Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

It's Official! Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman

EgozumEgozum PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Pacquiao hopes Thurman will back up words

MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao is hoping that Keith Thurman’s fists are as good as the American’s loud mouth.

Thurman, the WBA “super” welterweight champion, has been running his mouth since yesterday in New York, when both fighters kicked off their two-city press tour for their July 20 clash (July 21 Manila time).

He had bragged about his plan to send Pacquiao — now 40 years and heading to his 71st professional fight — to retirement.

But Pacquiao isn’t bothered as usual

"It's easy for my opponents to talk before the fight, and I'm used to everything they say. But when we get to the ring, it changes, and it will change on July 20,” the Filipino icon said Thursday (Friday Manila time) in the second and last presser held at The Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles.

Bookies have installed Thurman as an early favorite to win the title clash set at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, and Pacquiao has always welcomed being the underdog.

Besides being unbeaten in 29 fights, the 30-year-old Thurman also enjoys the advantage in youth.

Pacquiao, again, is unperturbed.

"He said he's young, but we'll see who looks young in the ring on July 20. I'm going to let my fists say everything for me,” he added.

Pacquiao holds the “regular” version of the WBA’s 147-pound championship, which he won when he stopped Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia last year.

He defended the same title against Adrien Broner in Las Vegas just last January.

Now, Pacquiao has a chance to unify with Thurman, who in his last fight looked vulnerable and beatable.

"I chose Keith Thurman because he's a great fighter, he's undefeated and because we can give a good fight to the fans. I want to make the fans happy on that night and show that I can still go toe-to-toe with any opponent,” Pacquiao continued, adding that Thurman’s tough talk is firing him up.

"We will work hard in training camp like always for this fight. We're not going to take Keith Thurman lightly or underestimate him. He's a world champion. I'm thankful for what he's been saying, because it's giving me motivation to prove that at 40-years-old, I feel 29,” said Pacquiao. 

Again, the fighting senator hopes Thurman can walk the walk.

"Keith Thurman is aggressive and throws a lot of punches. I'm hoping on July 20 he will follow through with what he says and fight toe-to-toe with me,” he said. 

Comments

• EgozumEgozum PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Manny Pacquiao tells Keith Thurman he'll retire on his own terms as boxers verbally spar

Manny Pacquiao heard Keith Thurman’s bold claim. The unbeaten champion predicted that the result of their July 20 bout would usher Pacquiao into retirement.

Pacquiao, 40, replied Wednesday with his own assertion: that he’d handle his exit strategy on his own terms.

“He’s saying things before we fight, but I will send a message to him in the ring about exactly who he’s fighting; he will come to know that,” Pacquiao said Wednesday as he and Thurman stopped at the Beverly Hills Hotel to promote their bout. “No man can dictate when I’m going to retire.

“I’ve been in this sport two decades. Nobody intimidates me. Thurman should respect his elders, especially this elder.”

Thurman (29-0, 22 knockouts) said during a media session in New York on Tuesday that he intended to finish Pacquiao’s career in the ring.

“If you understand boxing history, you know that times change,” Thurman said. “Boxing is in a new era. Come July 20, Pacquiao will disappear. He’ll always be remembered in the sport, but I’m doing to Pacquiao what he did to Oscar De La Hoya. I’m excited to be the guy who shows Manny Pacquiao where the exit is.”

Thurman was referring to when Pacquiao stopped De La Hoya in 2008.

Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 knockouts) is confronting a second consecutive foe more than 10 years younger. In January, the Philippines Senator convincingly out-boxed former four-division world champion Adrien Broner by unanimous decision in Las Vegas.

In Thurman, 30, Pacquiao meets a former World Boxing Council champion who relinquished that belt and has fought only twice since June 2016 because of surgery to his right elbow and a left hand injury. On Jan. 26, one week after Pacquiao defeated Broner, Thurman emerged with a sluggish majority decision over Josesito Lopez.

That showing wasn’t as impressive as Pacquiao’s, although it was enough to establish Thurman as a better than an even-money favorite over Pacquiao — bet $135 to win $100 — in Las Vegas sports books.

“I’ve seen [Thurman’s] style and I know his techniques, and I know I’ll win,” Pacquiao said. “Talking trash before the fight, saying he’ll send me to retirement … I want to give him a lesson.”

The bout will take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and be televised on Fox pay-per-view.

“I love being an underdog because I’ve been an underdog my entire life. It’s great motivation and it encourages me to train hard,” Pacquiao said. “Fighting an undefeated fighter is a thrill because I enjoy taking that record away from them.

“I promise that the best is yet to come, and I assure you Keith Thurman doesn’t scare me. He inspires me.”

Pacquiao said he’s capable of fighting two or three more elite bouts after Thurman, noting that unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been silent about a rematch since Pacquiao humbled Broner. The Pacquiao-Thurman winner will be in position to meet either the winner of a potential late-summer bout between former four-division champion Mikey Garcia and former two-division champion Danny Garcia, or the coming welterweight unification meeting between Errol Spence Jr. and Shawn Porter.

Thurman defeated Porter and Danny Garcia by narrow decisions in back-to-back fights in 2016 and 2017. Those bouts have been his most substantial tests.

Pacquiao counters with a legacy that includes retired legends De La Hoya, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez, Miguel Cotto and Tim Bradley Jr. as beaten foes. Current WBC champion Porter worked his way up from being a Pacquiao sparring partner.

That voluminous ring experience, combined with the assessment that “my speed, focus and power are all still there,” give Pacquiao the confidence to answer Thurman’s talk by summarizing, “This story is 40 years in the making, and I want to prove I can still beat an undefeated champion.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime fight in a lifetime of memorable fights.”

Manny Pacquiao vs. Keith Thurman: Passing of the Torch?

It always happens doesn’t it? The changing of the guard. The passing of the torch. Keith “One Time” Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs) has a chance to make history. On Saturday July 20, 2019, Thurman will have the biggest fight of his life when he takes on eight-division champion, Manny “Pac Man” Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KOs). On paper, this matchup seems as though it could go either way. Pacquiao holds the edge in terms of experience and quality of opposition. Thurman on the other hand comes in as the young, undefeated champion. One who has already made his mark in the sport of boxing. Thurman, who is known for outpointing both Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia, is looking to build off of his most recent victory against Josesito Lopez. It was a performance in which Thurman did not look very sharp. Coming back from a 22-month layoff due to various injuries, the undefeated WBA Welterweight champion took a hit in the standings as it relates to his contemporaries. Thurman hears the chatter and welcomes the doubters. “Lets be clear. I didn’t have the best performance against Josesito Lopez,” said Thurman during his New York City press tour stop. “But what people have to remember is that I was coming off of a long lay off, and credit to Lopez, he really came to fight that night. At the end of the day I got the job done. I got the rust off and I’m looking to be the best Keith Thurman come July 22nd.” These words by Thurman ring true. Be that as its may, taking one tune-up fight and immediately jumping into a contest against Pacquiao is a monumental leap. Thurman, for what its worth, is slightly favored coming into this contest. Many fighters would lead you to believe that they don’t pay attention to the odds makers. Pacquiao on the other hand not only sees the odds, but he is also using it as motivation. “I use it as motivation,” said Pacquiao. “Sometimes it can be difficult to stay motivated when you know you are supposed to win, but this is a different feeling. I want to prove to everyone that my time in boxing is not done yet.” This contest has a bit of an ironic feel to it. Over 10 years ago a much younger Manny Pacquiao not only defeated, but he essentially retired hall of fame fighter, Oscar De La Hoya. Thurman will now try to play the part that Pacquiao once did. “I’m going to do to him what he did to Oscar De La Hoya,” said Thurman. “Make sure you tune in on July 20th. I’m going to retire Manny Pacquiao.”

Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman Ready to Prove Their Dominance

Keith Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs) and Manny Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KOs) kicked off their media tour press conference at the Gotham Hall in New York City. The contest is slated to take place on Saturday July 20th, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Thurman, who ended a 22 month lay off when he took on Josesito Lopez on January 26th at the Barclay Center, is looking to add a big name to always impressive resume. To be frank, Thurman didn’t look as sharp as he normally does in his contest against Lopez. It was clear that the long layoff had took a toll on him. Coming into this contest against Pacquiao, many have questioned which version of Thurman we are going to see come fight night. Thurman reassured everyone that he will be back to his normal self come fight night.

“I came off that 22 month layoff against Lopez and there was definitely some rust but I was able to knock it off in that fight. For my fight against Pacquiao you will be see a much better Keith Thurman. I am still an elite level boxer.”

It has been four years since Manny Pacquiao has entered a contest as the betting underdog. His 2015 fight against Floyd Mayweather. The eight division world champion is keen to this stat and admitted that it has lit a fire inside of him. One that he hasn’t felt in quite some time.

“I am very motivated. I haven’t felt this way since the Oscar De La Hoya fight. I am very motivated.” Said Pacquiao.

At age 30, Thurman will enjoy a 10 year age advantage over his foe come fight night. Not only does the undefeated Thurman believe that he will defeat Pacquiao but he also believes that it will be in devastating fashion.

“He’s a great fighter, there’s no doubt about that, he has done a lot in the sport of boxing but he’s too small. After I give him this beating he won’t want to fight anymore. If I was all of you guys I would tune in because this is going to be his last fight.”

Could this be a passing of the guard? Or will Pacquiao prove that he still has plenty left in the tank? As both men faced off one last time before a packed house in New York City, it became clear that this fight is actually taking place. Both men talked a good game, but come July 20th they will get the opportunity to stake their claim as the best in the world.

Thurman: If Pacquiao Wins, I'd Probably Retire - Bow Down

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Keith Thurman vowed to send Manny Pacquiao into retirement after the two welterweights clash July 20 for a Fox pay-per-view event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.    

Thurman wants to do what Pacquiao did to Oscar De La Hoya in 2008. Pacquiao knocked out the legendary fighter in eight rounds and went on to have a legendary career of his own. De La Hoya never fought again and became a promoter.

Thurman envisions a similar outcome with him catapulting into superstardom and Pacquiao disappearing from the fight game. But what happens if the 40-year-old fighter defeats Thurman?

keith-thurman_4

Thurman said Wednesday he would consider retirement, and he already has a second career in mind in case he were to lose to a fighter 10 years older than him.

“Pshh … probably,” Thurman said when asked about retiring if Pacquiao beats him. “I’d at least think about it. I’d at least be like, ‘Can I do some more commentating or something? Can I do some more commentating?’ Momma said I look good in a suit. I don’t think she wants to see her boy get punched on TV. Getting beat up by an old man.”

It’s highly doubtful that Thurman would call it quits and shift toward a full-time TV analyst gig if he were to lose to Pacquiao. But after fielding the farfetched question Thurman saw an opportunity to sell the highly anticipated bout. A loser-leaves-town match might lure a few more fight fans to fork over PPV money.

Thurman was filled with many one-liners during the second leg of back-to-back news conferences at The Beverly Hills Hotel to promote the summer showdown.

“I would bow down in the middle of the ring,” Thurman added about a potential loss to Pacquiao.  “I would bow down in the middle of the ring. I’ll say, ‘Oh, senator. Oh, senator. Greatest yee, oh, senator.’

“This is what you call interview bars, OK. I’m not a rapper. I’m not an actor. I’m a world class fighter. I know the fight game, OK. Blood sweat and tears for 23 years.”

Pacquiao said he’s used to facing fighters who like to rhyme and trash talk. But the Filipino senator believes that Thurman will back up his talking in the ring. He’s just not sold on this being his last fight.

“I told him I’m not Oscar De La Hoya,” said Pacquiao, who began his professional career 24 years ago when Thurman was six years old. “I’m different than (De La Hoya). The way I work hard. The way I prepare for my fight. I’m still motivated. The desire is still there 100 percent.”

Pacquiao: Thurman is The Type of Challenge That I Crave

Keith Thurman keeps calling Manny Pacquiao a legend, and in the boxing world, he probably is correct.

Then the undefeated welterweight champion keeps promising to end the ring career of the senator from the Philippines.

That could happen, too. For once, Pacquiao is the underdog in the July 20 fight in Las Vegas for the WBA belt.

pacquiao-thurman 2

Or Pacquiao, holder of titles in eight weight classes during 24 years in the sport, could continue his Hall of Fame-caliber career at age 40 with another impressive win.

What Thurman wants is to fully establish himself as the top gun in a loaded division. It's his first pay-per-view fight despite being 29-0 with 22 knockouts. It's also an opportunity to prove that the rustiness he showed in a January decision over Joselito Lopez is gone after Thurman fought only three times in three years, in part due to injuries.

Pacquiao-Thurman is an intriguing matchup. Although Pacquiao had lost a unanimous decision to Jeff Horn in 2017, he determined he was not through when many — possibly most — in the boxing world had written him off. He won the WBA crown from Lucas Matthysse a year later, then easily beat Broner.

If nothing else in a 61-7-2 career, he has staying power.

“All my life I have confronted challenges -- in life, in politics, and inside the ring,” said Pacquiao.

“Keith Thurman is the type of challenge I crave as a fighter. He is the biggest and best test. That is why I want to fight him. We are going to give boxing fans an exciting fight and a great night.”

Pacquiao Warns: I'll Show Thurman What It's Like To Face Me!

Eight division champion Manny Pacquiao is in full training mode for his upcoming showdown with Keith Thurman.

Pacquiao will challenge Thurman for the full WBC welterweight crown on July 20th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The bout will headline a Fox Sports Pay-Per-View card.

”For this fight, I will work hard. I haven’t felt this motivated and excited since the Oscar De La Hoya fight. I feel like I’m back against the best fighters in the world,” Pacquiao told The Manila Times.

manny-pacquiao_16

Since suffering a controversial twelve round decision loss to Jeff Horn in 2017, Pacquiao demolished Lucas Matthysse last year and then dominated Adrien Broner over twelve rounds back in January.

Pacquiao, who was training at the at the Elorde Boxing Gym inside the Mall of Asia in the Philippines.

The WBA's "regular" champion says he is currently working on "hand speed and footwork."

“We’re going to work on those things, to use against what I expect will be an aggressive offense from Thurman,” Pacquiao said.

Thurman has opened up as a slight favorite to win the contest. Pacquiao has not been the underdog since May of 2015, when he clashed with Floyd Mayweather - and prior to that the Filipino star was a underdog against De La Hoya in 2008.

“I like being the underdog for this fight because that gives me more focus in training. I’ve been careless and over-confident in some fights, but this time around it’s different. Keith Thurman is a good fighter and we’re going to make sure the fans are happy on July 20,” Pacquiao stressed.

“I’m the kind of fighter that I don’t talk too much. I do my talking in the ring. I can do a lot of things in that ring. As I have been saying, I feel I’m 29 years old like when I fought Oscar. (Thurman) can prove his words in the ring. I’m going to be a warrior on July 20 and show Keith Thurman what it’s like to be in the ring with me."

Manny Pacquiao Is Facing His Toughest Opponent Ever In Keith Thurman

POSTED ON 06/27/2019

Its been a long and storied career for Manny Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KOs). Arguably no one in the history of boxing has a better resume, as it is littered with hall of famer after hall of famer. The boxer turned Filipino Senator has won world titles in a record eight weight division.

Come July 20th in Las Vegas, Nevada he will have the toughest test of his career. On that night he will be taking on the undefeated WBA Welterweight champion Keith Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs). The aforementioned Thurman isn’t quite a hall of famer but he is a legitimate great fighter that is in the prime of his career.

Pacquiao has faced a who’s who of fighters. His four fights with Juan Manuel Marquez were all classic battles. Marquez, who is a four division world champion and surefire lock to get into the hall of fame, only managed to get one victory from Pacquiao. How about Erik Morales? Again, another absolute lock for the hall, managed to defeat Pacquiao once in their three battles with one another. Pacquiao put an end to their rivalry with a third round knockout win in their last contest, proving that he is the superior fighter between the two.

Marco Antonio Barrera entered the ring twice against Pacquiao and both times he failed to get his hand raised after the bout. Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, Timothy Bradley Jr, Shane Mosley and of course, the one and only Floyd Mayweather have stepped inside of the squared circle with the eight division world champion. Pacquiao didn’t always leave with the victory but he always battled to the end. In fact, of those names that were just rattled off, only Floyd Mayweather managed to remain unbeaten against the Filipino star.

Does Keith Thurman deserve a spot amongst this illustrious group? Take nothing away from the career Thurman has put together thus far, but he does not. With that being said however, he is slowly but surely making his own path to the hall of fame. Victories over Robert Guerrero, Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia have proven his level of greatness in this current day and age.

When compared to the other great Welterweights of his current class including Errol Spence Jr, Terence Crawford and Shawn Porter, Thurman has put together a resume that trumps all of theirs.

Although Thurman wont be the best fighter Pacquiao has faced, he will be the most difficult when considering the circumstances. When Manny faced his murderous row of competition, he was roughly around the same age of his competitors. In the case of his July 20th opponent Keith Thurman, Pacquiao will have a decided age disadvantage of 10 years, 40 years of age compared to just 30 years of age for Thurman.

The eight division world champion has never ducked a challenge. Come fight night, he will rely on his experience and skill to overcome his much younger opponent. Let’s be clear, this contest is not a mismatch. It’s a testament to the skill that Pacquiao possesses to still be able to compete at an elite level even into his 40s.

On paper, this won’t be the toughest bout of his career however, make no mistake about it, Pacquiao will have to push himself to the limit to secure this victory. Keith Thurman will prove to be the toughest test of his hall of fame career.

Pacquiao Warns: I'm So Motivated By Keith Thurman's Trash Talk

At 40, Manny Pacquiao is confident that he has enough left in the tank to defeat Keith Thurman on July 20 in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao, the "regular" welterweight champion of the World Boxing Association, seeks to take away the 'super' title and the undefeated record of Thurman to have a single beltholder in the division. He claims to be ready to shut up Thurman, who vowed to destroy him in the fight being held in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"I'm so motivated for this fight for all of the trash talk he's saying and I want to prove him wrong," said Pacquiao, who has a 61-7-2 record, to the Ahora o Nunca program. "The most dangerous thing is when you're not ready and in condition."

manny-pacquiao 6_56

Thurman, 29-0, makes the sixth belt defense he won in 2015 after being an interim champion since 2012.

Pacquiao admitted that he has had to work harder than usual in recent years because his longevity makes it harder for him to recover from daily workouts, combined with his duties as a senator in the Philippines.

"At this age, at 40, there is a level of adjustment in terms of body recovery, unlike when you were young you pushed your body in training day by day, you recovered at night," said Pacquiao during and interview with ESPN.

"At this stage, where you are strong, it is difficult to recover the next day, but right now, the speed is there, the power, the speed ... by the grace of God."

The champion in eight different weight divisions said he maintains his weight by eating meat, chicken and protein to be able to have energy for the work he does in the afternoons after finishing his responsibilities in the Philippine congress. He admitted that he no longer likes spicy food, however, due to stomach reflux problems.

As for a second fight against Floyd Mayweather, against whom he lost by unanimous decision in 2015, he said he was willing to do so as long as his opponent comes out of retirement.

"I do not have an idea [if that fight will ever happen], I'm active in sports and he's retired, if he comes back and decides to fight me - I'm here," Pacquiao said.

• alter_nikalter_nik PEx Rookie ⭐

Keith Thurman is finally catching up with Manny Pacquiao

ST. PETERSBURG — The champ pulled up to the St. Pete Boxing Club. A fan spotted him from across the street and made his way to “One Time” Thurman’s BMW. They exchanged words and smiles. Keith Thurman pressed some money into the man’s hands.

“He’ll be back tomorrow,” Thurman said. “I’ll help him again.”

That is one thing you need to know about Thurman, the 29-0 WBA world welterweight titleholder. The Clearwater native has never forgotten where he came from. He’s a local treasure.

For the record, Thurman isn’t moving to Montreal.

“Hell, no,” he said, grinning. “Too cold, baby.”

Thurman, 30, is warming to his next task. With two-a-day workouts, he is readying for the biggest fight of his life, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the kind of fight Thurman has been chasing his whole life, the kind that makes greatness: 12 rounds against legend Manny Pacquiao for the world super welterweight championship.

Pacquiao is guaranteed $20 million. Throw in pay-per-view and Thurman will enjoy the first eight-figure payday of his career.

Keith Thurman left is shown in a mirror as he warms up before he spars at the St Pete Boxing Club He is also shown in a older boxing poster right  SCOTT KEELER  Times
    Keith Thurman, left, is shown in a mirror as he warms up before he spars at the St. Pete Boxing Club. He is also shown in a older boxing poster, right. (SCOTT KEELER | Times)

The fight is Saturday, July 20, the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. Neil Armstrong is still the titleholder as first man down the ladder and onto the lunar surface. Which brings us to another thing you need to know about Thurman.

“Never happened,” Thurman said.

What, the moon landing?

“Never happened.”

Thurman stopped bouncing around the ring, throwing jabs.

“The real question is we did it once and it’s 50 years later and we haven’t done it again,” he said. “When they asked Obama about it, they said the technology didn’t exist. As if it’s lost technology, as if 45 years ago we built the pyramids and we can’t refigure it out. C’mon. The technology doesn’t exist because it never existed.”

Thurman’s trainer, Dan Birmingham, smiled.

“The moon walk was televised, wasn’t it?” Birmingham said. “But that’s Keith. He looks at things different. He thinks outside the box. He has a lot of ideas about life. But he’s inside the box when he’s in here.”

Inside the box, Thurman continues to stalk greatness. For six years, as he built his career, fighting either Floyd Mayweather or Pacquiao became paramount.

Keith Thurman gets taped up by Dan Birmingham co-owner of the St Pete Boxing Club in preparation for his July 20 title bout against Manny Pacquiao SCOTT KEELER  Times
    Keith Thurman gets taped up by Dan Birmingham, co-owner of the St. Pete Boxing Club, in preparation for his July 20 title bout against Manny Pacquiao. (SCOTT KEELER | Times)

Mayweather is safely ensconced in retirement with a perfect record and bank account. So it’s Pacquiao, 40, who is clearly on the back side of his illustrious career, but who just as clearly is one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters in history, having won 12 world titles. He is still boxing’s only eight-division champion. He brings aura, especially in his native Philippines, where he serves as a senator in its congress.

How many people get a chance to punch a politician right in the mouth?

“He’s a legend,” Thurman said. “I get the last remaining legend. He’s like a dodo bird. He’s like a dinosaur. He might be old, but he’s not extinct. That’s my job, make him extinct.”

“He’s a quick-footed, quick-handed southpaw with a huge heart,” Birmingham said. “Pacquiao brings a whole nation, a whole continent, a whole following.”

Thurman brings himself.

“It’s a defining fight for his career and his legacy,” Birmingham said.

“He’s my dog, man. Keith is my own world champion,” said St. Petersburg resident Winky Wright, a former two-time light middleweight champ. Wright’s defining fight was a dominating win against Felix Trinidad in 2005.

“Pacquiao is one of the greats, but this is Keith’s time. These are the kind of fights you need to win to leave a legacy. Keith needs this fight, definitely.”

Thurman’s workout on this day seemed to reflect that.

“Time to go! Time to go!” he shouted as he danced in the ring. “Game over, baby, game over. Stick and move. Stick and move. Boxing at its finest, Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman.”

Afterward, he said, “A lot of fighters have skills, they have talent. The one thing that you can’t train is a strong mind. Right before a fight, backstage, you can train hard, but you don’t really know what the other guy’s confidence is. It’s called punkin’ yourself out. You let your mind get to you. You punk yourself out.

“For me, to step in like a lion, I go back into my history. I go back to my running 6 miles a day. When I’m on the spin bike an hour every night. When I’m hitting the heavy bag, when I’m hitting the mitts with Coach Dan, when I’m averaging over 150 punches per round, that gives me confidence that I’m prepared. We’ve never not been prepared — never. It’s a gladiator sport, right? To beat a lion, you have to have the heart of a lion.”

Keith Thurman spars with fighter Robeisy Ramirez SCOTT KEELER  Times
    Keith Thurman spars with fighter Robeisy Ramirez. (SCOTT KEELER | Times)

Thurman has done his share of talking heading into the fight, predicting destruction for Pac Man in the neighborhood of six rounds or fewer.

“I just want to poke the bear,” Thurman said. “I’ll shake his hand after. But now it’s time. I just want to serve him up, medium rare, you know?”

Whenever Thurman doubts himself, he goes back to the late Ben Getty, the trainer who first took Thurman under his wing.

“I always think about Ben because it’s a ritual,” Thurman said. “He’d say the same thing again and again like a broken record. Before every fight. And Manny is going to get what Ben always wanted: ‘From the bell, go out there and hit him, boy. Show them your power. Hit him, boy.’

“Manny has fought a lot of great fighters. I don’t think he’s fought a lot of boxers. I consider myself a boxer-puncher, definitely not your average fighter. His past competition isn’t really preparing him for Keith Thurman.”

Thurman isn’t an old 30. At one point he missed 22 months because of various injuries. He has fought only once in 28 months, a win in January over Josesito Lopez.

“I want to remind the world who Keith Thurman really is. I want to remind Keith Thurman who Keith Thurman really is,” he said.

If Thurman beats Pacquiao, there’s a matchup with the winner of the Errol Spence-Shawn Porter fight to unify the WBA, IBF and WBC titles.

That’s for then.

“This is the big one,” Thurman said. “We get a KO here, we make Ben Getty proud. We make 23 years of hard work all worth it.”

He doesn’t know how far into his 30s he will fight. He doesn’t want to be doing this at 40, like Pacquiao. Will that be enough? Will Thurman, who has been married for two years and wants a family, step away? Does he find a tree and play his guitar or flute?

“I’m a hop-around kind of guy,” Thurman said. “I jump into hobbies, and I jump out of them. I’ve never stayed doing anything for a long time except boxing, 23 years in the game. If I had been playing guitar for 23 years, I’d probably have a few gigs and wouldn’t have to be getting punched around.

“I love travel. That’s a hobby right now. I want to do some stuff in America, see things here. Maybe rent a driver and an RV. I want to see the redwoods. Bucket list. Something that’s been there forever, one of the wonders of the world.”

Saturday is Thurman’s forever. Beat Pacquiao and his legacy in boxing will last as long as Armstrong’s footprint on the … well, you know.

43 experts and boxers pick Manny Pacquiao vs. Keith Thurman winner: The results may surprise you

Manny Pacquiao slightly favored to defeat Keith Thurman this Saturday night

The predictions are in from around the boxing world and the expert group that was polled is nearly split 50-50, but overall gives eight-division champion Senator Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao a slight edge over WBA Welterweight World Champion Keith "One Time" Thurman ahead of their Premier Boxing Champions on FOX Sports Pay-Per-View main event this Saturday from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
    The tally was 24-to-19 for Pacquiao over Thurman, with three picking a draw. Pacquiao even has a chance to stop Thurman based on the picks of at least three former champions who participated in the poll, while two picked Thurman to end the night early. In addition, eight respondents believe the fight is so evenly-matched that it will end in a split-decision.

Total:
    Pacquiao - 24
    Thurman - 19
    Draw - 3

• keehlnatekeehlnate PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    magaling mag promote tong si keith thurman ha. 

excited to watch the fight. Hanap ako ng pwedeng panooran ng live

• tiyo_panchotiyo_pancho Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Ingat si pacman dito. Baka ma one time sya nito, baka sya magpa-retire nang tuluyan kay pacquiao. Kung di nya ma-ko si thurman, baka masilat sya rito, at sya naman ang "may tulog".

Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman make weight

Sub Lead19-Jul-19

Keith Thurman bigger, but Manny Pacquiao favored

Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman make weight

Sub Lead19-Jul-19

Keith Thurman bigger, but Manny Pacquiao favored

PBC on FOX PPV Weigh-ins - July 19_ 2019_07_20_2019_Weigh-in_Ryan Hafey _ Premier Boxing Champions
    PBC on FOX PPV Weigh-ins - July 19_ 2019_07_20_2019_Weigh-in_ Premier Boxing Champions

Keith Thurman 146.5 vs. Manny Pacquiao 145.5 WBA welterweight title

Caleb Plant 168 vs. Mike Lee 167 IBF super middlweight title

Yordenis Ugas 147 vs. Omar Figueroa Jr 147 welterweights

Sergey Lipinets 147 vs. Jayar Inson 147 welterweights

Luis Nery 118.5 vs. Juan Carlos Payano 117.5 bantamweight

Efe Ajagba 242 vs. Ali Eren Demirezen 247.5 heavyweights

Emmanuel Medina 147 vs. Peter Dobson 146.5 welterweights

Abel Ramos 147 vs. Jimmy Williams 146.5 welterweights

Genisis Libranza 113 vs. Carlos Maldonado 113 bantamweights

John Leo Dato 127.5 vs. Juan Antonio Lopez 127.5 super featherweights

MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV

Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman — preview, start time, how to watch   

Keith Thurman certainly seems like more than the modern Manny Pacquiao should be able to handle.

Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs) is a decade younger, certainly more powerful and maybe even a bit faster than his famously speedy opponent. Thurman is a tough, voluble welterweight champion in his prime competitive years, and Pacquiao represents the biggest fight of his career - a once-in-a-lifetime chance to pound a boxing great into retirement.

“It’s been a build up and a progression my whole career toward this moment on Saturday night,” Thurman said. “This really is the outcome of an individual living out their dream.”

WHERE AND WHEN

The fight will take place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand.

Coverage of Pacuaio vs Thurman begins on Main Event at 11am (AEST) on Sunday, July 21. The ring walks for the main event will likely happen around 2pm.

So why are the 40-year-old Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KOs) and trainer Freddie Roach so confident heading into the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas? And why is the older eight-division champion actually a slight betting favourite against one of the best 147-pounders in the world?

After 18 years together, Pacquiao and Roach believe Thurman is just another challenge to be overcome by hard work, smart planning and the psychological edge of experience.

Thurman looks daunting on paper, but Pacquiao and Roach are virtuosos on canvas.

“Tomorrow night, class is in session,” Pacquiao said Friday after the weigh-in. “I hope Keith Thurman studied hard, because Professor Pacquiao gives very hard tests.”

Pacquiao and Thurman both hold versions of the WBA 147-pound title heading into this Fox Sports pay-per-view showdown. In Roach’s educated mind, the vaunted Thurman has far more questions to answer than Pacquiao, who is coming into this fight off back-to-back victories over Lucas Matthysse and Adrien Broner.

Can Thurman recapture his prime fighting form after two years of relative inactivity caused by a 22-month injury layoff? Can he match Pacquiao’s legendary speed while showing the stamina to fight effectively for 12 rounds against Manny’s famed pace?

“I hope Thurman brings his best, because that’s when Manny will be at his best,” Roach said. “Thurman is a good fighter, but Manny beats good fighters all the time. And I don’t think Keith Thurman is a great fighter. I think Broner is a better fighter, and Manny took care of him (easily).”

While Thurman is in the biggest bout of his career, the Filipino senator’s late-career resurgence also reaches a vital point Saturday. Despite what Roach says, Thurman seems certain to be a big step up in competition from Matthysse and Broner, and the cumulative effects of a boxing career rarely wear well after 40.

“Manny isn’t going to do anything with those little T-Rex arms,” Thurman said. “He’s about to get beat up. I get to punch a senator in the face, and he’s going to feel it.”

Boxers Manny Pacquiao L from the Philippines and Keith Thurman R from the USA face off during their weigh-in
    Boxers Manny Pacquiao (L) from the Philippines and Keith Thurman (R) from the USA face off during their weigh-

Thurman earned the nickname “One Time” with his one-punch knockout power, yet he has stopped just one of his seven opponents since December 2013. And though Thurman is still in his ostensible prime, he has shown a few signs of weariness with his sport.

He has never looked more vulnerable as a professional than he did in his comeback victory last January over tough veteran Josesito Lopez, who rocked Thurman repeatedly and even won a 10-8 round without a knockdown. More recently, Thurman has repeatedly spoken about how he’s eager to get a few big paydays and then get out of boxing - a sensible mentality that nonetheless could indicate a fighter’s focus isn’t completely on competition anymore.

Thurman has been totally focused in public appearances for this big-money bout, however.

“I’m going to do to Manny Pacquiao what he did to Oscar De La Hoya,” Thurman said, referring to Pacquiao’s landmark victory over the Golden Boy in 2008.

While Thurman would love to retire his opponent, Pacquiao plans to keep competing indefinitely, and he doesn’t dismiss the notion of fighting to 50 and beyond, as Bernard Hopkins did. He has openly looked beyond Thurman to his hopes of a second fight with the retired Floyd Mayweather, or a unification bout with champion Errol Spence.

But just in case anybody believes he isn’t focused on Thurman, Pacquiao said that even his mother took offence at Thurman’s pre-fight trash talk , including his vow to “crucify” the vocally evangelical Pacquiao.

“I’m just always smiling, no matter what Keith says,” Pacquiao said. “It’s easy to say things, but it’s not easy to do it in the ring. I’ve been in this sport longer than Keith Thurman, so my experience will be the difference.”

Photos: Manny Pacquiao, Keith Thurman - Ready For War in Vegas

Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao will end his two-year hiatus from a U.S. boxing ring when he returns to Las Vegas to defend his World Boxing Association welterweight world title against former four-division world champion and must-see attraction Adrien "The Problem" Broner.  (photos by Stephanie Trapp, Fox Sports)

pacquiao-thurman 2_4

The Pacquiao vs. Broner world championship event will take place Saturday, Jan. 19 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao vs. Broner and its co-main event fights will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME PPV and presented by Premier Boxing Champions beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

pacquiao-thurman 3_5

Pacquaio is coming off a vintage performance in July where he stopped Argentine slugger and world champion Lucas Matthysse inside seven rounds. Now, Pacquiao returns to the U.S. in his remarkable fourth reign as welterweight world champion. Broner, one of the most talented fighters in boxing, is aiming for his second stint as 147-pound champion. If victorious, Broner also will add a career-defining win against a future Hall of Famer to his already stellar resume.

pacquiao-thurman 4_5

Promoted by MP Promotions, Mayweather Promotions and TGB Promotions in association with About Billions Promotions, tickets to the Pacquiao vs. Broner welterweight world championship are on sale. Tickets are priced at $1,500, $1,000, $750, $500, $300, $200, $100, not including applicable service charges, and can be purchased online through AXS.com, charge by phone at 866-740-7711 or in person at any MGM Resorts International box office.

pacquiao-thurman 5_5

pacquiao-thurman 2_5

pacquiao-thurman 3_4

pacquiao-thurman 5_4

pacquiao-thurman 1_5

pacquiao-thurman 1_4

keith-thurman 2_14

keith-thurman 1_17

manny-pacquiao 2_78

manny-pacquiao 1_74

• CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
    Pacquiao by decision
  • blue_tracerblue_tracer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    kung hindi tatamaan si pacman ng "one time" tsamba punch ni thurman mukha nga sa decision mauuwi ito. in favor of manny. 👍
  • @CaptainCharisma may alam ka ba na streaming site ng laban na to sir? Thanks. 
  • keehlnatekeehlnate PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Pacquiao via 4th round stoppage

PENGENG LINK
  • blue_tracerblue_tracer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    sa lahat ng mga laban ni pacquiao mukhang ngayon lang walang links sa pex. 😱😂