COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Singapore Travel

My partner and I will be travelling to Singapore for 3 nights this June. I'm currently looking at booking hotel reservations already and currently considering Amrise Hotel in Geylang as it is near the city center and the price is the cheapest that I can see online around Php1500 per night. Any comments about this hotel or any other suggestions around that price range? Also, any suggestions about places to go to? My friend highly suggested the Jurong Bird Park. I obviously want to go to the Merlion Park and Universal Studios. Anywhere else that's worth the trip to visit?

Comments

• lanestolkerlanestolker PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    You can post or back read here for a more comprehensive thread related to your inquiry.
    Soul Searching in SINGAPORE thread 4 (pls READ page 1 before you post your Enquiries)
  • hsusonhsuson Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    My partner and I will be travelling to Singapore for 3 nights this June. I'm currently looking at booking hotel reservations already and currently considering Amrise Hotel in Geylang as it is near the city center and the price is the cheapest that I can see online around Php1500 per night. Any comments about this hotel or any other suggestions around that price range? Also, any suggestions about places to go to? My friend highly suggested the Jurong Bird Park. I obviously want to go to the Merlion Park and Universal Studios. Anywhere else that's worth the trip to visit?
    Geylang is the seedy side of SG, where the brothels and prostitutes are located.  Bettr stay in the Lavender area where many affordable hotels are.
  • Naked_SalvationNaked_Salvation Moderator PEx Moderator
    hsuson said:
    Geylang is the seedy side of SG, where the brothels and prostitutes are located.  Bettr stay in the Lavender area where many affordable hotels are.
    This is true but it does not mean that Geylang is not a safe place here in SG. I lived in that area for a year and it's actually safe. Also, Geylang is known for it's "makan" (food/eat) places.

Anyway, you can explore more about this here -- Soul Searching in SINGAPORE thread 4 (pls READ page 1 before you post your Enquiries)
    edited April 2019
    hsuson said:
    This is true but it does not mean that Geylang is not a safe place here in SG. I lived in that area for a year and it's actually safe. Also, Geylang is known for it's "makan" (food/eat) places.

Anyway, you can explore more about this here -- Soul Searching in SINGAPORE thread 4 (pls READ page 1 before you post your Enquiries)

Geylang is safe but you may not want your partner to stray in the middle of the night .

Haaha:D
    ^Well... Geylang may be known for these type of girls but it's not exclusive to that area. Chinatown, a known backpackers area here in SG, is also a place for prostitutes. Kahit nga sa Orchard, prime area here in SG, may mga area na madami ring prostitutes. 
    edited April 2019
    ^Well... Geylang may be known for these type of girls but it's not exclusive to that area. Chinatown, a known backpackers area here in SG, is also a place for prostitutes. Kahit nga sa Orchard, prime area here in SG, may mga area na madami ring prostitutes. 
    There is a good reason why Geylang has the Cheapest hotel room rates.

If Orchard Rd. is like our Ayala Ave, Geylang is like our Pasay.

I wouldn't recommend a Geylang hotel to any of my friends, hahaha
    ^Geylang is Ermita, Orchard is Makati Ave, and Chinatown is Pasay.

IMO, Geylang hotels are okay if you're not a fussy type of traveler especially if your budget is limited.
    edited April 2019

IMO, Geylang hotels are okay if you're not a fussy type of traveler especially if your budget is limited.
    I guess our standards are very different.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend the Geylang area to my friends, unless they enjoy Hookers waving at them :D
  • lanestolkerlanestolker PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hsuson said:

IMO, I wouldn't recommend the Geylang area to my friends, unless they enjoy Hookers waving at them :D
    Yeah. To each his own.

Kung ako naman, depende rin siguro kung ano yung personality ng tao. When we were there, we chose to exclude Geylang among our choices kasi family kami plus may kid pa. So mahirap.

Siguro kung ako lang with my siblings, keri lang kasi wala kaming paki (or we can just be strong-faced to ignore them) although haven't tried that kung tolerable lang ba talaga. Haha. Pero kung kasali parents namin, hanap nalang kami ng iba.
    hsuson said:

Kung ako naman, depende rin siguro kung ano yung personality ng tao. When we were there, we chose to exclude Geylang among our choices kasi family kami plus may kid pa. So mahirap.

Siguro kung ako lang with my siblings, keri lang kasi wala kaming paki (or we can just be strong-faced to ignore them) although haven't tried that kung tolerable lang ba talaga. Haha. Pero kung kasali parents namin, hanap nalang kami ng iba.
    Precisely.  Rosielleane trip to SG seems to be her first time.  Pangit naman kung panay puta and horny ***** hunting guys ang nasa paligid ng hotel niya.

Actually na culture shock yung isang friend namin when we went to Geylang.  But his brother got excited and tried out the brothel prostitute while we ate at a nearby Geylang resto.

Pang boys night out talaga. Hahaha :rofl:
    edited April 2019
    hsuson said:

Yeah. To each his own.

Precislely, Geylang and its hookers are not for everyone.  Especially for a 1st time SG visitor like Rosielleane.

I advise my first-timer friends to book a hotel near (1 or 2 subway stops from) the Orchard area to enjoy the city at its best.

• NinaGoodNinaGood Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    I envy you! Once I've been to Singapore and this city is impossible to forget! Looks like nothing else in the world, definitely a city of future with awesome futuristic architecture. Booking sites from this source https://travelsites.com/booking-sites/ offer great choice of accomodation, and as for the places of interest, I highly recommend Orchard Road, The Merlion, Vivo City and Singapore River.
  • star_burn17star_burn17 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Surprisingly mura mga souvenir sa Singapore kaya ang dami kong nabiling pasalubong
  • yellowumbrella03yellowumbrella03 PEx Rookie ⭐
    paano magtravel sa Singapore on a budget?? haha
  • Nice info you have posted
  • pong_padourpong_padour Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited June 2019
    Dami namang hotel dito sa Sg bakit sa Geylang pa? LOL
    When my gf visited here, sa Carlton kami nagbook for almost a week. Nung mom and sister ko naman sa Hyatt and Westin.
    Wag na kayo sa Hotel 81 or Fragrance Hotel, mga motmot yun ala SOGO. LOL
    Or mag AriBnB na lang kayo o kaya mga chalet.
  • dzjesdzjes Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Funan Mall Singapore is now re-opened. You can find the latest gadgets here! Hope you can watch my tour of Singapore's new-gen mall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9enxyS9PO4&t=16s
  • Dami namang hotel dito sa Sg bakit sa Geylang pa? LOL
    When my gf visited here, sa Carlton kami nagbook for almost a week. Nung mom and sister ko naman sa Hyatt and Westin.
    Wag na kayo sa Hotel 81 or Fragrance Hotel, mga motmot yun ala SOGO. LOL
    Or mag AriBnB na lang kayo o kaya mga chalet.
    I have a booking on Hotel 81 Dickson next month with my wife and 2 kids. Hindi ba OK for a family of 4?
  • omneeckaomneecka Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    I personally stayed in the red district area also known as Geylang area and i did not encounter any form of prostitution there, btw, i stayed in fragrance hotel ruby branch. 

There's a separate SG thread here with much more inputs, you may want to visit that thread instead. 
  • RetzRetz Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    We always stayed in bugis area whenever is SG maliit lang nga cut size sa mga rooms ng hotel doon sa area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file