COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

REVIEW: Captain Marvel [2019]

PEx_MoviesPEx_Movies Administrator PEx Admin
edited March 11 in Movie Reviews

It’s just the right amount of Marvel we all deserve. Well, at least in this case.

Image result for captain marvel movie poster 2019

PEx Reviewer : laurence_writer
PEx Rating: 8.5/10
Photo Credit: Marvel Studios

Captain Marvel, the latest superhero movie from Marvel Studios, had a good fortune (or some say bad luck) of being the opening act for Avengers: Endgame. It is this unique circumstance–being shown just a month ahead or so before the main event–that actually makes the film an even greater watch compared to any other movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Let’s be honest, no one among those who’ve been following the expansion of MCU expected Captain Marvel to blow anyone off their seats. There was no expectation that the film would somehow make the blind see, the lame walk, and bring the dead back to life. Fans and movie enthusiasts are just dying to see how Captain Marvel fits in Endgame.

But the film delivered more than that. Directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck worked their magic to come out with a solid superhero origin story that carries the right extras on the side. Before anything else, however, let’s focus on the main issue: the story. Captain Marvel is pretty grounded on this part. The plot is easy to follow. There was no instance when the audience might get lost with what’s happening around. And the movie showed everything that viewers needed to know about who Carol Danvers is and how she got her marvelous powers.

There was also something with the way the film used everything that just screams the 90s that made the storytelling so much better. From fashion, music, and featured tech, the attention given in making Captain Marvel look authentically set in the dusk of the 20th century was so good that people would get a feeling that they’re transported to the good old times in an instant.  This is quite nice as many of us actually needed the trip down memory lane, even for just a few moments.

Cast members did an awesome job in the storytelling, too. Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Jude Law, and the rest of the cast were spot on in portraying their respective roles. It is even unthinkable that some can discount the fact that how actors portray their roles contribute greatly to how audience members appreciate what they are watching. Larson and Jackson were really good here, however, people should pay extra attention to Mendelsohn who plays the Skrull honcho Talos.

There are a lot more things in this movie that would certainly make all the fanboys and fangirls out there happy. But it is best to let you all discover these goodies yourselves. As a final word, Captain Marvel is that movie that just feels good. When you go out to watch it, just sit back, relax, and enjoy. Don’t overthink. Just let it rouse you up for the what’s coming next month.

Captain Marvel opens in Philippine cinemas today March 6. #CaptainMarvelPH

Check out the official discussion thread here: Captain Marvel (2019)

Tagged:

Comments

• pabziclespabzicles Member ✭✭
    edited March 8
    AndersonM said:
    The review is good and the film is probably not bad, but for some reason, I don’t like it. Carefully looked at all the trailers, but decided this time to do without going to the cinema. Perhaps I open a few SPAM LINK - admin waiting for Marvel DVD. This is also a good way to relax in the evening ( maybe even win a gadget).

Same sentiment here. For a female led superhero film, it is not as powerful as Wonder Woman's becoming and I care more for its supporting cast rather than Vers.

But yet it is a must see for MCU fans.
  • yestoyesto Administrator PEx Admin
    Just saw the movie last night. I think it could have been better if they just made Captain Marvel a netflix original. It's not as good as expected. 
  • Will watch the film this Friday. I'm so excited!
  • :) exciting! will watch
  • RicoSato76RicoSato76 Member ✭✭✭
    Seen this on 3D IMAX last Sunday. I loved it. I loved how strong she is, the back story, the humour. This film is not for those who are more into action packed superhero movies than the ones with story-telling involved. Probably since it's the first installment, they made it that way just to lay down who the character was and who are the people involved in her story. It's like building the character for the succeeding movies. 
  • jaynhadjaynhad Member
    for me the story telling is the problem, more so the non existent growth of the main hero, i just didn't feel the invested enough in her arc to make me root for her
  • Will watch this nonetheless. Thanks for this review!
  • I've seen better. But it's not bad.
  • ehleesyanehleesyan PEx Moderator
    I've seen it. Not bad like what others have said.
    Maybe I have just expected too much with the character.
    But bruh she's strong... 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file