COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here

105.9 LIKE-FM

Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
It's the new station that will take over Retro 105.9 starting today. Now on test broadcast, the station will be manned by two Retro origs, JJ Sparks and Jimmy Jam, who'll serve as station manager and music director, respectively. Curiously, these were the positions occupied by the two when they established Retro some 4 years back.

The format will be 80's music, which seems that they'll go head-to-head with FM2. Jam's musical background is an advantage - his vast knowledge of music from practically all eras will serve him well. His particular strength though will be the 80's, the time when he debuted on Philippine radio. Jam has always wanted a more disciplined programming approach, which, if he gets his way, would mean that the programming would be dictated by a fixed playlist prepared in advance.

Sparks, on the other hand, and according to sources, was able to convince Korean investors to put in the investment and take over Retro. The previous blocktimers allegedly had debts to pay to Brightstar of the Aguirre family, the frequency owners, hence, the takeover. 

Sparks and Jam will be the first two DJ's of Like-FM although it won't be surprising to hear more in the future. 

Good luck, LIKE-FM!

Comments

• James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member ✭✭✭
    What will happen to Triggerman, Karen and Joshua?
    Is it true that there will be some Top 40 current pop hits in Like FM?
  • ralphierceralphierce Member
    It's the new station that will take over Retro 105.9 starting today. Now on test broadcast, the station will be manned by two Retro origs, JJ Sparks and Jimmy Jam, who'll serve as station manager and music director, respectively. Curiously, these were the positions occupied by the two when they established Retro some 4 years back.

The format will be 80's music, which seems that they'll go head-to-head with FM2. Jam's musical background is an advantage - his vast knowledge of music from practically all eras will serve him well. His particular strength though will be the 80's, the time when he debuted on Philippine radio. Jam has always wanted a more disciplined programming approach, which, if he gets his way, would mean that the programming would be dictated by a fixed playlist prepared in advance.

Sparks, on the other hand, and according to sources, was able to convince Korean investors to put in the investment and take over Retro. The previous blocktimers allegedly had debts to pay to Brightstar of the Aguirre family, the frequency owners, hence, the takeover. 

Sparks and Jam will be the first two DJ's of Like-FM although it won't be surprising to hear more in the future. 

Good luck, LIKE-FM!
    I don't think they'll keep Retro's old format. Based on the songs they played so far, it appears they'll be part-classics and part-Top 40, which in essence make them sound like a combination of FM1 and FM2. 
  • sirmacsirmac Member ✭✭
    Yes. More like a crossover between K-Lite & Mellow.

Good luck, LIKE-FM!
    I don't think they'll keep Retro's old format. Based on the songs they played so far, it appears they'll be part-classics and part-Top 40, which in essence make them sound like a combination of FM1 and FM2. 
    I hope they get advertisers so that they can sway listeners from FM1 and FM2.
    sirmac said:
    I hope Like FM gets former FM1 and Mellow DJ Tracy Abad.
  • muneakiramuneakira Member ✭✭
    sirmac said:
    I hope Like FM gets former FM1 and Mellow DJ Tracy Abad.
    Hasn’t she left radio for good? Otherwise, why didn’t she go back to FM1 after getting married?
  • sirmacsirmac Member ✭✭
    It's off the air as of today.
  • broadcast64broadcast64 Member
    Hope they stick to predominantly 80's music though I will miss the disco tunes of the 70s.
  • sirmacsirmac Member ✭✭
    It's on air again as of this afternoon.
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop I Am WHIP ✭✭✭
    yea. confused as hell kahapon.

LIKE FM. 

let's see how this goes. 

• Transmitter wattage from 20,000 watts iincreasing daw to 30,000 watts & according to my unkown source they will install Digital HD Radio system very soon para malinaw ang sound & stereo pa........
    satoshi42 said:
    Transmitter wattage from 20,000 watts iincreasing daw to 30,000 watts & according to my unkown source they will install Digital HD Radio system very soon para malinaw ang sound & stereo pa........
    Do you mean “anonymous” source, or is your source actually unknown to you?

Good, if they’re investing in digital HD transmission and boosting their power. Hopefully they can cut through all the splatter generated by the Vera stations in Paragon Plaza.

Also, they’re already broadcasting in stereo. FM in mono sounds awful, and no one does that by default.

• BeerhandBopBeerhandBop I Am WHIP ✭✭✭
    hope they start investing in DJs again. 
    satoshi42 said:
    Transmitter wattage from 20,000 watts iincreasing daw to 30,000 watts & according to my unkown source they will install Digital HD Radio system very soon para malinaw ang sound & stereo pa........
    Its good to hear that they shall also go HD after I think 2 other stations. But the problem here is, HOW MANY DIGITAL HD RECEIVERS ARE OUT THERE in mega Manila? AFAIK, you can only order it online. And its not cheap.
    Based on the playlist this morning, they play an 80's song for every 4-5 current songs (Ed Sheeran, Paramour, Adele, etc). So how de we categorize this new incarnation of 105.9?

• sirmacsirmac Member ✭✭
    So how do we categorize this new incarnation of 105.9?

I made my observation the other night. They even played at most 3 songs from the 80s or 90s every hour. I guess this can be categorized as Adult Top 40.
    sirmac said:

I made my observation the other night. They even played at most 3 songs from the 80s or 90s every hour. I guess this can be categorized as Adult Top 40.
    In radio parlance, it’s called Adult Contemporary
  • sirmacsirmac Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    muneakira said:
    sirmac said:

In radio parlance, it’s called Adult Contemporary
    Not exactly. Based on my understanding, Adult Contemporary is like variety hits without the hard stuff, emphasizing on the old stuff than the recurrents & new music. One of the branches of AC is Hot AC, which is CHR without Hip Hop & Hard Rock, however, playing a handful of 90s & early 2000s. Adult Top 40 is a crossover of CHR & Hot AC, playing friendly Hip Hop & Rock titles. Based on Arbitron, Adult Top 40 & Hot AC are classified as one.
  • sirmac said:
    Tutugtog pa rin ng 5 decades of hits from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & Early 2Ks ang Like FM 105.9..........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file