COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

ABS-CBN HD KPExTalk 596: No Baggage! We have 600M reasons to Celebrate Record Breaking Success!

Comments

• Dark10163Dark10163 Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️

Kween Ly-kuh in her most horrific role ever. 

Gondoh kayo, mga sizzum? :giggle:

Baka siya ang bumida sa Spirits remake.
  • Pork BarbecuePork Barbecue ✫N❤STALGIA✫ PEx Expert 🎖️
    edited September 2018
    ny15 said:
    Ang baba ng ratings ng NAK..Hindi na magtatagal yan..haha
    Kitkit ikaw ba yan? Mas tatagal naman to sa bored for you.
  • polevshchikovpolevshchikov Relentless PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    totobits said:

The Barretos :beauty:

Si Dani talaga ang pinakahubadera sa kanilang 3 hehehe
  • mp4chikitita1mp4chikitita1 Member PEx Expert 🎖️

• JeSuisBillyJeSuisBilly A Better Me! PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Paafak sa bagong mansyon, mga kafams na magaganda at kay villy voy na gwapo :kiss:
    Magandang gabi rin :) 
  • Elma_MonroeElma_Monroe PEx Expert 🎖️
    ny15 said:
    Ang baba ng ratings ng NAK..Hindi na magtatagal yan..haha
    Kitkit ikaw ba yan? Mas tatagal naman to sa bored for you.
    Si @skin27 yan cyst. Tingnan mo parehas silang tambay sports subforum :giggle:
  • riekerrieker BRILLIANT! PEx Expert 🎖️
    Kalurks. Engaged pala sina David Foster and Katherine McPhee... 
  • Elma_MonroeElma_Monroe PEx Expert 🎖️
    Hello admin @yesto may serial flagger po ulit dito sa kpex:

@more_love po ang alternick :giggle:
  • totobitstotobits Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️

#NgayonAtKailanman :lol:
    Dapay Advance Magisip ang Thread Title baka nasa 500m na niyan.:lol:
  • jag_meets_jofjag_meets_jof Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    FruitSoda said:
    Hi guys! Just visiting the thread to share some insights about Goyo. Wala dapat sa plano 'to pero the film deserves a lot of love. Alam ko mixed ang feedback sa movie but I do hope na mabigyan niyo siya ng chance. Unpopular opinion pero nagustuhan ko siya as much as Heneral Luna, maybe even more. Maraming tao ang magdi-disagree sakin dito kasi narrative-wise, superior talaga ang Luna pero there's something with Goyo that's worth watching at naapektuhan ako. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Sana suportahan rin siya like Miss Granny and The Hows of Us. The movie needs our support. Pasensya na rin kung may errors sa pagkakasulat. Medyo minadali. 
    Thank you sa space.  :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“ Baka nga tama lang na tawagin tayong mga Pilipinong bata.” This was the line that struck me the most in this film – and it turned out to take the center stage as this story’s core message as well. Goyo was never meant to be an optimistic film. Its aim was to really show the darkness of the Philippines during an era where everything was supposed to look peaceful and happy. There was an unsettling silence in the movie that I really adored for it showed tragedy in beauty. Perhaps, that’s what made it stand-out, for me, tone-wise. It wasn’t afraid to be somber and more subdued compared to its predecessor which seemed a little campier. In addition to this, the musical scoring was also a haunting spectacle. It was a delight to the ears for it added so much “epicness” into the film. The background music fleshed out whatever emotion was necessary for the scene. There is no question with the production value of the said flick though – every frame was arresting and magical in its own right.

Another aspect that astounded me was the visual storytelling of the narrative. It made real use of irony in some of the most important scenes and those honestly gave me goosebumps. A salient message is always coupled with a scene that contradicts it. This decision was so powerful, in my opinion, for it represented the confusing atmosphere of the nation back then. Celebrations were basically ubiquitous and people seemed to enjoy their time but behind this glorious façade was a country being slowly consumed by a beast that blinds us. In “Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral,” bravery was never the driving fuel of the characters – it was cowardice, and it showed us how this ‘cowardice’ could slowly break us apart if one lets it take over the game.

What I liked most about the movie’s approach with “Goyo” as a character was that he was never glorified and put on a pedestal as a hero. Instead, he was depicted as a tragic figure of the toxic ”blindness” he got himself into. In retrospect, he wasn’t even the protagonist of his own film. It was the problematic principle that made everything move. It’s just that he was one of the greatest representations of our downfall – and the death of whatever conscience and nationalism may be left in the country. Gregorio Del Pillar was neither great nor evil. He was just a soldier attempting to fulfill his duties despite the despairing circumstances that surround his mission. I guess what makes him revolutionary as a hero of a historical movie is that he’s not revolutionary, but rather, someone who is conflicted between following orders and doing what he thinks is right morally.

Comparisons between this film and ‘Heneral Luna’ are inevitable though. The latter was such a colossal success that whatever follows it will forever pale in comparison. However, this is not the case for Goyo, at least for me. Although connected, these two movies are very different in terms of approach and story. I thoroughly enjoyed ‘Luna’ with its refreshing style of narrative and complex characterization of what seemed to be the best leader we never had. This flick, though, captivated me with its own manner of telling a wonderful story. I can see why most people did not enjoy the movie as much as its forerunner though. Heneral Luna gets his appeal from his relatable antics and principles. For Goyo, it was his flaws that made him seem very reachable and personal. He was never really meant to be a radical leader just like General Luna. He is simply just a boy forced to wear a suit and give up his youth for the sake of his duty to the country. He needed to grow up rapidly to save his kababayans and as a result, his immaturity becomes more ostensible than usual. Yes, he may not be as powerful and strong-willed as THE GENERAL that we all loved but he’s multi-dimensional, and that’s what makes him similar to all of us. Not everybody can be the revolutionary Heneral Luna but anybody can be a confused Goyo.

Paulo Avelino’s performance as the lead was sufficient. He was able to provide the charm necessary to make his character work and you could see how much of a capable actor he is. It’s just that portraying Del Pillar is not an acting piece - and I guess everybody knows this by now. The supporting actors were also excellent in their respective parts. Mon Confiado’s Emilio Aguinaldo showed conviction and vulnerability at the same time. His character had a really big part on the story – and one needs to watch out for his journey here. Remedios, who was Gregorio’s love interest, had an interesting though admittingly, lacking journey as a character. Nevertheless, her dynamics with Goyo was a joy to watch. Joven, who served as the film’s narrator in both films of the said franchise, returned once again to serve as the light to the lead’s mysterious personality and eyes to the harsh realities of that era. Apolinario Mabini’s words are something to look forward to and he’s one of those characters you would root for – even more than the protagonist himself.

“Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral” made the hopeless journey to war look beautiful. Sure, it wasn’t impeccable and I didn’t like some elements myself too like the length of the whole film (which I guess was a little too long?) and found some things lacking like the holistic characterization of Goyo (I wanted to more of him as a son, brother, friend, etc.) but these are not going to take away my penchant for the masterpiece. Overall, this feels a little more personal and closer-to-home than any historical flick. It was able to let me immerse in a world, which surprisingly, is so much similar to the political climate of the country right now where anarchy becomes the perceived key to please people. Goyo proves that the most dangerous dungeon is the one created by our own minds – fanaticism, and it can kill lives.

Wow! Brilliant! What journalistic talent you have! Your movie review was very insightful and well written. I read your whole review and it made me feel obligated to watch Goyo - the movie. Your review might be better than the movie itself.
  • Dark10163Dark10163 Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Hello admin @yesto may serial flagger po ulit dito sa kpex:

@more_love po ang alternick :giggle:
    Naabuso na yung flag button
  • kingk0ng123kingk0ng123 Listener PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    edited September 2018

Back to normal na, back to Peter Musngi na :giggle:

Nicki Minaj vs Cardi B PH version
    Dark10163 said:
    totobits said:

The Barretos :beauty:
    Pasko  nga ang tema ng suot niya. Anung event yan?
    18th birthday ni Juliana Gomez

starstudioph Just In: Vice Ganda with Korina Sanchez, Herbert Bautista, Maymay Entrata and Brian Zobel (witness from Guinness Records) at the Ganda For All crowd in Araneta. This event attempts to beat the world record of most people applying lipstick at the same time. #GandangPangWorldRecord#GandaForAll
  • maldito_ako!maldito_ako! ... since birth ... PEx Expert 🎖️
    Grabe ang THOU dito bukas sa madrid, in 3 cinemas  !!
  • maldito_ako!maldito_ako! ... since birth ... PEx Expert 🎖️
    edited September 2018
    Dapat pabilisin nila cuento ng NAK, boring siya panoorin.
    Hindi bagay joswa ang character role niya, pati yung kay jameson.
    Pag hindi pa ren mag pick ang ratings, dapat sukuan na ng star cinema ang joshlia.
This discussion has been closed.