Crame as Makati :lol:

psst, eh kung ganoon, 5 mins from Makati to Makati :rofl:
  • netopiannetopian Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

WILL PRRD GET STRONGER SUPPORT FROM LEGISLATURE COME JUNE 30?

Over the past several weeks, I have been researching about the performance of both houses of Congress and I am convinced that in as far as supporting Pres. Rody Duterte's priority measures, the House of Representatives of the Philippines did so much better than the Senate of the Philippines.

While I believe that Senate President Vicente Tito Sotto did his best in reining support in the Senate, we cannot deny the fact that Speaker Gloria Macapagal Arroyo did a far better job.

She managed to help pass ALL of the executive's priority measures, something that her predecessors in previous Congresses never managed to achieve for theirs.

Some may say, "Eh yung budget bakit ang tagal pinasa?" and I agree: that's something that we can strongly criticize her for. Note, however, that she's the leader of HoR, not its dictator, so there really are instances when she will not get what she wants.

And the budget issue is the instance that I can find.
    With that said, I think it's best, in as far as PRRD's interests, for both Houses in the incoming Congress to have leaders like Arroyo, i.e. someone who can find a way to move forward despite the myriad varying political interests of those under her.

The Politics that we see on TV is like a fairy tale, but the real Politics on the ground is about striking compromises. It's not enough that PRRD gets support from his sworn allies: he also needs support from lukewarm allies and fence sitters.

And as far as I can see, most congressmen and a large number of senators are exactly that: lukewarm allies and fence sitters.

Politics is not about rainbows and butterflies and unicorns and unlimited samgyeopsal. Real Politics is dark, dirty, complicated, and we need leaders who can make sense out of that chaos and use it to generate net gains for the Filipino People.

Sure, most of these new congressmen have professed love and loyalty to the President, but trust me: that's all lip service. At the end of the day, they will still decide based on their own political interests, just like you and I.

For Congress, we could use someone like Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

Too bad she's retiring, so the question now is this:

Will the next House Speaker be like GMA, or just another idealist who doesn't get things done?

Image may contain 1 person smiling

.                                                  .

.                                                 .

PDP-Laban picks Velasco as bet for House Speaker

Administration party Partido ng Demokratikong Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) has picked Marinduque Representative Lord Allan Velasco as its nominee for House Speaker in the 18th Congress.

Senator Manny Pacquiao made the announcement via video conference from Los Angeles on Wednesday morning (Manila time).

“With the whole blessing of the ruling PDP-Laban party and for the welfare of the whole Filipino people…I am announcing the endorsement in support of Lord Allan Velasco as speaker of the House of Representatives in the full term of the 18th Congress,” he said.

Pacquiao said the party made the decision on June 23. Members of the PDP-Laban earlier signed a manifesto of support for the speakership bid of Velasco.

Asked why they chose Velasco, Pacquiao said that aside from the support of their partymates, they believe it would be good if the House Speaker is young and pushing for the welfare of the Filipino people.

“Marami nang support sa kanya, in fact, majority of PDP-Laban have signed a manifesto of support. Sa tingin ko maganda na bata ang Speaker natin at maasahan din para sa welfare of the Filipino people, na itong last three years ng Pangulo ‘yung magagandang panukala para sa bayan, para sa mamamayang Filipino walang magiging problema,” he said.

Velasco is only one of the three lawmakers from the party who is aspiring to hold the highest position in the House of Representatives in the next Congress, the other two being Pampanga Representative Aurelio "Dong" Gonzales and Davao Del Norte Representative Pantaleon Alvarez, himself a former Speaker.

Velasco is expected to go head to head against other Speaker aspirants Leyte Representative-elect Martin Romualdez of Lakas and Taguig City Representative-elect Alan Peter Cayetano.

PDP-Laban members earlier asked Duterte, the party’s chairman, to endorse their candidate for House Speaker but the President preferred to stay out of the matter.

Pacquiao, who served as the party’s campaign manager in the 2019 polls, was tasked by PDP-Laban president Senator Aquilino Pimentel III to announce the party’s candidate.

Ronwald Munsayac, PDP-Laban spokesperson and political affairs head, said they expect all their members to support Velasco.

He said those who will not toe the party decision will face sanction.

"The PDP Laban leadership led by Senator Koko Pimentel believes it is time to put emphasis and value to party discipline. Members of the PDP Laban who will defy its choice for [Speaker] will be sanctioned," he said.

"As a political party, we will move and act as one. In the process, we are also strengthening the political party system here in the Philippines," he added.

He further said the party leadership will meet immediately after the speakership race. "We aim to further strengthen the party by weeding out undisciplined party members," he said. 

Gonzales said at least 200 House members are expected to go for Velasco.

“Sa aming estimate kahapon sa meeting with other parties, more or less 200 members na ang pipirma at susuporta kay Velasco,” Gonzales said at press conference after a video conference with Pacquiao.

Leaders of four major House blocs have also signed a manifesto expressing support for the speakership bid of Velasco.

• gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited June 26

DuDirty's Solomonic Congressional Act,

".... si GMA na ang pipili kung sino ang PAPALIT sa kanya sa HOUSE SPEAKERSHIP."

it is like saying, "... let the devil will decide."

or the Congressmen can vote via their PARTY AFFLIATION ... lago na si Alan Cayetano ... beh buti nga.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file