Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Disney's Live Action MULAN (2020)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

PRODUCTION BEGINS ON DISNEY’S LIVE-ACTION “MULAN”

Epic Tale of Legendary Chinese Warrior Comes to Life with

Cast Including Liu Yifei, Donnie Yen, Jason Scott Lee with

Gong Li and Jet Li Directed by Niki Caro

Production on Disney’s “Mulan,” a live-action adaptation of the studio’s 1998 animated feature, has begun. The film will shoot on locations in New Zealand and China and will open in Philippine theaters on March 27, 2020. 

Liu Yifei (“The Forbidden Kingdom,” “Once Upon a Time”) was cast as Hua Mulan following a year-long global casting search. Joining her in the film are: Donnie Yen (“Star Wars: Rogue One”); Jason Scott Lee (“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny”); Yoson An (“The Meg”); Utkarsh Ambudkar (“Pitch Perfect”); Ron Yuan (“Marco Polo”); Tzi Ma (“Arrival”); Rosalind Chao (“Star Trek: Deep Space Nine”); Cheng Pei-Pei (“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”); Nelson Lee;  Chum Ehelepola; with Gong Li (“Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Raise the Red Lantern”) and Jet Li (“Shaolin Temple,” “Lethal Weapon 4”).

“Mulan” is the epic adventure of a fearless young woman who masquerades as a man in order to fight Northern Invaders attacking China. The eldest daughter of an honored warrior, Hua Mulan is spirited, determined and quick on her feet. When the Emperor issues a decree that one man per family must serve in the Imperial Army, she steps in to take the place of her ailing father as Hua Jun, becoming one of China’s greatest warriors ever.

“Mulan” is directed by Niki Caro (“Whale Rider,” “McFarland USA”) from a screenplay by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (“Jurassic World,” “In the Heart of the Sea”) and Elizabeth Martin & Lauren Hynek based on the narrative poem “The Ballad of Mulan.” The producers are Jason T. Reed (“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”), Chris Bender (“A History of Violence”) and Jake Weiner (“Criminal”) with Barrie M. Osborne (“The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King“), Bill Kong (“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” “Monster Hunt”) and Tim Coddington (“Crazy Rich Asians”) serving as executive producers.

Disney’s animated feature, which was released in 1998, starred Ming-Na Wen, Miguel Ferrer and Eddie Murphy and was nominated for an Oscar® and two Golden Globe® Awards.

The story of the legendary warrior is one of China’s most popular folktales, and is still a part of the curriculum in Chinese schools today.

About Walt Disney Studios:

For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios; Disneynature; Marvel Studios; and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!.

Comments

• pink_skiespink_skies PEx Rookie ⭐
    I'm super excited for this! Mulan has always been the most badass Disney princess, but there's news that they won't be casting a Captain Shang. :( I don't know how they can work the story without such a major character in the animated version.
  • audreyjaneaudreyjane ♡ PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️

Disney's Mulan - Official Teaser

• audreyjaneaudreyjane ♡ PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️

#Mulan
    #Disney
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

Disney's Mulan | Official Trailer

• kidrenderkidrender PEx Rookie ⭐

Mulan's Reflection Gets a Fresh Take From Moira Dela Torre

All eyes are now set to the live-adaptation of one of Disney’s beloved movies, Mulan. As the 2020 reimagined version of the movie is set to hit Philippine cinemas in a few weeks, Disney Philippines introduces a new voice to the movie’s iconic song- Reflection. The powerful ballad which captured the hearts of Disney fans of all generations receives a fresh rendition from the most streamed Filipina artist, Moira Dela Torre. Disney collaborated with her for a localized version of the film’s most endeared song written and produced by Matthew Wilder and David Zippel. 

Attendees during the listening party were among the first to hear Moira’s rendition of “Reflection” and were also given a special sneak peek into the upcoming music video.

When asked how Moira felt when she discovered that Disney is tapping her to sing “Reflection” for fans in the Philippines, the songstress said, “I became very emotional, because ‘Reflection’ is very special to me. It’s the first-ever song I performed in public, and also the first full song that I learned on my own. It basically launched my love for music.”

Moira also shared how the song perfectly reflects how her life has been. “It's funny how it speaks about self-doubt and questioning who you see on the mirror every day. That's basically me, but every time I feel that happening now, I feel braver. This song came back at a perfect time in my life, and I could only be happy and grateful."

To her, being able to give justice to the iconic song would be a great honor, knowing how this can inspire and empower today’s generation of young Filipino girls. 

Disney’s “Mulan” arrives in Philippine theaters on March 25, 2020. Join the conversations online at #MulanPH.

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Theatrical release date on hold