COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

Would you choose prestige over value or practicality?Kung pera kayo?

jeganrrjeganrr Member ✭✭✭
For now,pumupunta ako sa YMCA,pero there was a time pumunta kami ng tatay ko sa Gold's Gym.Maganda naman yung Gold's Gym pero mas malaki yung YMCA at mas kumpleto.Dun sa Gold's Gym na pinuntahan namin wala silang martial arts at isang lang ang basketball court nila at walang jogging track katulad sa YMCA.Tinanong ko sa papa ko,bakit mas mahal sa Gold's Gym kaysa YMCA?Sabi ng papa ko,dahil mas class daw ang facilities,mas mas modern ang ambiance at mas maraming personal trainers sa Gold's Gym.Yung mga ibang tao daw kaya sila pumupunta sa sa Gold's Gym because of the prestige.I'm not saying i'm rich,pero even if I can afford going to Gold's Gym,I would prefer going to YMCA kaysa yung Gold's Gym na napuntahan namin ng tatay ko.

Yung kaibigan naman ng ate ko,kumain sila ng asawa niya sa isang mamahalin na restaurant,eh hindi naman sila nabusog,So yung kaibigan ng ate ko inaya nalang niya yung asawa na kumain sa Mcdonalds,mas nabusog pa sila sa Mcdonalds!

Kayo anong mas pipiliin niyo,prestige or value or practicality?Kung may pera kayo?
For example, mas pipiliin niyo bang kumain sa carinderia kaysa sa mamahalin na restaurant dahil mas masarap yung pagkain at mas nakakabusog sa carinderia nayun,kahit hindi maganda ang ambiance kaysa sa mamahalin na restaurant,maganda nga ang ambiance pero hindi naman masyadong nakakabusog yung pagkain at hindi naman ganung ka sarap? 

Comments

• panis_na_putopanis_na_puto Member PExer
    Doon ako sa value/practicality. Wala akong panahon sa prestige. Kilala ko ang aking totoong estado sa buhay: pangkaraniwan lang ako.
  • LJ_McKanasLJ_McKanas Member ✭✭
    Considering all things equal, I'd prefer something that will most benefit me.

In your example, I prefer YMCA over Gold's. Quality is more important to me than prestige. Prestige is oftentimes hyper-inflated by sales talk and advertisements which, in law, amounts to fraud, albeit tolerated or legal.

In the case of McDo versus expensive restaurant, maybe I'll go with McDo too just because it filled my tummy and satisfied me... but, as much as possible, I avoid McDo because it's fastfood. I'm health-conscious I should say.

I usually go to cheap but decent restaurants that offer dishes with large servings. We have plenty of this type over here and I have to spend up to 300 pesos per meal only.

I go after "value for money." Prestige is overrated. Not worth it.
  • mcgirl04mcgirl04 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for a dress shirt for my son on Nordstrom’s website and saw this big designer sweatshirt for $150. That’s all it is. A sweatshirt. Made of the same material that the smaller brands are made of. 

There is no way I would buy an item for its name alone. If the item obviously will last longer and serve its purpose much better than the smaller brands, yes, I would choose to buy that.
    Beware of especially cheap things though, their quality might not last long enough to be worthy of your money. This is where brands come in... but if it's way too expensive, then it is an indication the company is capitalizing on its goodwill too much.
  • mcgirl04mcgirl04 ✭✭✭
    Beware of especially cheap things though, their quality might not last long enough to be worthy of your money. This is where brands come in... but if it's way too expensive, then it is an indication the company is capitalizing on its goodwill too much.
    I don’t think the quality of that brand is that much better than Hollister or Abercrombie.

When it comes to electronic items, however, it’s worth it to get the more expensive brands like Samsung.
    mcgirl04 said:
    I don’t think the quality of that brand is that much better than Hollister or Abercrombie.

When it comes to electronic items, however, it’s worth it to get the more expensive brands like Samsung.
    and yet you have mac as your avatar. lol.
  • mcgirl04mcgirl04 ✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    mcgirl04 said:

and yet you have mac as your avatar. lol.
    I have iPhone. My tv is Samsung. Our refrigerator is Whirlpool. My computer is HP. My clothes are Old Navy or some off brands from Marshall’s. Our plates are Corelle from Walmart.

Makes sense to you now?
    I used to have Samsung for phones but switched to Iphone. Much, much better. Not that I'm complaining. I just didn't know the big difference they have.
  • mcgirl04mcgirl04 ✭✭✭
    I used to have Samsung for phones but switched to Iphone. Much, much better. Not that I'm complaining. I just didn't know the big difference they have.
    Samsung phones are nice, but I’ve been using iPhone for so long I’m not willing to learn Samsung’s platform....lol.
    oh we have corelle too... i'll look at my tv... think it's sony
    mcgirl04 said:
    Samsung phones are nice, but I’ve been using iPhone for so long I’m not willing to learn Samsung’s platform....lol.
    i think i'll never switch again. "think"! :P
  • mcgirl04mcgirl04 ✭✭✭
    mcgirl04 said:
    i think i'll never switch again. "think"! :P
    Cell phone is one of those things that I don’t like to change up especially to something that’s totally different. I don’t even like to upgrade my phone if I don’t need to...lol.

Corelle is not a high end brand at all. It’s carried by stores similar to SM over there. I like it because it’s very low maintenance and I can throw it in the dishwasher without worrying it would break into pieces.

Here’s my take on this: if an item doesn’t run on electricity or batteries, it’s okay to buy off brand.  If an electronic item breaks down, it’s much easier to get it fixed through the warranty.  Small companies give you the runaround.  

My exception to this theory, however, are kitchen tools. I gotta have a good set of knives and pans.  I bought a cheap pan at the discount store and when I boil water in it, the water jumps it’s scary!! So I just stick to my All Clad :).
  • Kent_210Kent_210 Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    In this generation, PRESTIGE alone do not exist anymore. When you market your product/service as "expensive but prestigious" you are bound to lose your business.  

When I buy something in Amazon, I don't look at the brand, I look at the reviews. Or when I dine in a resto, I check the reviews on Yelp. 
    ^^what’s your opinion on tripadvisor?
  • pong_padourpong_padour Member ✭✭✭
  • hsusonhsuson Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    Kent_210 said:
    In this generation, PRESTIGE alone do not exist anymore. When you market your product/service as "expensive but prestigious" you are bound to lose your business.  

When I buy something in Amazon, I don't look at the brand, I look at the reviews. Or when I dine in a resto, I check the reviews on Yelp. 
    How come Lexus BMW Mercedes Rolex are all doing well?  They market themselves as "Prestigious and Expensive".

Luxury will always have a market, the top tier consumers will always want to differentiate themselves from the hoi polloi.
    ^^you meant shallow people who want to feel special and distinct?

• mcgirl04mcgirl04 ✭✭✭

That and people who are ultra wealthy that’s the world they live in.  
  • hsusonhsuson Member ✭✭✭
    mcgirl04 said:

Iba yung mindset ng mayaman vs. ordinaryong masa.  Ganun talaga ang mundo.

• mcgirl04mcgirl04 ✭✭✭
    hsuson said:
    mcgirl04 said:

Iba yung mindset ng mayaman vs. ordinaryong masa.  Ganun talaga ang mundo.

Yup....iba pati ang environment ng mayayaman.  They live in gated subdivisions like Forbes or Dasma.  They hang out where the rich people hang out. You don’t see them in places that ordinary people frequent. Syempre ang mga gamit nila mamahalin din katulad ng pinupuntahan nila. It’s not that they’re show-offs. Ganon lang talaga mundo nila.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file