Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Disney - Pixar's Onward

magnabashmagnabash PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
The synopsis is:

"Set in a suburban fantasy world without humans and populated with elves, trolls, and sprites, where unicorns are as common as rodents, two teenage elf brothers embark on a quest to discover if there is still magic out in the world in order to spend a day with their deceased father who died when they were too young to remember him."

The cast so far are:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Primetime Emmy winner for Veep)
Octavia Spencer (Oscar winner for The Help)
and Marvel actors:
Chris Pratt;
Tom Holland

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

Onward Official Teaser Trailer

In Cinemas March 2020

Onward | Official Trailer

Onward | Official Trailer 2

Disney and Pixar's Onward | Trailer #3

In Philipppine Cinemas, March 4!
    I liked it although it's nothing mindblowing but the core story is strong enough to resonate. The title ONWARD makes sense with that theme of not letting the past hold you back. The romanticization of the past often results in us neglecting what the present is offering to us. The conclusion with the father
     is bittersweet and my heart broke when Ian could only see a glimpse of him afar and he could not even hear his voice. However, it does feel necessary that Ian didn't have a one-on-one interaction with him as it is just temporary and it won't fully satisfy what he had in mind as there never was an actual relationship between them as sad it may sound. Barley needed to see him more so he could finally say goodbye. It also had to happen for Ian to realize that all the things he craved for he already experienced it via his brother as the journey was not about resurrecting the father he never had the chance to meet but appreciate the father figure he already has all his life . In a way that part reminded me of  Meet the Robinsons' ending that what the main character initially wanted is not exactly the one he needed to move on.

However, I do think the suburban fantasy setting is not necessary to tell this story. I feel they could tell the same story even in a regular modern setting. The world-building is creative and the premise of a modern middle-earth community that has forgotten their roots is fascinating however it just didn't mesh with the personal journey of the brothers apart from of course the magical elements as a plot device.

The animation is solid but I gotta admit I was more amazed at what I've seen on the lesser-loved Pixar films Brave and The Good Dinosaur.

All in all, a pretty solid movie with a strong heart. 
  • KaidoKaido PExer
    Animation is amazing