COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

REVIEW: Fantastic Beasts : The Crimes of Grindelwald [2018]

PEx_MoviesPEx_Movies Administrator PEx Admin
edited November 2018 in Movie Reviews

PEx REviewer: @jesjman
PEx Rating: 6/10

One of the most anticipated movies this year, “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindewald”, is the second of five movies based on Potterworld. 

© 2018 Warner Bros.

A natural concern with a movie series based on a rich, complex world with many characters and elements is, how does one pick and simplify so it will translate well into a film? With JK Rowling as the screenwriter, it did feel as though she wanted to dig deep and be thorough with Fantastic Beasts, but it seems, ultimately, the screenplay has been compromised in the editing and production room.

© 2018 Warner Bros.

The movie picks up from the first “Fantastic Beasts” movie. Grindewald (Johnny Depp) escapes his prison in New York, and motivated by his goal to make the Pure Bloods rule the magic and non-magic world, he goes to Paris to recruit the powerful and unstable Obscurial, Credence Barebone (Ezra Miller). Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) also returns, this time, ordered by Dumbledore (Jude Law) to track Credence before Grindewald gets to him.

© 2018 Warner Bros.

There are so many moving pieces on the plot, and it does not help that the editing was not very good. Some scenes can get confusing because there was cut too short and too little detail included. Plus, other scenes were oddly placed in the timeline. One scene even cuts to a middle of an argument, and you don’t even know how the characters got to one place. This of course greatly affects how the audience follows the story. Perhaps there is a another cut (a director's or writer’s cut) somewhere, and that is likely better than this.

© 2018 Warner Bros.

Moreover, considering the overall story of the movie series, it feels as though the movie contributed so little to it. There were unnecessary pivots in the story, and character development was slow and weak. Mildly put, I can say only one-half of the movie is important to the bigger story, that they need to fit in 5 movies.

© 2018 Warner Bros. 

But don’t get me wrong. There are moments in the movie that will definitely tickle and satisfy your inner Harry Potter fan, like seeing Dumbledore as a professor for Defense Against Dark Arts, and a plot twist that even the biggest Potterheads will not see coming. Jude Law portrayed Albus Dumbledore with justice and excellence, and of course Eddie Redmayne is fantastic as Newt. Costumes, set designs, and special effects are on-point, as always with Warner Bros. In general, the film may be a little off-putting to moviegoers exhausted of high-budget movie franchises and sequels, but definitely there are things here to be enjoyed by hard-core and casual fans alike.

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD  , Now showing in Cinemas!

PHOTO CREDITS: 

© 2018 WBEI

Publishing Rights © J.K.R.

TM WBEI

Comments

• I literally fell asleep while watching Fantastic Beasts and where to find them so i'm not sure if I will risk my time watching this.
  • ok naman sya, daming easter egg like elder wand(grindelwald's wand), philosopher's stone(cupboard sa bahay ni flamel), mirror of erised(Desire) dumbledore scene. etc. kayo ano pang easter egg nakita nyo?
  • Laurence_writerLaurence_writer Sui Generis ✭✭✭
    Phoenix with Credence might actually be Fawkes.
  • drei221drei221 Headbang ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    UglySwan said:
    I literally fell asleep while watching Fantastic Beasts and where to find them so i'm not sure if I will risk my time watching this.
    Kabs @UglySwan , I guess Fantastic Beast series are more tailor-made for Potter-geeks rather than casual moviegoers. Sa tulad ko na nabasa ang mga books multiple times, a lot about the movies were quite exciting. Knowing the back stories of Dumbledore and the relationship with Grindelwald is an example.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

totoo lang the Movie Reviewers Failed ...

the subtitle of the movies: WHO WILL CHANGE THE FUTURE?
    THEY WERE SO CONFUSED THEY COULD NOT POINT OUT IF THE FUTURE WAS INDEED ALTERED WITH THE EVENTS IN THE FANTASTIC BEAST: CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD.
  • RicoSato76RicoSato76 Member ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! You'll appreciate the special effects on 3D though. I've seen it on 2D the first time, I didn't appreciate the final fire scene battle as much as when I watched it on 3D. Can't wait for the next one. The Hogwarts scene was so kilig.  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file