Home PEx Family and Society Buhay Pinoy

Do you agree that Mestiza is an outdated ideal beauty?

jeganrrjeganrr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Here's an article about that topic.

On being a mestiza: An outdated ideal of beauty

May 2, 2015

Image Source sepiaerawordpresscom
Image Source: sepiaera.wordpress.com

Being mestiza, one of the most frequent “compliments” I receive is that I am light-skinned. I can’t count how many times someone has told me “maganda ka”, quickly followed by “ang puti mo”.

As a child, I did not think much of it. I was constantly being told that I should be an actress or a model. Once, in a shopping mall in Manila, I was approached by a talent agent who wanted to represent me and put me on TV. I was too young then to realize the implications of such incidents, but as I grew older I began to understand that people were not attracted to my bone structure or my face, but to the color of my skin.  They were not complimenting my looks so much as praising my fairness.

This link between beauty and light skin is disconcerting. It’s an outdated ideal of beauty that has thoroughly permeated Filipino culture. Look on TV or watch a Filipino film and you will see that the leading roles typically go to mestizos or other fair-skinned actors. Ads for SKIN WHITENING creams are plastered everywhere. The message is clear: Lighter is more beautiful, more desirable, better.

This mentality is not restricted to the Philippines. The attitude is prevalent in many areas of the world, particularly in Southeast Asia where the skin-lightening business is a multibillion-dollar industry. In India, sales of SKIN WHITENINGproducts totaled 258 tons in 2012.

Historically, the preference for light skin originated from a link between skin tone and economic status. Darker skin typically indicated that a person worked outside as a laborer and was, therefore, not as well-off as someone with untanned skin. Once a global trend, the light-skinned ideal has been largely abandoned in recent times as tanned skin has slowly become the new indicator of social status.

In the Philippines, however, the attitude prevails, calling to mind the Spanish-instituted caste system in which the “blancos” of European descent had higher social standing than the native Negritos and Indios. As the Spaniards began to intermarry with the natives, those with Spanish blood and, consequently, lighter skin, maintained a higher socioeconomic status. More than a century after the end of Spanish colonialism, Filipino culture still echoes the attitudes of an oppressive society.

Members of my family have a variety of skin colors, ranging from light to dark. You can see the family resemblance, despite differences in skin tone. The idea that the lighter members of my family are more attractive — solely based on skin color despite having similar features — is laughable to me, but the fact remains that a lot of people believe just that.

The attitude is persistent — and dangerous. Products which bleach the skin lighter can often be harmful. There is also the psychological damage which comes from the stigma associated with darker skin. In the (supposedly) enlightened 21st century, children are growing up convinced they are unattractive because of their darker skin.

Of all the challenges facing the Filipino people, this is one of the worst because it turns a person against his/her own self. The problem is more than skin deep; it reflects an internalized racism that should have been abolished when the Philippines declared independence from Spain. In clinging to antiquated ideals, we are subconsciously submitting to the image of Western superiority.

It is time to reject the idea that lighter skin is more appealing than darker skin. The Philippines is a multiethnic country, and we should not be ashamed of this. Instead of upholding an outdated standard of beauty, we should be celebrating the diversity of our heritage.

Christine Dixon
Experienced Columnist with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry. Skilled in Nonprofit Organizations, Editing, Media Relations, and Journalism. Strong media and communication professional.

Comments

• trantadongpinoytrantadongpinoy PEx Rookie ⭐
    yung author ba yung sinasabi jan na maputi at artistahin.
  • KenClarkKenClark PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The author is obviously another CULTURAL MARXIST who wants to NORMALIZE mental disorders such as OBESITY and TRANSGENDERISM.

Very predictable.
  • jeganrrjeganrr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    yung author ba yung sinasabi jan na maputi at artistahin.
    Yes
  • LJ_McKanasLJ_McKanas PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    edited October 2018
    I think I'm the mestizo-type, a mix of Filipino, Spanish and Chinese. More Chinese though, and less Spanish, which is almost unnoticeable unless you get to see me more often.

I often get this compliment na gwapo raw ako... usually from clients and from gym buddies. 

I have seen a lot of people and thought about it for lengths of time. Usually the mestizos and mestizas who don't look handsome or beautiful or at least do not have glowing skin do not get tagged as tisoy/tisay... but you really have to look closely on them and when you do, you'd realize that they're tisoy/tisay pala.

In the Philippines, tisoy/tisay has become synonymous to good-looking. This is still prevalent today. Although people no longer say, "I'm looking for tisoy/tisay" or that they don't say they prefer their partners to be that way, you can still read people on FB dropping that term every now and then.

I think, though, that the popularity of tisoy/tisay has been waning over the years... and people who are tisoy/tisay are no longer labelled as such but only as gwapo or maganda since there seems to be stigma on Filipinos claiming to be of mixed blood.

In fact, I no longer say this anymore except when asked. When I do though, the person often says, "kaya ka pala maputi."

If you ask me for my preference, I have to bluntly say, I really want a Spanish mestiza but she doesn't have to be fair-skinned. I like the Isabel Granada type of skin more... and I don't like half-halves. I just like the Spanish mestiza looks for the sole reason that I find it beautiful.
  • Sa taong 2018, maaaring guwapo/maganda ang tao maski kayumanggi ang kutis!

Itigil na ang RACISM!
  • pong_padourpong_padour PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I prefer mestiza and chinita types. My friends and relatives know my type of women based on all the girlfriends I had. Lahat ata may halong lahi. Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Japanese. Never pa ata ko nagkagf ng morena or negra. LOL
    It really depends on the person's preference of beauty.
    Sa taong 2018, maaaring guwapo/maganda ang tao maski kayumanggi ang kutis!

Itigil na ang RACISM!
    Lol! Very MOTHERHOOD STATEMENT. If I know, tumitili ka sa mga white boys. :lol:  
  • Kent_210Kent_210 Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    In Hollywood, nagiging uso na yung foreigner looking type na artista like mulatto, Jew and hispanic. Celebrities like Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Gal Gadot, Michelle Rodriguez are very popular.
    edited October 2018
    Kent_210 said:
    In Hollywood, nagiging uso na yung foreigner looking type na artista like mulatto, Jew and hispanic. Celebrities like Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Gal Gadot, Michelle Rodriguez are very popular.
    Because Hollywood is a LEFTIST PROPAGANDA MACHINE just like Twatter and Fascistbook. It is programming people to accept DIVERSITY. That's the reason why movies such as Superman and Thor are recasted with black actors. It is engaging in CULTURE WAR and bent on HISTORICAL REVISIONISM.  :lol:  
  • ameleensyameleensy Bobo daw ako 🙄😅 PEx Expert 🎖️
    ^ Grabe naman, Ken. I don't care for leftist or rightist (?) propaganda, but hey — maganda naman talaga those women Kent mentioned. Why does it have to be political? 
  • trantadongpinoytrantadongpinoy PEx Rookie ⭐
    kanya kanyang taste lang yan. prefer ko morena beauty.

pagtabihin mo ang maputi at kayumangi na nakangiti labas ang maputing ngipin. no match ang maputi.
    titigan mo ng mabuti ang  contrast ng kayumangging kutis at puting ngipin sa mukha ng morena.  that is REAL pinay beauty imo.

kaya kayo maginvest kayo sa ngipin ninyo hindi jan sa gluta gluta na yan. 
  • Stella_NoxFleuretStella_NoxFleuret PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i prefer white skinned chicks. sexy at malinis tingnan lol
    edited October 2018
    ameleensy said:
    ^ Grabe naman, Ken. I don't care for leftist or rightist (?) propaganda, but hey — maganda naman talaga those women Kent mentioned. Why does it have to be political? 
    Because Hollywood has become political. For someone adept in politics and the social science, it is easy to spot IDEOLOGICAL UNDERPINNINGS. For example: To insist that your preference is racism is POLITICAL in its own right. :D  I only like fair skinned and Eurasian women. Does that mean I'm racist? So my innate biological preference is now racism? :lol:  
    edited October 2018
    KenClark said:
    ameleensy said:
    Because Hollywood has become political. For someone adept in politics and the social science, it is easy to spot IDEOLOGICAL UNDERPINNINGS. For example: To insist that your preference is racism is POLITICAL in its own right. :D  I only like fair skinned and Eurasian women. Does that mean I'm racist? So my innate biological preference is now racism? :lol:  
    I wouldn't call you racist based on your preference, but I also wouldn't wanna be labeled as merely swayed by propaganda if I find non-Caucasians as beautiful.

Like I've always said, beauty is subjective. I think it's terribly politicized, even bigoted, to label people whose idea of beauty is more diverse than usual as just caving in to propaganda or 'revisionist programming'. Iba-iba lang talaga tayo ng taste. 

I mean, I love Anne Hathaway's face as much as I love Jennifer Lopez's or Dawn Zulueta's. I would place Henry Cavill, Raza Jaffrey and Ken Watanabe (or Chow Yun Fat) on the same level of "hot". Pogi din si Jericho Rosales for me. I don't think media did that to me. I just find them really attractive. 
  • LJ_McKanasLJ_McKanas PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^How about Dicky, ameleensy?
    ameleensy said:
    KenClark said:
    ameleensy said:
    I wouldn't call you racist based on your preference, but I also wouldn't wanna be labeled as merely swayed by propaganda if I find non-Caucasians as beautiful.

Like I've always said, beauty is subjective. I think it's terribly politicized, even bigoted, to label people whose idea of beauty is more diverse than usual as just caving in to propaganda or 'revisionist programming'. Iba-iba lang talaga tayo ng taste. 

I mean, I love Anne Hathaway's face as much as I love Jennifer Lopez's or Dawn Zulueta's. I would place Henry Cavill, Raza Jaffrey and Ken Watanabe (or Chow Yun Fat) on the same level of "hot". Pogi din si Jericho Rosales for me. I don't think media did that to me. I just find them really attractive. 
    But the obvious push to DIVERSIFY movies and actors is a blatant PROGRAMMING and PROPAGANDA push by REGRESSIVE LEFTISTS in Hollywood. So there's no doubt Hollywood is a LEFTIST PROPAGANDA MACHINE nowadays. 

If someone says that Caucasian/Eurasian women are the standards of beauty, imagine the degree of bashing that someone will get on social media when that person is just voicing out his own opinion/standard. People nowadays are INTOLERANT of opposing opinions/views because of the influence of LEFTIST MOUTHPIECES. Fascism is on the rise and the obvious collateral is FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
    ameleensy said:
    KenClark said:
    ameleensy said:

Note that the women you mentioned are Caucasian or with Eurasian descent; the same with your guy list except for Ken Watanabe. You don't have black people in it. :lol:      
    ^ Ay e di teka, research ko names nila. I just know them from where I watched them e :lol:

Let's start with that guy in Designated Survivor. The one who played Mike Ritter. He's hot 😜
    edited October 2018
    ameleensy said:
    ^ Ay e di teka, research ko names nila. I just know them from where I watched them e :lol:

Let's start with that guy in Designated Survivor. The one who played Mike Ritter. He's hot 😜
    The point is, subconsciously your fantasy list consist of people who are Caucasian.  If I ask you to name only ONE person who will be stuck with you on an island, chances are it will be someone who's WHITE. Non-whites are surely at the bottom of the barrel.  Otherwise, you're just LYING. 
    edited October 2018
    ^ Hindi rin. That's presumptuous of you.

I'd be happy with Jericho Rosales. He seems fun, down-to-earth AND good to look at. What would I do with a foreigner I don't have much in common with? 

Or this writer I like, Iain Thomas. Yes, he's Caucasian. But I wouldn't call him beautiful. Based on your "stuck in an island" context, he'd be good company coz I think he'd be good conversation. His being white isn't even significant there. 

It's wrong to say "otherwise, I'm just lying". That's a terribly entitled way to argue or discuss. If I don't affirm your assertion, I'm just lying? Why do you suddenly have an exclusive right to be correct or truthful? 

Also, how did this become a white vs black thing? Jennifer Lopez isn't white. Ken Watanabe isn't white. Anong nagyari sa yellow at brown? Bakit naging dichotomy of white and not white?