Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues

Adios Harry Roque! Pres Duterte picks Sal Panelo as new spokesman

buddywbuddyw PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Adios Roque! Duterte picks Panelo as new spokesman

Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo is expected to replace Harry Roque Jr. as presidential spokesperson, President Rodrigo Duterte announced on Tuesday.

Duterte said he was confused about Roque’s plans for the 2019 polls.

“Sabi niya hindi siya tatakbo tapos tatakbo siya. Tapos ngayon naman hindi. Ang problema ko sa totoo lang, kay may na-target na rin ako to take his place,” the President said in an interview with members of the Malacañang Press Corps.

“I did my homework very fast. Nung sabi niya na hindi siya tatakbo — takbo. Namili na kaagad ako ng ano — ng… Siguro I’ll assign in temporary or in added function. Tutal tiga-assign man lang ‘yan si Sal Panelo. With all sartorial elegance, medyo maganda siguro tingnan,” he added.

Duterte also hinted at reestablishing the Office of Press Secretary to replace the current Presidential Communications Operations Office.

“I’m going to but if — I’m going to reorganize Press Secretary. Kanya (Panelo) lahat,” the chief executive said.

“If he — tingnan muna natin. Kung makakuha ako ng Presidential Legal Counsel then if he likes the job,” he added.

Comments

• gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

from a Bakla to another Bakla.

• Kent_210Kent_210 Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Goodluck sa mga reporters. I'm sure iinit ulo nila kay Sal LOL
  • Phil E. BusterPhil E. Buster PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    So long, farewell, auf vedersein, goodbye..... goodbye!
  • gotcha2gotcha2 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited October 2018

Bye bye birdie...tralala

• knorrknorr PExer
    edited October 2018
    Meet your new spox

• knorrknorr PExer
    edited October 2018
    .                                                                         .

• buddywbuddyw PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Lessons in Harry’s downfall

Reader, whether you like Harry Roque or not, whether you respect him or not, I think you have to agree that President Duterte treated him more like a rat or cockroach than like the dog or tuta that he was. Actually, I will go as far as to say that what happened to Roque shouldn’t even have happened to a dog. But maybe there’s a lesson in there somewhere.

Understand, Reader, that I am not privy to the inside story, if there is one. I’m sure it will come out sooner, rather than later—the President reportedly having had some frontal lobe brain injury (probably from a motorbike accident) which affects his ability to stop himself from doing or saying what immediately comes to mind. No filters. At least that is what I am told by some doctors who have been analyzing his behavior. At any rate, my information comes solely from the media and its practitioners.

So here is Roque, who gave up his position as a party-list congressman (some say he was kicked out, because of how he behaved in the De Lima hearings in Congress) to be the President’s spokesperson (others say it was because of such behavior that he got into the President’s good graces).

As presidential spokesperson, though, it must be said that he did a good job. He held his own in international fora. He defended his principal with vigor, and even attempted to explain the irrational with seeming rationality. His loyalty knew no bounds. He adopted the positions of his principal with enthusiasm, sometimes giving the impression that he was “mas papista que el Papa” (more popish than the Pope). And, as I noted last week, he did not hesitate to completely distort the truth while doing so.

One would have thought that this would have earned him some reciprocal loyalty from his principal, even while it certainly cost him the respect of his former colleagues—not the ones in Congress, but rather in the academe, in the law, and in human rights.

But apparently not. The President did not seem to trust his spokesperson Harry with the information that he was going to the hospital for some tests, leaving Harry twisting in the wind after he stoutly proclaimed that his principal did not go to the hospital. He threw cold water, publicly, on Harry’s ambitions to be a senator—with the reason(?) that he would not win because the soldiers don’t like him(!). And when Roque dared to sulk a bit at this treatment—he snuck off to Hong Kong to lick his wounds—the President immediately named another spokesperson without so much as a thank you to Roque for services rendered, much less giving him notice that he was being replaced.

The President explains it differently, of course. As far as he is concerned, the whole thing started because Roque was shilly-shallying about his Senate run. I am sure Roque will have a face-saving-for-all explanation as well. After all, the Senate still looms largely for him, and he will take all the crap he is given to gain his goal.

But that will not change the essential story. Is there a lesson in there somewhere? To thine own self be true? Never put all your eggs in one basket? Or the exact opposite, which Andrew Carnegie advocated: Put all your eggs in one basket… and watch that basket?

If 60 medical societies representing practically the whole profession, plus former health secretaries, all of whom want to reduce the number of cigarette smokers by 1 million in 2011, cannot convince Sen. Sonny Angara to increase the excise tax on tobacco (Senators JV Ejercito and Manny Pacquiao have bills on it) this year, perhaps they are putting all their eggs in only one basket.

Perhaps they should adopt a financial argument also: The senators are all anxious to reduce excise taxes on oil (election year and all that). But if they do that, the President’s infrastructure program, the unconditional cash transfer program for the poor penalized by the Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion, and the country’s development plan are all at risk. So why not put in the tobacco excise taxes in place of the oil excises, so there will be no loss of revenue? I am against touching the oil excises, but I’m ready to take fourth best, just so as not to derail our plans.

Just saying.

• knorrknorr PExer
    edited November 2018
    .                                                       .

• .                                     .

Harry Roque withdraws senatorial bid due to medical condition

Former Presidential Spokesman Harry L. Roque, Jr. has withdrawn his 2019 senatorial bid after the discovery of a coronary disease earlier this week. 

Roque filed his candidacy for senator under People’s Reform Party. 

“It is with a truly heavy heart that I announce the withdrawal of my senatorial bid,” Roque said in a statement. 

He disclosed that he had recently undergone a medical procedure following the discovery of an “unstable angina coronary disease.” 

“In the days, since the procedure, my family and I have been forced to confront the reality of my physical situation and what it ultimately means for my aspirations to public service.”

Nonetheless, he said he is still hoping that one day he will again have the opportunity to serve the Filipino people as a legislator or in whatever other capacity. 

He also expressed gratitude to those who have been so kind and supportive of my candidacy. 

“I ran for senator because I wanted to be of service in a way that i know I will be highly effective. Whatever they may think of my politics, those who have seen my work in both the public and private sector can attest to what I would have brought to the Senate. Unfortunately, for the moment, it seems that God has other plans,” he said. 

“I continue to support our President and this administration and wish only the best for our country. God bless us all!,” he added. 

• gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    knorr said:
    .                                     .

by digging his OWN GRAVE.

buddyw said:

Harry Roque withdraws senatorial bid due to medical condition

Former Presidential Spokesman Harry L. Roque, Jr. has withdrawn his 2019 senatorial bid after the discovery of a coronary disease earlier this week. 

Roque filed his candidacy for senator under People’s Reform Party. 

“It is with a truly heavy heart that I announce the withdrawal of my senatorial bid,” Roque said in a statement. 

He disclosed that he had recently undergone a medical procedure following the discovery of an “unstable angina coronary disease.” 

“In the days, since the procedure, my family and I have been forced to confront the reality of my physical situation and what it ultimately means for my aspirations to public service.”

Nonetheless, he said he is still hoping that one day he will again have the opportunity to serve the Filipino people as a legislator or in whatever other capacity. 

He also expressed gratitude to those who have been so kind and supportive of my candidacy. 

“I ran for senator because I wanted to be of service in a way that i know I will be highly effective. Whatever they may think of my politics, those who have seen my work in both the public and private sector can attest to what I would have brought to the Senate. Unfortunately, for the moment, it seems that God has other plans,” he said. 

“I continue to support our President and this administration and wish only the best for our country. God bless us all!,” he added. 

nadurog yun puso ni HARROT sa CNNPH senatorial interview at walang pumapalakpak sa kanya.

stupidity is not an illness.

• Magkano kaya kinita ni butiki kay Nardong Kupit

Amnesty International to Panelo: Do your homework

MANILA, Philippines — Amnesty International fired back at presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo on Tuesday, a day after he accused the human rights monitor of politicizing the thousands of killings in President Rodrigo Duterte’s brutal war on drugs.

“We suggest next time before the honorable presidential spokesperson makes a response, he should at least do his homework first by reading our report,” said Butch Olano, Amnesty Philippines section director.

“Accusing Amnesty International of politicizing the issue of extrajudicial executions is just another way of muddling the Duterte administration’s accountability and its complicity in the gravity of this problem,” Olano said.

Template

Panelo on Monday slammed the London-based human rights group as “incorrigible” for insisting on a United Nations probe of the drug war killings, saying the basis for its call for an international investigation was factually wrong.

But in an interview with the Inquirer on Tuesday, Olano said the government’s response was a template for countering opposition to abuses in the war on drugs.

“That has been their automatic response when this issue arises,” he said. “But our two reports belie their response and our reports are based on facts.”

Olano said the figures that Amnesty’s report had cited, which placed the extrajudicial cases at 27,000, came from the government itself, particularly from the Philippine National Police.

“Therefore we cannot produce the basis for any data that was made public by the PNP,” he said. “The burden of the proof is on the government.”

Amnesty released its second report on the drug war, “They Just Kill,” on Monday, a follow-up to a 2017 report that also investigated the killings and abuses in Mr. Duterte’s take-no-prisoners crackdown on illegal drugs.

Both reports underscored patterns that have defined the bloody campaign since 2016, including the repeated claims of the police that warranted the use of lethal force, the widespread use of drug “watch lists” that have turned into “kill lists,” and the reported abduction of civilians by plainclothes police.

‘New killing fields’

The new report identified Bulacan province as the “new killing fields,” as opposed to the initial report that zeroed in on Metro Manila.

Amnesty cited the promotion and transfer of senior police officers that oversaw the bloody campaign in Metro Manila to Bulacan and the Central Luzon region as the reason for the sharp rise in deaths.

Bulacan local and police officials on Tuesday rejected Amnesty’s report.

Gov. Daniel Fernando said the report saddened him but promised that the provincial peace and order council would look into the rights monitors’ findings.

“Based on our tally, we’ve had more peaceful [than fatal] arrests during our [antinarcotics] operations,” Col. Chito Bersaluna, Bulacan police director, told the Inquirer, without giving figures.

Police reports sent to reporters since January showed an average of three drug suspects killed in drug operations every month.

Gen. Oscar Albayalde, chief of the Philippine National Police, on Tuesday said international bodies and other countries should focus not only on the number of casualties in the drug war but also on the sincerity of the PNP in keeping the crackdown within legal bounds.

“We do not tolerate abuses [committed by] our people,” Albayalde told reporters. “We rebuke our own policemen. In fact, we even send them to jail if they make mistakes or commit abuses.”

Unlike its first investigation, Amnesty this time strengthened its call for an international investigation of the killings.

Despite Panelo’s claims that the Philippines’ own judicial system is open to investigate the cases, Olano said the prevailing fear amid a culture of impunity hindered victims to actually seek justice from local courts.

“The judicial system cannot begin unless there is a complaint from the family or affected member. Except this does not happen because the process cannot start in the first place because most of the victims are poor,” he said.

“Even if there is the Public Attorney’s Office, that office itself handles too many cases already,” he said, adding that seeking help from private lawyers, on one hand, would incur too much expenses.

“And in these cases where evidence is tampered with and there are no credible and real police reports because these all appear as templates, what can you use when you actually get to court?” Olano said.

Only one case of prosecution

The report noted that since 2016, there has been only a single case of prosecution related to the drug war killings, citing the high-profile case of 17-year-old Kian delos Santos in August 2017. Officers involved in his killing were caught on video dragging him away moments before he was shot.

Nicholas Bequelin, Amnesty’s regional director for East and Southeast Asia, said the government’s continuous effort to thwart any international investigation was consistent with Amnesty’s view that the Duterte administration had something to hide.

“If the government has nothing to fear, then it should welcome the investigation,” Bequelin told reporters on Monday.

‘Killing machine’

Sen. Leila de Lima, detained on what she calls trumped-up drug charges for investigating the drug war killings, on Tuesday supported calls for a UN probe of President Duterte’s crackdown on narcotics.

In a statement, De Lima said the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) must look into the bloody campaign.

“While [Amnesty] has called Duterte’s war on drugs a ‘large-scale murdering enterprise,’ I labeled it a monstrous ‘killing machine’ whose continued rampage with almost no accountability within the national system requires the focus and concrete actions from such global instruments of justice as the UNHRC and the [International Criminal Court],” she said.

• knorrknorr PExer
    edited July 2019

.                                   .

Lacson chides Panelo: Are you China's spokesman?

MANILA, Philippines — Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson on Sunday took to Twitter to criticize presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo for voicing out the text message of Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua.

In his tweet, Lacson questioned Panelo’s Saturday statement wherein he quoted Zhao’s text message.

Has the presidential spokesman switched from Chinese embassy defense counsel to spokesman?” he asked.

Lacson, however, clarified that he was not questioning the logic behind the Chinese ambassador’s statement. He just stressed that the Chinese embassy has its own spokesperson “who should speak on their behalf.”

“Why would the country’s presidential spokesperson whose salary and other miscellaneous expenses are being paid out of our taxes take on the embassy spokesman’s job?” Lacson asked.

On Saturday, Panelo, also the chief presidential legal counsel, claimed that he received a text from Zhao discussing with him China's concerns on the influx of undocumented Chinese workers in the country.

Panelo quoted Zhao as saying that the Chinese would also be wary of the presence of Filipino workers in China. The Chinese ambassador also allegedly questioned how the Filipinos would feel about being viewed as spies.

Zhao’s supposed text message was a response to the concerns raised by security officials and lawmakers. Some of them earlier expressed worries over the presence of some Chinese-dominated Philippine offshore gaming operators near military bases such as the headquarters of the Armed Forces, the Navy and the Philippine National Police.

He also feared that some of the Chinese investors and workers could be spies.

On Sunday, Lorenzana reacted anew to Zhao’s supposed statement and said that “that’s the most preposterous statement I heard in a long while.”

The defense chief stressed that “POGO workers here are not comparable to Overseas Filipino Workers in China.”

He cited that OFWs have legitimate work purpose and are widely dispersed in China “far away from military camps.”

• knorrknorr PExer
    edited August 2019

.                                     .

• .                       .

• .                                                    .

• .                                         .
  • lechon xlechon x PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

hirap na nga ba si Panelo kung paano ma e save ang boss nyang may mental disorder?