COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

REVIEW: Creed II [2018]

PEx_MoviesPEx_Movies Administrator PEx Admin
edited November 2018 in Movie Reviews

"What I like about Creed II is how each character was given its own arc and how these arcs develop throughout the movie. It showed the intricacies of each relationship and the emotions behind it."

REVIEWER: @mamabelle
PEx Rating: 8/10
Photo Credit: "Warner Bros. Pictures.

Creed II is the continuation of the Rocky saga and sequel to the 2015 critically acclaimed and crowd-pleasing 2015 hit Creed. Michael B. Jordan is back in the ring as Adonis Creed, son of the legendary Apollo Creed with Sylvester Stallone as the infamous Rocky Balboa. Joining them is Tessa Thompson as Bianca Taylor, Adonis’s talented singer-songwriter girlfriend and Phylicia Rashad as Mary Anne Creed, Apollo’s widow and Adonis’s stepmother. Dolph Lundgren also reprises his role as Ivan Drago along with Florian 'Big Nasty' Munteanu who plays his son Viktor Drago.

As a casual fan of the Rocky series and as someone who surprisingly loved Creed, I was excited to see what Creed II has to offer and it did not disappoint. The movie opens to show the present living condition of Ivan Drago in Ukraine with his son Viktor, who shows his exceptional strength and power in the ring during an amateur fight. A stark difference to the bright lights of Las Vegas, where Adonis Creed is fighting with all his might about to claim his WBC World Heavyweight Championship.

What I like about Creed II is how each character was given its own arc and how these arcs developed throughout the movie. It showed the intricacies of each relationship and the emotions behind it.

Creed II for me can also be called the tale of two sons. Here you have the sons of two legendary boxing figures raised in different circumstances, both hungry to win and prove themselves. In most sports film you'll find yourself rooting for one team or one person (usually it’s the protagonist), but with Creed II, I found myself at some point in the third act equally rooting for both. I think for me that’s a good sign, that you’ve actually showed each character’s depth enough for your audience to be unsure of how they feel and who they are truly rooting for in that moment.

This film perfectly closes the Rocky series in a neat and tidy red bow. It completes each character’s story in its own perfect way. Do I like this movie much better than Creed? No, I think the predecessor set a different tone for the entire Rocky series, and ultimately it was a refreshing change. But do I think we need to see a Creed III? No, I really don’t think so.

Creed II, In cinemas, Nov 28!

Join the discussion, check updates and share your views here: Creed II Official Thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file