Home PEx Lifestyle Visas and Immigration

Applying for TRV to Canada, need advice

Hi,

I want to visit my Filipino-Canadian partner next year. He's willing to provide a Letter of Invitation. My goal for the trip is to spend time with him and meet his family.

I have a few questions about the Temporary Residence Visa:

1) How much will the whole application process cost? Not counting jeepney/cab fare. I understand that the processing fee is 100 CND dollars, are there hidden fees?

2) Am I more likely to get rejected if immigration sees that I'm visiting my boyfriend? We have no plans of getting married soon - we're waiting until 2020.

3) If my application for a TRV gets rejected, will it come back to bite us when we apply for a spousal visa in 2020? Will the refusal be seen as a red flag?

4) Does my partner need to show proof of funds to demonstrate that he can financially support me during my visit?

Some info you might find useful:

- I'm employed full-time, been with the company (BPO) for almost 3 years

- I have a small savings account, but I don't have sufficient funds. My partner will be paying for a round-trip ticket and I'll be staying with him in his apartment.

- I can only stay in Canada 3-4 weeks because of the demands of my job here in Manila.

- I have been to Cambodia and Singapore, but I'm aware that these are non-visa countries and therefore might not count.

- I have no family or relatives in Canada.

Answers would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Please go to the Canadian visitor visa thread. I will answer your concerns there. 
  • Hello,

Some insights to your questions:

1) How much will the whole application process cost? Not counting jeepney/cab fare. I understand that the processing fee is 100 CND dollars, are there hidden fees? No hidden fees, its flat $100 and you must follow the approved payment methods. It is always best to pay online. If you pay at the embassy or a pre-authorized credit card - there will be additional fees incurred.

2) Am I more likely to get rejected if immigration sees that I'm visiting my boyfriend? We have no plans of getting married soon - we're waiting until 2020. TRVs are the hardest to get in Canada if you are single or if you are unmarried visiting a BF/GF or fiancé - You need to prove to the Visa officer that you will not get married in Canada and overstay your visit. You also have to prove that your ties to the Philippines significantly outweighs any means of staying in Canada (hardest part). Since you have stated you have insufficient funds, it is a BIG RED FLAG - you have to come to Canada with more than enough funds for your stay without financial help from friends or relatives in Canada. Also, 3-4 weeks is too long for a first time visit, try 1-2 weeks to better your odds - Be articulate to the Visa Officer or your intent and that your family is in the Philippines and how much they mean to you.

3) If my application for a TRV gets rejected, will it come back to bite us when we apply for a spousal visa in 2020? Will the refusal be seen as a red flag? No, in fact, it helps with the spousal application because you are showing IRCC that you want to be together and it is a legitimate relationship where both of you want to spend time with one another. Your BF can visit you in the Philippines in the mean time and it would also help that there is travel history on his part to the Philippines or any travel history with you.

4) Does my partner need to show proof of funds to demonstrate that he can financially support me during my visit? Yes, since he is inviting you, he needs to show proof that he can support your stay in Canada should anything happen to you. This is on top of what ever funds you will bring with you to the country. It is imperative that you show that you have more than enough funds despite him having to support you.

Hope this helps - everything I said is based on my experience and should be taken with a grain of salt. Furthermore, its only $100 so no harm if your application is rejected.

• katehkateh PEx Rookie ⭐
    There is an existing Canada Visitor Visa thread. Please post there.