COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

REVIEW: Shazam! [2019]

PEx_MoviesPEx_Movies Administrator PEx Admin
edited April 4 in Movie Reviews
SHAZAM!
Oops
…okay did that work? Did I change? No… hmmm I was so sure that would work. Alright then, let’s get to it.

PEx Reviewer : mamabelle
Photo Credit: Warner Bros. Pictures

SHAZAM! is the story of Billy Batson, a streetwise 14-year-old foster kid who can turn into the adult super hero by shouting out one word—SHAZAM! Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Accompanied by Freddy Freeman, friend and superhero enthusiast, they set out to test and challenge the limits of his powers through a variety of joyful reckless stunts.

Asher Angel, stars as the teen Billy Batson alongside Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddy Freeman. With Zachary Levi donning the suit of SHAZAM! (and very well might I add). They are joined by Djimon Hounsou as the Wizard SHAZAM and Mark Strong as the villainous Dr. Thaddeus Sivana. 

It’s no April Fools joke. SHAZAM! is one of the most entertaining and funny superhero movies of DC. It has a distinct tone that sets it apart from any of the DC movies and it ACTUALLY works. It’s very meta and pokes fun on the most obvious superhero tropes that most audiences would already recognize without looking too forced. I daresay it joins the likes of Deadpool in successfully defying what could be the conventional superhero formula. I really enjoyed watching this movie and the fact that I am detached from the original source material was a refreshing change.

What makes this movie so distinct is how it’ll make you laugh so hard during SHAZAM and Freddy’s antics and at the same time tug at your heartstrings during the right moments without breaking too far from its core. It has the right dose of action that will satisfy any superhero fan’s cravings.

My favorite part would be the third act which I will not get into detail to avoid spoiling anything, but this culmination is where I think SHAZAM got things right. Just when you think it will get trapped in the usual superhero trope it pulls itself back out of it. The finale will make you laugh (or in my case scream) so hard. There will be a lot of things going on, but you won’t get drowned out. This is where most comic book/ superhero origin movies usually have its make or break moment. Where the audience is bombarded with plotlines and characters and where the entire story would eventually suffer or take a hit, but this is where I’d say SHAZAM passed with flying colors.

SHAZAM gives you a superhero movie you can thoroughly enjoy without being overly critical or nitpicking it too much. It surely gives a new boost to the DCEU.

Rating 9/10

SHAZAM! comes out in theatres nationwide on April 3.
Discuss the movie here: Shazam!
More movie reviews here: Official PEx Movie Reviews [2019]

Tagged:

Comments

• Surprisingly, I enjoyed the film -- it's a light, funny, and charming film. Although the intensity of the fight scenes fell a bit short, everything else was entertaining. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file