COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

REVIEW: Girl In the Spider's Web [2018]

PEx_MoviesPEx_Movies Administrator PEx Admin
edited November 2018 in Movie Reviews

Why is it, have you wondered, that spiders don’t get stuck in their own webs?

@benchboy
PEX Rating: 8/10

Not very many, I imagine, would be able to provide the answer readily, but I’m pretty sure not just a few will appreciate the Claire Foy-starred and Fede Alvarez-directed action thriller The Girl in the Spider’s Web, an adaptation of a 2015 novel by David Lagercrantz, who continued Stieg Larsson’s bestselling  Millennium book trilogy. I have honestly missed it when this question was posed by one of the characters in the film, but boy, this flick did get me seriously curious about checking out the earlier adaptation The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which actually won an Oscar for Best Film Editing and clinched several Academy Award nominations, including one for Rooney Mara as Best Actress.

As in that David Fincher blockbuster of 2011, the movie is still set in Stockholm, Sweden, where, after saving a woman from her abusive husband by trapping him upside down in his own home and making sure she gets his money, hacker vigilante Lisbeth Salander (this time played by The Crown star Claire Foy) finds herself being tasked to retrieve and undo a computer program that can access and control the various nuclear arsenals worldwide. She soon finds out that this task is not a neat assignment she’d be entangled in, as her apartment gets burned down after and she gets framed for the murder of the program’s creator. To add to the complications, with the help of her old friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist (portrayed by Sverrir Gudnason), Lisbeth also discovers that a crime syndicate linked to her family – known as “The Spiders” – is responsible for it all.

Indeed, the plot is more intriguing compared to Larsson’s first book and I find this sequel more engaging yet easier to follow than Fincher’s adaptation. Alvarez’s film also has faster pacing and several adrenaline-laced and I’d-never-thought-she’d-survive-that sequences close to those we may have seen Ethan Hunt and James Bond in before, minus the stunts.

Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig may have been more remarkable in the Dragon Tattoo but I’d say Claire Foy looked more bad-**** here. She also did well in scenes that required her to show Lisbeth’s vulnerable side.

It’s worth noting, too, how visual elements and plot devices were commendably employed in the film. The chess pieces, the spider, even the snow in the first sequence – they’re incorporated appropriately into the narrative, lending it a cohesive feel.

If you’re the type who questions how things materialize in books or in the movies, you’re sure to find loopholes in the material which can spoil your appreciation of this film. Otherwise, I suppose curiosity should be enough to make you see this movie.

Photo Credits: Columbia Pictures
The Girl in the Spider's Web, now showing in cinemas!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file