COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

The Sun is Also a Star (May 2019)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

FIRST TRAILER OF THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR

HINTS AT LOVE AGAINST ALL ODDS

Love is a universe all of its own.  Don’t miss Yara Shahidi and Charles Melton in the Official Trailer of the new romantic drama “The Sun Is Also a Star,” which has just been launched by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Check out the trailer below and watch “The Sun Is Also a Star” in Philippine cinemas May 16.

“The Sun Is Also a Star” is distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.  Use the hashtag #The SunIsAlsoAStar

About “The Sun is Also a Star”

A modern-day story about finding love against all odds, “The Sun Is Also a Star” explores whether our lives are determined by fate or the random events of the universe.

In the film, college-bound romantic Daniel Bae and Jamaica-born pragmatist Natasha Kingsley meet—and fall for each other—over one magical day amidst the fervor and flurry of New York City.  Sparks immediately fly between these two strangers, who might never have met had fate not given them a little push.  But will fate be enough to take these teens from star-crossed to lucky in love?  With just hours left on the clock in what looks to be her last day in the U.S., Natasha is fighting against her family’s deportation as fiercely as she’s fighting her budding feelings for Daniel, who is working just as hard to convince her they are destined to be together.

The film stars Yara Shahidi (“Black-ish”) as Natasha and Charles Melton (“Riverdale”) as Daniel, along with John Leguizamo (“John Wick: Chapter 2”).

Directed by Ry Russo-Young (“Before I Fall”), the film is based on the acclaimed bestseller by Everything, Everything author Nicola Yoon.  The Sun Is Also a Star was #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and has received multiple accolades, including: 2016 National Book Award Finalist; Amazon’s Best Book of 2016 in YA; Amazon’s Top 20 Children’s Books of 2016 in YA; the New York Times Notable Children’s Books of 2016; and Entertainment Weekly’s 10 Best Books of 2016.

Russo-Young directed from a screenplay by Tracy Oliver (“Girls Trip”).   The film’s producers are Leslie Morgenstein and Elysa Koplovitz Dutton, who served as producers on “Everything, Everything.”  Pamela Hirsch served as executive producer.

The behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Autumn Durald Arkapaw (“Teen Spirit”), production designer Wynn Thomas (“Hidden Figures”), editor Joe Landauer (“Before I Fall”), and costume designer Deirdra Elizabeth Govan (“Sorry to Bother You”).  The music is by Herdís Stefánsdóttir (“The Hate U Give”).

Comments

• C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    C.I.C.C.I said:
    Hardback
    350 pages
    Copyright 2016
    ISBN 978-0-553-48668-0

THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR - Nicola Yoon 

NATASHA: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

DANIEL: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

THE UNIVERSE: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

SUN IS ALSO A STAR DIRECTOR HOPES TO INSPIRE 

A `RE-CONNECTION’ TO LOVE 

A modern-day story about finding love against all odds, Warner Bros. Pictures’ new romantic drama “The Sun Is Also a Star” explores whether our lives are determined by fate or the random events of the universe.

In “The Sun Is Also a Star,” college-bound romantic Daniel Bae (Charles Melton) and Jamaica-born pragmatist Natasha Kingsley (Yara Shahidi) meet—and fall for each other—over one magical day amidst the fervor and flurry of New York City.  Sparks immediately fly between these two strangers, who might never have met had fate not given them a little push.  But will fate be enough to take these teens from star-crossed to lucky in love?  With just hours left on the clock in what looks to be her last day in the U.S., Natasha is fighting against her family’s deportation as fiercely as she’s fighting her budding feelings for Daniel, who is working just as hard to convince her they are destined to be together.

Directed by Ry Russo-Young (“Before I Fall”), the film is based on the acclaimed bestseller by Everything, Everything author Nicola Yoon.

Director Ry Russo-Young talks about “The Sun Is Also a Star” in the following interview:

Q:  Starting with Yara Shahidi, talk about how you found your two leads—was the casting of this film a long process for you?  

RY RUSSO-YOUNG:  The casting actually clicked into place quickly, which is rare.  Literally, the first person I thought of for Natasha was Yara Shahidi.  I knew her mainly from her work on “Black-ish,” but also as a person in the world who’s very much a force of nature.  She’s incredible, thoughtful, an aspirational kind of person, who is wise beyond her years.  She seemed completely capable and absolutely brilliant at pulling off what Natasha has to do in the film, which is actually quite tricky—she’s dealing with her family in crisis and she’s falling in love, and those two things couldn’t be further apart.

Q:  And what about Charles Melton as Daniel?

RRY:  I wasn’t familiar with him and his work on “Riverdale,” but [author] Nicola Yoon put a post on Instagram asking, “Who should play Daniel?”  All these names popped up and Charles was one of them.  I did deep dives on all the people mentioned, as well as a whole other list of actors.  Charles instantly rose to the top as the person who is absolutely right for the part—charming, thoughtful, a big heart.  When we chemistry-read Yara and Daniel together, the magic was there.  

Q:  Though the film’s themes of love and destiny could easily play out in any big city in the world, the story takes place in New York City.  I understand you were a firm believer in shooting the film there?

RRY:  Absolutely. New York is one of the most diverse cities in the world.  I’m from New York—I grew up there, I was a teenager there.  It was really important to me that we get it right and that we embrace the idiosyncratic locations and character the city has to offer. We’ve seen New York in many movies but I don’t always feel we see the real New York and I wanted to show it, from the Roosevelt Island tram to the immigrant communities…the scope, the history and the diversity of it.  The film is, in many ways, a love letter to diversity.  

Q:  I understand the author, Nicola Yoon, was very involved.

RRY:  Oh, yes, I met her very early on, after I came onboard.  I also met David, her husband.  The book is loosely based on their story—she’s Jamaican-American and he’s Korean-American.  It was a wonderful experience and they were an amazing resource, because I could hear it from the source. What does the book mean to both of them? And in the film adaptation, what would be the best version that she could imagine?  It’s also a timely story so we all felt an urgency as to why this had to be made now.

Q:  What do you hope audiences experience from this film?

RRY:  I hope to provide an emotional experience above all else.  Perhaps a reconnection to love through this story, especially given what we’re subjected to every day in the news.  A reminder of our togetherness, perhaps. It’s interesting… in these times, what people choose to watch.  How much does one want to engage in what’s happening and how much are we looking for vehicles that provide escape? Perhaps it’s a balancing of the two?  In the end, I think the film reminds us that when we find someone we love, we should go after them and hold on forever, because it’s rare and it’s beautiful.  

In Philippine cinemas on Thursday, May 16, “The Sun Is Also a Star” is distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.  Use the hashtag #TheSunIsAlsoAStar

• NalaGidaNalaGida PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited May 2
    I love the book. It's exciting to see it being adapted for the big screen. Just hoping that it would bring justice to the beauty of the book :)

NICOLA YOON’S YA BESTSELLER THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR 

CHARMS ITS WAY TO THE SCREEN

Can a poet and a pragmatist fall in love?  What if they only have 24 hours to find out?  Something like love at first sight has struck Daniel Bae (Charles Melton), but he soon learns he has just one day to not only get Natasha Kingsley (Yara Shahidi) to fall for him, but to convince her that romantic love exists in the first place.  One day.  Because tomorrow she could be gone.

In “The Sun Is Also a Star,” opposites attract against the backdrop of one of the busiest and most vibrant cities in the world: New York.  And in a city of more than eight million people, what are the odds that anyone will find the one…or that their paths will even cross?

The film pits the law of attraction against a U.S. deportation law that will, in just 24 hours, put the character of Natasha and her entire family on a plane to Jamaica, away from everything she knows and loves, everything she considers home.

The film is based on the acclaimed bestseller of the same title by author Nicola Yoon (Everything, Everything).  The Sun Is Also a Star was #1 on the New York Times Best Sellers list and has received multiple accolades, including: 2016 National Book Award Finalist; Amazon’s Best Book of 2016 in YA; Amazon’s Top 20 Children’s Books of 2016 in YA; the New York Times Notable Children’s Books of 2016; and Entertainment Weekly’s 10 Best Books of 2016.

Nicola Yoon was inspired by the serendipity of her own relationship in creating the characters—though she and her husband did not meet at such a problematic time as Natasha and Daniel.

“We did not meet whilst I was being deported, or anything like that,” Yoon confirms.  “But I’m Jamaican-American and my husband is Korean-American, like Natasha and Daniel, and we did have a lot of the conversations that I included in the book.  We talked about philosophical things and I was always the one asking, ‘What does it really mean?’ which, I’m sure, was kind of annoying.  And we did go to karaoke a lot,” she smiles.  “My husband is a great singer, and so is Daniel.”

In conceiving the pair who are both at a pivotal time of life—nearing the end of high school, preparing for college—Yoon drew from her own experiences as a student at Cornell University, particularly from a series of lectures by noted astronomer Carl Sagan.  “He was so good at taking complex scientific concepts and making you really feel the human impact of these complicated things.  All of this was in my mind when thinking about the forces that push Daniel and Natasha together, and the ones the pull them apart.”

Director Ry Russo-Young offers, “The key things that seemed important to Nicola and myself to maintain from book to screen were a sense of cultural authenticity for both main characters, as well as the love story.  Then, in the execution, to get everything right in terms of the chemistry between Natasha and Daniel…well, we couldn’t have gotten any luckier than casting Yara and Charles.

Nicola Yoon was impressed with Shahidi’s take on the character right away.  “Yara’s fantastic, a brilliant actress, and also a great activist for young black women, which was wonderful to bring to the role,” she says.  “Being on set and watching her take over Natasha but still really maintain the spirit of her from the book…I couldn’t have been any luckier.”

The author was equally over the moon about Charles Melton.  “I love his energy.  He’s always moving, he’s so enthusiastic and game for the next thing.  I remember watching one scene—an emotional scene—and it was a real location so there was a lot of ambient noise, a lot happening around us, and he was crying.  And then I was crying.  And I thought, ‘How, in the middle of all this, is he make me cry right now?’”

In Philippine cinemas Thursday, May 16, “The Sun Is Also a Star” is distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.  Use the hashtag #The SunIsAlsoAStar

“RIVERDALE” HEARTTHROB PLAYS THE MALE LEAD IN “THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR”

Korean-American actor Charles Melton got his big break as the iconic comic book character Reggie Mantle in the hit Netflix series “Riverdale,” a modern-day reimagining of the Archie comic.

Now, Melton starts to conquer the big screen as he plays the male lead, in Warner Bros. Pictures’ new romantic drama “The Sun Is Also a Star,” based on Nicola Yoon’s acclamed YA bestseller.

“I read the book twice as soon as I found out they were making it into a movie,” recalls Melton, “and I thought, ‘I’m Daniel Bae, I have to play this guy!’  He’s kind of goofy, funny, romantic, very serious and passionate, and I connected with all those things.”  

The actor adds, “The story really touches on so many issues of the day and gives you a different perspective—a human perspective—that comes out of falling in love amid the beautiful diversity and multiculturism that exist in America now.  

A modern-day story about finding love against all odds, “The Sun Is Also a Star” explores whether our lives are determined by fate or the random events of the universe.

Daniel Bae is a pure romantic at heart, which he wears proudly on his sleeve.  Yet, as free as he is with his emotions, he’s cautious when it comes to revealing his true feelings about the future his parents want for him.  It is their hearts he fears will break if he follows his own.

“Daniel is about to have a college interview that could clinch his getting into Dartmouth,” director Ry Russo-Young states.  “He sees it as the nail in the coffin for him becoming anything other than a doctor, the profession his parents have chosen for him.  He’s been living for his parents his whole life, so this is a big day for him, too.”

Both Daniel and the female lead, Natasha (Yara Shahiddi) are beholden to choices their parents have made, and both are measurably unhappy with them.  But that doesn’t mean some measure of happiness can’t be found for them…with each other.  “When Daniel and Natasha meet, they are both thinking about radically different things going on in their lives.  But falling in love is so much about the timing, isn’t it?” Russo-Young smiles.

Melton offers, “It all happens for Daniel in that moment.  He’s never wanted to let his parents down; it’s just the kind of person he is.  But on this particular day, he sees this girl.  Then he loses track of her, then he finds her again, and he feels like their meeting is fate, ordained by the universe.  Talking to her sparks all these different revelations, and he shows his true self to her, even though she’s practically a stranger.”

Over coffee, Daniel tells Natasha his five key ingredients to falling in love are friendship, chemistry, a moral compass, common interests and the X-factor.  She’s not certain what that last thing is; he assures her they have it.  In fact, so convinced is he in his ability to bring her around to his way of thinking (and feeling), he’s even willing to appeal to her scientific side, recounting the details of a laboratory study involving a series of questions designed to ferret out couples’ reciprocal fondness—or not.

While the science-minded Natasha doesn’t believe in love at first sight, even she can’t deny the immediate chemistry she has with Daniel.  Shahidi and Melton may make it look effortless, but that was only part of the reason Russo-Young knew each was right for their role.

“The magic was there,” the director assures.  

In Philippine cinemas Thursday, May 16, “The Sun Is Also a Star” is distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.  Use the hashtag #TheSunIsAlsoAStar

YARA SHAHIDI RACES AGAINST TIME FOR LOVE IN THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR

Actress, model, activist and breakout star of ABC’s Emmy- and Golden Globe-nominated comedy series “Black-ish,” Yara Shahidi now headlines Warner Bros. Pictures’ new romantic drama “The Sun Is Also a Star,” based on Nicola Yoon’s acclamed YA bestseller.

In the film, college-bound romantic Daniel Bae (Charles Melton) and Jamaica-born pragmatist Natasha Kingsley (Shahidi) meet—and fall for each other—over one magical day amidst the fervor and flurry of New York City.  Sparks immediately fly between these two strangers, who might never have met had fate not given them a little push.  But will fate be enough to take these teens from star-crossed to lucky in love?  With just hours left on the clock in what looks to be her last day in the U.S., Natasha is fighting against her family’s deportation as fiercely as she’s fighting her budding feelings for Daniel, who is working just as hard to convince her they are destined to be together.

Shahidi, observes, “I loved the way Nicola Yoon brought such humanity to science, to philosophy, to politics.  I’m from a family of immigrants, and there were so many parallels between Natasha, who fears for her future, and my father’s own journey of coming to the United States at age eight, living with the fear of the immigration laws changing.  It’s pertinent to so many people’s lives, and she combined it with something like first love, which we all go through.  Something that feels so big in the moment, too.”

Natasha believes that logic can be applied to everything, even the most enigmatic of emotions: love.  In fact, her key ingredients to achieving the state—mutual self-interest and socio-economic compatibility—are purposefully prosaic, even antiquated.

Besides, love, at least the romantic kind, is the last thing on her mind.  Director Ry Russo-Young relates, “At the beginning of the film we learn Natasha and her family are being deported from New York City back to Jamaica the following day.”  According to the director, because Natasha has spent her formative teen years in the city, she very much identifies as a New Yorker, and though her parents are resigned to leaving, Natasha is doing everything she can to prevent it.  “It’s an extremely stressful time in her life and causing her a lot of pain, so her mind couldn’t be further from the idea of falling in love with someone,” Russo-Young continues.

“The one thing Natasha can depend on is that gravity will still exist when she wakes up,” Shahidi expounds.  “Facts, science…all of it will still be the same, is dependable, and will never let her down.  She’s very much a realist, and right now she’s feeling very disappointed by the world around her, so when she meets Daniel, she is thrown off by how he can live in this world and believe in his dreams.”

Shahidi explains, “One of the things that drew me to Natasha is how grounded she is and remains.  She and Daniel both challenge each other’s perspectives on life in a way that is helpful to their personal journeys.  She reminds him that he does have some control over his destiny, and he reminds her to believe in the universe—not just the stars in the sky, but the power of it over her.  

“They don’t make each other compromise, either,” Shahidi continues.  “It’s not as though she falls head over heels in love and, with that, goes all of her logic.  If anything, it’s a relationship based in this logic, based on everything she believes in and loves, and that made her so captivating to me.”

In Philippine cinemas Thursday, May 16, “The Sun Is Also a Star” is distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.  Use the hashtag #TheSunIsAlsoAStar

• C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    rotten tomatoes:  51%
     😢

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file