COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

Jordan Peele's Us (2019)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
edited March 21 in International Movies

SUSPENSE THRILLER US TERRIFIES WITH FIRST TRAILER

Watch the first trailer for Universal Pictures’ new suspense thriller Us, a new nightmare from the mind of Academy Award Winner Jordan Peele, writer/director of Get Out.

Check out the trailer below and watch Us in Philippine cinemas March 13, 2019.

Us is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/

About Us

After sending shockwaves across contemporary culture and setting a new standard for provocative, socially-conscious horror films with his directorial debut, Get Out, Academy Award®-winning visionary Jordan Peele returns with another original nightmare that he has written, directed and produced.

Set in present day along the iconic Northern California coastline, Us, from Monkeypaw Productions, stars Oscar® winner Lupita Nyong’o as Adelaide Wilson, a woman returning to her beachside childhood home with her husband, Gabe (Black Panther’s Winston Duke), and their two children (Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex) for an idyllic summer getaway.

Haunted by an unexplainable and unresolved trauma from her past and compounded by a string of eerie coincidences, Adelaide feels her paranoia elevate to high-alert as she grows increasingly certain that something bad is going to befall her family.

After spending a tense beach day with their friends, the Tylers (Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss, Tim Heidecker, Cali Sheldon, Noelle Sheldon), Adelaide and her family return to their vacation home. When darkness falls, the Wilsons discover the silhouette of four figures holding hands as they stand in the driveway. Us pits an endearing American family against a terrifying and uncanny opponent: doppelgängers of themselves.

Writer and director Peele produces for his Monkeypaw Productions alongside Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, and Monkeypaw’s Ian Cooper.

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    edited February 14

NEW SPOOKY POSTER UP FOR US"

One of the year’s most highly anticipated horror thrillers have launched their brand new posters: Universal Pictures’ Us, the new nightmare from the mind of Academy Award Winner Jordan Peele, (Get Out); and Paramount Picures’ Pet Sematary, based on Stephen King's terrifying novel. 

Check out the one-sheet artwork below and watch Us in Philippine cinemas March 20

Us is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/ ; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph  and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/. Use the hashtags #UsMovie and #PetSematary.   

About Us

After sending shockwaves across contemporary culture and setting a new standard for provocative, socially-conscious horror films with his directorial debut, Get Out, Academy Award®-winning visionary Jordan Peele returns with another original nightmare that he has written, directed and produced.

Set in present day along the iconic Northern California coastline, Us, from Monkeypaw Productions, stars Oscar® winner Lupita Nyong’o as Adelaide Wilson, a woman returning to her beachside childhood home with her husband, Gabe (Black Panther’s Winston Duke), and their two children (Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex) for an idyllic summer getaway.

Haunted by an unexplainable and unresolved trauma from her past and compounded by a string of eerie coincidences, Adelaide feels her paranoia elevate to high-alert as she grows increasingly certain that something bad is going to befall her family.

After spending a tense beach day with their friends, the Tylers (Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss, Tim Heidecker, Cali Sheldon, Noelle Sheldon), Adelaide and her family return to their vacation home. When darkness falls, the Wilsons discover the silhouette of four figures holding hands as they stand in the driveway. Us pits an endearing American family against a terrifying and uncanny opponent: doppelgängers of themselves.

Writer and director Peele produces for his Monkeypaw Productions alongside Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, and Monkeypaw’s Ian Cooper.

• magnabashmagnabash Swaying person. ✭✭✭
    The film's plot centers on a family of four in their beach house with the people who looks like them scares them.

The movie reunites Black Panther actors Lupita Nyong'o and Winston Duke; and The Handmaid's Tale actors Elisabeth Moss
    Yahya Abdul-Mateen II.

A NIGHTMARE COME TRUE IN JORDAN PEELE’S THRILLER US 

Before he had even finished making Get Out, his Oscar®-winning 2017 blockbuster that delved deep into issues of race and privilege in America, writer/director/producer Jordan Peele was already developing the idea for a new film, Us, that promised to be even more terrifying, and just as psychologically incisive, as the one he was making at the time.

“The idea for this movie came from a deep-seated fear in doppelgängers,” Peele says. “I love doppelgänger mythologies and the movies that have dealt with them, and I wanted to make my offering to that pantheon of ‘evil-double’ films. I was drawn to this idea that we are our own worst enemy. That’s something we all know intrinsically, but it’s a truth we tend to bury. We blame the outsider, we blame ‘the other.’ In this movie, the monster has our faces.”

Doppelgängers, or mysterious doubles of living people, are almost as old as storytelling itself. They appear in almost all folklore and mythology, a physical manifestation of a spiritual double that shares the memories, experiences and feelings of its living counterpart. These early narrative archetypes were the progenitors of so-called “evil twin” characters that have appeared in literature throughout history.

With few exceptions, it’s seldom a good sign when doppelgängers pop up in a story. “Doppelgängers have always been a source of fear,” Peele says. “It’s connected to your sense of mortality, I think. You can’t both exist, so one of you has to go. Throughout mythology, doppelgängers often represent bad omens or are a foreshadowing of one’s death. I wanted to pinpoint, and then develop the story, from that primal fear.”

That quest to pinpoint our root fears, and what they might represent, led Peele to some provocative places that not only plumbed the depths of the human psyche, but also America’s national identity. “I tend to draw inspiration from my own fear,” Peele says. “At some point I ask myself, ‘What’s the scariest thing for me, personally?’ In this case it was the idea of seeing myself. And then I think about what that’s really about, about why seeing yourself is so scary. No one really wants to look at their faults, their guilt, their demons. We all want to look elsewhere.” That inclination to project our own fears, anxieties and anger outward is also an endemic part of American culture. “This country, and how this country looks at the world, we have a fear of the outsider,” Peele says. “It’s built into the fear of everything from terrorism to immigration. One of the great core horror films that carried a powerful social message is George A. Romero’s Night of the Living Dead. That movie was about race even though they don’t really talk about race in the film. I wanted to follow that approach with this movie.”

In Philippine cinemas March 20, Us is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures. 

Follow us on Facebook ttps://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/ 
    Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph 
    Instagram at 
    https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/.
    Use the hashtag #UsMovie.   

THRILLER US PUTS LUPITA NYONG’O 

FRONT AND CENTER OF SHOCKING TALE 

Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o stars in Universal Pictures’ new horror thriller Us, playing the film’s central character is Adelaide Wilson, a woman hiding an inexplicable childhood trauma from her past.  She discovers that her attempts to push down and suppress the incident now threatens to destroy not only herself, but her husband and her children.

For such an expansive and complex dual role, director-writer Jordan Peele and his fellow filmmakers quickly turned to Nyong’o.

“We’ve admired Lupita for so long, and as we were thinking about casting, we were shocked to realize that she’s never been the star of a film, but has instead always played these amazing supporting roles,” producer Ian Cooper says. “So we were excited at the opportunity to have her as the anchor at the center of this film. Lupita is someone audiences feel they can access and have an identification with; she’s someone you want to spend time with, but she’s also so good at turning the screw a bit and making you feel suddenly alienated from her as well. That duality in her performance was perfect for this film, on multiple levels.”

Nyong’o has vivid memories of her first meetings with Peele about the roles.

“At first, every time I spoke to Jordan about these roles, I felt like I needed to sign up for philosophy, psychology and sociology courses at a university to be able to play them,” Nyong’o says, laughing. “He’s so detailed and, in my first reading of the script, I knew there was more significance to it than I had caught onto. It wasn’t until I spoke to him that I realized how much he was investigating and trying to unpack in this one story within the horror genre.”

Nyong’o continues, “Early on, I asked Jordan which films were influencing this story or had inspired his imagination.  He created a list for me of films to go through that ranged from Dead Again to A Tale of Two SistersThe Shining, Alien, The Birds. That was very informative, not just for how he was framing this world, but also for specific moments in those films that he pays homage to in Us.”

“One of the themes Jordan said he was interested in exploring was the sense that one of America’s biggest flaws is being unable to recognize its own demons,” Nyong’o says. “That is a powerful thing to be able to do, because it’s what real self-acceptance is: the ability to recognize both your most noble and your most destructive sides.” The idea intrigued her. “We cast judgment on people,” Nyong’o says. “We decide who is good and who is bad. But the truth is that we all possess that duality. That’s a really powerful statement to make, for us to recognize that evil is not an external force but is very much part and parcel of our experience as human beings.”

Peele also gave her a warning before she agreed to take on the film. “One of the first things Jordan said to me was, ‘Lupita, you’re going to be very tired,’” she says, laughing. “And he delivered on that promise! I feel like I’ve made five films, and we’ve only just made one. This was a really intense and all-consuming film to be a part of.”

In Philippine cinemas March 20, Us is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/ ; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph  and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/. Use the hashtag #UsMovie.   

edited March 21

“BLACK PANTHER’S” M’BAKU WINSTON DUKE A GOOFY DAD IN US 

He’s best known for playing the fan-favorite character M’Baku, leader of the Jabari Tribe and eventual valuable ally to King T’Challa in Black Panther.  Now, Winston Duke stars in Jordan Peele’s critically acclaimed thriller, Us.

“The film is about an American family trying to live the perfect American dream, and then realizing that the American dream is perilous, insecure and unsustainable,” says Duke, who plays Gabe Wilson. “I look at the American dream as another character in this film that succumbs to the dangers of the horror-thriller genre and becomes a hapless victim.”

Duke plays Gabe, husband to Adelaide (Lupita Nyong’o) and patriarch of the family, but he’s also the “fun” parent. In a way, he’s Adelaide’s opposite. He’s not big on structure and rules, and he’s often the antidote to her fears and anxieties.

“Gabe is this fun, charismatic character,” director-writer Peele says. “He’s kind of a goofy dad, but he has an enthusiasm and spontaneity that makes him the spirit of the family. He often doesn’t think before he acts, though, and that has been a bit of a strain in his relationship with Adelaide.”

As the family arrives in Santa Cruz at the beginning of the film, Adelaide isn’t the only character feeling anxiety. Gabe doesn’t share her past, but he has real concerns of his own. “Gabe is the heart and soul of this family,” Duke says. “He’s playful and spontaneous. He keeps this family buoyant on their toes. We thought of him as a man who’s trying to be the father that he never had, so he is overly present; and this summer is a big deal.” As part of that effort, he buys a speedboat that has seen better days, hoping for some bonding family outings on the water.

All of that is thrown into high relief when Gabe and Adelaide are confronted by The Tethered. “Gabe’s need to live in a fantasy of what an American marriage, and an American family, is—that’s his driving force,” Duke says. “And then everything changes. My favorite line in the movie is, ‘The world’s not going to end. It’s just going to be different.’ It’s a metaphor for what their family structure is going to be, and what their family is going to look like, in the aftermath of what they’re going through.”

For Peele, Duke was the perfect choice to play Gabe. “Winston doesn’t know it, but he basically is Gabe,” Peele says. “Winston thinks Gabe is based on me, but when I met Winston it was like, ‘Ok, yes. Just do that.’ Winston is that dude. He’s a fun mash-up of how I originally saw the character and all the qualities that he brought to the role. You can’t separate the two.”

For Nyong’o, her long friendship with Duke became a critical part of their on-screen marriage. “Winston and I have known each other since we were in graduate school together,” Nyong’o says. “And, of course, we’d had this short stint together in this little movie called Black Panther. We’re extremely close. We bicker like siblings; we’re like an old couple. So there was the comfort of knowing that he’s someone that I trust personally, and also someone whose artistry I really admire and respect.”

“Winston is just such a rambunctious character,” she continues. “He’s so warm and so unafraid. He’s a courageous actor, and a generous one, so it was great to just trust our chemistry and to play off of it. Our on-screen marriage got deep really quickly.”

• QT IIQT II Bee-doh bee-doh bee-doh bee ✭✭✭
    Looks like Marvel & DC are evenly matched in this film...you have the couple played by Black Panther co-stars Lupita Nyong'o and Winston Duke alongside Aquaman's Yahya Abdul-Mateen and Titans' Anna Diop. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file