Joker (Starring Joaquin Phoenix)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
edited October 15 in International Movies

JOAQUIN PHOENIX SET TO STAR IN TODD PHILLIPS’

JOKER ORIGIN STORY

Warner Bros. Pictures announced that Joaquin Phoenix will star in an origin story of one of DC’s most notorious Super-Villains, the Joker.  

Under the direction of Todd Phillips, the film centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen.  Phillips’ exploration of a man disregarded by society is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.

Phillips will direct from a screenplay he co-wrote with writer Scott Silver (“The Fighter”).  The film will be produced by Emma Tillinger Koskoff and executive produced by Richard Baratta.  The film begins production later this year.

One of today’s most versatile actors, Phoenix has been honored with three Oscar nominations, for his work in Paul Thomas Anderson’s “The Master,” James Mangold’s “Walk the Line,” in which he starred as Johnny Cash, and Ridley Scott’s “Gladiator.”  He won Best Actor at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017 for Lynne Ramsey’s “You Were Never Really Here,” and has also earned acclaim for his work in numerous films, including Spike Jonze’s “Her.”  His most recent film, Gus Van Sant’s “Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot,” premiered at Sundance this year.

The film will be distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

PRODUCTION IS UNDERWAY ON WARNER BROS. PICTURES’ “JOKER”

Todd Phillips helms a gritty origin story starring

Joaquin Phoenix and Robert De Niro

Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Joker,” starring Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro, and directed, produced and co-written by Oscar nominee Todd Phillips.

“Joker” centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen.  Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck (Phoenix), a man disregarded by society, is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.  

The film also stars Zazie Beetz (“Deadpool 2”), Bill Camp (“Red Sparrow,” “Molly’s Game”), Frances Conroy (TV’s “American Horror Story,” Hulu’s “Castle Rock”), Brett Cullen (“42,” Netflix’s “Narcos”), Glenn Fleshler (TV’s “Billions,” “Barry”), Douglas Hodge (“Red Sparrow,” TV’s “Penny Dreadful”), Marc Maron (TV’s “Maron,” “GLOW”), Josh Pais (upcoming “Motherless Brooklyn,” “Going in Style”), and Shea Whigham (upcoming “First Man,” “Kong: Skull Island”).

Phillips (“The Hangover” trilogy) directs from a screenplay he co-wrote with writer Scott Silver (“The Fighter”), based on characters from DC.  The film is being produced by Phillips and Bradley Cooper under their Joint Effort banner, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff.   It is executive produced by Richard Baratta, Joseph Garner and Bruce Berman.

Behind the scenes, Phillips is joined by director of photography Lawrence Sher (upcoming “Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” “The Hangover” trilogy), production designer Mark Friedberg (“Selma,” “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”), editor Jeff Groth (“War Dogs,” “The Hangover Part III”), and Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges (“Phantom Thread,” “The Artist”).

A Warner Bros. Pictures presentation, in Association with Village Roadshow Pictures, in Association with BRON Creative, a Joint Effort Production, “Joker” is set for release October 4, 2019, and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.

• renaissance11renaissance11 for the better PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Mukang maganda ito
    Joker Poster

The trailer was unveiled today on US Cinemacon. Not yet available online though
  • MilliardoMilliardo Team Valor PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Trailer is now out, and by the looks of it, it will be a very, very dark movie...
    edited April 4

JOKER TEASER TRAILER PUTS THE SPOTLIGHT ON BATMAN’S NEMESIS

Watch the teaser trailer for Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Joker,” starring Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro, and directed, produced and co-written by Oscar nominee Todd Phillips.

Check out the trailer below and watch “Joker” in Philippine cinemas October 3.

“Joker” centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen.  Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck (Phoenix), a man disregarded by society, is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.  

The film also stars Zazie Beetz (“Deadpool 2”), Bill Camp (“Red Sparrow”), Frances Conroy (TV’s “American Horror Story,” Hulu’s “Castle Rock”), Brett Cullen (“42,” Netflix’s “Narcos”), Glenn Fleshler (TV’s “Billions,” “Barry”), Douglas Hodge (“Red Sparrow,” TV’s “Penny Dreadful”), Marc Maron (TV’s “Maron,” “GLOW”), Josh Pais (upcoming “Motherless Brooklyn”), and Shea Whigham (“First Man,” “Kong: Skull Island”).

Phillips (“The Hangover” trilogy) directs from a screenplay he co-wrote with writer Scott Silver (“The Fighter”), based on characters from DC.  The film is being produced by Phillips and Bradley Cooper under their Joint Effort banner, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff.   It is executive produced by Richard Baratta, Joseph Garner and Bruce Berman.

“Joker” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  Use the hashtag #JokerMovie

• Mans147Mans147 Member Volleyball Vanguard
    forg said:

“Joker” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  Use the hashtag #JokerMovie

Kinda appropriate i read distributed as "disturbed" because that's the impression this trailer is giving me.  
  • GL2814.5GL2814.5 GL Mini-wog PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The trailer reminds me of a quote from Batman - The Killing Joke

"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy"

Although, in Arthur's case, it would seem like a series of "bad days" that made him into the Joker
  • NalaGidaNalaGida PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited April 12
    Wow, the trailer seems so interesting...satisfyingly dark hahaha 

THE MADNESS ESCALATES IN THE FINAL TRAILER OF JOKER 

Warner Bros. Pictures has just released the final trailer for “Joker,” starring Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro, and directed, produced and co-written by Oscar nominee Todd Phillips.

Check out the trailer below and watch “Joker” in Philippine cinemas October 3.

Director Todd Phillips “Joker” centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone fictional story not seen before on the big screen.  Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck, who is indelibly portrayed by Joaquin Phoenix, is of a man struggling to find his way in Gotham’s fractured society.  A clown-for-hire by day, he aspires to be a stand-up comic at night…but finds the joke always seems to be on him.  Caught in a cyclical existence between apathy and cruelty, Arthur makes one bad decision that brings about a chain reaction of escalating events in this gritty character study.

Arthur, who devotes himself to caring for his fragile mother, seeks out every father figure he’s never had, from wealthy businessman Thomas Wayne to TV host Murray Franklin.  Caught in a cyclical existence teetering on the precipice of reality and madness, one bad decision brings about a chain reaction of escalating, ultimately deadly, events.

Three-time Oscar nominee Phoenix (“The Master,” “Walk the Line,” “Gladiator”) stars in the titular role alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro (“Raging Bull,” “The Godfather: Part II”) as Franklin.  The film also stars Zazie Beetz (“Deadpool 2”), Frances Conroy (TV’s “American Horror Story,” Hulu’s “Castle Rock”), Marc Maron (TV’s “Maron,” “GLOW”), Bill Camp (“Red Sparrow,” “Molly’s Game”), Glenn Fleshler (TV’s “Billions,” “Barry”), Shea Whigham (“First Man,” “Kong: Skull Island”), Brett Cullen (“42,” Netflix’s “Narcos”), Douglas Hodge (“Red Sparrow,” TV’s “Penny Dreadful”) and Josh Pais (upcoming “Motherless Brooklyn,” “Going in Style”).

Like I said, this will be a very dark and disturbing movie which might make people uncomfortable...
  • NalaGidaNalaGida PEx Rookie ⭐
    getting more excited nearing the showing date, especially since I read that it received an 8-minute standing ovation during its premiere night at Venice Film Festival WOW
  • drei221drei221 Headbang PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Paano ito makaka relate sa ibang DCEU movies? Lalo na sa Jared Leto Joker sa Suicide Squad?
    ^ standalone story, not connected with any previous DC films
    8-minute standing ovation? O.M.G. Now we know the trailers were worth it.

SEE THE ANTI-HERO UP CLOSE IN TWO NEW JOKER POSTERS 

Warner Bros. Pictures has just unveiled two new posters for “Joker,” starring Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro, and directed, produced and co-written by Oscar nominee Todd Phillips.

Check out the one-sheet artworks below and watch “Joker” in Philippine cinemas October 3.

edited September 11

JOKER -- AN ORIGIN STORY LIKE YOU’VE NEVER SEEN

Warner Bros. Pictures’ new critically acclaimed drama “Joker,” the winner of this year’s Golden Lion (equivalent to Best Picture) at the Venice Film Festival, is an original, standalone origin of this infamous character, the tale of an atmosphere of unrest fostering a man on the brink who, like his city—and likely, because of it—grows closer to the precipice.

This is not the Gotham, nor the Joker, one would recognize from 80 years of established storytelling depicted on the page or screen.  

Directed, co-written and produced by Todd Phillips, “Joker” is the filmmaker’s original vision of the infamous DC villain, an origin story infused with, but distinctly outside, the character’s more traditional mythologies.  Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck, who is indelibly portrayed by Joaquin Phoenix, is of a man struggling to find his way in Gotham’s fractured society.  Longing for any light to shine on him, he tries his hand as a stand-up comic, but finds the joke always seems to be on him.  Caught in a cyclical existence between apathy and cruelty and, ultimately, betrayal, Arthur makes one bad decision after another that brings about a chain reaction of escalating events in this gritty, allegorical character study.

Phillips allows, “I love the complexity of Joker and felt his origin would be worth exploring on film, since nobody’s done that and even in the canon he has no formalized beginning. So, Scott Silver and I wrote a version of a complex and complicated character, and how he might evolve...and then devolve. That is what interested me—not a Joker story, but the story of becoming Joker.”

The film features just enough Gotham landmarks, deftly woven into its grimy landscape, to situate the audience and allow star Joaquin Phoenix’s hypnotically raw performance to evoke the requisite emotions to take this journey with Arthur through the city’s—and eventually his own—darker side.  “One of the themes we wanted to explore with the movie is empathy and, more importantly, the lack of empathy that is present in so much of Arthur’s world,” Phillips states.

“For example,” he continues, “in the movie you see the difference in the way little kids and adults react to Arthur, because kids see the world through no lens; they don’t see rich versus poor or understand a marginalized individual the way adults do.  They just see Arthur as a guy who’s trying to make them smile.  It’s not inherent, we have to learn how to be unaccepting of others and, unfortunately, we usually do.”

Silver says, “He starts out just wanting to make people laugh, trying to put a smile on their faces.  That’s why he’s a clown, why he dreams of becoming a stand-up comic.  He just wants to bring some joy into the world.  But then the toxic environment of Gotham breaks him down—the lack of compassion and empathy, the loss of civility… That’s what creates our Joker.”

The Arthur that Phillips and Silver created is caught in a cyclical existence of misread cues.  Even Arthur’s uncontrollable, inappropriate laughter, which gains momentum as he attempts to contain it, garners no sympathy from those he encounters in his daily life, exposing him to further ridicule and alienation from Gotham society.  “Nowadays, what he has is a recognized syndrome, but in the time our story is set, it was not really diagnosed, though it was a real condition,” the filmmaker explains.

Phoenix concedes that, even during filming, “There were times when I found myself feeling for him, even feeling like I understood his motivation, and in the next moment I would be repulsed by the decisions he made.  Playing this character was challenging for me as an actor, and I knew he would also challenge the audience and their preconceived ideas about the Joker, because in his fictional world, like in our real world, there are no easy answers.”

“We often talk about the tip of the iceberg, but we rarely speak about what’s underneath—about what gets you there,” Phillips asserts.  “Arthur is the guy you see on the street who you walk right past…or over.  With this movie we’re hoping to get a peek at what’s below the surface.”

In Philippine cinemas Thursday, October 3, “Joker” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  

JOAQUIN PHOENIX DELIVERS AN ASTONISHING PERFORMANCE 

AS THE JOKER

Director-writer Todd Phillips not only cast Oscar-nominated actor Joaquin Phoenix for the lead character of Arthur Fleck in Warner Bros. Pictures’ new thriller “Joker” but wrote the part with him in mind.  

“Joaquin’s previous work always stuck with me, but what I really like about him is his style and his unpredictability, which we felt would very much fit into this character,” Phillips offers.  “While other people are doing math, Joaquin is playing jazz.  He’s just one of the greatest, he’s fearless; his work is brave and vulnerable, and I thought if we could get him, we could really do something special.”

Though he’d resisted any sort of genre-inspired projects in the past, the actor was intrigued when he read the script.  “I thought it was bold and complex and like nothing I’d ever read before.  Todd has a unique way of looking at things that is really perfect, I think, for this movie,” Phoenix observes.  “When I work with a director, I want somebody who has a singular take on the material, and nobody could have made this movie but Todd.”

“Joker,” the winner of this year’s Golden Lion (equivalent to Best Picture) at the Venice Film Festival, is Todd Phillips’ original vision of the infamous DC villain, an origin story infused with, but distinctly outside, the character’s more traditional mythologies.  Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck is of a man struggling to find his way in Gotham’s fractured society.  Longing for any light to shine on him, he tries his hand as a stand-up comic, but finds the joke always seems to be on him.  Caught in a cyclical existence between apathy and cruelty and, ultimately, betrayal, Arthur makes one bad decision after another that brings about a chain reaction of escalating events in this gritty, allegorical character study.

Why he is the way he is will not always remain a mystery to Arthur, Phillips allows, but when we first meet him, he says, “Arthur is this guy who’s very much like, ‘I’m going to be the person you want me to be.  I’m going to be proper, I’m going to take the bus and sit here quietly and not interact,’ and so forth.”  But, like a dog that’s been kicked repeatedly by its owner, sooner or later “this time” will be the last time.  “There’s always an inner part of him that has to try to be true to himself, to who he is becoming, and over the course of the story we see it coming out, little by little.”

The truth of Arthur is complex.  He attempts to do stand-up, his dream vocation and one for which he prepares by watching other comics, hoping to catch their tone and timing and adopt it for his own.  Hoping that he, like they, will captivate an audience with witty observations and find an even larger form of acceptance in their applause.  “Unfortunately, how he sees the world and, frankly, what he thinks is funny don’t really work,” Phoenix describes.  “He doesn’t understand their kind of humor and he isn’t able to mimic it, either.”  

Much of that character building came about through Phoenix’s preparations for the role, taking a cerebral preparation and turning it corporal. Phillips concludes, “All the preparation disappears into the performance.   Joaquin is so methodical about it that there’s not one moment where you see him switch from Arthur to Joker, it’s all done with a very measured pace.”

In Philippine cinemas Thursday, October 3, “Joker” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  Use the hashtag #JokerMovie

COSTUME & MAKE-UP: DESIGNING THE LOOK OF THE NEW “JOKER”

To create the new costumes in Warner Bros. Pictures’ new psychological thriller “Joker,” director Todd Phillips sought out costume designer Mark Bridges, who had designed for lead actor Joaquin Phoenix (Arthur Fleck aka Joker) in both the latter’s acclaimed films “The Master” and “Inherent Vice.”  

Bridges was flattered when Phillips reached out.  “Todd sent a lovely note that said that he had this project coming up and would I consider working on it.  Certainly to get a note like that from someone of Todd’s caliber… And of course working with an old friend like Joaquin is truly a joy for me.  We have a wonderful back and forth and I trust him.  We talk and he’s quite open to my suggestions as to how best represent on the outside this person he’s working on on the inside.  So, all the pieces fell into place based on Todd’s personal request.”

Arthur Fleck’s Joker Suit

When it came down to the actual Joker costume for the film, Bridges happily reports that its design was, in part, written into the script as “a rust suit Arthur has had for many years.”  Still, he confesses, “You have a million thoughts running through your mind and there’s a little bit of external pressure to serve the fans as well as the piece.  But ultimately my work comes down to telling this particular story, where the outfit has to be something very organic to the character: pieces we’ve seen Arthur wear before, now reassembled to become what Joker wears.”

Working backwards, Bridges was able to determine when and how much of the building blocks to the final look would appear throughout the story.  “I started from the beginning and then took it on a journey—this piece in the comedy club, how it gets recombined with different items at different beats—to get to the final result.  When Joaquin and I had our final fitting for the full suit, it was all put together with the right shirt, the right waistcoat… It was dead-on `70s with a slightly longer line in the jacket, and he took on a strange, slinky confidence that he doesn’t have as Arthur, but which was just right for Joker.  To me, that was really satisfying.”

Phoenix agrees, “As Joker, he walks tall.  He’s confident.  Prior to that it’s like he was a shell of himself.”

The Joker Make-Up

Throughout the film, Arthur dons a clown face of varying degrees for various performances.  His ultimate Joker look was designed by Phillips and Phoenix as an exaggerated version of Arthur’s regular maquillage and executed to perfection by make-up department head Nicki Lederman and her team, utilizing the basic red and green of Arthur’s clown character.  Lederman herself created a unique shade for Arthur’s tears from various pigments she had on hand, dubbing it antique blue.

In Philippine cinemas Thursday, October 3, “Joker” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company.  

October 3 couldn't come long enough...already ready for it.
    edited September 30

CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED JOKER RATED R-16

WITHOUT CUTS IN PH

Opening in Philippine cinemas this Thursday, October 3, Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Joker,” one of the most eagerly anticipated films of the year, has been rated R-16 Without Cuts by the Movie and Television Review & Classification Board (MTRCB).

In its official review report, the MTRCB writes, “Viewers are advised that the film deals with mature themes…There are scenes depicting graphic violence and gore, the treatment of which is not suitable for children, and use of strong swear words throughout. Only viewers sixteen (16) years of age and above may be admitted.”

“Joker” earlier won the coveted Golden Lion prize at this year’s edition of the prestigious Venice Film Festival, boosting its stature as as prime contender for the upcoming Academy Awards.

Currently has an impressive 77% Fresh Rating at Rotten Tomatoes, “Joker” has likewise been a hit with critics, with a consensus that the film “gives its infamous central character a chillingly plausible origin story that serves as a brilliant showcase for its star -- and a dark evolution for comics-inspired cinema.”

“Joker” is distributed in the Philippines by Warner Bros. Pictures, a WarnerMedia Company

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file