Home PEx Business and Careers Banking and Finance

PSE Trading | First Metro Securities

ehleesyanehleesyan Para kanino ka bumabangon PEx Moderator
edited March 2019 in Banking and Finance

FIRST METRO SECURITIES BROKERAGE CORPORATION

First Metro Securities Brokerage Corporation is a stockbrokerage house licensed to trade in the Philippine Stock Exchange.

Established in 1994, we have been a trusted provider of equity brokering services and solutions to individuals, public and private corporations and other financial institutions for over 20 years

Our strong expertise in the stock market is backed by the strength and stability of FIRST METRO INVESTMENT CORPORATION, the leading investment bank in the country, and the METROBANK GROUP, one the Philippines' largest financial conglomerate.

We provide our clients with easy and convenient access to the listed securities in the stock market, either thru our state-of-the-art online trading platforms or with the assistance of our seasoned and knowledgeable equity brokers.

Our strategic alliances with highly regarded local and international economic and market research providers give our clients access to superior and reliable economic and market information, analysis and recommendation.

We are the market maker and one of the authorized participants of the country’s first and only Exchange-Traded Fund (ETF), the FIRST METRO PHILIPPINE EQUITY EXCHANGE TRADED FUND (FMETF), which tracks the performance of the PSE Index.

FIRST METRO INVESTMENT CORPORATION

FIRST METRO INVESTMENT CORPORATION is the investment banking arm of the Metrobank Group.

With over 50 years of service in the development of the country’s capital markets, First Metro Investment solves its clients’ greatest challenges and meet their most pressing needs. Armed with an in-depth understanding of the domestic capital markets and formidable distribution capabilities, First Metro Investment delivers best-in-class investment banking and financial related services to a diverse client base that includes public and private corporations, other financial institutions, high net-worth individuals and the public sector.

First Metro Investment and its subsidiaries offer a wide range of services, from debt and equity underwriting, loan syndication, project finance, financial advisory, securitization, investment advisory, government securities and corporate debt trading, equity brokering, asset management, online trading, fund management and research.

First Metro Investment asserts its dominant position in the industry as it continues to take the lion’s share in all transactions in the domestic capital market.

METROPOLITAN BANK AND TRUST COMPANY

METROPOLITAN BANK AND TRUST COMPANY is a leading financial conglomerate with diversified business portfolio including: investment banking, thrift banking, leasing and financing, bancassurance, and credit cards. It offers full range banking and other financial products and services, including corporate, commercial and consumer banking, as well as credit card, remittances, leasing, investment banking and trust banking.

Founded in 1962, Metrobank has since become the premier universal bank and among the foremost financial institutions in the Philippines. It has maintained leadership position in various market segments with better client coverage and accessibility. Metrobank currently spans a consolidated network of over 1,950 ATMs nationwide; over 860 domestic branches; and 31 foreign branches, subsidiaries, and representative offices.

Metrobank’s success lies in its strong franchise and the synergy of the Group. This has been instrumental in promoting our cross-selling efforts and deepening client relationship.

Offices
Manila
18F PSBank Center
Paseo de Roxas cor. Sedeño St., Makati City

Telephone: (02) 859 0600
Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 5:30 pm Cebu
GF Metrobank Plaza
Osmeña Blvd., Cebu City

Telephone: (032) 520-5695
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 5:30 pm Davao
GF Hotel Uno
CM Recto St., Davao City

Telephone: (082) 293 9354
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 5:30 pm

Comments

• ehleesyanehleesyan Para kanino ka bumabangon PEx Moderator
    edited April 2019

FundSmart

Your One-Stop-Shop

Introduction

Gain access to over 40 PESO and DOLLAR-DENOMINATED mutual funds with NO SALES LOAD. You can now analyze, screen, and compare the best performing mutual funds from the six (6) leading fund houses in the country.

What is FundSmart?

References:
    [retrieved 4/5/2019] https://www.firstmetrosec.com.ph/fmsec/45-FundsMart
    edited September 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

What is FirstMetroSec FundsMart? 
    FundsMart is a one-stop-shop for investment funds, where you can choose from a wide range of options from the country’s top providers. Here, you can buy and redeem online just like stocks, using the same trading account. No additional documents required.  No front-end fees or sales charges.

How do mutual funds work?
    Capital from individual investors are pooled together to buy a basket of securities. Thus, in spite of lower minimums (as low as P5,000 for initial investment and P1,000 for subsequent subscriptions), the mutual fund is able to buy various bonds, stocks, or a combination of both thereby providing automatic diversification to the investor. Buying and selling of investments is done by professional fund managers, and friction costs paid by the fund.  And since you are just one of the many investors in the fund, your ownership is represented by the number of shares you hold (your slice of the pie). The value for each share is referred to as Net Asset Value Per Share or NAVPS.

How is the NAVPS computed?
    Net Asset Value Per Share is computed as:

NAVPS =Total Assets - Total Liabilities
                  Number of Outstanding Shares

Underlying securities of the fund are the assets while expenses such as management, custody, brokers’ fees, taxes, and other costs form part of the liabilities.

What are the different types of Mutual Funds?
    Mutual Funds are grouped according to asset types, namely, Money Market, Bonds, Balanced, and Equity or Stocks.  This means that funds under each category hold similar investment outlets, perform in a similar fashion, and generally belong in the same risk level spectrum.  To sort funds according to your criteria, go to the MUTUAL FUNDS tab and filter by Risk Profile, Fund Type, or Fund Provider.

As investor, do I get to choose the stocks or bonds that I want?
    No. That will be the job of the fund manager.  As investor, you get to choose the fund according to the strategy you prefer. For example, if you want to invest in blue chip companies, you can choose an Index Fund, which mirrors the Phil. Stock Exchange Index (PSEi), composed of blue chip stocks.

How do I choose what type of mutual fund to invest in?
    You have to consider your (1) objective for investing, (2) investment horizon or period of time you are willing to stay invested, and (3) risk tolerance. As a general rule, higher returns would entail you taking higher risks. 

What is Benchmark? 
    The standard where the fund’s performance is measured. It also tells the fund manager, and essentially the investor, what level of return the fund hopes to achieve.  Comparison to the benchmark shows whether or not the fund is achieving return expectations. For example, an equity fund’s 1 year return is 10% versus the PSEi benchmark returning 8% within the same period. This tells the investor that the equity fund is doing 2% better, therefore, exceeding expectations.

Do I get voting rights for my mutual fund shares?
    Yes, as a shareholder of the mutual fund, you are entitled to attend shareholder meetings and vote during elections pertaining to the management and administration of the fund.  Such voting rights do not apply though to the specific companies where the fund is invested in.

If the companies where the mutual fund invests in give out dividends, do I get dividends as well?
    No. All dividends received are added to the assets of the fund thereby increasing the NAVPS of your investment. 

Why do I have a different buying power for stocks and mutual funds?
    For mutual fund orders, only cleared or withdrawable funds are accepted for every subscription.

I want to invest in a certain fund but it does not appear in my list of suitable investments. 
    It may be because the fund belongs to a higher risk level that is above your risk profile. You may click “Retake Suitability Assessment” for any changes in your risk appetite. 

Can I buy Mutual Funds using margins?
    No.  Margin trading is only allowed in stocks.
    edited September 2019

Frequently Asked Questions (cont.)

What are the differences of investing in PSE-listed stocks and investing in stock mutual funds?

StocksEquity Mutual Fund
    PricingPer share pricePer NAVPS, a consolidated valuation of all company shares in the fund
    ExposureSingle companyMultiple companies
    Buying/Selling of SharesSubject to board lots and available sharesSubject to minimum amount but no maximum limit
    ResearchDone by the investorDone by professional research teams
    Friction costBrokers’ fees and taxes to be deducted from proceedsNone. All fees and taxes already incorporated in the NAVPS
    LiquidityPSE-listed but subject to willing buyers and sellersCan be bought or redeemed anytime based on prevailing price

Can I go directly to the mutual fund company to redeem my shares? 
     Subscriptions made through FirstMetroSec can only be redeemed through FirstMetroSec.

Can I redeem within the holding period? 
    Yes you may, but you may be subjected to an early redemption fee, which depending on the fund may range from 0.25% to 1.12% of the amount. This will be automatically deducted from your proceeds.

When do I get the proceeds of my redeemed shares?
    It depends on the specific mutual fund. Please refer to each fund’s “Redemption Settlement Days.” Generally, number of days depends on the asset type, as shown below:

Money Market1 Day
    Bond, Balanced and Equity1-5 Days

Allow us till end of day to credit your Buying Power.

What is the cut-off time for buying and redeeming funds?
    Order cut-off is 11:00AM.  Subscription and redemption orders submitted from 11AM onwards shall be processed on the next banking day.  While still in the Pending “P” category, the investor may still edit or cancel his order until the next cut-off.

I have existing FAMI Funds. Will I see my holdings in the mutual fund platform?
    Linked FAMI Funds are separate from the current mutual fund platform. Should you want to consolidate this with your existing FirstMetroSec account, you would have to first redeem your old FAMI Funds, then re-invest through FirstMetroSec FundsMart.  Corresponding NAVPS shall apply on the redemption and subscription.
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
    Reserved post
  • IronHandofJusticeIronHandofJustice Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    First Metro Sec has fundsmart which will allow you to invest in different mutual funds. Ito iyong pinakagusto ko sa platform nila.
    ^ Wala ba ganyan sa BDO Nomura, IHJ?
    Wala kasi ako BDO Nomura Account.
    ehleesyan said:
    ^ Wala ba ganyan sa BDO Nomura, IHJ?
    Wala kasi ako BDO Nomura Account.
    Wala ehlee. Ang meron lang sila ay iyong UITF and PERA funds nila mismo, hindi tulad dito na marketplace talaga siya ng iba't ibang companies.
    For those who want to try their platform, meron silang 5 days free trial. Iwan lang kayo ng details duon sa website nila and they'll send your trial credentials in a few mins. Navigation lang ang gagawin niyo duon. 
  • markapinyamarkapinya PEx Rookie ⭐
    @IronHandofJustice, Kahit provider yung ATRAM sa fundsmart, na-force pa rin akong mag-sign up sa Seedbox kasi, I wanted to diversify out of PSE via their Global Technology feeder fund. Kaso di nila in-ooffer sa fundsmart :(
    Karamihan kasi ng feeder fund ay in USD, this one is in peso and has the top technology stocks.

edited March 2019
    ^ I know how you feel, Mark. Ang ganda ng fund na iyan from ATRAM, sayang nga wala siya sa fundsmart, as well as their money market fund (iyong sa Gcash).

Kung may extrang pera lang ako, magiinvest ako diyan definitely for diversification din kasi aside sa labas ka ng domestic market natin (na alam naman nating very vulnerable sa foreign buying and politics), ang ganda ng mga stock picks nila.

Once may account ka na sa Seedbox, I will really appreciate if you can create a thread para mai-share mo rin sa amin iyong mga good practices and experiences mo. 😊